Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teh Price o' teh Drink....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Does this thread hold the record for being the oldest one resurrected ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Northern Guy

6.50 euro for a small bottle of Corona in Temple Bar, and pints were 6.10e. Those are cheap prices, aren't they, lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

6.50 euro for a small bottle of Corona in Temple Bar, and pints were 6.10e. Those are cheap prices, aren't they, lol :)

Someone with some common sense , prices similar to 2002 :D

Monday March 09 2009

A PUB in Tralee, Co Kerry, claims to have the lowest prices in the country.

A pint of Guinness in Quirkies Bar in Tralee town centre is €3. A pint of lager will set you back €3.50, as will a pint of cider. And a quarter bottle of wine is €3.50 and a long-neck beer €3.00.

Tea, coffee and soft drinks cost just €1.50.

Proprietor Tom Quirke, a member of the Vintners' Federation of Ireland, claimed his bar was the cheapest in the country, but he's still making a small profit because he has cut out many of the frills, such as live music.

He said his trade was up between 30-40pc.

"I noticed the trade getting bad in October. I am making a smaller profit, but a little bit of something is better than a lot of nothing," he said. "Price really does matter."

A lot of older people had stopped dropping in for a pint, but were now back.

As for his fellow vintners -- they were probably not too happy about the fact, he conceded.

Survival

"It's about survival at the moment," he added.

He had noticed that people were going into supermarkets and buying cheap drink, or they were only coming out at the last minute before closing time.

Last week, the Competition Authority threatened to take the publicans' representative bodies, the Licensed Vintners' Association and the Vintners' Federation of Ireland, to court unless they abandoned a one-year price freeze announced last December across the State's 5,500 pubs.

The authority said the freeze would discourage publicans from cutting prices, but the vintners' bodies said they were not telling publicans what price to charge customers but were simply encouraging vintners not to increase prices. They are currently consulting with members on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Lawnkiller wrote: »
    I live in Waterford. Like Cloud - I'm not against the Euro. I think its a great idea - but what annoys me is price hiking for no reason.

Last year (around xmas) the price of a pint of beer in a niteclub I frequented was about £3.00 on a saturday nite. This was expensive.

With the introduction of the Euro the price on the same pint currently stands at around €4.50 ( about £3.55).

In the pubs (most of them) the price of a pint is anything from €3.75 - €3.85 before midnite. This works out at around the £3.00 mark which would have been deemed scandalous and reserved for the poshest dublin pubs and clubs (last year anyway).

This is just Waterford...It seems to be very expensive to go out in this city anyway lately..

Anyone else notice similar effects up and down the land?

5.25 in harveys after midnight for a pint of pish (bud) ,dunno how much a bottle is

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

6.50 euro for a small bottle of Corona in Temple Bar
    That is €11.19 per pint.

I heard the noggin inn in sallynoggin was doing 3 pints for €10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I paid €4.50 for a pint of Bulmers in a fairly normal (non-fancy) pub in Cork last night.

I seem to remember paying £2.00 for a pint of the same stuff back in my student days just before the introduction of the Euro which is €2.53 ...

That's some inflation since the early 00s!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

It is currently cheaper for 4 people to fly via ryanair to birmingham from dublin return and get 8 rounds of drinks in.

Was there last week for paddys.......one round of 8 x corona, one pint lager and lime plus one double gin and bitter lemon cost £18.20 (20euro). Would i even get change from a 50euro note here for that round?

10 rounds on paddys day saved us 300 euro:eek:

20 CIGGARETTES are equating to 6 euro also.........bought 200 ciggies with the last few sterling from tesco (20 euro+ saved).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

€4.50 for Bulmers. Thats good.

I paid €6.60 in The Vaults in Dublin :mad: Last pint they got out of me.

I was in leeds last month and got triple southern comfort, two bottles of smirnoff ice, two double vodkas & red bull and a pint of stella. £19 / €21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

good prices all the same but remember the shots in england are smaller there only 25ml compared to ireland which is 35.5ml

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

paconnors wrote: »
    good prices all the same but remember the shots in england are smaller there only 25ml compared to ireland which is 35.5ml

This is true pa, but even in the supposedly more expensive pubs in the uk you can double up a spirit for a pound..........double gin £1.90 and the baby mixer(schwepps bitter lemon) was free. This was a special offer but the double spirit for a £ extra runs 24/7 and has been for years now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement