Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated Bands?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Originally posted by s8n
    slayer
    No Way!!!!
    alot of work and years put into slayer!!!
    you should read up on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

Originally posted by Darkillion
    although i love the beatles, it must be said they are slighly over rated

finally someone who agrees! any time ive ever said that to anyone ive been attacked from all sides!

also:
    sum 41
    nirvana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The vast majority of nu metal bands are terrible. They just sound unpolished, or have no real skill. Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach spring to mind- When all's said and done, they're not actually much good, are they?

And who said Maiden and The Seedies were overrated? Grr...
    It's just because they've been around for a good 20-30 years and are still good. Rock In Rio and Stiff Upper Lip are excellent albums...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I have a couple of Metallica albums, and tbh I can't see what all the fuss is about..The guitar is good enough, but i can't stand Hetfield's (sp?) voice.

The sound of his singing haas changed a lot over the years. Got a lot deeper and less screamy from around the Black album onwards. Personally I preferred when he was all shrieking a la Whiplash and Battery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Creed. Can't stand them one little bit, to put it mildly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Offspring (God spare me)
    they used to be good. Ix Nay On The Hombre is a brilliant album, but the last one sucked balls.

over rated bands:

U2
    the hives
    the strokes
    slayer
    REM
    RHCP - they are good, not the best.

its all personal opinions though.

ferdi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Megadude

Nirvana were over rated but they were a very good band all the same. same goes for the beatles

i also think the following are over rated: GNR, metallica, megadeth, iron maiden (though they aint bad!), most nu metal (cept soad and a few others, all that pop crap etc

Stupid person! The Beatles overrated? Nirvana may have been a little, but not much, but The Beatles? The Beatles invented the idea of a band experimenting, challenging everything and actually writing their own tunes. What age are you 10?

All Nu-Metal is overrated s h i t! Coldplay, Travis, Sum41, AAF, The Hives, Stereophonics, U2.....are all overrated s h i t e!!

Pearl Jam are overrated, so are REM, Foo Fighters, mostly everything on MTV actually. B o l l o c k s to the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I can't say Pearl Jam are over-rated at all - on the contrary, they seem to be under-rated because they refuse to re-record Ten under a new name.

I have to agree with Coldplay and the Stereophonics being over-rated. I've never seen the attraction of either. Does nobody else think Kelly Jones' voice (think that's his name) is extremely irritating after 30 seconds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭reigninblood

Although I think Dave Grohl is gifted beyond belief I think The foo fighters are over-rated. He could have set up any kind of band from metal to soft-rock and they would have been good at what the do (or at least he would) I think the Foos are an easy way out. Radio friendly rock that guarantees him good record sales. He should have gone for something more edgy. And he should be a drummer

Originally posted by reigninblood
    Although I think Dave Grohl is gifted beyond belief I think The foo fighters are over-rated. He could have set up any kind of band from metal to soft-rock and they would have been good at what the do (or at least he would) I think the Foos are an easy way out. Radio friendly rock that guarantees him good record sales. He should have gone for something more edgy. And he should be a drummer

The Foo Fighters latest offering of s h i t e is like music for US Air Force pilots or something. Kaka poo poo

...."you can do it dude, nothing can stop you, USA, USA!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Pink Floyd - I've tried listening, but it get bored almost to tears...

Audioslave - great musicians all, but the music doesn't do for me what RATM or Soundgarden's did. I know they're not trying to copy their previous bands, but I guess I just expected more.

Tool - good music, very good music infact, but not the best I've ever heard by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭reigninblood

Pink Floyd - I've tried listening, but it get bored almost to tears...

Dunno if i could ever say anything was the best i've ever heard. If ya held a gun against my head i reckon i'd say Tool.
    They say they put ancient "magik" parables and other big word thingies in their stuff that captivates people. When ya think about it nearly evry1 who really listens to them loves them. But why. I love them and i havent a clue why! **** now i'm ****tin myself!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ohandels

Limp Bizkit
    Nickleback
    Oasis
    Coldplay

Nickleback?

