Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out & About

Options
  • 19-08-2002 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to Galway with some friends in a few weeks. Staying in some hostel called Sleepzone (any opinions?) for a weekend. Been there a couple of times before but we always end up going to the same place - GPO :) Basically, some variation would be nice. Any suggestions other than Cuba & Church Lane?

Also, eating out. McDonalds has served as our sanctuary in the past, any suggestions on where to go for a nice meal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...afraid I'm not much help with nightclubs (practically deaf -> not fun places for me). However, I'm pretty good on Galway's eateries - what have you in mind? (Type/price range/number of people?)

Price range is important as inexpensive stuff causes the list to shrink somewhat ;)

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Well, money will be tight enough, but a nice €20 meal on our final night would be in order. I know €20 is really cheap :) The last time we were there, we went to a lovely oriental restaurant located across the road from a Supermac's outlet. I think this was in the area of Lynch's Castle... not sure though.

Other than that, are there any good pizza places, takes away's etc. Something other than Mickey D's or Supermac's ;)

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

try pming ropedrink - he will let you in on every one of your needs ;)

if you email me kev ill give you his number :)

reD.

...Lynch's Castle is sort-of half-way between two Supermacs branches - one on Eyre Square, and the other on Cross St. - I'd wager you were near the Cross St. Branch, which would put the Chinese as been the China Inn (aka Kam Chin's Bistro) across the road. Nice - they do a lovely Chicken Foo Yung ;)

Actually, that side of town is where you'll get a few nice, and relatively inexpensive spots...

...if you want Diner-style food that's a bit better than what Eddie Rocket's and the like throw out, try Scotty's on Middle St. (it's only about 70m from that Chinese place - if you stand outside the Chinese, facing Supermacs, turn left, take the second left and it's 10m ahead of you on the left). Try one of their hot 12" subs (E7.something) with all the trimmings!

Alternatively, two (relatively) inexpensive places to go for Italian stuff are Buon Appetito (that's on Abbeygate St, about 20m from Lynches Castle (which is, in fact, the AIB branch on Shop St, the main "pedestrian thoroughfare"), and Fat Freddy's - on Quay St, which is your second right instead of your second left when turning right coming out of the Chinese. Good, not too dear, but portions a little small for my liking. Also, can't forget Monroe's Tavern on Dominic St. for a pizza (small pizza place built into a pub - what a combination! :) )

Let's see what else - Kashmir (maroon building, between the GPO and the Town Hall Theatre on Francis St) do an all-you-can-eat buffet Indian lunch for E9.90, and it's beautiful. The variety isn't wonderful (rice, two meat curries, three veg dishes, poppadoms and salady bits plus a creamed-rice-with-pistachio dessert), but what's there is great. (Not cheap for dinner, mind).

Kebabs - well, it's hard to go wrong with the Charcoal Grill (for Turkish kebabs - there's also a more formal looking place on Dominic St. called Anatolia I haven't tried yet). From that Chinese again - keep going straight past the left turn mentioned above for Scotty's, and it's on your right - it's a take away, but good, and not too dear.

The only Tex/Mex place in town to speak of is Cactus Jack's (from Chinese - take the second right onto Quay St. and take the alleyway off to the left beside the Quays pub - it's on the end on the left. Haven't checked it out in a while so not sure about prices as I'm not convinced by their food, but I don't think they're extortionate.

No cheap Thai food - only place is the Thai Garden, and that's a 'proper' E30+ a head job. It's beautiful, and the menu's huge, but it may prove expensive.

Where else... Home Plate Organics is nice - that's on Mary St (ask for directions for Sally Long's pub - it's on that junction). Interesting range of stuff, plus a couple of useable veggie options.

Other options... MacDonagh's on Quay St (see directions above for Fat Freddy's - it's across the road from this place) do (I'm told - I don't eat fish) some pretty damn good Fish-N-Chips - they have an international reputation for it, apparently. You may like to try it. Actually, have a look up and down Quay St - most of it is mid-price restaurants and there aren't any "stay aways" I can think of.

Other possibilities include Milanos (a "Pizza Express" upmarket-type pizza chain - nice looking place, food is good too) across from Scotty's (see above), Couch Potatas (baked potatos with everything - on Abbeygate St., just down from Buon Appetito, between Lynch's Castle and The Home Plate/Sally Long's (see above)

Ah, feck it, there are loads of 'em there. You'll get a feed everywhere on that list (with the exception of the Thai Garden, and possibly Cactus Jack's) for E20 (and possibly have enough left for a pint!)

Galway's great for food - if you're willing to go a little over the odds in terms of price (compared to MacDonalds etc. anyway)

Also, be advised that Scotty's shut their doors to new customers at 8pm (as they're geared more toward a lunch menu), and I believe Buon Appetito close about the same time. Everywhere else will be open the usual hours.

Hope that helps, and enjoy your visit!
    Gadget
    (on behalf of Ireland West Tourism :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

If you want an alternative to the gpo try the club in the radisson hotel on saturday night, think it's called le Metro.The hotel is in the back of the train station, there are concessions left into pubs all over town and on the street it only cost's €5 with them. Get there early though.

Pub wise it really depends what your into. If you want a few pints before a club and don't care about music try the Front door or the hall in Buskers Brownes, both on cross street. Also the Living Room ( formerly the lisheen) just reopened and it's fairly nice, that's on bridge street just around the corner from cross street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

For a cheapish Thai/Asain food place try MaMa's on middle street. They do a range of Thai and orther asain dishes. Nothing special but cheap and chearful.

kayos

Originally posted by kayos
    For a cheapish Thai/Asain food place try MaMa's on middle street. They do a range of Thai and orther asain dishes. Nothing special but cheap and chearful.

kayos
    Hmm... personally, the two visits I've made to Mama's have been enough to turn me off the place completely. The service is abysmal, the food is less than great (and cold, sometimes, when it's meant to be hot) and the staff I had to deal with? Well, let's just say that I was seriously contemplating leaving them a head butt as a tip... It's cheap, but definitely not cheerful in my book.

For what it's worth...
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Jaysus man, I've lived in Galway for 22 years and your eaterie review puts me to shame. Some of those places I haven't even heard of, let alone tried.

Actually if I'm going for a proper meal in Galway, it's always Thai Garden, near Scuzzi (beside the Spanish Arch). But it's expensive, and when you ring up to make a reservation, and give them a time, they ask you "which year?". So book well in advance if you have a fairly large party in toe.

Ja know we should make a sticky at the top of each regonal board, with things to do/eat/visit while in the area. The locals can contribute to this, making it easy for people visiting the area to get up to speed quickly. Just a suggestion :)

;-phobos-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Eat in Kashmir. There's a second on near Monroes, opposite the fire station.

I heartily endorse this product or service.

Le Metro at The Radisson is very good on the weekends, Saturday is better than Friday. Try to pick up a concession in a pub, although last time I was there producing a student ID had the same effect.

Yeah, the Thai garden have two "sittings" - 7:30 and 9:00 - and if you are contemplating going there I'd suggest the 9:00 (unless you're planning the proverbial "feed of drink" ;)) as you won't feel you're being rushed. But either way, it's probably out of your suggested price range, Fidelis, so we won't worry too much about it.

Also, the buffet I mentioned in Kashmir is only in the one on Francis St. - not the one down by the fire station - the one down there has a set menu effort.

The one "food" topic we've neglected is the fry-after-the-hangover meal - anyone want to throw in some suggestions there? My few would be:

Drum (part of the GPO nightclub, just down from the actual GPO on Eglinton St.) do a good fry (if not remarkably cheap) with plenty of relaxed tunes as part of their Sunday morning "hangover service". A nice overall package, really... shame about the club itself ;)

Spud Murphy's and Monroe's Tavern (both on Dominic St) do a good lump of a fry, but they're a bit out of the way from Sleepzone (15 mins walk). However, (having just conferred on the subject to refresh my memory) Spud Murphy's "Full Monty" breakfast (E6.00, I think) is something to behold - and so is the price tag :D
    (They're both on the junction on Dominic St. where it crosses the canal)

Mocha Beans (a couple of doors down from the "Charcoal Grill" - see my previous post) do an interesting take on a fry, throwing in odd (but tasty) extras like tomato relish. Plus, you can be sure of good coffee (not that their name isn't a hint :p)

Any other suggestions, Galwegians?
    Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

SleepZone, eh!?

Those buggers never gave me the job I wanted... Waahhhhhh etc
    Used to go there all the time for the net access, but now the place by Town Hall is my new choice during breaks from work (College otherwise)

Seeing as everyone has given you a big fat list of things to consider, I'll just shut up now and think about how cool Saturday will be...

...Kewl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Everybody, thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Originally posted by Inspector Gadget
    ...Lynch's Castle is sort-of half-way between two Supermacs branches - one on Eyre Square, and the other on Cross St. - I'd wager you were near the Cross St. Branch, which would put the Chinese as been the China Inn (aka Kam Chin's Bistro) across the road. Nice - they do a lovely Chicken Foo Yung ;)

Ta, 'tis my dad's place :)

[pimpage]I have to say of all the chinese i've eaten (US, Dublin,Limerick,Cork , UK , France , HK , Austria)
    My dad's cooking kicks ass[/pimpage]

*runs off to order a Satay Beef*

no discounts...tbh

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by phobos
    Ja know we should make a sticky at the top of each regonal board, with things to do/eat/visit while in the area. The locals can contribute to this, making it easy for people visiting the area to get up to speed quickly. Just a suggestion :)

;-phobos-)

Cloud has a page somewhere with a few reviews of galway places.

Maybe contribute some reviews?

Fat Freddies is teh nyom

Advertisement