Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog person or Cat person?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

gotta say i would have to go dogs, dogs are more loyal than a cat could ever be, forget to feed a cat and he is nearly packing the bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I prefer cats. Nothing against dogs, I just think cats are much smarter and more independent and I generally get on with them better than I do dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

definetly a dog person.. ive found them to be more loyal..
    I feel you could have a cat for 10 years and he would run away and not think twice about coming back to you

cats are useless anyway...
    dogs however can guard your home and you (guard dogs), support blind people (guide dogs), they can help the police (sniffer dogs), and if you're in china.. they make a great meal :D(j/k) and they also make great pets

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Thaed
    Dogs are big, dumb, slobbery, clingy animals that you have to do everything for ( or was that men ! )

No, that's dogs you're thinking of alright...

yup... definitely...

Cats are more independant, but they kown who loves them and
    they give as much affection as a dog if you deserve it .

I'd be more of a cat person meself too. Not that I dislike dogs, - I'd just probably be more likely to get a cat as a pet... but not as long as I'm living in the same house as my father... he hates the things with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've had many of both in our family down the eons, so I'd have to say I love both! A cats much less work which can be important,but not as much fun as a dog.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pepperkin

Okay, at the risk of getting lynched...I think a persons choice between dog and cat says a lot about them!
    But aside from that....

I am, always was, always will be, a cat person. I'm not intimidated by their pride, and I don't need an animal to be absolutely blindly loyal to me in order to feel like they like me. Not to mention, I don't admire stupidity in animals any more than I do humans, and dogs tend to be just plain dumb. I mean, how smart do you have to be to stay with some of these dog owners? That loyalty could have that poor mutt in a home with people whom abuse him. I'll take a smart cat any day.
    And as affectionate as my cats are, I don't lack for affection. My cat Tribble is a little love-slut, he has NO dignity. He prowls around waiting for me to sit and then he pounces and waits to be petted...and petted...and petted...never mind that I'm reading a book...but cats are warm and snuggly lap sleepers and most dogs stink and squirm and don't fit on my little lap anyway. A warm snuggly cat, in a nice comfy armchair, in front of a fire....yeah, that's a lovely evening.

Although in favour of dogs, they're not as likely to stick their butt in your face the way cats do...

And the lack of having to bathe them and put up with Wet Dog smell is a definite bonus! :)

However, I also love ferrets :)

*Disclaimer* Part of my angst with dogs is having had one tear half my face off as a kid and going through loads of plastic surgery so take that into account .....dogs scare the crap out of me. I think I still would have been a cat person, tho. I admire independence and pride, having so much of it myself :)
    And if the cat thinks he's smarter than me...well, he probably is. Look who does all the work, after all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Pepperkin,

Something like that would definitely scare a lot of people off dogs. Sorry to hear about it :(

However, you mention the dog smell, but not the ferret smell? Ee-uck! They are cute little critters though. Like teensy tiny dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pepperkin

"However, you mention the dog smell, but not the ferret smell? Ee-uck! They are cute little critters though. Like teensy tiny dogs."

Well, my ferret is de-scented, and I keep his cage clean. Not to mention, he gets baths once a month. (okay, that's not that often, if you bathe a ferret too much they actually get smellier as they overcompensate...)
    In any case, my ferret doesn't really smell. Or maybe having been a ferret-friend for 9 years now, I don't notice anymore!
    Ferrets are just awesome :) I reccomend them to anyone whom can't have a dog.

And yeah, it sucked having had a huge dog with issues pounce me, but fortunately I'm okay and have only a few tiny lasting scars, so I was one of the lucky ones when it comes to dog attacks! I'll take a cat any day...too proud to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cats myself. Nothing against dogs, love my Dog too... how could you not.. must post a pic some time... But i have always had an affinity with cats and they usually trust me too.. im a magnet and end up with strays!

The best thing is they dont bark... are quiet and when playful are more fun than dogs if you have some string.. or in my cats case those metal wires coated in plastic that you get when you buy something.. like cable ties but im sure they have a special name.. anyway she loves them and goes wild for me to play with them. If i say to her "Where's your wire?" show looks around then comes rub me so i will go find one and play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

dogs definately even though I have a cat as well. peice of **** is always scratching me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms Taken

I have to say i love cats more but i had my own dog for 14 years whom i loved dearly and no other dog will ever take his place.

Advertisement