Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reply From Eircom

Options
  • 07-10-2002 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I sent a letter to eircom bout em not intoducin flat rate etc.. and they actually replied although its a load of bull****e.

Dear Mr X,

Re: Flat Rate Internet Access

Your recent e-mail to the Chief Executive, Dr Philip Nolan, in relation to
    the above-mentioned has been passed to me for the purposes of replying
    thereto.

It is very difficult to develop a viable cost based model for flat rate
    Internet access. For this type of package costs are fluid but revenue is
    static which is not a commercially viable proposition. However we are always
    monitoring the market and market conditions in this regard

eircom net does however offer two highly competitive packages - eircom net
    subscription and eircom net free. If you require further information on
    either of these services you can contact our registration line on 1890 359
    259 or our sales line on 1800 203 204..

Customer Care responds to all customer correspondance on an individual
    basis. There is a fulltime customer services team handling all customer
    queries. All suggestions are passed onto the relelvent departments to ensure
    that we meet customer needs within the business.

Regarding the pricing of eircom i-stream: ADSL prices do vary from country
    to country depending on products offered, maturity of market, infrastructure
    and population density. eircom Ireland's retail product is subject to the
    same supply conditions from eircom Wholesale as any other licensed operator
    and the retail prices will reflect the significant costs of bringing these
    products to market.

eircom notes your further comments.

Kindest regards,
    Pheena Lonergan
    CEO Escalations Manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The mind boggles.
    eircom net does however offer two highly competitive packages
    Competitive in relation to what exactly?
    eircom Ireland's retail product is subject to the same supply conditions from eircom Wholesale as any other licensed operator

Jesus, do they actually read this stuff out loud to see how ridiclous it sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Out, out, demons of Stupidity ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Jesus, do they actually read this stuff out loud to see how ridiclous it sounds?

You'd have to presume that if they did read it before they sent it out... well, they wouldnt send it out. Dont think it really bothers em anymore though as most of the population of Ireland already know they are incompetant morons. After reading that letter it seems to me that our friend Pheena has a masters in bull****.
    It is very difficult to develop a viable cost based model for flat rate Internet access.

No it isnt, you just want to maintain your monopoly.
    For this type of package costs are fluid but revenue is
    static which is not a commercially viable proposition. However we are always monitoring the market and market conditions in this regard

*this section provided courtesy of Eircom mindless waffle department*
    eircom notes your further comments.

"Someone on work experience read your letter and gave us their understanding of it. Were far too busy scratching our asses to read all the hate mail we get on a daily basis"

Bah... Eircom... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nice one Kevin. Obviously it's the amusing reply I would have expected so I'm just going to ignore the content.

However, what in the name of all that's unholy is a
    CEO Escalations Manager

General assistant with responsibility for stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

does it matter how many other companies come in to this industry,
    eircom will always win through ,
    better they be bought out for tuppence
    instead of them playing this game of competitive packages
    islike mcdonalds
    cept we aint kids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Who exactly is eircom Ireland?

Are they part of the "Rubiks cube" type infrastructure eircom Limited, or Eircom.net, or Eircom.ie.

Just be glad you got a reply from some minion, who was told to reply as the other so called boss is to scared to be seen to commit himselfto anything in writing.

What a sad state of affairs. I hope most Eircom staff know about their redundancy entitlements?

good luck.

Yours,

paddy20 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by sceptre
    General assistant with responsibility for stairs?
    Must be as I'm sure they don't have competitive rates for "escalators".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

For this type of package costs are fluid but revenue is
    static which is not a commercially viable proposition

Do they employ people to think up catchy lines like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by Dustaz
    The mind boggles.

i nearly roffled

does eircom actually have a marketing department? because sometimes i wonder how a company can **** over a country and expect customer loyalty & investment in later years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by paddy20
    Who exactly is eircom Ireland?

Are they part of the "Rubiks cube" type infrastructure eircom Limited, or Eircom.net, or Eircom.ie.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but Eircom Ireland is Eircoms retail part ie, the part that sells services to Customers..
    Eircom wholesale supplies Eircom Retail (Ireland) with services, as well as other OLO's.
    In other words The two are separated for regulatory reasons,ie
    Eircom wholesale has to sell services at the same rate to other telcos as it sells services to Eircom Ireland.
    Eircomnet is the isp-it seals with the internet. It was part of a group called enterprises (like the goldenpages and others) but it was moved under retail very recently.

eircom.ie is eircoms web site...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

yes,
    but the new devopments area resembles the
    carlsberg complaints dept
    actually
    lets all stop moaning & go work for eircom
    its been ages since i sat on my arse & did nothing ,i might enjoy it.
    :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by kevinmcc
    CEO Escalations Manager

right....that means a person in a call centre who writes letters back to people who write complaints to the important people.

trust me, it happens in my job.

jd, Re; Who is eircom Ireland?..

