Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xXx

Options
  • 19-10-2002 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well start this thread (god knows someone has to do it!)....

Whats the verdict?

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good fun, awful dialog (but in a good way - lots of cheesy oneliners!) and some unbelievable stunts.

Once again (as with Reign of Fire) it might have benefited from a 15s or 18s rating (and some extra violence). Its an action movie that doesn't pretend to be anything more - its basically a non-interactive video game. :)

Great fun, though..... the last 15 or 20 mins are incredible.

The only bad point is the music. The score was very good, but some of the action scenes have awful heavy metal rubbish.

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Very poor!
    I enjoyed the Bond DAD promo beforehand.
    There was too much time in between action scenes.
    You could argue that you want some dialogue, but c'mon this is an action flick minus the serious action.

..ooh and its so american, especially "No.10", i mean there were 355/360 and a Cerbera and he wants the blocky ugly piece of crap.
    :)

The russian agent is mmm MMM.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Who else thought the stars-and-stripes parachute went just a little bit too far with the James Bond ripping-off??

Apart from being such a rip-off at times, I thought it was quite enjoyable as an action film. But that's me...

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fun film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

This is an appeal to anyone who wants to see this film - do not go to see this film. Please, please, please, do not go to see this film. Please do not line the pockets of the people who made this film, proving to them how easy it is to manipulate people into thinking they are watching a 'good' film.

Unfortunately, I think my appeal came too late - there is already a sequel in development. I hear the tag line will be "xXx 2: like taking candy from a baby".

If you feel like you must see this film, just rent out Teen Agent. There are not a whole lot of differences between the two films, and at least by renting out Teen Agent, you will be doing a good deed - your money will be helping poor Richard Grieco stay alive for another day.

But don't see xXx. Please?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

awww and it looked good in the reviews :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ObeyGiant ... don't be such a stick-in-the-mud!

Everyone else .... Its a FUN film. You'll forget about it 10 minutes after leaving the cinema, but while you are there, you will ENJOY IT! It isn't going to tax your brain, there is no deep philosophical undercurrent running through the movie. Its all about action, oneliners, explosions and suicidal stunts.

Jeeez.... I go to the cinema to be entertained. And I was entertained. Money well spent. End of f**king story! :rolleyes:

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Jeez Obey, you gonna consider a career in politics?:rolleyes:

I'm prolly not gonna see it in the cinema. Work at the weekends and week nights rulez that out.

However, I do in fact think Vin Diesel is a pretty good action guy and so I DO intend on seeing Triple X at some stage.
    Maybe on DvD in a while.

And guys, so what if it's a rip off of Bond?
    Now I know Bond is the original, but XxX is for the 21st century.

Before I make whatever point I came here to make, let me point out one obvious flaw in what you're trying to say here...
    Originally posted by TmB
    You'll forget about it 10 minutes after leaving the cinema
    Originally posted by TmB
    Money well spent
    I think you can see where I'm going with this... I'd just like a brief explaination of that apparently contradiction in your sentences. Nothing too taxing, just enough to convince me you're not plucking random sentences out of your ass. Cheers.

So, my point...
    Guys, I simply disagreed with your opinions. This does not mean I was a moron, expecting too much... expecting to find some "deep philosophical undercurrent" in a Vin Diesel vehicle. I was expecting to find an entertaining bit of fluff. I was looking for an excuse to huddle in the dark with a bunch of strangers, and stuff face with nachos and chocolate and all sorts of other things that are really, really bad for me, while staring slack-jawed at some fantastic pyrotechnic set-pieces.

Like you, I was expecting to be entertained.

Instead - I was patronised. Bombarded with ridiculously over-the-top MTV-sponsored statements. When I saw the sticker for "Skateboarding is a crime", followed by all the stuff about Dick being "anti-videogames", "anti-rap music", "anti-anything-our-target-audience-holds-dear", I felt like retching.

But hey - maybe that's just me, maybe I'm odd for finding this kind of nonsense offensive. Hell - maybe I'm odd for not realising this was supposed to be so ridiculously over-the-top ("it's post-irony, dummy"). Maybe I'm odd for finding the entire process of being force-fed opinion like this incredibly patronising. And maybe I'm odd for feeling like I'd just been pickpocketed by a film.

But I doubt it.

*sigh*

Going to the cinema is pretty much a throwaway expense. Like going to the pub. Renting a video. Going out for a meal. Its a once off thing you do to pass a few enjoyable hours. Then its over.

