Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YMCA Gym, Aungier St - Free Weights/Machines?

Options
  • 11-12-2002 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Is anyone familier with the YMCA Gym in Aungier St?
    I'm thinking of joining, they seem to have good rates, but I haven't been round to inspect it yet and was wondering if anyone had any experience of it, especially the free weights/weights machine section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Dont know if they have improved but i knew it years ago, probably about 10 years ago and it was pretty small so unless they made it bigger... one way to find out.. go and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

All you need is your free weights(and a smith rack to make it all perfect). If you got this you can do all your upper body excersises and even some of the leg muscles. Its great. Remember if it doesn't hurt you aint doing it right and only do 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps depending on how much you can do and dont lift anything that you can not control(and if you do make sure you got a spotter ready that can control the weight.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Runfree
    Remember if it doesn't hurt you aint doing it right

Well I wouldn't agree here at all. If you get sharp pain during the exercise you're doing something wrong. A dull muscle ache is fine if you're fatigued but any sharp or sudden pain is not good. Be very careful with weight training.
    and only do 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps depending on how much you can do

Again it depends on what you want to do. A bodybuilder that wants maximum mass will train in the 6-8 rep range. Training for strength move to the 10-12 rep range, power lifters work on 1, 2 and 3RMs.

Tailor your training to suit your needs not somebody elses.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by logic1
    Well I wouldn't agree here at all. If you get sharp pain during the exercise you're doing something wrong. A dull muscle ache is fine if you're fatigued but any sharp or sudden pain is not good. Be very careful with weight training.

Ok guess i worded it wrong. Thinking to much what i do myself in the gym not what other people might do. Thanx for correcting me on that point logic.
    Again it depends on what you want to do. A bodybuilder that wants maximum mass will train in the 6-8 rep range. Training for strength move to the 10-12 rep range, power lifters work on 1, 2 and 3RMs.

Tailor your training to suit your needs not somebody elses.

.logic.

once again I stand corrected. cheers

Advertisement