Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c and c generals

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah i'll sort myself out with a copy also probably would have regardless, anyone read any reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Have seen any reviews yet....

How does the min spec for the game look :)

found this

Some new system specifications have been posted for Generals, and these ones differ from the ones that EA France gave out earlier:

OS- Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
    Processor - Intel Pentium III/AMD Athlon - 800MHz
    Memory - 128 MB RAM
    Hard Drive - 1.8 GB
    CD-DVD - 4 SPEED
    Graphics - 32MB
    3D Accelerator - Direct3D* (Required)
    DirectX - Version 8.1
    Network - TCP/IP compliant (2-8 Players)
    Internet - 56.6Kbps (2-4 Players)
    Internet - Broadband (5-8 Players)
    Input - Keyboard, Mouse

This is the minimum specification your computer must meet to run this game. Requires video and sound card compatible with DirectX 8.1 (supplied on CD). *Direct3D requires a 32MB video card using the nVidia GeForce2, ATI Radeon 7500 or more recent chipset with DirectX 8.1 compatible driver. Multiplayer requires 1 CD per PC.

Recommended: 1.8 GHz or faster Intel Pentium IV or AMD Athlon processor; 256 MB or more RAM, nVidia GeForce3 or more recent Direct3D capable video card.

however elsewhere i found the minimum processor freqency to be 1Ghz (which personally for me could be a problem 850mhz p3 :( )

the official website will not give the minimum specs at the moment, however it does say that it released today? perhaps that is america?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I played the beta on an athlon 900(slot A) with low graphics and few hitches.

Changed since then though so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yup it came out yesterday in the US ( tue 11th ) Im running it @ 1024 x 768 in 32 bit colour highest details,runs perfect 4 me.

Amd xp 2000+
    512 pc 133 dimm
    GF4 TI4400
    Win 2k
    Must try it over teh net with meh 1Mb adsl

played up until the 5th usa mission-the units are verry cool and the explosions look excellent--great game.
    :D

COMBATCOW

BTW.( dunno if i should post this ) ( smyths special offer ) if you send a text message to this number 0857306847 they will send you back a text that gives you 10 yoyos off C&C generals at smyths when you show it to the guy at the counter.it's only valid until the 16 of feb -normal text prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    resident evil two was good i enjoyed that haven't played any of the others though, there was just something about FF7 that was very cool and i don't think squaresoft have been able to obtain it since, 8 was only ok, 9 was good, and currently playing 10

I don't know which rpg was your 1st but secret of mana for the snes was mine. It was great but it is'nt good. Reason being I liked it because it was my first. I felt it was the best rpg ever until i played it again recently. There was a huge gap in rpg's coming out on consoles untill FF7. The playstation's generation's 1st rpg. If FF9 came out 1st I truly believe that would be referred to as the greatest rpg of all time and FF7 would be the lesser one that came second.

I know i'm behind on reading...

the secret of mana was that another early final fantasy or something seperate, i vaguely remember something about it on the snes? i don't know about 9 coming out before 7 theres something about 7 that just rocked.

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    7 theres something about 7 that just rocked.

Thats what i'm trying to say! The thing that rocked about it was that there was nothing to compare it to. Its stuck in your head that this is a rpg's, everything after will be compared to this, it applies to everything!

Secret of Mana was a game on the snes made by squaresoft (one of the last square made for nintendo until lately). It was brilliant in it's day due to the fact it was 3 player and, as i said above, i didnt know any better. You had 3 party members and if you had a multitap you could fight together. It wasnt turned based so you move around the screen hitting monsters like in zelda 3 or zelda on the gameboy.Those were the days.... I suddenly feel the need to call two friends over and blow the dust off my snes...

yeah but just coz its the first so to speak and you have nothing to compare it to doesn't mean it wasn't the best, i played that for a lot longer then any of the other more recent ff games, i recall endless of hours of repititive fights on an island dat had creatures which gave high ap just to master knights of the round, final attack etc. and chocobo breeding jesus that was a class game.

I agree that "yeah but just coz its the first so to speak and you have nothing to compare it to doesn't mean it wasn't the best". But in my mind it comes 2nd, please just play a game called chrono trigger. My last post on this matter cuz i just reread the threads title lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

........... what does FF7 have to do with CnC generals, which the thread is about? I sense you have both posted (repeatidly) in the wrong thread.

no he hasn't early in the tread there was discussion about game sequels ff was mentioned which i defended the gentleman in question only found the thread at a later date and is reponding now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nerve-Hunter

when i picked up a copy of C&C gen the first thing i noticed was the high frigging requirements. I mean i accepted that it probaly wasnt going to run on my pc at all ,but the reccemended ram is over 300 & you have to have a pretty new graphics card just so you can play the game. All the same its a good game to buy if you have the pc to handle it.

