Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must have and must avoid emulated games

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

The Chaos Engine was great, really atmospheric, tracked soundtrack (on the atari st version even!)... haven't played CE2 though.

The Bitmap Brothers really rocked, eh? :) I heard they wrote the game engine for that in C too.. but in the same article it claimed that writing it in C made it faster than it could be by writing it in 68000 assembler, so... nah.

Were they related to Bullfrog, Peter Molyneux's crowd? They're the guys that did err... Black and White, I think.
    Anyway :)

Just started listening to amiga music on Deliplayer recently... after all the time I had me Atari ST, I never realised how much better the amiga's graphics and sound stuff really was...

I mean, David Whittaker (weird dreams, millenium 2.0, archipelagos, wrath of the demon, etc etc) and Tim Follin, and whoever wrote Apidya, and the Turrican soundtracks :)

It's cool hearing amiga versions of soundtracks you first heard on the Atari ST's pissy 3-channel ym chip, when they're well done... :)

zynaps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

There's some classic tunes on the Amiga alright:D The list is endless! It's always strange comparing th Amiga and the St these days. Years ago you'd fight with mates over which was the better system and now with emulation you can silence your ST owning friend permenantly!!
    The bitmap brothers aren't related to Bullfrog or Peter Molyneux but like the above they are responsible for some of the best games ever realeased! Cadaver, Speedball 2 , Chaos Engine
    Take a look http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk
    It would seem they've got plans for a speedball 2 sequal:D
    and it's a good time to own a GBA *Cough* or know where to find roms *Cough* All there classics are available on the format... Gods, Speedball 2 etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Bullfrog: Syndicate

:D

I think it was on amiga, though i've only ever played the pc release myself. Still, one of the best games ever.

Yeah, played Syndicate on me cousin's psx, and it was jaysus great :P
    The kinda game you just get sucked into and end up spending hours/days playing straight :)
    Kinda similar to shadowrun on the snes...

Ah Jesus how cold i forget this one! Carrier Command...Excellent game:) I'm usin WinUAE to plat it but i've discovered it was ported to the C64 and it's not a bad version either only real difference is the 3d is changed to a top down 2d format.

zynaps the game you played on the playstation must have been syndicate wars the sequal to Syndicate. It was indeed an excellent game(but as good a the original :confused: ) The PC version is available at the-underdogs website but you'll need a little proggy to slow down your cpu otherwise the games too fast to play;)

• Advertisement

Ahh, right. I probably still have moslo from playing ultima 7 and such :)

Carrier command was on the atari st too... very addictive, if confusing as I was like.. 12 years old, and we never read the manual and it was a friend's atari st..

No Second Prize kinda reminded me of the control/ui, even though they weren't very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

no second prize now there one i havent heard of in years. damn good game and as far as i know the first fully polygonal bike racing game and by christ was it fast. was really intuitive driving with the mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Ah Jesus how cold i forget this one! Carrier Command...Excellent game:)

Carrier Command - how I loved that game. It was one of those I spent days playing. I have it now on one of the ST emulators and it is brilliant.

Speaking of music on the Amiga, has anybody ever heard music from some of the Atari 8-bit games (Zybex springs to mind)? Not the Atari consoles, but the 800XL and 130XE. The Pokey chip, I believe, was capable of creating some serious sounds for an 8-bit computer. Put in the hands of a good tunesmith, there were some great tunes created.

Originally posted by tom dunne
    Speaking of music on the Amiga, has anybody ever heard music from some of the Atari 8-bit games (Zybex springs to mind)? Not the Atari consoles, but the 800XL and 130XE. The Pokey chip, I believe, was capable of creating some serious sounds for an 8-bit computer. Put in the hands of a good tunesmith, there were some great tunes created.
    I'm familiar with the pokey chip and it had a fair few fuctions besides music eg. system timers and game pad input to name but a few. It was outclassed in my opinion by the C64's sound chip 6581(SID) (Sound Interface Device) which also controlled the 2 joyPorts. When you think about it people are still making music using the c64....weirdo's;)

When you think about it people are still making music using the c64....weirdo's;)

Yeah, some people back then did some absolutely amazing music for a chip with only 3 channels and stuff... like Sly Spy secret agent and Gauntlet III etc..

But you've gotta move on :) some of those people are now writing soundtracks for Playstation 2 games and such, not hanging around on older machines :P

zynaps

• Advertisement

Someone posted this address recently http://c64.org/radio/
    It plays loads of classic c64remix. http://www.c64audio.com/ is another site with good links. Downloaded the tune from wizball recently, classic stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Here's some grabs i made using WinUAE
    cepic1.jpg

cepic2.jpg

cepic3.jpg

mmmmm, some hot menu action

Why not download the game yourself then? If you've actually played the first game it wouldn't take a huge stretch of your imagination to picture the sequel. Chaos Engine 1 + brighter colours = Choas Engine2 :) (See screen shots)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

MegaloMania on the Amiga (works on Amigainabox). I loved that game! This God game has great soundbites: "Ze design is ready!.... We have advanced a tech level!"

