Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can i gain weight

Options
  • 29-11-2002 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Anyone got any suggestions on how to gain weight safely.

Ive been weight training for the last 2 years but i've only gained 1 stone in weight. Ive tried the usual supplements such as creatine and protein shakes (which i still take)and cant seem to go above my current weight (11 stone 4).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

honest question here... why would someone want to GAIN weight?(apart from if they're incredibly skinny, which this guy doesn't seem to be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Make sure you're eating the right kind of foods at the right times for a start. Alternate your diet and ensure you are shovelling in enough extra food to gain muscle and fat every week. Supplements are all well and good but you need the basic calorific intake and energy to benefit fully, along with your training. Ensure you eat something with plenty of protein within an hour of your sessions too.

On the issue of weight-training itself make sure you're alternating and rotating your exercises. Doing the same sort of sets day in day out will lead to your body adapting too much to the type of strain being put on it, and thus preventing muscle hypertrophy.

If you're currently training five times a week cut it down to three for a few weeks, and increase the amount of sets or reps and possibly resistance and make your sessions higher impact in a shorter amount of time. Likewise if you're only training three times a week jump it up to five shorter sessions, and concentrate on for example two muscle-groups a day.

Plateaus in weight(lean mass) gain are generally due to poor nutrition or stagnant training methods. Get some variety in there, make sure you're eating right and alternate your sessions. Ensure you're getting adequate rest between sessions, 48 hours being ideal for any specific muscle group. Giving your muscles time to heal themselves and grow larger after ripping them to shreds by lifting weights is the aim of the game.

Personally I work off ten-week cycles, but usually alter resistances and reps and sometimes use resistance sets just to ensure my body is being worked that little bit harder. I also try and vary the exercises themselves as much as possible also.

There are lots of articles about this sort of thing about the place I'm sure; as it happens the best of us. Do a search on google or maybe try Mens Health or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Old article by my brother on the weight gain topic

Some useful advice

Link

• Advertisement
Advertisement