One more thing about ff7.I think one of the things that made it great was the story line. Think about it, when i was playing it ...4th class or something.... the main thing i can remember is the effect that sephiroth had when ever you saw a flashback or experienced one of his many ****ed up deeds. Throughout the game more and more I had a respect for the character & a yearning to bing him down for his insane crimes. One of the things i remember ,when you spen ages getting your first chocabobo just to cross a swamp with a massive snake monster in it, & then just as you get accross your treated to the awsome sight of sephiroths wrath which has been brought upon the monster. a really big snake all gorely impaled on a big wooden stake.....now that was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I'm waiting for the case to finish my new PC, but the old one was/is an athlon 700mhz with 390 (ish) megs ram and 32meg graphics card. The game ran okay, but for each second that ran on the clock, 3/4 seconds passed in real time :) So an 'ickle' bit slow, shoud run okay on the new one (if I can tear myself away from CM4 to play it :p).

When i was playing C&C gen on my pc 2 1/2 seconds passed in real time for every second in the game.

how are you's telling how much time is passing in game to real time?

I used a stop watch... alot of times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

got it today for a bargin 14.99!!!
    cool or what !!

havent really played it yet as i got cm 4 the other day

have to say i didn't really play it much after i got it as it doesn't run great on my system, only cleared the american missions and then didn't bother, i'll probalbly give it more time later in the year if i get a decent upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

i got it as soon as it came out and its exactly what i was looking for it runs great i empathise with people who it didnt run great with because you really dont know what your missing

GLA RULE!!!!!
    "at least give me some shoes"

• Advertisement

GLA are fun, but their VERY limited I find due to no air units, a small chinese defence can hold of a HUGE gla army because they have no air strikes to soften their targets. I have often taken forces of 30+ GLA tanks with only 3 full bunkers with rocket troopers, and 2 gattling guns. Attacking a chinese stronghold with GLA is like p*ssing in the wind, it cant be done, even if you build scud launchers the gattling guns dont be long shooting them out of the sky, then a mig strike can finish you easily.

However what I love is their tanks weapon upgrades, marauders start of pants, but when they get double barrel with anthrax shells, their unstoppable!! they pack a larger punch than an overlord and cost under half as much. Their standing defence is also pants (not as bad as americans tho IMHO) as stinger sites dont do much against anything other than air units. However a few tunnel networks with a small tankarmy in them (full of double barrel marauders preferably) can defend all sides of you base at the same time and be instantly repaired between fights (tunnel networks repair tanks VERY quickly), however this can be an annoyance if your busy elsewhere.

So GLA can be good, their just a very high maintenance team to play, and so not recommended for newer players (new players, go chinese, massive defence, and brute force tank armies).

thanks for the tip there i didnt know you could put tanks into cave networks thats extremely handy. by the way if you get the "angry mob" along with their upgrade you can take out atleast two or three overlords before they get killed also hijackers rule with the camouflage upgrade just stand their and wait for some unsuspecting fool to walk past them + their gattling cannon along with all its upgrades can take out a stream of planes

i would compare them to soviets in ra2 no real air capabilities so build as much as you can and try to use special units to distract while you rush as many units up there and start pounding their base then keep sending units up there topo keep the pressure up while you build a cleanup team over to finish the job

also a full ambush is quite nice

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm having some serious trouble beating the GLA on the final levels of USA and China. You're fine starting off, but once they know where you are, they just send wave after wave of infantry, suicide bombers, and angry mobs, and they wear you down so fast, you can't fully replenish your forces. If you send infantry/humvees to the front, they get annihilated by anti-personnel fire, and tanks cant really do much against sucicide bombers. China has a bit better anti-personnel defences, but the flamethrower tanks are easily taken out by anti-tank fire, and can do a lot of damage to your own forces, if you're not careful. I once had to use nuke cannons to constantly irradiate the entrance to my base, just to keep the GLA at bay. I ended up losing that one :)

I found the GLA easiest to win with, cause of the anti-aircraft tank things. A rake of them, with a rake of marauders behind them, and you're unstoppable. Aircraft get shot down, personnel get eliminated, and tanks don't stand a chance. The GLA seems to have the best weapons to fight the GLA :D

another good point is workers that act as builders and supply gatherers and the fact that you dont have to worry about low power - no powerplants

and about beating the gla - its best to build defences, enough to withstand a hell of a beating and in the meantime build a **** load of all of your units and send them up a different way than the direction the gla are coming from