The "forget it 10 minutes after leaving the cinema" and "money well spent" comments aren't contradictory - they're complementary.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by Kaimera

And guys, so what if it's a rip off of Bond?
    Now I know Bond is the original, but XxX is for the 21st century.

XXX was utter ****e, don't sully the good name of bond by even compairing them.

I thought it was a crap movie as did the two people I went to see it with. You don't go to an action movie expecting to see a plot but there were so many gaping holes in this one it was a joke.

As to the stunts some of them were impressive and it looked like yer man did a few of them himself. But when someone is driving along a flat bit of ground on a bike and suddenly jumped 10 feet into the are and slips thru bard wire 2 feet apart or out paces an avalanche on a fecking snowboard you can enjoy the stunt because its just stupid.

Personally I didn't enjoy this movie and I'd suggest you wait till RTE are showing it for x-mas in a few years time and not waste your money now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

it was crap... but it was mildly entertaining crap and made for a half-decent night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

The film wasent that bad, it was an entertaining yarn with some impressive special effects and stunts. Nothing more, nothing less.

I did think that Van Diesel's acting was rather poor, afair he was better in The Fast and the Furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Vin Diesel cannot kiss and that was Asia Argento he was wrapping himself around!

Bard..i told ya that you would just be drawn to see it.nana :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Haven't seen this movie yet. But I intend to, it's not a work of art, it's meant to be a fun film. Take it for what it's meant to be. A FUN film.

Originally posted by TmB
    The "forget it 10 minutes after leaving the cinema" and "money well spent" comments aren't contradictory - they're complementary.
    Do you have money to burn or something?

Your comparison to 'going to the pub' proves my point exactly. If you go to the pub, and you've forgotten everything about what happened within ten minutes of leaving (ignoring any inebriation), leaving you feeling empty, and wanting more, that would be, in my books, a bad night out. This may not be a bad night out in your case, I still don't know if you have money to burn.

Now, imagine that the only thing you can remember from the entire night out is someone literally shouting slogans at you, patronising the bejesus out of you.. that would be far beyond a bad night out.

I am not asking for much - I'm just asking for something that isn't completely throwaway. People are describing xXx as an "action hero for the 21st century"... I'm wondering if the 21st century isn't only about empty, vacuous films whose only agenda is to create a 'new action star' (the press compaign promoting Vin Diesel's status as a 'new action star' is beyond ridiculous).

(quick question though - why couldn't he jump over anything without that thing blowing up? This even happened to wooden shacks, for no reason that I could see.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Just because something is 'throwaway' and utterly forgettable doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable at the time.

Not all movies are destined to go down in history as all time classics that we all will remember to infinity and beyond.

Some of them are designed as pure adrenaline-pumpers - gut-wrenching powerhouses that grab you by the eyeballs and thunder along at breakneck speed holding your attention without ever challenging your intellect. xXx is such a movie.

It won't win any Oscars. It won't be remembered in 10 years time as a great movie of 2002 ... what it WILL do is try it's best to entertain and excite you for a couple of hours. That's what it's all about.

Not all movies are the same. If you want something a bit more memorable with a bit more intelligence to it, go see Insomnia or Red Dragon. If you just want to be entertained by mindless action for a while, check your brain at the door and go see this.

Simple.

Originally posted by Bard
    Just because something is 'throwaway' and utterly forgettable doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable at the time.
    Haven't you been reading?
    Haven't you been paying attention?
    Re-read my posts, and re-read the bits where I say that, for me, it wasn't "enjoyable at the time". This has been my point from the very start. I have been saying that for me, watching this was like someone poking me in the eye for two hours, all the time shouting at me to BUY MORE PLAYSTATIONS.
    Some of them are designed as pure adrenaline-pumpers - gut-wrenching powerhouses that grab you by the eyeballs and thunder along at breakneck speed holding your attention without ever challenging your intellect. xXx is such a movie.
    Thank you, Captain Adjective. However, as I've been saying, not only does xXx not challenge your intellect, it actually crosses the line and starts insulting it. Loudly.
    Not all movies are the same. If you want something a bit more memorable with a bit more intelligence to it, go see Insomnia or Red Dragon.
    I thought Red Dragon was not much better than this, and Insomnia didn't 'click' with me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

.....I'll probably go and see it because I think Vin Diesel deserves boosting, but I HATE the premise of the film:

"An extreme sports secret agent"

What a designed-by-comittee crapper. Poochie the Dog anyone?

