Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isometrics - the way to work out when using the computer

• 23-11-2002 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

If you are like me, and have a dial up connection, not enough memory on the computer, have to wait forever for everything to download and need to tone up, then isometrics could be the key.

I have quit smoking since the end of January, I am delighted, however I am left with residual fat and flabby muscles. The past 6 weeks I have been working out in the gym, which I really enjoy and I am feeling fitter and slightly toning up. However I have learnt the benefits of isometrics.

Basically it has been used by those in the services, etc, in terms of training and also in the event of being kept in captivity, it is a form of exercise where one can keep ones muscles strong and toned without actually using any weights, machines, etc. You can sit at your computer, stand in a queue, etc and carry out isometirc exercises. I hate wasting time, so now when I wait for my computer to load up I carry this out.

For example, you can tense your stomach muscles, hold for five seconds, and release. Clench your butt muscles, hold for five and release, if you raise your feet slightly, that increases the tension.

To do your upper body, clasp your two little fingers together, and pull. You can do this at your chest level, behind your back, in front at your belly and just below your neck. By doing that it works the muscles on your chest, back and arms. Where you feel the tension is where the muscles are being worked.

Alternatively when you tense any muscle then let go, that is basically what isometrics is all about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I think i do some of those when im using a computer without even noticing.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

With regard to Isometrics, they are indeed better than nothing and are an excellent way of delaying muscle atrophy for the inactive. Combining them with gym work as you say you are, is a good way to make progress.

However, some adopt Isometrics alone as an easier option claiming they are afraid of building big muscles doing weights and just want to tone. This is never the case as you will never 'accidentally' build big muscles through training. It is far to gradual and slow a process.

Just wanted to caution people who expected major results from it.
    If you want to stay toned, regular cardio excersise or light weight training is far more beneficial.

In my opintion unless you are doing Isometrics with something else (as the poster is) save Isometrics for when you are indeed
    being kept in captivity

JAK.

Advertisement