Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITV Digital in ROI

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Irishblimp, if you're receiving Brougher Mt. analogue at 50dB with a mast-head amp, it's fairly certain you haven't a hope of getting Digital. Don't forget that the Digital signals are transmitted 23dB lower than the Analogue (to avoid causing interference to other transmitters such as Holywell Hill), and that a typical STB requires a clean, unamplified signal of at least 28dB before it will BEGIN to lock up. Also. it's usual to add 6-8dB to this to allow for fading, reflections and other seasonal factors, giving you a figure of about 35dB. Using a mast-head amp only degrades these levels even further. Typically, you would need to be getting about 45dB output from an amp (or about 20dB input) to have any hope of receiving digital and even at that you'ed be pushing your system to the limit! frown.gif

THanx for the replies.

Nortern Correspondent - I live near Donegal Town and signals are pretty poor

cableskeptic - The service I thought "won't be as good" was the Irish DTT coz of there being 2 channels less per Mux and if there are to be 6 Muxes, thats 12 channels less than what is possible.

Marconi - it seems any likelihood of me getting UK DTT is non-existant which is a pity. Ah well, just as well I've me trusty Murdoch-Dish on the wall!! Will just have to hope that UTV and C4 will be on soon! And wait another year until ROI DTT is launched!?!?!

WILL D

"One thing that does make me wonder is how will UK DTT suddenly disappear in ROI when our DTT takes off? How can one DTT suddenly wipe out the other especially if ROI mast was in 1 direction with UK DTT in another direction?"

To answer Irish Blimps question ( above) at least in part.
    On analogue presely in Arklow to give a specefic example , you get heavy co channel from Cairn hill , which is travelling on a much different path to presely but is eight times stronger erp - it still gets through the wicklow mountains and makes its presence felt on analog pictures in arklow.
    So applying this to Digital
    I would say a 50 kw signal with nothing in its way will wipe out a 0.5 signal from Wales frown.gif
    furthermore to recieve ITV digital from Wales properly you need an outdoor aerial and amp - this aerial is 100% likely to pick up a 50kw erp signal regardless of where your aerial is pointed ,thereby wiping out the uk mux on the same channel.
    The only exception to this I can see is of course if the offending irish dtt transmitter is blocked out by the hills around you.
    Cableskeptic what do you think?
    Proof positive of all this btw in the Arklow area is the fact that most people there didn't have to buy an additional aerial toreceive tv3/tg4 as it comes in perfectly with no ghosts on their arfon/presely aerial.
    mm

Welcome back from holidays mm. This board has been very quiet during your abscence.

I agree 100% with your reasoning. In fact you can apply your reasoning to all transmissions from NI & Wales.

Looking for the Digital future

http://www.geocities.com/gerryh123

Advertisement