Many thanks for your enlightenening reply.

Question FAO: kevinmcc "Thread Starter"?

What is the Name of the Company on the "Letterhead" of the reply letter you received ?

Yours,

paddy20.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Presumably the esculations manager takes care of anything that gets esculated all the way up to CEO level. He'll decide if its worth bothering the CEO about. So presumably also if you were working for Eircom and you tried to mail the CEO directly it would go through this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

It was sent from an @eircom.ie address. If you want i'll post the email address here so that everyone can start emailing them. I have 2 email addresses for them. 1 for Phil Nolans secretary and the other for Pheena Lonergan, CEO Escalations Manager.Theres a freephone number below Pheenas name that I never seen before maybe its their marketing dept. number.

Question to:-
    kevinmcc,

Are you now stating that they only replied by e-mail? and not by snail mail post? If this is the case, is their a proper signature at the bottom of the e-mail letter, by that I mean a handwritten type signature above the signatories name & title?

In case you are wondering why I am so interested. The reason is that for months I received countless e-mails letters from various Eircom departments some with titles some with letterheads, none with what I would regard as a courteous legally binding signature.

Until, I demanded a properly typed letter on a "REAL LETTERHEAD" and signed by the person named at the bottom, id I eventually receive what I wanted along with an apology?

Yours,

paddy20;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you want i'll post the email address here so that everyone can start emailing them.

I for one would like to request that you don't do that please Kevin. We're better than Eircom, we shouldn't stoop to their level - and believe me, they've sunk to that level, as I believe DeVore will confirm (carefully). If we need to get nasty in future, there are better and more ethical methods.

Just keep the pressure on. Write back and tell them they're wrong, tell them why they're wrong, tell them why you don't like them, why you don't want to deal with them, why you'd prefer to give your money to someone else. Keep doing it, and keep us informed.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

OK i'd like some suggestions on things to include when I reply to Eircom. Facts/figures/suggestions and then i'll send it on. So people can start posting on things to add to this email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

It is very difficult to develop a viable cost based model for flat rate
    Internet access. For this type of package costs are fluid but revenue is
    static which is not a commercially viable proposition. However we are always
    monitoring the market and market conditions in this regard
    How is revenue static unless you gain 0 customers?

Originally posted by Jorinn
    How is revenue static unless you gain 0 customers?
    :D Perhaps that's how the people in the i-Stream marketing department think. Keep costs low by attracting zero (or close to it) custom. You're thinking like an micro-economist (that's either a compliment or an insult - depends which way you take it:)).

Dr Pip's minion is referring to static revenues from the group of customers that will sign up, while the costs will increase or decrease depending how often they avail of a flat-rate service. Effectively, a customer will pay them a fixed amount for a variable amount of Internet access (which of course is the whole point)

So they're saying that the fear is that Johnny Bloggs will pay Eircom a fixed fee but they won't be able to work out in advance how much profit (as a percentage rather than as a figure) they'll be able to make from Johnny. I say "rather than as a figure" because even at the moment they can't work out how much money they will make from any customer as a monetary figure in advance.

I guess they've never seen an "all you can eat" pizza place:D (OK, these places don't generally make much (if any) money from me but they do from the people I bring with me)

They're ignoring the fact that Esat have effectively done their market research for them. Admittedly the market attitude may have changed a little but that's OK - UTV are doing their flat-rate market research for them at the moment.

Why do I say this? Esat had roughly 20,000 customers on NoLimits. Assume that's a sample group of the market for flat-rate Internet in Ireland. Esat's marketing has never been as all-pervading as Eircom's so I think it's fair to say that we can regard it as a sample. I'm not going to back up that statement heavily as I think we're all agreed here that the flat-rate market in Ireland is greater than 20,000 users. UTV and Esat certainly think so. If someone (anyone - especially if you work for a telco monopoly) does want to argue the toss I'll happily do so in another thread which we'll call "Soula Evans' replacement says there's no market for flat-rate in Ireland, Seamus Ryan says there is".

Esat found that they weren't making money on 2,000 of those customers, based on monitoring usage of the full 20,000 over the course of three months from the beginning of February 2001 to the end of April 2001.

Remember the cost per user to Esat was based on the interconnection rates they were getting from Eircom. The cost of connecting a user to the internet is less for Eircom than it is for Esat as they're not carrying the same interconnection costs/rates (officially they are as eircom.net pay the same interconnection rates as Esat but given that the transaction is effectively Tony O'Reilly and backers taking money out of their left pockets and putting it into their right pockets the official stance doesn't apply). We know this to be the case as Eircom Ltd are obviously not selling the cost of a phone call at cost.

