Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nolan: "Nobody is forced to use Eircom. They choose to use Eircom."

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by yellum
    "Nobody is forced to use the ESB. They choose to use the ESB "

"Nobody is foced to use air. They choose to use air "

Utter bollox

I have to agree with Yellum on this one. It is a load of Utter 'B'

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Very enlightening, that Slutmonkey's post...
    It at least clears up somewhat the question of whether eircom in itself is capable of delivering us affordable broadband - apparently it is indeed, and it's not doing so because it's being milked for cash by someone using it as a financial liferaft.

Great :P

Still, I'm somewhat happier to know that it is that way because of one greedy man, and his associate, a hapless telecomms consortium, rather than because "we don't have the infrastructure", "people have no interest in broadband (at >€100 a month for entry level dsl)", "my back hurts", and so forth.

Down with corporate leeches!

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Originally posted by PiE
    If what Slutmonkey posted is true... I fear for my kid's* broadband connection.

*And I'm not planning to have kids before ~2015

sorry to say this but didn't you read about the deal when eircom was sold it didn't make sense then it doesn't make sense now; is it me or is all irish business and political life corrupt. the more you see it the less it makes sense

all i read from nolan is that you need to get rid of the price cap to increase investment which means get rid of the price cap so eircom can sustain tony o'reilly's alegedly untouchable (in terms of companies going bust) fortune the only winner here is tony o'reilly and as ever the the irish population are the ones to pay

the article said that the debt raised was 2 billion - the interest on the loans is paid from eircom cashflows, the banks wrote off 60 million of loans to arcon and received 10 % of eircon which is now valued at 4.7million if anone can make sense of any of this and why the irish gov. should sell national infrastructure to someone who cant run a business let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

the article said that the debt raised was 2 billion - the interest on the loans is paid from eircom cashflows, the banks wrote off 60 million of loans to arcon and received 10 % of eircon which is now valued at 4.7million if anone can make sense of any of this and why the irish gov. should sell national infrastructure to someone who cant run a business let me know

the whole thing stinks to high heaven :mad:

govt should be sorting this out and you have to ask yourself what the f*** is the real story here? (oh well, taxpayer shafted again - we are such a bunch of mug punters)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

just assume the position gentleman and dont forget to
    remove your glass's and false teeth before gripping your ankles!

wormhole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Inspired by the pull-push analogy used by Philip Nolan in the Campbell interview we've sent a letter to Dermot Ahern with this "beware-postcard"
    dermot_beware.jpg

We've published the letter and our Christmas story is as well concerned with Philip. See our latest updates.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Kennett
    This is a really worrying thing... A person who owns a telco and a newspaper company is a bad thing, due to the fact that the paper isn't/doesn't seem to be allowed to write 'the truth' about that particular telco, and instead you have all these articles that are written about that telco in a good light, as you're not allowed to write anything bad about a company when your boss-boss owns both, so instead we have misleading articles and such saying that Eircom are great, etc.

This sounds like abusing a position... imho.

*If I've gotten anything wrong, please correct me as the above is the impression I'm getting from this thread.

well from what i've seen of the indo since the takeover and i read the indo quite regularly eircom and its policies have never been critisied in any article i've read. And eircom have been hailed as excellent and very pro-consumer in a few that i've read. All eircom related threads were utter bull ****e imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Glad I rarely read the newspapers as I might be inclined to believe it... Yeah right! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

From his comments in the SiliconRepublic interview, Mr Nolan seems suddenly to be against Narrowband! (Or at least the "poisonous" version of narrowband called FRIACO). While the Narrowband cash cow has been his (and Mr O'Reilly's) saviour in providing limitless funds, it is now under a severe threat from the waking giant of ComReg.

So, with the writing on the wall for huge per minute 56k bills, Mr Nolan "discovers" Narrowband, and rejects it as a concept to be supported. "Better to invest in Broadband", he proclaims, as if it was an original idea. Of course, we know what Mr Nolan calls Broadband: A faster service with a cap which allows you to run up bigger bills even faster! A dedicated downloader could incur bills of thousands of €uros, where the 56k service can only drum up hundreds. (There is no competition on cap rates, because there is no competition on DSL).

