Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bon Scott Vs Brian Johnson

Options
  • 19-02-2003 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Just wondering what the general feeling is on the age-old Scott v Johnson topic. It's one I have a lot of trouble deciding on. I think that under Scott, AC/DC rarely put a foot wrong as far as music is concerned, and I think that he is a better singer. On the other hand, IMO AC/DC's best album, Back In Black, came under Brian Johnson.

I think i'll have to come down on the Scott side.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Sorry guys, but I prefer Brian by far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

As much as i love, Bonn, i think Brian not only has a better voice, he writes better songs too!!!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I prefer Johnson. Because he more than lived up to what Bon Scott had already achieved and has been accepted by most AC/DC fans which would be a very hard thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Axe

Originally posted by kingconor
    Brian not only has a better voice, he writes better songs too!!!
    I'm gonna have to disagree with that one. As i mentioned before, AC/DC rarely put a foot wrong under Bon, whereas they almost lost the plot when Brian came on board and started to help in the songwriting. While Back in Black is a stunning album, after that, and until 1990, AC/DC had a huge and uncharacteristic dip in form, with such albums as For Those About To Rock, Fly On The Wall, and Blow Up Your Video. It was only when Brian stopped helping with the songs that they dug themselves out again, with the fabulous "The Razors Edge". Brian had no hand in writing any of the album. Brian doesn't help with songwriting at all now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

back in black is definitely NOT ac/dc's best album.
    high voltage is number one, followed closely by dirty deeds done dirt cheap and let there be rock.
    bonn scott was a better singer, and a slightly better live performer.

Well, sorry, but I disagree. Admittedly, AC/DC have had several fabulous albums, but IMO, its closest rival is Let There Be Rock, not High Voltage. You also have to take into account that High Voltage is in a way a "Greatest Hits" album, as it is a hybrid of the best songs from the original, Australia-release albums, High Voltage and TNT.

Also, look at the amount of songs on Back In Black which have gone down in history as being rock classics, eg. Back In Black, Hells Bells, You Shook Me All Night Long, Shoot To Thrill, Given The Dog A Bone. The rest are also equally excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

sorry to be joining so late, blasted study :(

But this debate is one well hammered out in newsgroups and forums across the globe on almost a weekly basis with the same result : INCONCLUSIVE

As always happens in this type of argument, the debate moves onto BEST ALBUM by the singer in question, which does not in any way finalise who the better is/was.
    If that was the case then Brian would be best from the sales of Back In Black. Which to my mind was obviously as popular not only becuase of the excellent contect but of the "media interest" and curiosity of the fans to see what the new man was like. So best by album does not a leadman make.

Personally I will always prefer Brian. But that is down to the fact that I prefer his voice and attitude over Bons. It doesnt mean that he is better than Bon, just my own preference.

Bon was the powerhouse of AC/DC when they began. He was the man with the lyrics, the man with the attitude. He was with them through the infancy, the brawls, the attempted bannings. He made AC/DC legends before their time.

Brian was the phoenix. He helped drag AC/DC kicking and screaming back into the limelight after what would have killed many other bands. His voice totally kicked the wind out of the music of the time, and reminded everyone that AC/DC was in no way dead.

They both have their endearing qualities, both their weaknesses. It really is pointless to try and determine who is better. Always it would come to down album preference, and those, normally, tend to be matter of taste over matter of fact.

Furthermore AC/DC are an entity no matter what members have taken part, no matter how temporary. They have had many different lineups since they began

STEVIE YOUNG | MALCOLM YOUNG
    DAVE EVANS | BON SCOTT | BRIAN JOHNSON
    MARK EVANS | CLIFF WILLIAMS
    PHILL RUDD | SIMON WRIGHT | CHRIS SLADE

Marcury_Tily said it best, Please dont disect AC/DC

edit for spelling

As much as i would like to agree, i can't really. I would also hate to degrade this perfectly good thread to a "he started it" seesion, but in my defense, i only started talking about albums in response to an earlier comment.

Moreover, I do think that the quality of music under each singer is an important factor. Under Bon, AC/DC didn't go wrong, whereas they wavered slightly under Brian.

Don't get me wrong, I think Brian Johnson is awesome! AC/DC probably couldn't have found a better replacement for Bon. I am also eternally grateful to him for his role in AC/DC's post 1980 success. The only point I was trying to make was that musically, and voice-wise, I think Bon edges it.

i think disect is a bad term
    there should always be a place for discussion like this about bands.

on a slightly different note, i bought the stiff upper lip dvd last week and it kicks ass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Is it not common knowledge that Bon actually wrote some of Back In Black? I consider them both equals, AC/DC is AC/DC no matter what, although the style has changed with the singer. Bon Gave the band the kick up the backside it needed to become a legend (has anyone seen the videos of the first singer? He was a ponce!) and Brian has managed to keep it all going.

Must admit though, at their age the lyrics are starting to sound pretty pervy...;)

Originally posted by Sarky
    Must admit though, at their age the lyrics are starting to sound pretty pervy...;)
    Yeah! Practically all of Ballbreaker is sexual in some way, with such titles as: Hard as a Rock; Cover You In Oil; Love Bomb, and; Ballbreaker itself.

public_enemy

you dead right, its a fantastic DVD. tho i cant but wonder why they didnt choose the PARIS gig to use in the content. once huge thing wrong with it is the quality of the last song - Shot Down in Flames. Someone clearly ****ed up along the way somewhere....

