Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blah?

Options
  • 21-01-2003 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

As an occasional visitor to the sunny south east (the boyfriend's a culchie (no offence meant), and I occasionally accompany him "home" - which btw, was something I thought you went to every weekend rather than only for the weekend every so often), I have a look at this forum every so often. Could someone tell me what a 'blah' is? never heard of it before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

From iTravel

One of Waterford´s most edible specialities (others involve unappetising parts of animals), the blaa is not so world renowned as it should be. It may seem to be a rather normal, if very floury bap, to the uninitiated, but the blaa (or bla, blah) is deliciously soft and tasty. It is baked in small rounish squares, and is a type of white batch bread. Best eaten with chedder cheese, and various salads, it makes a very cheap lunch when combined with a packet of 10p crisps. It normally costs between 20p and 25p.

Pros:
    Cons: it really is very floury.

Details: Any bakery, supermarket and most newsagents and petrol stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Whenever i'm in Waterford i always get some blahs.
    They're lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

hey Highlight where you from??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Me takes wid guess at Dublin. that whole culchie remark reaks of Dubness even if there was no offence meant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭jmcc

A bit ironic anyone from Dubland calling someone from Waterford a culchie but it was probably meant in a nice way. :) Waterford is and was Ireland's first city and is older than Dublin.

This thread about blaas has made me hungry. (The Blaa is actually a French bread and came over with the Huegenots (sp?) or the Normans. It got the name from the fact that it was a white (blanc in French) bread as opposed to (at the time more common) brown bread and had white flour on the top.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Jesus, they are way too floury. You end up looking like you've been snorting cocaine at lunchtime. It's not a good look to have in work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

Yeah, I'd have to admit to being a 4th gen Dubliner - rare enough! BTW, I never realised that Dublin women have such a reputation. I met my boyfriend on holidays in Greece (3 years ago) and he recently confided that he was scared of going out with a girl from Dublin - not me per se but the reputation that we collectively have. He's moved to Dublin since and we've bought a house - so I asked him what he liked about Dublin. Expecting the usual 'you' or something romantic, he thought for a while and said 'Macaris chips - I can drive round the corner rather than having to go to the Chinese in Thomastown' Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Waterford has loads of deadly chippers, and they're actually run by irish people who understand that a "a large chip" = "one large bag of chips".

As far as I can see, all the chippers in dublin are owned by italian chains like macaries and borza... (nice chips though)

merlante

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by merlante
    Waterford has loads of deadly chippers, and they're actually run by irish people who understand that a "a large chip" = "one large bag of chips".

As far as I can see, all the chippers in dublin are owned by italian chains like macaries and borza... (nice chips though)

merlante

There's a class one just down the road from me called Ezio's, its on the corner of Sundrive and Lower Kimmage road.. best chips ive tasted since coming to dublin.. but alas they dont give you the option for a large chip, just chips and thats it.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭ali.g

i lived in dublin last summer it was quite fun but very expensive not a place to live you wanna try save money you dig....highlight i didn like the way u expected your bfriend to say the "usual you" or something romantic in your last comment there sounds like your taking him for granted you better not be!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement