Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iveagh house Gym

• 11-12-2002 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else go to the Iveagh House in Christchurch

What do you think of the service they provide I know its just a gym and you go there to Train But I would at least like to know how to use the Equiptment so I dont Injure myself.

I have been going there for the last 7 months and its costs me over €1040 a year to use the facility and Im not happy with the Staff or service they provide .

I could go somewhere else but the is not local gym and its handy from work.

Its seems to me that because there is a lot of blokes as trainers the girls get a lot of attention if there not standing around chatting and drinking tea.

What am I paying for and does this happen in your Gyms

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Yeah happens in all gyms I'd say. Usually you get an orientation where they'll show you how to use the machines and set up an 8 or 10 week plan for you but it's a load of bollocks 9 times out of 10.

If you're there 7 months and still can't use the machines there's something seriously lacking in your training or attitude. Most trainers won't approach you if they see you using a machine incorrectly partly because they could be bothered and partly because the abuse they might get from a self riteous gym rat isn't worth it.

Go to the gym deska nd book yourself in for an orientation/weight plan session and see what happens from there. You're paying good money, demand a good service.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I did im now on my 3rd plan it took 3 weeks for the Girl to do up and I asked her to help me partly because i couldnt read her writing she never arrived so Im stuck doing the same old stuff and paying top dollar .............

the attitde I get is im a gym instructer and where sooooooo cool so F**k off and get on with it.

come any one can run on a treadmill but are you running correctly for weightlose or for fitness and stretches what the hell are they i was never shown. Weights can injure if not used right.

I wonder what Mr Quinn (the Owner ) would think of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by the Guru
    come any one can run on a treadmill but are you running correctly for weightlose or for fitness and stretches what the hell are they i was never shown. Weights can injure if not used right.

I wonder what Mr Quinn (the Owner ) would think of it all.

Listen mate noones going to hold your hand every step of the way. Read, learn, educate yourself. Get a training partner if you can. Most of the stuff the instructors tell you is going to be wrong anyway.

We all have to learn, and the more you learn the more you realize you don't know. If the instructors have that attitude then **** them do it yourself, learn yourself and improve yourself. Don't use it as an excuse not to train or not to put in the work yourself.

If it's really that bad in there then complain to management or move gyms. Whineing about it here isn't doing any good.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The'real'Guvnor

At E1040 per year you are being screwed big time.
    No gym and I mean no gym is worth that money.
    The Iveagh does not even have a car park and IIRC they even have to hire a bouncer to watch the cars outside the club at night. Mr. Quinn is just counting the pennies as the staff are payed peanuts, more than the average gym instructor but still a light wedge at the end of the week.

If I were you I'd move elsewhere. Join the westwood in Clontarf. To cap it all off the Iveagh has too high a preference on cardio and whilst cardio is acceptable for aiding your 'getting in shape' goals, the fact remains that 99.99% of people in gyms would rather look like sprinters than marathon runners and that means a predominance of weights with the odd bit of cardio. Ideal ratio is 3 weights and 1-2 cardio sessions [which can include walking to the gym :D]

Most instructors have poor qualifications, zero motivation and are only working in the gym until they get a better job elsewhere like working in a shop. A lot of them don't even live the lifestyle which means taking advice from them is like getting flying lessons from an air steward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by the Guru
    I did im now on my 3rd plan it took 3 weeks for the Girl to do up and I asked her to help me partly because i couldnt read her writing she never arrived so Im stuck doing the same old stuff and paying top dollar .............

maybe if you speak to the manager or duty manager directly and say you've had trouble getting your program changed / drawn up they should be able to get it sorted or switch you to a new trainer

the way I approach it to do one personal training session each time i have my program changed, that way i take the first few minutes to discuss what my goals woud be by the end of the program (as long as I put the effort in!). then i'm walked step-by-step through the new routine with the program card being filled in as we move from exercise to exercise - we agree a date for the end of the routine and once that comes i get a new porgram drawn up

i do a bit of homework too - taking the program card home first time and spending an evening going through it referencing books/sites to ensure I have it all understood - anything i'm still unsure about i ask the next time i'm in

the first week of a new program always has a learning curve for me especially if a new movement / machine is involved - so i just ask before go to the machine to start the exercise - i've never had any of the staff say no

HTH

• Advertisement
Advertisement