Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.play.com

Options
2»

Comments

I've ordered a lot items from play.com in the last few months and I have to say that it is the cheapest online shop in Europe if not the world. Also items marked as gifts under a certain price are exempt from VAT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Darko what did I tell you???

Its all fine untill the Irish customs find out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I have used Paly.com fort a few years now (back when it was play247.com) and had no problems at all. The stuff is shipped a bit slower than other sites but I'm prepared to live with that for the prices.

As for Irish customs - since the stuff is shipped from within the EU, VAT is paid at source. Customs have no way of knowing if the goods have/haven't be charged VAT from the packaging.

Hyzepher

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    As for Irish customs - since the stuff is shipped from within the EU, VAT is paid at source. Customs have no way of knowing if the goods have/haven't be charged VAT from the packaging.

Hyzepher

(If you had read the last page on this thread you would have seen the loop hole…)

Jersey is in the UK, BUT it’s NOT in the EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Doesn't seem too cheap at the moment, given currency exchange rates etc..

GTA3 Vice City from play.com, works out at about €54.56
    It's available in Smiths Toystore for: €58

Represents a €3 saving, but you have to wait week/week and a half...

Think I'll pop down to Smiths on Friday..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Twodogs

GTA3 cost £29.99 for the PS2 version and £17.99 for the PC version with Play.com. This converts to €46 and €28 respectively. This is a big difference in price.

Vice City cost €51

I for one don't mind waiting 4 or 5 days, on principle, for these savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by monument
    (If you had read the last page on this thread you would have seen the loop hole…)

Jersey is in the UK, BUT it’s NOT in the EU!

They are based in Jersey, but they ship from Belguim, which is in the EU.

Originally posted by Makaveli

I’m guessing its another loop hole???

I don’t really know. Do you want me to ask customs?:))

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Makaveli

Don't matter, their registered office is in Jersey, hence V.A.T. returns etc. are done from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

im still waiting for pro-evolution 2

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by podgeen
    im still waiting for pro-evolution 2

When did you order it?
    In my experience, it usually takes about a week on average for orders to arrive (best was 3 days), allow a bit more than that.

If your game does not arrive within 2 weeks give them a ring, their number is 0044 845 8001020.
    I have only ever had a problem with an order once (out of 49) and when I rang them they sent a replacement immediately, no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ah podgeen, you havent got it yet? didnt you say that yours was posted on the 26/10(Saturday) - 3 days after my copy of PES2 was posted(which i recieved 8 days go!!!).

Theres definitely something wrong there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Sometimes orders go astray and arrive late. I order three cds one time and one arrived. Now, you have to wait two weeks before they can do anything about it. So after two weeks they hadnt arrived I sent them an e-mail and they sent me out two new ones. A couple of days later I got them and then the originals arrived too. So sometimes it's just really slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

it arrived today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭mystik

i ordered a game last sunday, still hasn't come....hope its here tomorra...ye, another useless post by me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

has anyone that pre ordered GTA-VC got it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deathwarmedup

I haven't. They sent my copy out on Wednesday night. I'm hoping that it turns up tomorrow.

Originally posted by deathwarmedup
    I haven't. They sent my copy out on Wednesday night. I'm hoping that it turns up tomorrow.

same here. it says on the site they sent it on wednesday so i hope i get it tomorrow!

Originally posted by deathwarmedup

got mine today. absolutely brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I have been dealing with Play.com for over 2 years now without one problem. My last purchase was LOTR-Directors Cut which was posted to me last Friday and arrived today(Friday), 1 week. I would not hesitate to reccommend them to anyone and I do not think there is anything dodgy about them at all. BTW the stamp on the package had "UK Import V.A.T. Paid" on it. This was with no extra cost to me as I pre-ordered this DVD nearly 4 months ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement