Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Price Rise in ROI

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BNC:
    Gladiator, who is forcing Sky Digital on you? There is no obligation to sign up for SkyDigi service. </font>

Well if you subscribe to Sky Analogue, you pretty much have no choice now.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

I am a very recent SD subscribed, like one month, so does this mean i will have the pay incerase right away?

How come i dont get a sky mag?

your price will rise after your first year contract ends (ie) 12 months after you ordered your installation/ signed the contract.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:

Well if you subscribe to Sky Analogue, you pretty much have no choice now.

</font>

Very true, he was talking about NTL though, as I later figured out smile.gifredface.gif I wonder will it be the same case for NTL viewers when they get Digi.

Fi. They will eventually get around to sending you your mag. took them about two months to send mine out. Why dont you ring them and ask, never know you might get a freebie or something which isn't unheard of smile.gif

How do I set a laser printer to stun?

As far as i know NTL will force you to upgrade to Digital if the area is enabled for it, and NTL now have digital feeds of the sky channels even on analogue (but they are obviously converted to analogue beforehand..duh! smile.gif )

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Advertisement

jeez, thats going to go down well with a lot of people biggrin.gif. to calm any big outcry with that they would surely have to keep the pricing as it is now for the analogue service. or else introduce the service with all the "bells and whistles" ready to go on launch i.e interactive, email etc..

(this should really be in the Cable MMDS board) sorry we've gone off topic.

[This message has been edited by BNC (edited 29-07-2001).]

smile.gif BNC thankyou dare i ask do you know the phone number i should ring?

Is there anything good in the mag?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    As far as i know NTL will force you to upgrade to Digital if the area is enabled for it,
    </font>

No, NTL have not forced any of their UK subscribers to upgrade to digital (although they have done stuff like increasing analogue fees to the same as digital and/or offering free conversion). Analogue cable switch off will simply not happen for at least three years, unlike analogue Sky which will be switched off completely in September.

Can anyone supply me with a list of the exact new prices for all packs (Value, themed, Family, Sports, Movies, and World) so I can post them on the website?

hmm something tell me that the email part wont be with ntl digital in september,
    i have to wonder how they would do that anyway with out a two way cable network, unless they connected it up to the phone,

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fi:
    smile.gif BNC thankyou dare i ask do you know the phone number i should ring?

Is there anything good in the mag?

</font>

Fi- The phone number for Sky is 1800 535 767. Hope this helps

Prices also went up in UK but they're obviously not as high as here. Wonder when we can expect to see UTV, C4 (if ever), Interactive (email, betting, etc) confused.gif

WILL D

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishblimp:
    Wonder when we can expect to see UTV, C4 (if ever), Interactive (email, betting, etc) confused.gif

[/B]</font>

Well, Will, we could start taking bets now biggrin.gif

Actually the price here for Sky World is still cheaper than in the UK once you take the difference in Sterling into account. Sky World in the UK is UK£34. €53 works out at just over UK£32.

Why can't we send e-mail from sky text. The price rise is to bring us in line with the UK but we can't use all the services.Wots that all about.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by enday2k:
    Why can't we send e-mail from sky text. The price rise is to bring us in line with the UK but we can't use all the services.Wots that all about.</font>

It has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum that Sky and an undisclosed telecoms company (probably Eircom as they install dishes) are working on launching an Irish based interactive system or something in the near future. This will include email, betting etc. You will find it also somewhere in the archives (about fortnite ago) of www.electricnews.net .

WILL D

just about to order sky digtal with my £50 but it was £80, ffs, when did that happen? :S

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gideon2000:
    just about to order sky digtal with my £50 but it was £80, ffs, when did that happen? :S</font>

Been like that since beginning of July. Also now compulsory to have it connected to phoneline so if you've no landline, you get no SkyD. Why not subscribe to Sky World and get install for £60. Then after about a month or so, degrade subscription! wink.gif

WILL D

Do they not have any kind of stipulation in the contract that says you have keep the Sky World subscription for a year ? Surely everyone would take advantage of it otherwise. If not it's a great idea.

The price rise is to bring us in line with the UK but we can't use all the services.Wots that all about.

Irrespective of the Sky price rise, it beats the hell out of paying Chorus IEP18.50 monthly for their handful of channels, and dodgy service. Joe Public seems to agree, and on a daily basis I see MMDS aeriels disappear, and mini-dishes appear on my, and the the adjoining estate. One wonders how many subscribers Chorus have left...and for how long!

Re: Sky Price hike.
    There are a number of points to consider here

1. Initially, Sky were precluded from offering the free Digibox offer, so they duplicated the Irish pricing with Sterling.
    This meant Irish viewers were paying quite a bit less for say, the family pack
    (Stg £30 v. IR£30 equv. to Stg.£24 approx.)

2. The Euro excuse is to explain why the Irish prices are so uneven
    e.g. IR£ 47.42 instead of IR£ 47.50

3. The price jump was higher for the fact that subs were kept low for people who bought their equipment initially, like a lot of Irish people did.

4. The BBC addition (with more to follow) did not come cheap. If the UK terrestrials were FTA, we would see a blue screen every time a good movie or sports event went on air, leaving theae channels useless for most.

5. Finally, pd's point about people leaving Chorus for Sky is very valid.
    Chorus' service left a lot to be desired, to put it mildly, and people will pay a premium for a superb service like Sky.

I am a Sky subscriber, I don't like paying higher charges, but anything is better than what had.. no choice.

Pat,
    I couldn't agree more.
    I have the full sky package and film four ( £47 from next january), reason being , if I want a years experience of Sky so I'm able to know what is there, and fully decide what I'm likely to watch.
    I also have an ondigital box , giving me an idea what digital terrestial will be like.
    When the latter becomes available in Ireland , I will be making my informed choice based on price and programmes.
    mm
    Incidently if I went to the sky family pack , I could buy a DVD player and several rentals with the saving , or I could go for Itish DTT ( when available) and do the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement