Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is (or would be) the most important factor for your broadband choice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

In Reply to Zynaps...
    There was this story in theregister.co.uk which is going on about a trial of power line broadband in Scotland ...
    There was a thread in boards.ie before about it .... several of them in fact ... the fly in the ointment seems to be that streetlights can possibly (note: theoretically possible) transmit your communications for anyone to get at ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sorry to get even further off thread but i think zynaps is thinking of the homeplug alliance www.homeplug.org

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Could make the case that latency would be part of "extra features"

Bandwidth also come under "extra features"? Latency is the by far the most important thing for me. It's the only reason i have crappy, expensive ISDN. And why I would never consider getting eircom ADSL even if they were charging 40 a month for it.
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Extra features might be POP3 accounts or some webspace or just general useful things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I voted price and installation myself. Hopefully I am getting Irish Broadband installed, so that would give you an idea of what I would want as regards broadband.

As an aside, Power supply Broadband sounds pretty interesting, and if ESB are seriously looking to provide a service that resembles the one described on The Register article then it would have a very high potential (but will our power lines pass the line test? :p). 45Mbps is 5.5 megabytes a second or something like that? Wouldn't mind that in my house ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

i thought ppl had been messing around with that all over the world for yonks and kept deciding it was too much hassle to make work?
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by quozl
    Bandwidth also come under "extra features"? Latency is the by far the most important thing for me. It's the only reason i have crappy, expensive ISDN.

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Serbian
    As an aside, Power supply Broadband sounds pretty interesting, and if ESB are seriously looking to provide a service that resembles the one described on The Register article then it would have a very high potential (but will our power lines pass the line test? :p). 45Mbps is 5.5 megabytes a second or something like that? Wouldn't mind that in my house ;)
    I went into ESB's offices in Stephen's Green the other day, and ended up on a phone talking to some guy in another office, about the national fibre ring deal.
    He said it was as suspected a carrier's carrier deal, and they had no plans that he knew of of selling bandwidth to consumers, and I didn't really have time to ask him about the powerline thing, but I guess that's out of the question ;)

Gonna ring up some other guy whose number he gave me who's dealing with the more strategic stuff in their fibre ring moves.

BTW, he said they'd probably have completed work on it (around donegal) by may/june.

zynaps

Advertisement