Amigainabox is got here: http://aiab.emuunlim.com/

Since giving AIAB another look I've downloaded even more gems for the Amiga:)

1.Walker (Get this Game)
    2.North&South (How did I forget this game was so good?)
    3.SWIV
    4.Rodland (I think the arcade version could be emulated by RAINE)
    5.JamesPond2
    6.The Lost Vikings
    7.Blood Money (Nice shooter)
    8.Wings of Fury
    9.Slam Tilt (Better then Pinball Fantasies )
    10. Chuck Rock (Anyone remember playing this? :) )

Games I wish i hadn't bothered downloading tonight....
    1.Seek & Destroy
    2.Test Drive :eek:
    3.The Spy Who Loved Me (possibly the worst James bond game ever?)
    4.Xenon (Some games aren't as good as you remember)
    5.Buba&Stixs (Goes to show that Core could release sh1t platform games as well)
    6.Lost Patrol (HMMmm....)

SWIV was good... my old atari st pirate version crashed after playing for 20 minutes or so into the game though.. twice :P

I found north and south to be annoying but strangely addictive... the fight scenes were really easy, so.. :)

Xenon was just too bloody hard to bother with, when I had other, sexier games like no second prize and fatemaster (PD game done in STOS Basic I think... surprisingly good rpg!)

yea xenon wasnt a patch on the sequal.
    STOS, i still have that and all the manuals.

Originally posted by zynaps
    SWIV was good... my old atari st pirate version crashed after playing for 20 minutes or so into the game though.. twice :P

I found north and south to be annoying but strangely addictive... the fight scenes were really easy, so.. :)

Xenon was just too bloody hard to bother with, when I had other, sexier games like no second prize and fatemaster (PD game done in STOS Basic I think... surprisingly good rpg!)

I must need more practice with N&S cause the computer is whooping the **** out of my armies everytime!:)
    Anyone played THE KILLING GAMESHOW?

1.Walker (Get this Game)
    2.North&South (How did I forget this game was so good?)
    3.SWIV
    4.Rodland (I think the arcade version could be emulated by RAINE)
    5.JamesPond2
    6.The Lost Vikings
    7.Blood Money (Nice shooter)

Yeah... SWIV was an excellent shoot 'em up. I liked the that the game was really one big vertical scrolling level with plenty of big bosses along the way. The sound was awesome too. Explosions too. I liked the way you could control a buggy and mark the corn fields (little touches like that).

I haven't tried Walker. What is that about? I think I remember Palace Software releasing a game with that name? I had great respect for Palace software on the C64 (They made good games like Cauldron I & II). Actually I don't remember many Palace software titles on the Amiga now that I think of it.

Blood Money was excellent. Thanks for reminding me about that. I remember the sound track - even today the music is a kicker.

The Lost Vikings, I think I saw this converted to the PC but what was the story behind this one? Bet it was a very long tale. :)

I haven't tried the Killing Game Show. I vaguely remember reading the review when it first came out. October 1990? It looked like a 2D platform game with a storyline like "The Running Man". I think I the level had a time limit where water would slowly flood the level whilst you fought off aliens.

• Advertisement

Sounds kinda like Flood, on the ST.
    That was pretty depressing...

Actually, there was an incredibly addictive freeware platformer released on an ST Format coverdisk where you had to run around this sinking ship and get to water pumps so you could try to stem the flow of water before it engulfed the ship, while patching holes in pipes that appeared...

I'd like to get a hold of that one again :)

Ive got a demo of the killing gameshow on a cover disk from st user from 1991. there is also a spectrum zx81 emulator on it. with is my first experience of emulation. reminds me of the 286 expansion cards you could get for the st to allow the use of dos software.

While we are this topic, does anybody remember or come across Vistapro (or any of its variants) on the Amiga sites? This was a cool landscape rendering tool using fractals. I remember I got the Vistapro basic on Amiga Format mag (issue 27 I think) and a scene took 45 mins to render (that's full effects - gourand shading, smoothing etc etc). Along comes the PC - the same scene - 2 mins (and that was a 486 DX2 8Mhz at the time). Along comes Vista Pro 3... even cooler... a whiz on the new early Pentiums.. I'd love to try on Amiga if it's around somwhere... Might give "back to roots" a look.

Ok, not quite a game but was a cool utility to have. This really tested high end Amigas! ...even the ones with accelerator cards hanging out of them :)

Yeah, I used to amaze at GFA-raytrace and fractal generators and the other slower raytracers I had on my 16-bit Atari ST...

Leaving the machine on for 9 hours or so sometimes while it calculated scanline after scanline made it seem so technically advanced somehow... except when the programs bombed out, wasting 9 hours of computer time ;)

But then, it's all the more amazing to see how far we've progressed not just in terms of hardware, but sneaky coding methods and general maths wizardry and such...

Having gotten this new pc a few weeks ago now, I'm still amazed playing Giants - Citizen Kabuto, the game that came with it.
    You can just zoom in and look at birds flying around a hovel or bridge or something, really far away, in real time, at nigh on real quality.
    And things like having guards follow your footprints in the snow in Metal Gear Solid and being able to tell who entered the room from outside last because their breath is condensing more than the others... (ramble ramble)

Sorry, just had to stand back in awe of not only the past, but the present :)

zynaps

*zoom*
    "What? What is it?!"
    *zoom*
    "Snake! Don't look at me like that!"

heh...

Advertisement