Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DeJa Vu?!?!?!

Options
  • 19-11-2002 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi
    Like everyone, I get deja vu from time to time.
    But recently im getting it frequently and in quite long bursts of connected events. Its quite strange, kind of dreamlike:-O
    Anyone get this at all or have I finally lost it?
    I have been sleeping a lot so that might be it, isnt deja vu supposed to be seeing things that look familiar cos youve dreamt similar?
    any views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Got waked in the head a while ago playing rugby and had deja vu for about 5 seconds! I remained conscious but knew what would happen.
    I found that very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

get it all the time. i dont sleep much. it rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I used to get little ones all the time, everything would be so familiar but id never be able to tell what happens next, bar this one time where I had one for about 2 minutes (as opposed to 10-15 seconds) and I knew what was gonna happen.

Now wether me knowing (or thinking I knew) what was gonna happen helped it to happen (I was partially involved) I dunno, but boy was I freaked out.

Then when I reached maturity I didnt get them anymore, now Im left with just my massive hair growth problem around full moon time and that nasty aversion to sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Originally posted by Snaga
    (as opposed to 10-15 seconds)

That is a hell of a long time as is! Count that out (1000 and 1 1000 and 2 ect.) and its a very long time to know whats going to happen for. 2mins????? Now thats just plan odd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

I have it from time to time. But one time I was asleep just in the morning before I got up and I had a really vivid dream which I remember after I got up and then that evening the dream came true and everything fit picture perfect to the dream. It was very weird. Btw the dream was something stupid but it was so vivid :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi McScruff

I have a theory on Deja Vu and on time itself. Like you and most likely nearly everyone on this planet, I experience Deja Vu, sometimes I know what can happen next, other times I get the feeling I have experienced the scene before.

I will talk on my theory on time first and Deja Vu ties in with it. Time as we know it, is broken into seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks and so forth. We time our lifetime from when we are born to when we die. We need time in a sense to make order in our lives. However time as such is an illusion. We perceive time. Now I can appreciate that what I am saying is relatively radical, however more and more people are beginning to see this with regards to time. A good example of time as a perception is said couple go to a movie. It starts at 7pm and finishes at 9pm. The girl loved the movie, time went very quickly for her. Said male hated the movie, the minutes ticked by very slowly.

Now it is my belief that time is not linear, i.e: moves from a to b, but that in the universe everything happens at once. Our past, present and future happen in a nanosecond in the universe, however to us, we percieve it in minutes, weeks, years, etc. Time is relative to perception.

To me, how deja vu ties in, I believe that when we are sleeping our unconsciousness percieves events, (the unconscious dones not percieve events in time) and sees them, so we move back and forth through time, hence deja vu. We have seen the event in our sleep and then days, months, years later we actually experience the event. My theory could be classed as crack pot but in my experience I believe that this is the case as it has happened so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

its a glitch in the matrix!

i always get deja vu, but only the type where u experience something and its seemed too familair. i did once dream somethign that came true, but i'm too scientific to believe it was anything other than coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Interesting theory.

I think that if you have Deja-Vu a lot it means that you are having too much repetition in your life, you need a change.

I have found myself with deja vu sometimes and it is maybe because my life is just one big repeating feedback loop of endless monotony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

deju vu is simply due to tiredness.

it's when your mind processes things slower than you see them, so as you are processing what you see you remember seeing it before. a millisecond before.

its not cos of a glitch in the the space time continum or any of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Originally posted by McGinty
    Now it is my belief that time is not linear, i.e: moves from a to b, but that in the universe everything happens at once. Our past, present and future happen in a nanosecond in the universe, however to us, we percieve it in minutes, weeks, years, etc. Time is relative to perception.

McGinty, you're quite correct. Time indeed is not linear. It's a sprial, and space is a curve (Stephen Hawkings, Brief History of Time for you unbelievers). I have always thought, on that basis, that the whole idea of metering time i.e with a clock is a complete waste of time. Bearing in mind that time is a spiral, is it not credible that within your own timeline that two curves on different sections your own spiral meet i.e. the curve of elapsed time and current time? I dont buy the conventional theory that subconciously your brain picks up images before you are conciously aware of them giving you the idea of "I have been here before" because the image is already planted in your subconcious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

Hi all
    Interesting Theory McGinty! I can honestly say that I never thought of that one, your idea abought tiredness sounds the most logical tho kirn. O well, its still pretty cool when it happens!
    laters...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I watched a program on this awhile ago and according to scientists the feeling of Deja vu is caused by a delay in the brain receiptors between your eyes and brain.Which means you see something but by the time it reaches you brain you have moved on so when it does hit your brain you get the feeling of familiarity.

Prob crap but anyhow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i get dejavu all the time to, usually i try to do what i think i never done in the dream i had, but then realise 5 seconds later that i actually did what i did in the dream (if that makes sense), then i get the thoughts i was getting in the dream :p

hmm maybe i should be asking if i've lost it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Im getting it bad lately.

Its starting to scare me, Its weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Best theory I heard was that it was your mind processing things that happened and resembled previous events and merely hitting on that past memory as it filed it away... kinda triggered a familiar feeling cause you've done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

That theory of yours is food for thought McGinty. Deja Vu is something thats always fascinated me.

What I found weird at one stage was that I started to experience DeJa Vu slightly differently than I had done previously. Sometimes now when it happens it not only feels like "this has happened to me before" but "This has happened to me before and I remember the last time it happened thinking that this has happened before".

Deja Vu of Deja Vu if you like.

(also any URL's to more info on the time theories?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

There have been at least 15 times when I've dreamt something that happens later. And sometimes i get really paranoid, like im still dreaming or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Fun theory McGinty - and although a little far fetched for me, I would accept we generally have a long way to go before anyone can make definitive statements about either the human mind or time. For that reason I wouldn't dismiss any theory out of hand.

I get it rarely enough - and it is never something really prolonged - just a moment and feeling. I used to get it more as a kid.

I also liked the idea of the mind 'filing' a memory and knocking into an older similar one ... makes some sense to me.

I dunno - it is a fairly interesting phenomenon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Durden

I get a slightly odd(er) version of Deja Vu to whats being described here... I'll wake up one morning, remembering a tiny bit of a dream, with something completly unconnected to anything else, then a good while later, up to a couple years even, that 5 second or so little bit of memory will happen. Very odd, kinda cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sometimes now when it happens it not only feels like "this has happened to me before" but "This has happened to me before and I remember the last time it happened thinking that this has happened before".

Shad0r. Thank god i thought I was the only one!! Personally I think Deja vu is just an errant chemical signal in the brain. The wrong bunch of neurons being triggered etc. Being an atheist I always believe there is a physical rational explanation for everything rather than a metaphysical one. But thats just me!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

My theory on Deja Vu is that you actually DIDN'T have the first experience in the chain and it is only your brain telling you that what you have just seen is something you have seen before when in reality you never did.

Regarding theories I've heard one about 'memory' being passed down through DNA and as such you are seeing images of events that may have occured to your ancestors , but I find that hard to believe as some of my own Deja-vu's are so time and place specific that I know they couldn't have happened to my ancestors eg something happening whilst I was working on my own particular computer

• Registered Users Posts: 25 clipper

ah shad0r, calibos- i too have the deja vu of deja vu type of deja vu.
    man, this could get complicated.
    as theories go, i'm going with the we ain't got a clue how to really grasp the concept of time one. memories from our ancestors!!! no way. some neurochemical malfunction? well, i know a tad about that kinda s***, but i'd still wager that time is messin with our noggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i have it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Originally posted by McGinty

Dont mean to nit-pic but wouldn't that mean times linear?
    anyway, I've often gotten it be for, but never notice U had it till after the event.

the best memory I've ever had of it was.. I was down in Burr or how ever you spell it. with my geog class from school. AT night I remember turning to the inside of the bunk bed and seeing the refelction of the flash lights people had out shining about. moving about the board... odd thing was that the dream I had of this happened about 4 years before the event. you may ask your-self how I remembered a dream for so long? well I never remember my dreams once I wake up (even if I dream at all) So that I should remember that odd one once I woke up stok with me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This thread has already been opened here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70694

sorry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Durden

anyway, I've often gotten it be for, but never notice U had it till after the event.

I always notice it as its happening... its like "Christ, this has happened before, hasn't it? Wait, no, that was a dream... was it?" terminally confusing...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I remember a few years ago, i had a conversation with a friend of mine, and after a few seconds i had a feeling that i had this conversation before... and i felt i knew exactly what my friend was going to say, and then he said it word for word...

I then said to him that i knew what he was going to say, it was a really freaky moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

odd thing was that the dream I had of this happened about 4 years before the event. you may ask your-self how I remembered a dream for so long?

I'm not sure its true or not but I've always believed everything you see\hear\experience stays in your head for pretty much eternity

eg in school a teacher asks you where was the earliest evidence of human life in Ireland, you think you have no Idea but then some girl sitting next to ya mentions something about new sandals and suddenly Mount Sandal hits you.

Its like a computer with no icon for its hard drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Doc
    Got waked in the head a while ago playing rugby and had deja vu for about 5 seconds! I remained conscious but knew what would happen.
    I found that very odd.
    Originally posted by kirn
    deju vu is simply due to tiredness.

it's when your mind processes things slower than you see them, so as you are processing what you see you remember seeing it before. a millisecond before.

its not cos of a glitch in the the space time continum or any of that...

I think these two tie in very well. The knock on the head slowed down perception, but the eyes kept on seeing what was happening. When the consciousness caught up, the eyes had seen it all before.

Next time you get Deja-Vu shout out
    "OMFG LAG! Nothing Registers!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by Sposs
    I watched a program on this awhile ago and according to scientists the feeling of Deja vu is caused by a delay in the brain receiptors between your eyes and brain.Which means you see something but by the time it reaches you brain you have moved on so when it does hit your brain you get the feeling of familiarity.

Prob crap but anyhow :)

thats more or less it...

Basically when you see something it is stored in your memory and processed by your brain at the same time. If the Processing happens slightly after the memory storage you will access the memory rather than the direct experience(rather like cache in a browser :) ). There by it registers in your brain as PAST due to it being a memory...

wow now that i think of it the simularities between the way it works and a computer are mindblowing

I used to think that Deja Vu was a Kick ass Psychic thing. Then i found out the truth that i just had cognetive errors from time to time :(

Advertisement