Esat were making money on at least 18,000 users (or 90%) - we kinow this because these were the customers they didn't cut off (I'm ignoring the 1200 they reconnected for obvius reasons - they were making a loss on these 1200). The question is how mucjh money they were losing on these customers, though keep in mind that the only reason they were losing money on these customers was because they were paying the interconnection rate to Eircom.

UTV currently maintain (and I've no reason to disbelieve them) that even paying Eircom's current interconnection rates they can make money allowing up to 150 off-peak hours per user.

The marketing bods in Eircom know how many people can be expected to have seen the Esat and UTV adverts (every firm monitors the advertising of its competitors). From that, after making an allowance for customer inertia (mentioned below) they know what the percentage demand for flat-rate is in Ireland. They can use themselves as a control group in the experiment and make a verification of the data by looking at the UK.

Eircom would actually make more money per customer than UTV if they introduced a similar (as in "same number of hours") service in about two-three months, especially if they charged slightly more for the privilege. Most Irish consumers are quite lazy about their telecoms provider - they don't consider switching from Eircom even when the lower cost (of most calls - not just for the Internet) is staring them in the face (it's partly the fault of the OLOs - they don't make enough of an issue of "easy to switch - you don't need another phone line - we're not out to screw you - we just want to give you cheaper calls"). Most people just naturally assume they got their phone from Eircom and that's pretty much that. Eircom also have a marketing budget that none of the other operators have. If they introduced a flat(ish)-rate package offering 150 off-peak Internet hours for €35-40 before Christmas they would actually get quite a few customers more than UTV/Esat combined. Plus, getting back to the first sentence in this paragraph, most heavy Internet users in Ireland have probably already signed up with UTV or Esat (especially if the UTV TV adverts continue, plus the word of mouth recommendations). By Christmas Eircom would be left with a large number of lighter users (more profitable) who simply want one charge on ther phone bill for Internet access (I'm sure Eircom don't believe these people exist but they certainly do).

Eircom fear that if they themselves introduce such a package and it proves unprofitable they'll lose money twice. Firstly Eircom.net will lose money as they'll have to pay the (imaginery) interconnection rates to Eircom Ltd (or Ireland - whatever it's called). If that happens the group itself will lose money as they won't have another company like Esat to pick up the tab. In other words - as long as it's another operator introducing this service on a non-unbundled line, Eircom can't lose.

Obviously if the ODTR ever gets around to prioritising LLU and making a big deal of it (or if FRIACO gets organised) Eircom are going to take a big hit, having lost the flat-rate customer base. They're gambling that neither will arrive. Ever. Or at least not until they've squeezed the company and taken it public again or sold it on. Tony O'Reilly has made most of his money from exercising share options in Heinz and other companies - if he goes to form he'll be taking it public (ditto the banks and venture capitalists involved - look at their past record). Then it's someone else's problem. I think they can delay both for the required time if the government/ODTR/EU don't actually do something other than publish consultative papers and policy documents (note: this is a hint, Bertie/Etain/Mario)

At the moment many Irish consumers have little idea of how much they spend on Internet access. They access the net by and large through a local number that doesn't get an individual report on their bill. This has suited Eircom greatly - what people don't realise won't hurt the company. IMO partly shooting themselves in the foot, they're moving their own ISPs to a 1892 number, which (presumably) will be reported separately on the bill. If it is, it will be the first clear notion some people will have of how much money they're spending on the Net.

So Eircom have a choice - the same choice they've always had, with one difference. They can continue the way they always have, mopping up individual charges from heavy and light Internet users alike, from now on watching their heavier and most profitable customers move to UTV (making Eircom more money as well remember - but only the interconnection charges - UTV/Esat make the rest). Or they can introduce a competing package, especially for those who don't regard Eircom as an evil bloodsucking force (yes, I'm being slightly sarcastic) and don't think a dialup speed of 33.6 is too bad and milk those twice, both at the telco and ISP ends.

The trouble is that some people in Eircom really seem to believe that no-one would buy into the idea - and worse if they did, they'd find out how outdated their network is. There do seem to be plenty of people working in Eircom who either think that there's no demand or that their network couldn't cope if there was. Both are wrong, but if they do have to upgrade their network, they want the government to pay for it.

Eircom fundamentally aren't interested in home users. They make quite a bit of money from them but very little (relatively speaking) from any individual customer compared with what they make from their leased lines. When single billing is introduced, I'm sure it'll please Dr Pip no end just to be able to present a single massive bill to both Esat and UTV and let them wory about the costs of providing relatively costly monthly paper bills to 200,000+ individual home users.

So the issue is: can "all you can eat" places/products make money? IrelandOffline says they can and they do. So do I. Across Europe, "all you can surf" companies are making money every day. Esat will stay in the market and will make money if they don't screw up. UTV will make money here. I hope it will be at Eircom's expense. In the end it will be at Eircom's expense.

Rambling post/rant, sorry (it is late after all:))

• Advertisement

Had to split this from the last post (it seems rants are limited to 10000 characters)

There are very few arguments Eircom can put against flat-rate.

In no particular order[1] they are:
    • There's no market for such a product
    • There might be a market for it but the cost to us would be prohibitive - when we pass the cost on, there would be no market for it
    • There is a market for it but our network couldn't cope
    • We'll make less money if this evil product is introduced, we don't want to do it so up yours

We've heard the first three statements at one time or another. UTV and Esat are going to prove that the first two statements are false. We may have to prove the third statement false (but UTV/Esat will be helping). When the first three arguments are proven false, the only argument left will be the fourth one, which is pretty much indefensible.

So Pip Nolan is going to have to defend each of those statements in turn. In the end he'll lose, even if I have to twist the (metaphorical) knife myself

[1]The only other one is something like the "think of the children - the Internet is evil and you should really be using it less" argument (or something equally silly) but I don't think they're foolhardy enough to try that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Most people just naturally assume they got their phone from Eircom and that's pretty much that. Eircom also have a marketing budget that none of the other operators have. If they introduced a flat(ish)-rate package offering 150 off-peak Internet hours for €35-40 before Christmas they would actually get quite a few customers more than UTV/Esat combined. Plus, getting back to the first sentence in this paragraph, most heavy Internet users in Ireland have probably already signed up with UTV or Esat (especially if the UTV TV adverts continue, plus the word of mouth recommendations). By Christmas Eircom would be left with a large number of lighter users (more profitable) who simply want one charge on ther phone bill for Internet access (I'm sure Eircom don't believe these people exist but they certainly do).

I've got eyestrain after reading all that .:D

This is exactly what will happen I believe, people want less hassle in their lives and this would suit most people no end.....

And of course it suits Eirmonopoly no end, they have the "pick of the crop" - no heavy users, just light profitable users-

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ahhh rants are so satisfying :D

On that point of
    "Most people just naturally assume they got their phone from Eircom and that's pretty much that."

Were there not figures released recently (they may have been in those press cuttings I sent to Dangger) where they found that while 80-odd percent of SME's knew about CPS services, some ridiculous number, like 40%, of residential users, didn't. And some didn't even know there was another company than eircom? Even a minimum amount of marketing by UTV, Telewest, etc etc could raise their market awareness no end, and begin to chip away at eircom's monopoly. My parents recently switched (under their own steam too, I was very impressed) to someone who is giving them free minutes and lower call costs, and they're delighted, as my Dad runs his business from home. Irish consumers are quite loyal, but if they can save money on utility bills, they'll jump at the chance, especially in our current economic climate. Or are CPS providers not willing to spend money on advertising here?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

The cost of connecting a user to the internet is less for Eircom than it is for Esat as they're not carrying the same interconnection costs/rates
    How can we be sure about this. eircom leased international connectivity from BT years ago. The initial deals were over 20 years and were really expensive. As eircom was state-owned and international connectivity was needed the high premiums were paid. eircom are still paying for these leases and will do so until these 20 year leases expire. The bandwidth market now has changed totally with year-on-year leasing available and vastly reduced prices to that payed by eircom initially. The same applies to their national infrastructure which was expensive to roll-out and is still being paid for.
    Why should eircom be expected to pay top dollar for infrastructure and then be expected to lease it for nothing to OLO's???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Why should eircom be expected to pay top dollar for infrastructure and then be expected to lease it for nothing to OLO's???

The thing is, Ericom should not have signed a bloody 20 year contract for ANYTHING ... that was gross incompetence ... As for leasing infrastructure, surely they are only leasing infrastructure internal to Ireland, so why should they be charged for external stuff ... basically paying for Eircoms mistakes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

"It is very difficult to develop a viable cost based model for flat rate Internet access." - Eircom, October 2002

"Unmetered Internet access is entirely possible if you have a business model based in the real world." - British Telecom, August 2000

So two years after BT finally realized that unmetered, or "flat-rate" Internet access was a profitable offering, Eircom are still scratching their asses. Is Eircom implying that Ireland is an entirely fictional country, and therefore not part of the real world!? :mad:

Urban Weigl,

Magic?

