Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longer Sets vs Larger weights

• 01-02-2003 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been working out fairly regularily for about 4 months and I do about 1 hour+ every night using dumbells (8.5kg not including bar).
    I do sets of about 20+ repetitions and 3 sets, for most of my upper body (less on shoulder presses/laterial rises and triceps) and I triceps/biceps one night, chest/shoulder another and upper back/lower back another.

For the first month or two I saw large increases in my upper body both definition and weight but things have started to slow down recently, I think this is beacuse I've run out of weights to add on (I bought the argos dumbells) and have been using the same weight for a while. I have very good definition but I don't seem to be gaining anymore weight.

Is this because
    a) I should be using heavier weights
    b) I'm not eating enough protein

I don't really want to take protein supplements etc. as they are too expensive. I try to eat protein rich foods as much as possible.

What sort of results do you get if you do longer sets with lighter weights? What is the best number of repetitions for a set in order to increase definition and size? Sould I be working out every night, or is it better to leave rest days?

DK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Ok a few things could be happening here. You say you train every night? That's 7 hours per week, if you're training at high intensity (HIT) then you're overtraining.

Leave a day between sessions, scale down to 3 or 4 sessions per week.

As regards sets/reps do in the 8 to 12 rep range for 3 to 4 sets for each body part.

If you find you're doing alot more reps than that (16 to 20) then you certainly haven't enough weight to gain maximum size.

You seem to be heading the right direction with the diet eat plenty protein rich foods, also protein supplements don't have to be expensive, check out http://www.tmof.com for good quality, cheap dublin based supplements.

Also change up your routine, if you've been doing the same exercises for the past 4 months try change em up with other things.

Keeps the muscle thinking and the boredom away.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭dragonkin

Originally posted by logic1
    Ok a few things could be happening here. You say you train every night? That's 7 hours per week, if you're training at high intensity (HIT) then you're overtraining.

Leave a day between sessions, scale down to 3 or 4 sessions per week.

OK will try this, I've been getting a little lax recently anyway.. probably because I've haven't been seeing good results in the last few months.

You seem to be heading the right direction with the diet eat plenty protein rich foods, also protein supplements don't have to be expensive, check out http://www.tmof.com for good quality, cheap dublin based supplements.

I might start taking protein supplements for a while my main worry is that once you start you can't really stop and if you stop taking them the muscel will just start to atraphy. Is there any truth in this?

Also change up your routine, if you've been doing the same exercises for the past 4 months try change em up with other things.

Keeps the muscle thinking and the boredom away.

I quite enjoy working out :) Normally have the radio on and I find its a great way to relax, so boredom isn't really a problem. I might buy a book or something with good exercises in it. Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

well bro them's sound like early gains to me, we all get em.

to increase your size your realy gonna have to put the effort in, i do agree your over training by the way.

your gonna have to lift heavier/smarter and increase your protein intake, i would definitly recomend protein powder, as logic1 suggested http://www.tmof.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

I guess that’s what it is.

Lighter weights, more reps (to complete failure) - for cut, definition, shape, firming etc.

Heavy weights, more reps (well not really, but to complete failure if you can) - for size and mass.

But be careful to not to over train. As suggested above, best thing would be a 2 days on, 1 day off scheme, where your muscles will get a chance to grow back. Believe me, once you give it a chance to grow back (relax for two days and look at yourself) you will know what I am talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭dragonkin

Originally posted by 124124
    I guess that’s what it is.

Lighter weights, more reps (to complete failure) - for cut, definition, shape, firming etc.

Heavy weights, more reps (well not really, but to complete failure if you can) - for size and mass.
    Ok I'm going to try leaving exactly 1minute between each set.. as before I was taking long periods off. Its alot harder if done like this and I get exhausted easier.
    But be careful to not to over train. As suggested above, best thing would be a 2 days on, 1 day off scheme, where your muscles will get a chance to grow back. Believe me, once you give it a chance to grow back (relax for two days and look at yourself) you will know what I am talking about.

I train everyday but I only train the same same body part every three days, so if I do my chest on monday I'll do it again on thursday. Is this not the same thing as taking two days off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Originally posted by dragonkin
    ..if done like this and I get exhausted easier.

Actually, this may be the only way to get exhausted (reach complete failure). Otherwise, one will just get bored or tired with repetition. :)

..if I do my chest on monday I'll do it again on thursday..

IMHO, it defers from person to person. I used to do crazy 5-6 times a week, but lately I found out that its actually making me look totally thin and weak - a doctor even thought I am anaemic or something. Now I am experimenting with a new pattern ie 2 on, 1 off, 1 on and 1 for circuit & swimming. So, I guess only you can answer that question of yours.

Good luck anyways! :)

Advertisement