Definately overrated, but they certainly aren't the worst. I've heard one or two interesting songs off them(except for How You Remind Me. That would have been good if idiots didn't request it all day, every day, on every damn radio station. People are idiots.). And There's guitar solos in there, which is rare for "nu" bands.

Originally posted by Sarky
    Nickleback?

Definately overrated, but they certainly aren't the worst. I've heard one or two interesting songs off them(except for How You Remind Me. That would have been good if idiots didn't request it all day, every day, on every damn radio station. People are idiots.). And There's guitar solos in there, which is rare for "nu" bands.

Nickelback are Cancer itself, ditto for most new American pretend grunge, and sugar punk. F u c k s sake, are you guys listening to 98fm or something?

...by the way Pink Floyd from 1970 to 1979 is excellent. 'Dark side of the Moon' is amazing, so is 'Wish you were Here'. They can be a slow burner sometimes though.

If you want proper catchy Rock with great riffs go for Zeppelin and ACDC (1970's stuff)

I was merely pointing out that they may be more pleasent to the ear than, say, Slipknot or Limp Bizkit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

Originally posted by Megadude
    Stupid person! The Beatles overrated? Nirvana may have been a little, but not much, but The Beatles? The Beatles invented the idea of a band experimenting, challenging everything and actually writing their own tunes. What age are you 10?

how witty. actually, im 15. and just because i say they are over rated doesnt mean i dont like them. i do, they are great, i have several of their albums, love them all. but many say they are the best band ever which they blatently are not. so yes, they are class, but they are still over rated. silly person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Stanley_kubrick

Its gotta be nirvana!Might i suggest an underated band?No?Ill do it anyways.Queens of the stone age and the undeniable craziness of the meat puppets.

• Advertisement

how witty. actually, im 15. and just because i say they are over rated doesnt mean i dont like them. i do, they are great, i have several of their albums, love them all. but many say they are the best band ever which they blatently are not. so yes, they are class, but they are still over rated. silly person

Ah sorry, didn't know you were so young. But you're still wrong. When you reach the age of 23 or so you will realise that most of the stuff you thought was great as a teenager is s h i t compared to almost every Beatles album. It happened to every musician I know.

I used to think The Smashing Pumpkins were amazing as a teen. Now they sound annoying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I don't think the beatles are anything special. Sure there good, but I wouldn't compare them to Led Zep or Jimi. But i'm just a pure Rock and Roll man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Stanley_kubrick

Damn led zeppelin rule.

Originally posted by Giblet
    I don't think the beatles are anything special. Sure there good, but I wouldn't compare them to Led Zep or Jimi. But i'm just a pure Rock and Roll man.

I'm a massive Zeppelin fan too. I have the entire studio recordings box set. But, listen to the White album carefully and you'll find that The Beatles made the MOST DYNAMIC music ever. They practically invented heavy metal on that album with 'Helter Skelter' , not to mention the genius of 'Happiness is a warm gun', look, they did the most amazing things ever on that album, with the simplest tools. Then followed it up with the amazing Abbey Road. My favourite album of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Originally posted by ferdi

over rated bands:

U2
    the hives
    the strokes
    slayer
    REM
    RHCP - they are good, not the best.

how can u put slayer in that group? do u know anything about slayer???????/

way over-rated

bust

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I didn't read ALL the posts, but I think the reason ppl go mad for band is because there's so much pure sh*te out there, that when someone finally comes out with a good song, that's THEIRS, and not manufactured, all the music starved ppl start raving.

Relish were an excellent band. Saw them in cuba in Galway. They are as good live as they are recorded. I compare them to Zepplin (just my opinion).

But this manufactured rubbish ('six' being the latest excretement), is flooding the charts and the media, and taking away opportunities that should really be availalbe to musicians who play 'music'.

Down with teenie bopper trash. Long live quees of the stone age :)

Advertisement