The name's Poochie D
    And I rock the telly,
    I'm half Joe Camel
    And a third Fonzarelli.
    I'm the kung fu hippie
    From gangsta city,
    I'm a rappin' surfer,
    You the fool I pity

[Simpsons gag, for the uninitiated]:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I havent seen the movie so I cant comment on how good/bad it is, but from the trailer I saw it is one movie I would not go out of my way to see as it looks totaly crap. Maybe on TV or DVD.

Poochie.. LOL. :)

ObeyGiant.... what films have you seen recently that floated your boat? (Just out of curiousity). I loved Red Dragon and Insomnia too, BTW. :p

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Listen the film is pure rubbish if you must see a film wait on till Bond's new film comes out its quite soon next week or so??.There is no comparing xxx to the new Bond which looks great! - there were huge holes in the plot which made the film very hard to keep a handle on because you keept getting enraged about the tripe in the story which never fitted together.The action was OK but for the love of God everything they shot blew up in a spectacular fireball , that **** really annoyies me ( you know in the simpson's were the pram blows up because it was hit by a car :rolleyes: ).Poor story the bad guys were very unrealistic terrorists without a clue or cause!.In short dont waste your time on this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Eh....at what point was xXx ever advertised as a fine intellectually challenging film? It's eye-candy, it's obvious from watching <10 seconds of the trailer that it's not a serious film and if you're so stupid as to not realise this, then you shouldn't be allowed to possess €7 to spend in your local cinema!

If you thought the film was complete dirge, why didn't you walk out and ask for your money back?? You can do this in any cinema, it's not difficult.

I've seen xXx twice purely because it's a fun movie, I didn't go to see it to be challenged. If I want to see a better made/serious film i'll go to the IFC or watch film4.

Next you people will be trashing Lilo & Stitch because it doesn't stimulate you :-(

Originally posted by TmB
    ObeyGiant.... what films have you seen recently that floated your boat? (Just out of curiousity). I loved Red Dragon and Insomnia too, BTW. :p
    Recently?
    Signs (although I seem to be in a minority here), Shaolin Soccer, and The Eye. Also, I'm really looking forward to 28 Days Later this friday.

I enjoyed signs (up until the crap ending, that is). Haven't seen the other two.

28 Days Later looks very good (and is getting good reviews too). Where did you see that its out on Friday? As far as I know, Halloween Resurrection, High Crimes, K19 and S1m0ne are out on Friday.

Changing Lanes is out on Friday week and is getting rave reviews. Can't wait for that one either......

- Dave.

Originally posted by eth0_
    Eh....at what point was xXx ever advertised as a fine intellectually challenging film? It's eye-candy...
    Ladies and gentlemen that are posting on the pro-xXx side of this thread, pay attention to what I am saying here, because it will save us all an awful lot of time and effort, we will be able to get off this redundant point, and perhaps even reach some sort of conclusion with this argument. I'll be repeating things I have already said, because seem to be overlooked in your hurry to find the "post reply" button.

Are you paying attention? Good, then I'll begin.

I don't think anyone was expecting much from this film. I can safely say that noone walked into this film expecting to be intellectually challenged. Everyone that has berated xXx has said that they were expecting nothing more than the three Gs of action movies: Guns, Girls and Gexplosions. This is not what most of these people have a problem with, and if you read their actual posts, you will see this.

Personally speaking, I did leave my brain at the door. I got comfy in my seat, constructed a bad-ass superstraw out of three straws, so I wouldn't even have to move to take a drink, and got all ready for an action-film-by-numbers.

Instead, I almost choked on the amount of slogans and ridiculous MTV-sponsored opinions that the audience was being force-fed with. I felt like I was being talked-down to.. by Vin Diesel. Vin Fucking Diesel. I think ozpass hit the nail on the head, comparing the film to Poochy.

I love throwaway, lighthearted, over-the-top, high-octane action films (I think I just beat Bard's run of adjectives). My shelves are full of them. I can forgive them for occasionally losing themselves in the action - but when a film has absolutely no basis in reality (see: exploding everything), my natural instinct as someone who has evolved to the point that I can walk upright is to say "hold on - something is wrong". This does not make it a bad film. In the case of xXx, however, it prevented me from seeing this as little more than 2-hour, full-motion self-serving fashion shoot, whose only purpose was little more than to promote Vin Diesel, and get him a bigger salary for his next movie. This was less an action movie, and more a 2-hour advertisment for Sony and Vin Diesel.
    If you thought the film was complete dirge, why didn't you walk out and ask for your money back?? You can do this in any cinema, it's not difficult.
    This is patently untrue. I lived with someone who worked in a UCI, and she occasionally had to deal with customers demanding a refund from a film they sat through entirely. They used to drive her insane because they would give out to her, when it was simply UCI policy not to issue refunds for films that you have sat through entirely. I know a couple of people on here work in UCIs, can they confirm this?
    I've seen xXx twice purely because it's a fun movie, I didn't go to see it to be challenged. If I want to see a better made/serious film i'll go to the IFC or watch film4.
    So you can watch a good film, and turn it off after half an hour for 'being rubbish' and having 'OTT acting'?
    Besides this, you do not need to go to the other end of the spectrum for a "good" film.

Originally posted by TmB
    28 Days Later looks very good (and is getting good reviews too). Where did you see that its out on Friday? As far as I know, Halloween Resurrection, High Crimes, K19 and S1m0ne are out on Friday.
    I don't think it's out in most cinemas until friday week. However, Horrorthon are showing it this friday, and having a Q&A with Danny Boyle after the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Couldn't agree more.

In fact, I think Vin may have done himself a disservice by appearing in this film (from a credibility point of view).

IMHO Pitch Black was a much better vehicle for demonstrating his talents.

Actually, I haven't seem the film yet. Maybe I'd better shut up and watch it. :(

Originally posted by ObeyGiant

This is patently untrue. I lived with someone who worked in a UCI, and she occasionally had to deal with customers demanding a refund from a film they sat through entirely.

I never went into detail about the UCI's policy on refunds, i've gotten a refund there and in UGC for either not enjoying a film, or it being ruined by a group of rowdy teenagers in the back row.

So you can watch a good film, and turn it off after half an hour for 'being rubbish' and having 'OTT acting'?
    Besides this, you do not need to go to the other end of the spectrum for a "good" film.

No need to stalk me over the boards. I personally didn't like what I saw of 'Manhunter', that's my personal opinion. I didn't think 'Red Dragon' was the best in the Hannibal series, or that Ed Norton put in a great performance and you know i'm a big fan of his.
    And you're entitled to your opinion on xXx of course, I don't have any beef with your opinion on it, but I think you're getting a little too outraged over what is a relatively insignificant piece of cinema.

I never went into detail about the UCI's policy on refunds, i've gotten a refund there and in UGC for either not enjoying a film, or it being ruined by a group of rowdy teenagers in the back row.
    As I said, I have it on good, first-hand authority that official UCI policy is that you do not get refunds on movies you "didn't enjoy", but still sat through. I would still like someone from UCI to confirm this, since you are saying your experience is different.
    No need to stalk me over the boards.
    ?
    I remembered your comment from a thread I was actively participating in, figured it was relevant to something else you said here, and brought it up. This is... stalking?
    I personally didn't like what I saw of 'Manhunter', that's my personal opinion.
    Your opinion of Manhunter, since it is based on barely 30-odd minutes of the film (especially since the ending is one of the greatest ever filmed), doesn't hold much water. But this wasn't what I was getting at when I mentioned your comment about Manhunter.
    And you're entitled to your opinion on xXx of course, I don't have any beef with your opinion on it, but I think you're getting a little too outraged over what is a relatively insignificant piece of cinema.
    I'm not particularly outraged about this film. My initial post was pretty light-hearted. My posts since then have just been forceful and better structured than those from people in the pro-xXx camp. This does not mean I am in the least bit 'outraged'.

Or 'stalking'. Jesus.

We're now at the far reaches of being on-topic.

• Advertisement

I never said I had sat through the whole film and demanded a refund. In one case it was nearly the end and I was so sick of a crowd of knackers who wouldn't shut up that I walked out and demanded a refund, I don't care about anyone's policies, if my enjoyment of a film was being ruined by means within the cinema's control, i'm entitled to a refund. I *had* mentioned the rowdies to a security guard at an earlier stage but nothing had been done about it. Perhaps this made my demand for a refund a little more valid. That was in UCI. In a UGC I got my money back because I thought the film was rubbish, I had left before the half-way mark however.

Anyway, this thread is now even more off topic. Some liked xXx, some did not, end of story. No need to be 'forceful', as you say, about something so insignificant as a film.

Advertisement