Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats This NO GAA Section

Options
  • 05-12-2002 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

GAA is still the most popular sports in Ireland ...I say sports cause those of us outside dublin Play hurling too !

Im wondering why there is no GAA thread...and with all thats going on in the world of GAA.

So is there any support to get a GAA topic added in to the boards family ? let me know and we can go and bother the people that run this show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This topic gets an airing every few months it seems and even
    a blow-in like me is surprised at the lack of a GAA board.

Calling De Vor, Cloud, Gandalf etc.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

well, the Soccer board is only a really new addition and all the other sport boards started out life as community boards.

The sports board is hardly overflowing with GAA topics (like it was when soccer was here) so is there any call for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I think we can raise interest about GAA on these boards...
    Really all we need is someone to start talking about it it will become more popular. I mean in fairness... There is as much scandal and excitment in GAA as there is in Soccer these days.

Anywho...thats just my two cent (€) and I guess I will post my Gaa topics in the sport section for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Alany
    These boards are full o East Dubliners that strive to become Londoners,
    You'll see a Liverpool, ManUnited, Cricket, Polo, Tennis and Fox hunting threads before you'll see anything Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

there is very very little GAA traffic, the sport board itself is not over flowing with people..

There is no need for a GAA board unitl there are a bunch of people who wont shut up speaking about it (like what happened soccer) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Alany
    I think we can raise interest about GAA on these boards...
    Really all we need is someone to start talking about it .....
    lol
    So go on then!

DO I detect a hit of sarcasm ?
    I think I do, Oh ye of little faith.
    We shall see.

:D

Hoho, actually I am being completely honest.

Why complain about it when you aren't doing anything about it!

• Advertisement

Actually I do intend to do something about it.
    Hence my "we shall see" comment.
    I fully intend to see if I can start some discussions about
    GAA in particular Dublin club football and inter-county games such as the all Ireland. But its very much the closed season right now and I have decided to wait till January to launch my little experiment. But thanks for the concern, Look forward to reading your GAA posts !

:rolleyes:

Ahhh, I see, GAA season isn't now. D'oh, I don't watch GAA hence the malknowledged.

Well Hopefully, You and others might read the GAA posts (if and when they start) and become addictited like the other million or so GAA supporters in Ireland. that really would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Mayo for the All-Ireland!!

Ahem...

I think there is an excellent reason why "freak" discribes your user status, cause it describes your insane opinion on GAA.

We all know that Tommy Lyons will be leading Dublin to Sam McGuire Glory this year. C'MON THE DUBS. I think that should be the final word on that discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

bring on the GAA board....Waterford for Liam next year!!

Im Thinking..NO waterford couldnt win the All ireland if they changed their names to Kilkenny and painted themselves black and yellow. And besides Dublin will be the surprise package in next years c'ship. C'Mon the dubs.

I think you should go to www.hill16.ie and post an apology for not being from dublin and then pledge your undying support

do you not recall the greatness of waterford this past year....the exhibition of hurling by the gallant déise warriors in the munster final against the then all-ireland champions...waterford 2-23, tipp 3-12...sweet....

y'know we almost have a monopoly on munster finals at this stage...last 2 club finals and the big one this year...

for your benefit..o poor deluded dub, here's an excerpt from www.angelfire.com/ab/theBannerBoyz....

Walk into a sports shop in Dublin and see thousands of Man City, Fulham and all kinds of obscure clubs replica kits for sale along with the luminous adidas tracksuits as worn by the tenement trash with earrings the size of Hula hoops passing their time getting thrown out of the ILAC centre until they're old enough to start pushing a pram. Hockey sticks, cricket bats, lacrosse sticks all outnumber the trusty caman on the shop shelves. Wherever they're not playing the garrison/ghetto game there's the rugby instead.

a dublin hurler is like a dutch mountain climber

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

wan the crokes.

Indeed.. There are many many soccer jerseys In dublin sports shops. However, It has been noted that Dublin jerseys out sold
    Manunited, liverpool and Ireland this year in Dublin by a rate of about 2 to 1. I seriously doubt any county (bar maybe Armagh ) can claim such a thing.

And lets not bring hoop wearing northsiders in to this conversation.. I havent gone to the trouble of bringing up the skangers from dungravan or tramore..or the bog hoping farmers the surround the little towns of waterford.

It is true that waterford are a great club hurling county, But massive under achivers at county level... I dont feel you have the right to be so confident ..But in saying that Ied rather see waterford win the Munster C'ship than any of the other clowns down there. Down with CORK and that sort of thing,

BUT be warned ..the Dubs are comming and they will be a hurling super power within the next 5 years !

• Advertisement

hey, a dub who knows a little about geography...you are a rare one! I've spent my first college term explaining to bewildered dubs why they can't stop off in waterford on their way to limerick, and that cork isn't the big county in the bottom left-hand corner...REALLY! ...don't you diss the bog-hopping though..it's a noble pursuit in the déise county..tramore is a scangerhole, i'll grant you that, but leave dungarvan out of it! as for the jerseys, waterford was among the 5 counties with the largest jersey sales..the others were dublin, armagh, kilkenny and clare...

tramore scangers beat dublin scangers any day...annn....anyway....

:D:D:D:D:D

yeah ..as I say, at the end of the day, what can I say, Waterford are a great football hurling cuhlub..and as i say what can I say.

okie doke well leave it there so...

no no no they're ****..

ah well you would say that wouldnt you eamon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bit of comedy ther for ya..

anywho....where were we ?
    oh yes, waterford hurling...god bless, fair play, up wexford down with your pants ...

its so easy to get distracted. I seriously doubt waterford can win anything tisy comming year..but then again I didnt think
    Armage would amount to **** last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭ironbrew

u say the dubs have a rock solid defence but time will show that a soon as tyrone forwards get a crack at them, they will tear the dublin defence to shreads, admitingly we don't have the best keeper in the world but do have one of the best full backs at the minute and i was very disapointed that he didn't recieve an allstar this year! Also God will be hitting peak this year especially after coming in with a ulster club medal and maybe even All-Ireland medal which surely he deserves. Also if Mickey Harte gets the midfield sorted out properly we shall win with considerable ease.

TYRONE WILL BRING HOME SAM FOR THE FIRST TIME: 2002/2003....EVEN THO THEY WERE CHEATED OUT OFF THE 1995 FINAL BY NO OTHER THAN DUBLIN, BUT NO MATTER FORGIVE AND FORGET! were going 2 win na na na na na, la dee la dee laaa

'We're taking this match awful seriously. We're training three times a week
    now, and some of the boys are off the beer since Tuesday' - Offaly hurler
    quote in the week before an All-Ireland final

'Ger Loughnane was fair, he treated us all the same during training - like
    dogs' -anonymous Clare hurler

'Any chance of an autograph? Its for the wife...she really hates you' - Tipp
    fan to Ger Loughnane

'I'm not giving away any secrets like that to Tipp. If I had my way, I
    wouldn't even tell them the time of the throw-in' - Ger Loughnane on his
    controversial selection policy.

'You can't win derbies with donkeys' -Babs Keating before Tipp played Cork
    in 1990

'Sheep in a heap' - Babs Keating description of Offaly in 1998

'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The
    players were sick and tired of him' - Offaly fan in 1998

'And as for you. You're not even good enough to play for this shower of
    useless no-hopers' - Former Clare mentor to one of his subs after a heavy
    defeat

'Nicky English was arrested in Nenagh for shaking a cigarette machine, but
    the gardai let him off when he said he only wanted to borrow twenty players'
    - Waterford fan after 2002 Munster final

'They have a forward line that couldn't punch holes in a paper bag' -Pat
    Spillane on the Cavan football team

'Meath players like to get their retaliation in first' - Cork fan 1988

'Meath make football a colourful game-you get all black and blue' - another
    Cork fan 1988

'Colin Corkery is deceptive. He is slower than he looks' - Kerry fan

'Life isn't all beer and football...some of us haven't touched a football in
    months' - Kerry player during league campaign 1980s.

Good man...Thats Feckin funny.

If you have any more please post them...
    I have lots of fools on my mailing list tht eat that stuff up

well i have some soc*er ones plagiarised from f365......

hang on a sec....'good man'?? is that addressed to me? cos i'll have you know.....you don't think....well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

These are pure class, well worth a read

Some Famous Micheal O Muirheartaigh quotes

... and Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, i'll tell ye a little story. I was in Times' Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a newsstand and I said 'I suppose ye wouldn't have the Kerryman would ye?' To which, the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said 'do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?'... he had both...so I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet..."

"Anthony Lynch the Cork corner back will be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers"

"I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them, the priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! 40 yards out on the Hogan stand side of the field Ciaran Whelan goes on a rampage, its a goal. So much for religion."

"Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. Its over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery.

"1-5 to 0-8.. well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language"

"Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now ... but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail ...... I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!"

"I see John O Donnell dispensing water on the sideline. Tipperary, sponsored by a water company. Cork Sponsored by a tae company. I wonder will they meet later for afternoon tae."

"Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy"

"Danny "The Yank" Culloty. He came down from the mountains and hasn't he done well"

"He grabs the sliotar, he's on the 50......he's on the 40......he's on the 30..........................he's on the ground"

"In the first half they played with the wind. In the second half they played with the ball"

"He kicks the ball lan san aer, could've been a goal, could've been a point.............it went wide."

"Stephen Byrne with the puck out for Offaly....Stephen, one of 12......all but one are here to-day, the one that's missing is Mary, she's at home minding the house.....and the ball is dropping i lar na bpairce...."

"Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar, I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns ands prints for goal, the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick. Fox to the 21 fires a shot, it goes to the left and wide..... and the dog lost as well

"Sean Og o Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold

"Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation "

revelate are you trying to tell me you some form of species other than a male human ?

What is it your getting at ?...Your..not...a cork person by any chance are ya ? If you are, look on the bright side. Least your not from Meath.
    !

:eek:

waylander, Those quotes are legend, any more like that would be much appricated. Cant get enough of that stuff.

• Advertisement

well alany, that depends on whether you consider a FEMALE another species.....

having mistaken by gender you now proceed to insult me with the mother of all insults....saying i'm from cork...oh...there'll be slaps....

to ensure no further misunderstandings, i'm a proud waterford girl now living in dublin...(grrr)

Advertisement