Sarky

common knowledge also believes other ultimately false stuff. imo, i cant believe this notion, and until i hear it from their mouths will not be moved to agree otherwise....

for the pervy comment. most reviews of AC/DC from the SUL tour will include a remark on the lyrics. that which is tradition and time honoured cannot be in anyway pervy. its as much a part of AC/DC as the Young Brothers....

Axe

if you listen to the interview included in the No Bull DVD, after the "Hard As A Rock, The Making of" section theres an interview with Brian. he makes no attempt to hide the sexist lyrics.

quote "You might think theres alot of sexist stuff on there, and you'd be dead right. But its in fun"

btw, check the GIGS sticky, you may be interested on future AC/DC Tribute Bands comin up...tis a conspiracy by SONY i tells ya !!

my only real problem with the stiff upper lip dvd is that for some reason they didn't play moneytalks that particular night.
    on the subject of dvds, rumour has it that there's a 1970's concert being pulled out of the archives for release sometime around the summer, that should be quite good...

and about the lyrics being pervy? they've said time and time again that they're just having fun. remember that back in the 70's they were called satanists after the release of highway to hell

public_enemy

akaik they have not played anything from THE RAZORS EDGE album but Thunderstruck since Chris Slade left. why they do not play more of their extensive catalogue is something only the band members know...

the dvd you are on about has been in the works for a few months and was due to be released this month, i think. BUT, for some publishing reason it has been held back :/ I have some of the songs from the now down acdc-videos.com, and they are fantastic !! Live from Hammersmith in England, its a joy to see Angus go up into the stalls in the audience and frighten the live out of the starched english audience, bar a few who could dig it.

Rocks Masters - AC/DC

check out the cover of the dvd. you can clearly see Mark Evans in the lineup. Great ! Except its Cliff Williams that plays that gig, Mark had already left !! Stupid stupid publishers.

Intersting tho that Mark is on there, especially as he has been "dis-invited" (that a word ?) from the RNR HALL OF FAME inaugeration of this preivous band. quite a shame....

i heard about the mark evans hall of fame problem...
    that should be an interesting event considering ac/dc have openly criticised the rock 'n' roll hall of fame in the past, and many people think they won't even turn up on the night. i've also heard that steven tyler is going to be the one to induct them.
    anyone if we'll get to see it in ireland?

that should have been:
    "anyone know if we get to see that in ireland?"

My point with the "pervy" bit was that they're all very old men now. The style hasn't changed much in the last 30 years. Not that that's a bad thing:)

The Hall of Fame 2003 induction is to be broadcasted on the 16th March 2003 on VH1. (USA version of the music show).
    More details available at http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/hall_of_fame/2003/

from best god dammed ac/dc news site there is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

I'm pretty sure that Bon wrote most of back in black. Brian Johnson just filled the vacancy at the time and recorded the album.

ps if anyones interested

Bass player with a good attitude wanted for a young originals band 19-26. Ideally you'll want to give backing a go(along with 2 others) and be into energetic stuff rather than coldplay type stuff.
    Influences of the band are varied and would be Punk/Metal/Rock.
    We practice in town, and are working on getting our own practice room. To be honest you don't have to be amazing just willing to be part of something.

086 8191303
    curadh8@yahoo.co.uk

• Advertisement

curadh

have you any truth to back this up ? i seriously doubt you do.

personally i find the lyrics to have a different "dimension" to them as opposed to Bons. Something a bit more "metal" about em. just a gut feeling i guess.

I think I heard it on VH1 that some riffs and bits off the album was old stuff they had worked with Bon on before but was just stuff kept from previous albums. Which kinda makes sense. Then again I just did a little search now on the album and couldn't find anything on this. Maybe I heard it wrong or maybe VH1 are up to their old tricks. Anyway sorry if I'm wrong.

I have proof. I can't give it to u tho, cos its a recording of back in black (the song) with bon singing. It is moderately different. The intro is different and some lyrics are different.

with bon singing

i think you'll find its probably Jesse Dupree from Jackyl, or indeed someone trying to pass themselves off as Bon.

post a link to it and let me judge this "back in bon" as it were....

/Me is listening to The Razor's Edge which he just got for his birthday.

Classy. Brian's voice, different as it may be to Bon's, suits the band right down to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Megadude

Originally posted by Axe
    Just wondering what the general feeling is on the age-old Scott v Johnson topic. It's one I have a lot of trouble deciding on. I think that under Scott, AC/DC rarely put a foot wrong as far as music is concerned, and I think that he is a better singer. On the other hand, IMO AC/DC's best album, Back In Black, came under Brian Johnson.

I think i'll have to come down on the Scott side.

I agree Bon Scott was a f u c k i n g legend!!

I can tell you from a vocalists point of view, Brian johnson is better than Bon Scott. Bons voice maybe could have been better though without all the abuse.
    I have to say if you could mix bons attitude with brians voice you would have a bigger band I reckon.
    Unfortunately self abuse and God given talent don't go hand in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

For me bon scott was the better singer songwriter and front man.the only album with johnson thats any good is back in black where as with bon all his albums were good notably let there be rock high voltage powerage highway to hell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a 12 year old thread resurrected before.
    ***looks around in awe***

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I prefer the Bon albums but that's more because the songs are better, regardless of who was singing.

Advertisement