Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone read EDGE?

Options
  • 17-11-2002 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

then why the hell aren't you part of the best games forum around?

EDGE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Because the EDGE forum is almost entirely made up of whinging poncey prima-donna types who don't actually LIKE games, they just like their own egos. Reading that place is f*cking depressing actually - of course it doesn't help that it's regularly full of hugely uninformed rubbish (like the recent "Fairplay" campaign, which originated on the EDGE forums).

That said, I'm not a huge fan of EDGE, but while they may be up their own arses a bit they at least almost always get their facts right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive gotta agree with you Shinji.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Personally, I don't read it because it's pretty intimidating. There are a lot of hardcore gamers on there, who really know their stuff. And there's a lot of idiots on there who like to pretend they know their stuff (not like here, eh?). But generally, I don't post on there because it seems a much more closed-off clique than the wonderful (ahem), warm (AHEM), welcoming (COUGH) people on boards.ie.

I still reckon it's the best local(ish) forum for serious videogame discussion.
    Originally posted by Shinji
    ...hugely uninformed rubbish (like the recent "Fairplay" campaign, which originated on the EDGE forums).
    I'll bite - you don't agree with the fairplay campaign? Why on earth not? Would this have anything to do with the fact that you work in the videogames industry and get to play a lot of games for free? Maybe we should throw this into a seperate thread.

Actually, I don't get a lot of games for free - I'm a business journalist, not a full-time reviewer / consumer journalist any more. I end up buying quite a lot of games these days... Spent sixty quid in GAME yesterday, as it happens.

As a consumer, I'd obviously like games to be cheaper. I'd like cornflakes to be cheaper too, and coffee, and ice cream. And sports cars, it'd be good if they were cheaper too. However, the basis of the Fairplay campaign wasn't "wouldn't it be nice if games were cheaper", it was "games are a rip-off and its hurting the games industry" - which is patent rubbish on a number of counts.

For a start, if games really were a rip-off, 300,000 people wouldn't have rushed out to buy Vice City last weekend. It's that simple; when stuff is vastly overpriced, people don't buy it, they vote with their wallets, and consumers have NOT done this. In fact, games have been gradually getting cheaper over the past ten years or so, contrary to what the Fairplay muppets seem to believe. People have very short memories; they complain about new games costing £34.99 now, forgetting that a new SNES cart could set you back £60.

For another thing, their business models don't hold up. Stuart Campbell, the amazingly embittered journalist behind the whole farce, obviously hasn't got the first clue about how the value chain for games works, or indeed how the industry works in general. He claims that if we made games half the price they are now, they'd sell twice as many, and everyone would be better off. This is the single core argument of Fairplay; and anyone with the first clue about economics can tell you what a load of crap it is. For a start, doubled sales does NOT cover a 50% price reduction; in fact, you'd need to double sales to cover a price-drop of around 30%. For another thing, there is absolutely no proof to the claim that we'd buy twice as many games if they were half the price anyway; do you think warez kiddies will stop downloading or copying games if they cost £20 instead of £40, for example? Would you buy games you don't particularly want just because they cost less? Obviously there'd be SOME increase in purchases - hardcore gamers like myself and a fair few others here would buy more games, although certainly not twice as many - but the claims of a doubling of sales aren't backed up by any statistics or research.

It shows, too. Question the Fairplay campaign, and rather than going off and finding research to prove their claims, they tell you that it's up to you to disprove them (assuming that they can stop flinging mud at you and misquoting you for long enough to say so). That's not how this kind of thing works - if they want the industry to change its practices, they need to prove that they're right and the industry is wrong. Right now, their "proof" is a petulant "because I say so! prove me wrong!".

There's some other ludicrous stuff in there - like the claim that console manufacturers should stop subsidising consoles so that they don't have to charge a licensing fee on all games. This would drop the price of games by between £7 and £12 pounds, but would mean that console hardware cost upwards of £500. It'd balance out - once you've bought the console and about 15 games, you'd be better off than you would have been if you bought a subsidised console and more expensive games. But, well, how many people want 15 games for their machine? Hell, how many consoles right now have 15 games that are actually worth playing?