The only Flat Rate Internet service available from Eircom is the top rate i-Stream at €169.00 PLUS VAT. Every other service has open-ended charging, which discourages use. What is the point of a fast Solo or Multi i-Stream service which will use the cap in a matter of hours, or at best days, and then incur the most outrageous charges for each Megabyte?

The FRIACO initiative will be the first service available in this country which will remove the fear ov overspending on the Internet. For one unfortunate reason after another, every chance of this happening up to now has been dashed (EsarClear Nolimits, NTL Cable, IBB, all have raised hopes and expectations, only to fail on delivery. I-Stream has followed in the same path, with the token gesture of an uncapped service charged at a rate which even Satellite operators would blush to quote.

So, FRIACO is the first real challenge to the Eircom strangle-hold on the country's Internet access, and it is not liked at all by Mr Nolan. It is supremely important that nobody is distracted from the original purpose by Mr Nolan's "preference" for Broadband. It is not Narrowband he is concerned about, it is Flat Rate. Let the FRIACO products be introduced, and then we can see how much Mr Nolan is really concerned about improving the investment in Broadband. I would wish to reduce my personal investment in broadband by choosing a product cheaper than i-Stream.

Hope this didn't turn into a rant! (I get a bit impatient).

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Originally posted by captainpat
    From his comments in the SiliconRepublic interview, Mr Nolan seems suddenly to be against Narrowband! (Or at least the "poisonous" version of narrowband called FRIACO). While the Narrowband cash cow has been his (and Mr O'Reilly's) saviour in providing limitless funds, it is now under a severe threat from the waking giant of ComReg.

So, with the writing on the wall for huge per minute 56k bills, Mr Nolan "discovers" Narrowband, and rejects it as a concept to be supported. "Better to invest in Broadband", he proclaims, as if it was an original idea. Of course, we know what Mr Nolan calls Broadband: A faster service with a cap which allows you to run up bigger bills even faster! A dedicated downloader could incur bills of thousands of €uros, where the 56k service can only drum up hundreds. (There is no competition on cap rates, because there is no competition on DSL).

The only Flat Rate Internet service available from Eircom is the top rate i-Stream at €169.00 PLUS VAT. Every other service has open-ended charging, which discourages use. What is the point of a fast Solo or Multi i-Stream service which will use the cap in a matter of hours, or at best days, and then incur the most outrageous charges for each Megabyte?

The FRIACO initiative will be the first service available in this country which will remove the fear ov overspending on the Internet. For one unfortunate reason after another, every chance of this happening up to now has been dashed (EsarClear Nolimits, NTL Cable, IBB, all have raised hopes and expectations, only to fail on delivery. I-Stream has followed in the same path, with the token gesture of an uncapped service charged at a rate which even Satellite operators would blush to quote.

So, FRIACO is the first real challenge to the Eircom strangle-hold on the country's Internet access, and it is not liked at all by Mr Nolan. It is supremely important that nobody is distracted from the original purpose by Mr Nolan's "preference" for Broadband. It is not Narrowband he is concerned about, it is Flat Rate. Let the FRIACO products be introduced, and then we can see how much Mr Nolan is really concerned about improving the investment in Broadband. I would wish to reduce my personal investment in broadband by choosing a product cheaper than i-Stream.

Hope this didn't turn into a rant! (I get a bit impatient).

Yes that drivel he spouted in regards to narrowband being a thing of the past etc was truly the work of a propaganda master since it is so utterly contradictory to Eircon's stance over the past x years. Its so irritating to hear these smug suits prattle on endlessly with a load of half truths and downright lies, lies that are ultimately tailored to suit their own ends.
    I'm sure he has a calendar on the wall counting down the days until he recieves his own platinum handshake. I truly hope that flatrate is introduced, not because I want it (I would much prefer affordable broadband), but just to see Eircon squirm at the loss its wide scale introduction will incur for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

"Hope this didn't turn into a rant! (I get a bit impatient). "

Cool rant. Could do with more intelligent rants like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'd say if we sent enough rants to the Eircom CEO, he might sit up and pay attention... I mean, there must be at minimum, 200 people here, so sending about 200 large letters has to do something...

Edit: Forgot to put, this has to be a rant with a point, sending any pointless rants isn't a good idea.

Advertisement