Perfect quotes for banners or hoardings or t-shirts etc, etc.

The memorable campaign slogans have arrived. Even the dogs in the street will be farting with laughter at Eircoms ineptitude.

Should be used by IOFFL members at every opportunity?

Many thanks, you made my day/year!

Yours,

paddy20:D

Originally posted by thegills
    How can we be sure about this. eircom leased international connectivity from BT years ago. The initial deals were over 20 years and were really expensive. As eircom was state-owned and international connectivity was needed the high premiums were paid. eircom are still paying for these leases and will do so until these 20 year leases expire. The bandwidth market now has changed totally with year-on-year leasing available and vastly reduced prices to that payed by eircom initially. The same applies to their national infrastructure which was expensive to roll-out and is still being paid for.

May not have been too clear. What I was saying is that Eircom's revenue is higher per user as they're not splitting the revenue with another Irish telco. I was ignoring the internatinoal connectivity leasing charge as a sunk cost.

Given that all Irish "free" Internet offerings follow the Freeserve scheme:

With the UTV product, the revenue is effectively split between themselves, Nevada and Eircom

With the Esat product, the revenue is split between themselves and Eircom

With the Eircom product, all revenue is theirs.

I'm not complaining that all the revenue is theirs when people dial up to Eircom.net - I'm just saying that it is. Eircom are effectively making money three times (OK, they're making the money once but it's obviously much more profitable for them for a user to connect with their ISP than with another)

Eircom's costs in connecting an individual user over the international connections may be higher - short of one of us going through the accounts with a toothcomb we won't know. In this regard, the costs of internet conectivity for Eircom may be higher. With regard to the OLOs I deal with that below.

Well, you're right - they shouldn't have to.

However, they don't.

No-one (save a few die-hard Eircom haters) is suggesting that Eircom should turn over a users phone line to another company and make no money from it. What everyone is suggesting is that they should make a limited amount of money from it. A fair amount of money. Not charging Esat 50 euro a month to have access to my line but rather charging Esat a similar amount that Eircom currently charge me for line rental. This cost would then be directly passed on to me. The charges for line rental are already set and regulated by the ODTR (it's one of the few things, apart frmo the postal service, that they do make a reasonable stab at regulating). There's no reason that Eircom should be able to charge Esat more for my line than Eircom currently charge me.

With regard to Eircom's internationally leased infrastructure, it's a red herring as far as Esat and UTV are concerned. Esat are my phone provider. They're also my ISP. When I use the Internet, all international connections I make go through Esat's international links, not through Eircom's. Apart from the link to the exchange (which Esat are paying Eircom for in interconnection charges), Eircom's international cables could be cut and it wouldn't make any difference to either Esat or to me (or to any other Irish users using an OLO).

So Eircom certainly deserve to be compensated fairly for any of their resources any Irish users use when making voice or internet calls through an OLO. And they are.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

OK i'd like some suggestions on things to include when I reply to Eircom. Facts/figures/suggestions and then i'll send it on. So people can start posting on things to add to this email.
    For this type of package costs are fluid but revenue is static which is not a commercially viable proposition.

What exactly is the cost to Eircom, per second, of having a customer's phone connected to a number within their own network? In other words, what is the cost difference to Eircom, per second, between a phone that is on-hook and one which is connected to another phone?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    What exactly is the cost to Eircom, per second, of having a customer's phone connected to a number within their own network? In other words, what is the cost difference to Eircom, per second, between a phone that is on-hook and one which is connected to another phone?

Before I say "almost nothing" you really do have to keep in mind that Eircom have to pay to maintain the network from the money they receive from customers. It just isn't as simple as that. It would be unfair to say that it was. They're obviously paying for electricity in the exchanges, staff, equipment and lots of other things. These items don't come cheap and they don't come free. Even if your contract is with an OLO Eircom are the ones who have to maintain the local loop.

Now, having said that...

Almost nothing.

A phone uses between 6 and 12 volts (DC) at about 30mA when it's off the hook and being used (power comes in over the red wire). Using a cable of anything up to a few miles, two phones, a 300 ohm resistor and a 9V battery you can run your own intercom system. The ringing signal uses far more power (even without making the ringing noise) - it's a 90V AC wave @20Hz. That'e pretty much all the power being used between each user and the exchange or switch. That's a tiny amount of power (for the cost, work out how much 6-12V would cost at a bulk discounted rate and add on a small amount for the AC burst on ringing). The phone essentially uses no power when it's on-hook. That's why the AC burst is needed - essentially to wake it up.

Advertisement