Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish not interested in broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Lara - I was just curious - the more friends we have the better! :) - It's all happy families!

One has to beware of the evil troll etc etc....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wonder how many people would have said "yes I want a fax" before they reached critical mass of ownership.

I wonder why they only asked Joe-in-the-streets and not businesses too.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Our own suvery said about 70% of peeps would be interested in Broadband depending on its price and a further 20% said they would be interested in broadband regardless of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by DeVore
    I wonder how many people would have said "yes I want a fax" before they reached critical mass of ownership.
    Which is exactly why this type of survey is meaningless and misleading.

30 years ago I said I wouldn't been bothered with colour television.

10 years ago, I said I would never bother with the Internet.

5 years ago, I said I would never get a mobile phone.

Of course, in all cases I had never experienced them - the days when I was a 'late adapter', finally copped on and became an early one :)

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by Dangger
    Nua story

"A further 29 percent of adults in Ireland claim ‘high-speed’ is the most appealing benefit of broadband, while 18 percent of adults cited the ‘always on’ nature of the technology"

If 29 + 18% (47%) realise the benefits of broadband without being able to get it in their homes in 98% of cases, thanks to the best efforts of eircom/chorus/odtr/gov.ie and others, surely the heading to the Nua article is misleading in the extreme?

If you had the equivalent of mobile phone shops on every main street in Ireland trying to peddle DSL, and people could go in and have a play and see how brilliant broadband is, and if Nua stood outside these shops to interview people and found a majority of those who tried it claiming that they were "not interested" in broadband, they might have some basis in writing an article like this. This publication is obviously desparate for an audience and will try anything to get a few hits.

Sax0000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There are a few interesting things about the survey that Nua failed to mention.

For a start, from the residential survey, 73% of respondents had never heard of broadband, 12% had heard the term but knew nothing about it. That's a hefty 85% that didn't know what broadband is.

Both surveys are available from
    http://www.odtr.ie/docs/odtrmrbi.zip

(it's a zip file. Note to ODTR: Winzip isn't free. Then two powerpoint docs. Note to ODTR:...yeah, you've guessed it)

Pointless me poking holes in what either Nua or the ODTR had to say about the surveys - have fun and do it yourself. Besides, I have to learn c++ by Monday:D

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I imagine 90% of the people, when asked if they'd like broadband, said "Wha?"

5% out on your guess Adam.

Close enough in my classroom.

If someone doesn't know what it is, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise when some chirpy person on the phone asks them if they want it and they get an "erm, no thanks"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Interesting. But did anyone think that the reason for lack of interest / uptake in bb was becaouse most people have just come to know that anything to do with the internet becaouse of Eircon will cost them loads of €'s and that they are just so used to Eircon bleeding every last € out of us that they just dont want to know about it in the first place? I know many people that just dont want anything to do with Eircon good or bad becaouse of this. Not even to mention Eircon shares and the now Gov that we have. I have 2 so called High-Speed lines but would gladly give them up for 1 ADSL without even thinking about it. But not if Eircon were supplying it! If there was some way to get away from Eircon and not give them a cent I would do it. IMHO is that most people if given the chance to experience ADSL / BB at a low cost and they did not have to pay Eircon a cent for it (not even line rental) would demand it. For what its worth ISDN is not worth what I pay for it and i would not have it in the first place if ADSL was available from anyone else in my area.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by sceptre
    There are a few interesting things about the survey that Nua failed to mention.

For a start, from the residential survey, 73% of respondents had never heard of broadband, 12% had heard the term but knew nothing about it. That's a hefty 85% that didn't know what broadband is.

Both surveys are available from
    http://www.odtr.ie/docs/odtrmrbi.zip

(it's a zip file. Note to ODTR: Winzip isn't free. Then two powerpoint docs. Note to ODTR:...yeah, you've guessed it)

Pointless me poking holes in what either Nua or the ODTR had to say about the surveys - have fun and do it yourself. Besides, I have to learn c++ by Monday:D

I suppose that the ODTR figure given the high price and slow speed of internet connections in Ireland they have to zip relatively tiny files like this, and it is cheaper for people to go out and buy this software than pay eircom by the second!

sax0000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I want broadband

I do not want broadband for 106 euro per month when everyone else in Europe gets it for half that or less.

I have contacted Irish Broadband to see if I can get wireless broadband. Luckily I'm in their service area. If I'm lucky I will get an internet connection over 10 times faster than I have now at less than half the price; 40 eur p.m. compared to an eircom bill of over 120 eur p.m. for a very inferior service.

They need to come to my house and do a LOS test and if that works I'm signing up, it will be goodbye and good riddance eircom. So far, dealing with Irish Broadband is a pleasure - they want my business, again stark contrast to eircom.

I think the lack of interest in broadband is down to eircom, its not in their monopolistic interest to promote it. If eircom was the only baker in the country a loaf of bread would cost a tenner and you would only be able to get white sliced pan. And most people would have very little interest in bread :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sax0000
    I suppose that the ODTR figure given the high price and slow speed of internet connections in Ireland they have to zip relatively tiny files like this, and it is cheaper for people to go out and buy this software than pay eircom by the second!
    SME survey: PPT - 606K; PDF - 224K
    Residential: PPT - 741K; PDF - 218K
    Total: PPT - 1347K; PDF - 442K; zipped powerpoint files - 594K

You're giving them too much credit. It's just "lethargy", not "caring"

If anyone who doesn't have powerpoint wishes to read the presentations, please contact me for the PDFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

interesting about the .pdfs sceptre. I get about 3KB/s when downloading from home on my 56k (never connect faster than 36k). So here's a couple calculations if I were to download those files during business hours (4c per second):
    PDFs: 442KB / 3KB/s = 147.33s * €0.04/s = €5.89
    Zipped PPT: 594KB / 3KB/s = 198s * €0.04/s = €7.92

(difference: €2.03)

So, to read their survey would cost me almost €8. Maybe if I had broadband I would download that.:rolleyes:

Advertisement