It's rubbish, and thankfully it's died on its feet. I printed a rebuttal to it originally (after finding out that they'd used six year old, out of date and out of context quotes from Peter Molyneux on their site... They then proceeded to rip quotes from Miles Jacobson and from myself off the site and use them out of context, but I really couldn't be bothered arguing at this stage) but since then I've ignored it. And so, it seems, has everyone else.

For a start, if games really were a rip-off, 300,000 people wouldn't have rushed out to buy Vice City last weekend.

You seem to be missing one of the main points of the fairplay campaign, or more accurately - ignoring it. The fairplay campaign is not arguing that 'people aren't buying games because they cost too much'. They're saying that the price of game is hurting the industry because it is making (forcing?) people to be very cautious with the money they spend on games, and only going towards buying the big-name games, where you know what you're getting. The case of Vice City is a bit of a double-edged sword in this instance, since it is a really good game - but it is also nothing drastically new, in terms of gameplay. I, personally, was not 'voting' with my wallet - I was simply too afraid to take a chance on another, perhaps better game, since I knew exactly what I was getting in the case of GTA:VC. I can easily see where Fairplay are coming from, in saying that this kind of behaviour is stifling innovation in the videogames industry.

In my perfect world, everyone's PS2 collection would include Ico and Rez. Unfortunately, this will not happen, because of the prohibitively high price of these (and other) games.

In fact, games have been gradually getting cheaper over the past ten years or so, contrary to what the Fairplay muppets seem to believe. People have very short memories; they complain about new games costing £34.99 now, forgetting that a new SNES cart could set you back £60.
    If by 'A New SNES Cart', you are referring to the singular, I agree, because I have only seen one game at that price - Metroid. But I assumed that was the box was so much bigger.

Overall, your argument here only superficially holds any water. The increased cost of manufacturing, and licensing fees etc. for carts meant that the carts were always more expensive than their CD counterparts. The changeover to CD/DVD-based consoles meant that prices _did_ come down in the short term, but have since shot up again.
    and anyone with the first clue about economics can tell you what a load of crap it is
    I, personally, do not have a first clue about economics, so I cannot comment on your numbers here, however...
    For another thing, there is absolutely no proof to the claim that we'd buy twice as many games if they were half the price anyway; do you think warez kiddies will stop downloading or copying games if they cost £20 instead of £40, for example?Would you buy games you don't particularly want just because they cost less?
    I got my DVD player at roughly the same time as my PS2. Now - a a rough count on my DVD collection, 150 or so, not all 'gems', not all films I particularly wanted (two examples: Million Dollar Hotel was bought when hung over, seemed like a fantastic idea at the time. Also: the Erotic Witch Project. Uh.. best not ask :D). A rough count of PS2 games - 10. I can tell you, personally, this is directly due to the fact that I cannot easily justify, in my own head, spending EUR60+ on one game, when I'm not even sure what it is like. Getting burned by a dodgy purchase also made it a lot harder for me to justify this (game in question: Prisoner of War - eugh).

Your comment about the warez kiddies is relevant, though. Certainly, the only way to stop the hardcore warez kids in their tracks would be to give the games away for free, but a decrease in price would certainly curb the 'casual' warez trade. This is something I have seen an increase in - people who really have no interest in the warez culture, they just want to play a game, wihtout paying through the nose for it. One could certainly argue this could be due to a large takeup in p2p networks and broadband, but I personally doubt this is the main cause.

if they want the industry to change its practices, they need to prove that they're right and the industry is wrong.
    I can't disagree with what you are saying here, however, as is my understanding of the situation - it is not even easy to produce an accurate list of figures to show exactly where the inflated price is coming from. But this does not exactly bother the roots of the campaign.
    It's rubbish, and thankfully it's died on its feet. I printed a rebuttal to it originally (after finding out that they'd used six year old, out of date and out of context quotes from Peter Molyneux on their site...
    This is apparently something they took to heart, and have since conducting a full-on interview with Peter Molyneux, to set the record straight.
    http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk/opinion2.htm.

You consistently mention the fact that 'consumers vote with their wallets'. This is exactly what the fairplay campaign is about - urging people to vote with their wallets, flex their muscles, and demonstrate to the entire chain of video games production that they are there to serve the consumers, not the other way round. This is the crux of the fairplay argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

The fairplay campaign is not arguing that 'people aren't buying games because they cost too much'. They're saying that the price of game is hurting the industry because it is making (forcing?) people to be very cautious with the money they spend on games,

you seem to be missing one quite important point here. in 2001 the computer games industry grew by something like 12% when other mass entertainment industries were contracting by as much. look at music, big record companies are terrified and are trying to blame new technology for the slump. it looks like this year there will be another large spurt in computer game sales again.

in the long term there might be an incentive for publishers to drop prices because that kind of growth is ultimatley not sustainable. in the short term there will be still be huge growth (1-2years) but by the end of that period we will have reached saturation point and there will be a contraction until the next generation of consoles begin to appear.

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    you seem to be missing one quite important point here. in 2001 the computer games industry grew by something like 12% when other mass entertainment industries were contracting by as much. look at music, big record companies are terrified and are trying to blame new technology for the slump. it looks like this year there will be another large spurt in computer game sales again.
    I'm missing nothing.
    These figures do not reflect the fact that, weekly, at least one publisher/development house goes out of business. Last year, I think approximately 70 publisher/development houses shut down. Bear in mind that this is at a time when there is, as you say a '12% growth' in the video games industry, and you are touching on one of the points the fairplay campaign is trying to make.

These figures do not reflect the fact that, weekly, at least one publisher/development house goes out of business.

That has nothing to do with the price of games. It has everything to do with the fact that a lot of publishers and developers are horrendously mismanaged - these people would go bust running a car dealership or a cornershop, never mind a development or publishing business. The growth of the industry reflects its popularity with consumers, not a growth in competence of the people running companies that go bust. EA, Activision, THQ, Sony, Nintendo... All publishers making loads of profit right now and healthy as can be. Very few developers are publicly quoted, but Argonaut, for example, is doing very nicely for itself, as is Tecmo in Japan, while companies like Square, Enix, Capcom and Namco have all pulled themselves out of a rut and are doing good business (Capcom had a hiccup with a property investment that went bad but otherwise is doing great). If the games industry were f*cked, it'd be the whole industry - as it stands, well managed companies make money, badly managed companies don't (Infogrames, Bam etc).

The argument about whether cheaper games would encourage innovation is an interesting one, and it deserves a forum - preferably one a long way away from the ranting of the Fairplay lot. Personally I believe that there ARE changes which could be made to the pricing structure of games that would benefit innovation and niche titles, but the massive over-simplification of the issue by Fairplay and the aggressive, unpleasant and confrontational way in which they presented their "campaign" has basically removed any chance of that being discussed in a mature manner by the industry within the next few years - which is a shame.

Fundamentally, the point remains the same; the arguments of the Fairplay campaign are unproven and not backed up by any research, facts or professional economic opinion. Not only that, they are presented in a manner which effectively calls the very people in whose hands the decision on pricing would rest a bunch of idiots; not exactly a clever way to go about winning over hearts and minds. This is perhaps the thing I'm most annoyed about; Stuart Campbell's unique ability to turn anything he touches into a vehicle for his attention-whoring, abrasive and unpleasant personality has destroyed what could potentially have spun into a very interesting debate about the future of the industry, not just in terms of pricing.

By the way, responding to your point about cartridge prices... Here's a more relevant set of figures, set over six years between two equivalent weeks in 1996 and 2002 (weeks chosen because those are the ones I sourced data for back when the Fairplay stuff started up).

Average retail price of Top PS2 game (Stuntman) (Week 39).....................£37.99
    Average retail price for all games last week (Week 39)....................................£22.36

Average retail price of top selling PS1 game (FIA Formula 1) (equivilant - Week 39)..£49.99
    Average retail price for all games (Week 39) ........................................................£31.90
    (Source: ELSPA. (ChartTrack))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I thought this was an Edge thread?
    :p

Anyways...i dont read the forums, but i do buy the magazine and really enjoy the monthly regulars like Redeye etc.

Although in general game are well priced, this is not reflected here in Ireland, but that is for stoopid reasons.
    I dont think games being priced at £45 [punts] is fair pricing and most games should not be priced this high, but unfortunately games in Ireland sometimes cost a whopping £50+.

Thankyou play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

I read EDGE and I used to contribute to the forum but I kind of just drifted away from it the more I started to post on boards.ie.

For some strange reason I almost feel guilty about that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    I'm missing nothing.
    These figures do not reflect the fact that, weekly, at least one publisher/development house goes out of business. Last year, I think approximately 70 publisher/development houses shut down. Bear in mind that this is at a time when there is, as you say a '12% growth' in the video games industry, and you are touching on one of the points the fairplay campaign is trying to make.

Linking to the interview with Peter Molyneux partly answers you’re ratting statement about 70 publisher/development houses shutting down. –

“PM: I believe Sony themselves have stood up and said that they really only want to deal with about five developers in the world. Some would say that the age of the small, boutique developer is struggling at the moment, and a lot of developers and smaller publishers are finding it very hard to keep their head above water.”

Publishers or developers shutting down has little to do with the so-called high price for games. If today prices dropped by 50% publisher and developers would tighten their pockets and more would shut down from lack of cash.

As for forums, boards.ie is better because its local, with local views, ideas, problems, events etc...

"Gaming Discussion
    Read the rules. No console wars, no x vs y, no ALL CAPS, no trolling, no abuse, no off-topic conversation, no idiocy. Talk about games, play nice, and you won't be banned." - EDGE Rules

No console wars?

no x vs y?

no idiocy?

NO FUN :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by monument
    No console wars?

no x vs y?

no idiocy?

FFS - "no fun" sounds about right

"No different opinions - be sweetie nice to each other"

Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

"Gaming Discussion
    Read the rules. No console wars, no x vs y, no ALL CAPS, no trolling, no abuse, no off-topic conversation, no idiocy. Talk about games, play nice, and you won't be banned." - EDGE Rules

No console wars?

no x vs y?

no idiocy?

theres an organised fighting folder for that , ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

For me, boards.ie occupies the middle ground of games forums.

At one end of the scale there's the EDGE forums - incredibly elitest, cliquey and far too concerned with other people's opinions on games.

Then on the other end of the spectrum, you have forums like the C&VG forums which at any one time would have a dozen console war threads, mostly full of insults or "XBOX RULES, GayStation suxx!!". Looking at the EDGE forum rules, it abides by none of them.

Then, you've got boards.ie: a forum with intelligent conversation - rarely descending into petty insults - while not going over the top with the snobiness of EDGE. It's certainly not perfect, but it's friendly. And you won't have to wade through pretentious "Are games art?" threads, or off-topic "Wat is da best WWF restler?!?!" threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

dunno ive been part of the regular edge forumites for a couple of years and don't find it bad at all, okay maybe at first you might think it isn't friendly but it is, they are just very close due to the meets they organise and everyone knows everyone..

its like alot of forums on the surface you see alot of flaming etc..
    but underneath it isn't always like that , and besides the amount of posters they have they do well to keep it under control..

definitely one of the busiest forums ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

We get Edge in the office, I read it (or the wonderful 442) on the bog. I would not buy it, as I find, personally, that a lot of the scores they give games have conflicted (big time) with what I would have given (eg: Few weeks ago giving Mario Sunshine a perfect 10 is just a joke, no game is perfect and Mario has some annoying issues). But as has been said before, there are several places on the net now where you can see what every site is giving a game and then pop over to that review and read it, not just one magazine.

Good games are great value for money. I paid £40 for Warcraft 3, and finished the single player in about 40 hours and now play it online. Before I worked there, I bought all the Championship Manager Games, and get 100's of hours of gameplay. The problem with the games industry is too many **** games, and too many games being released before they are ready. But that is another debate for another day!

Dont buy crap games and they will stop being made, end of story :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    Few weeks ago giving Mario Sunshine a perfect 10

Would you dispute the "10", they have to Halo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Dont buy crap games and they will stop being made, end of story

But how do you know the game will be crap before you buy it?

I stopped buying games five or six years ago (well, the odd PC game now and again) when I realised I wasn't getting value for money. So far it hasn't had a positive affect on quality!!!

As for EDGE, I have one or two issues but I find the tiny font hurts my eyes as does EDGE's singular lack of a sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

as someone who has played FPS games on PC I dont really like Halo's control system - but that aside the game, while being very good, is far from perfect..

as I said no game is totally perfect, every game has flaws..

Anyway I know that MS paid for that 10 in add's in the mag and cold hard brown paper bag cash :)

Few weeks ago giving Mario Sunshine a perfect 10 is just a joke, no game is perfect and Mario has some annoying issues.
    They didn't, they gave it 9!

Originally posted by theciscokid
    dunno ive been part of the regular edge forumites for a couple of years and don't find it bad at all
    Just out of interest ciscokid, what's your username over there?

Publishers or developers shutting down has little to do with the so-called high price for games. If today prices dropped by 50% publisher and developers would tighten their pockets and more would shut down from lack of cash.
    Again, this is something that is very hard to prove definitively, but you seem to be completely ignoring what the entire Fairplay campaign is arguing - they are predicting that a 50% drop in price would increase sales, at least balancing things out. Unfortunately, as I said - this is all very difficult to predict, so there's no way to conclusively prove to people that it will work.

Unfortunately, as I said - this is all very difficult to predict, so there's no way to conclusively prove to people that it will work.

Especially not when the people predicting it have provided NO basis in fact for this argument, and ignored several major costs in getting a game to market in even their most basic equations.

Especially not when the people predicting it have provided NO basis in fact for this argument, and ignored several major costs in getting a game to market in even their most basic equations.
    This is not something they try to hide. Read their website (no, really - do), and they make no bones about the fact that the entire process of getting a game to market is so convoluted with so many people involved that it's impossible to tell where exactly the unneccessary cost is coming into the equation. This is all written in black and white (or uh.. grey and white) on their website.

Indeed, they have no real basis 'in fact', as you say, but instead are going on the hypothesis that the video games industry's prohibitive price structure is negatively affecting the market, both in terms of 'innovation', and general uptake, and that a more consumer-friendly pricing structure would, in the long run, be more benefitial to the industry as a whole. The best comparison for this hypothesis would be the other modern phenomenon - DVDs. Currently the installed base of PS2s stands at approximately 40m. The figure you quoted for GTA:VC was ... 300,000 in its first week of release. The figures for sales of Lord of the Rings on DVD stands at 2.5m on its first week (the current record). Both could be seen as being the most-anticipated titles for the respective formats. It is not entirely unreasonable to suggest that the staggering amount of sales of Lord of the Rings was greatly aided by its comparitively low price (EUR25).

Regardless of how Fairplay is being marketed, or whatever personal grievence you have with Stuart Campbell - the hypothesis they are putting forward bears thinking about, and certainly does not deserve to be dismissed so quickly.

Personally, I'll be taking part in the Fairplay campaign, but probably not out of choice - simply because I'll be too broke to afford anything new and shiny.

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Anyways...i dont read the forums, but i do buy the magazine and really enjoy the monthly regulars like Redeye etc.
    I have to admit - RedEye's column is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know that every time I'm reading it, I should be literally shouting at the page, saying "I DON'T CARE ABOUT HOW MANY DRUGS YOU TOOK AT THE WEEKEND! I DON'T CARE ABOUT HOW BLASE YOU ARE ABOUT YOUR JOB! STOP TRYING TO RELATE YOUR HEAVY-DRINKING WEEKEND TO VIDEOGAMES SOMEHOW!" but I just can't bring myself to do it - I just think he's got a fantastic turn of phrase that keeps me reading.

But as for that Stephen Poole guy - jesus. I hurry past his page, and try not to think about the hours of my life I wasted reading his book.

<Smashes head off keyboard>
    This is not something they try to hide. Read their website...

Don’t joke your self. Nobody should predict ANY thing with "no basis in fact" "and ignored several major costs", if you do you’re talking BS.
    Currently the installed base of PS2s stands at approximately 40m. The figure you quoted for GTA:VC was ... 300,000 in its first week of release. The figures for sales of Lord of the Rings on DVD stands at 2.5m on its first week (the current record). Both could be seen as being the most-anticipated titles for the respective formats. It is not entirely unreasonable to suggest that the staggering amount of sales of Lord of the Rings was greatly aided by its comparitively low price (EUR25).

YES it is, the price would not matter to a Lord of the Rings fan.

LOTR was big before the films, a good few of my friends had read it before first year. You don’t understand how big it is, do you?
    Regardless of how Fairplay is being marketed, or whatever personal grievence you have with Stuart Campbell - the hypothesis they are putting forward bears thinking about, and certainly does not deserve to be dismissed so quickly. [/B]

I don’t think any thing that any body has said here is because of personal grievances with Stuart Campbell
    Personally, I'll be taking part in the Fairplay campaign, but probably not out of choice - simply because I'll be too broke to afford anything new and shiny. [/B]

Sense you will be "too broke" lets start a games 4 free campaign :)

I don’t think so!

Don’t joke your self. Nobody should predict ANY thing with "no basis in fact" "and ignored several major costs", if you do you’re talking BS.
    What they are proposing is a completely restructuring of the pricing of videogames, from the ground up - can you tell me where they could get facts to prove that such a radical idea could work? As I said - the campaign is proposing a hypothesis, and an interesting one, at that. One in which the kind of facts you are demanding are largely a moot point.

Actually - just so I'll know - what kind of 'facts' are we looking for here, anyway?
    YES it is, the price would not matter to a Lord of the Rings fan.
    Exactly my point. Certainly, Lord of the Rings fans would have no problems paying pretty much any amount for the DVD, but it would have cut the average viewer out of the picture - the ones that would have balked at the thought of paying EUR50 for a copy of the DVD of Lord of the Rings (not an unreasonable price, for a fan). These are the ones that made up the majority of the people who bought the Lord of the Rings DVD. You would be a fool to suggest that Lord of the Rings DVD could have achieved the same (or even similar) sales figures with that kind of price. This is exactly what I was talking about, with regard cheaper prices affecting market penetration and 'breaking' the mainstream.
    LOTR was big before the films, a good few of my friends had read it before 5th class. You don’t understand how big it is, do you?
    Okay, brainiac - explain to me how, with an installed base of approximately 40m PS2s, the sales of the PS2 game of Lord of the Rings did not manage to rival that of the DVD? All it would take would be for one in twenty PS2 owners to buy this game, and we would have a comparable figure. Why didn't this happen?
    Please - I'm urging you to go and give this some real thought before you reply. If you come back with "well, maybe not all of those 40m people like Lord of the Rings", I'll be horrendously disappointed in you.
    I don’t think any thing that any body has said here is because of personal grievances with Stuart Campbell
    This was a joke, alluding to the fact that Stuart Campbell seems to completely rub Shinji up the wrong way. You see, it's funny because Shinji... oh never mind.
    Sense you will be "too broke" lets start a games 4 campaign :)

I don’t think so!
    This was another joke. Are you saying my humour is too dry? Is that it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Okay, brainiac - explain to me how, with an installed base of approximately 40m PS2s, the sales of the PS2 game of Lord of the Rings did not manage to rival that of the DVD? All it would take would be for one in twenty PS2 owners to buy this game, and we would have a comparable figure. Why didn't this happen

I'm not going to explain why it didn't happen but you can't compare the two just like that. For a fair comparison you need to compare the base of DVD players with the amount of LOTR DVD sales and express the second as a percentage of the first. Then compare the base of PS2s with the amount of LOTR game sales and express the second as a percentage of the first (yeah, I do realise it's also out on PC but we'll ignore that for obvious reasons). Then compare the two percentages.

I don't think even doing that is much of an indication - I loved LOTR, haven't bought the DVD yet but will be soon. I'm unlikely to get the game and it's nothing to do with the price (I won't even download it)

It's certainly true that if games were cheaper more would be sold. The question is how many more would be sold. I'd suggest (and believe it to be so) that demand for games does not have a totally elastic demand curve. Halving prices will not result in doubled sales. Even if it did, profits would still not be at the same level (because of the fixed manufacturing and distribtion costs (even ignoring the variable development and marketing costs) sales would have to more than double to keep the margin at the same level, even if revenue remained the same. That's economics 101 mixed with management accounting 101.

Advertisement