If your having troubles defending as china against the GLA< you need to seriously rethink your tactics, the best STRONG defence I think as chine is 3 bunkers with 5 rocket troopers in each of them, and between each one put a gattling cannon, tanks die in 1 salvo of rockets, and troops are walking into a saw mill. A medium defence for me is 2 bunkers with rocket troopers and 1 gattling cannon between em. And a small defence is just 1 bunker and 1 gattling cannon. Put large defence at the main route, medium at points which are important but not overly attacked (oil derricks, supply depots), and small ones at small side routes etc which have limited mobility (canyons, bridges etc, as their easily defended against even large attacks). And always have a small squadron of migs permenantly in base (depending on your money income, 4 or 8 will do the job) as they RUIN tank armies, and even if you only have a small defence at the side of your base, the defences will hold them off long enough to send in a mig strike and wipe them out, then just send in a builder and fix it all up and your one happy bunny.

Having a small mobile tank force can also be useful, as if they break through the defences they will still have another wave to go through to get to your base, and by the time the tanks are engaging them your migs should be loaded up for strike 2, and if a tank army pummels through this, they must have a LOT of supplies in which case, your quite buggered. Another good tactic I have found is leaving a few inferno cannons behind your defence posts (1 inferno cannon per bunker) which will deal damage to any straggling units (ie: one rocket buggy just out of bunker range but your migs are busy), and if you want an area REALLY well defended you can have 7 inferno cannons force firing in 1 square (works well in canyons/bridges etc [narrow routes]) and they will have a permanent firestorm created, which NOTHING can get through, not even overlords get past it, and if you have a bunker or 2 behind them, that area is TOTALLY safe versus land attacks.

(if you havent guessed I like a strong defence by now, im talking to a brick wall :p)

For americans (which I dont use often, as I prefare china's advanced tank armies, strong defences are anti tank air force. And the GLA are more fun than america and are more flexable) just your base defences alone will get their arse kicked black and blue by infantry, patriots are useless against infantry, and not great against tanks either, so instead I use humvee's backed up with patriots. 1 humvee filled with 5 rocket troopers will do more damage than 2 patriots against tank, and then a few path finders dotted along the front line is all the dfeence you will need (however if your figting against a strong air force, having patriots doing the anti tank is advised, but path findders are more or less immune to air strikes except force firing). Another advantage with using humvee's is their more flexable, if your line isnt going to hold off a tank army, fall back a bit, maybe drive a humvee from a diffrent post and then gang up on them. However one this I LOVE about america on defence is commanche's, they can fly out and scout effectively and if an enemy army has no ani air, your commanche will be having fun, as you can wipe out entire tank armies with just one or 2 commanche's if theres no anti air with the enemy, as rocket barrage is DEVESTATING on large numbers. And if the anti air is there, fall back to your defences and fight them there where the anti air will be concentrated on the defences anyway........ then fly in and rocket barrage them in the confusion.

Ok Ill stop my rant now. feel free to criticise my views on CnC defences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heh, I must try building defences. :D

I'm very much in the offensive. I only use patriot missiles to warn me when an attack is taking place, then I throw a whole pile of infantry or tanks at the attackers (depending on what's attacking). Once I have a big enough force, I essentially abandon the base, and overpower the enemy through sheer numbers.

Maybe I should change my tactics, and build defenses, then build up my army.... Hmmmm....

ok ill try not to rant this time (the past 2 posts didnt start as an intentional rant, they just kept on going :))

Defending with a mobile army works in most RTS's (star/war craft series especially, and in past CnC games), but generals seems to have changed that (with the chinese at least). But if you dont like patriots (I hate them personally, anti air only really, same as stingers) keep an army defending, when you attack never attack with your defending force, because if your attack fails and they have 5 tanks waltzing around your base and only 1 patriot to stop them, your knee deep in sh*t, once the barracks and warfactory go down game over. However if you build very little defence as chinese you can still get away with it...... mines! by building 1 bunker and putting mines around it you can secure an area with moderate efficiency against a single attack, for just 1000 supplies, and if you have the occasionaly building throughout your base mined, they will have some great fun trying to destroy your base. If theres any small defences that you think might be broken by an attack, give all the bunkers on that side mines, even if they break through they will lost another load of tanks, they may still be through, but less for your mobile defence to fight off.

And one final note: if you have chosen the 'scud missile launcher' promotion, use them, force firing a bio warhead on an area can provide complete anti infantry defence in a large area, and the explosive warheads will kill all tanks in a large area, so they good for backing up base defence if the enemy is attacking you in large waves, their also so easy to get promoted due to the huge blast radius, and when they get to level 3, they have a decent RoF and huge damage (and they repair themselves, but GLA got auto repair anyway). [edit: Same applies to nuke tanks for the chinese, their mega powerful, bio and explosive warheads in 1]

Advertisement