Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new Game from the US Army

Options
  • 19-07-2002 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭

anybody played the new game from the US army.I downlaoded it on the college network and i cant get by the first training mission.

Its looks a good game. This release is only part of the game and the rest is due out later this year.

The offical games site is http://www.americasarmy.com

Check it otu. Its a good 200MB downlaod. Not for 56k modems connections like me. But i love a college network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Myself Jag and Dark-Angel(That name is g4y) went to a dnc lan recently to try it out. We completed the training and then began looking for servers online. You have to use Gamespy arcade to do it which is a bit of a pain but you get used to it. One major problem was the lack of European servers. As it's an american game they are almost all based in america giving us a 200+ ping on dNC's 1 meg line during the lan. This was annoying though even with the high ish ping the game was absolute eye candy. Then when we did find an english server we played the bridge map and it was EXCELLENT. The Animations from the models are flawless. The crouched walk looks completely professional and the reload and jam fix animations are great too. The action is great fun when in full swing. The effects are brilliant as are the graphics. I think for realism this is the best game going. Compared to CS I think it is generally better. Hardcore CS players will probably disagree because they are so fixed to CS but those who would give AA the time of day will see the greener grass. Time to move on boys is what I'd say to them.

The finished article will be definitely better as they haven't released all the addons yet. But at the moment you can play a load of training missions online which are basically maps with objectives etc. Great fun to play! Night missions assault missions etc. The first addon is out on the 25 July and it's gonna be the Sniper School Addon. Only those who qualify marksmanship training in the first training mission with 37 or more hit targets out of 40 will be allowed attempt sniper school. Then they will get to train with the M24 and the M82 Barret Sniper rifles. On completing training they will be qualified snipers and will be allowed choose sniper rifles on public servers. By the way if you have hit 37 or more already or are about to try after reading this post know the following, once the sniper school addon is released everyone will have to do the marksmanship training all over again and qualify with 36/7 or more out of 40 because of some cheating or some bug apparently. So everyone will have to re-take the test to make the sniper grade. I myself have only reached 36 before reading that so I've given up until the addon comes out. It really is a hard thing to do which is good because it means that you really have to earn your Sniper Rifle :)

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i'd love to play it but its just too damn big for me to download.

i wonder if the irish army will do something similiar to try and get better applicants. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

World exclusive. Irish army's new recruiting drive uses methods employed by the us military. employing a crack team of computer programmers, artists and with close support from high ranking irish army officials, the irish army has spent millions developing the most realistic depiction of war to ever grace a computer system. "Our aim is to give people an insight into every facet of the military, from combat to logisicial excersises. By doing this we hope to increase the professionalisim of our armed forces by recruiting people who know what is expected of them and know the procedures and methods employed by us." said an irish army spokesperson.

Screenshot
    screen.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Well....were not at war. But the U.S. army need to recute more poor souls to fight it "war on terror" so it releases this brainwashware. You get kicked off the servers for to much frendly fire!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

wow see that ira guy hiding behind the columbian in that picture?
    how true to life is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

in other news:

20020605l.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PyjamaMan

its a pretty good game to play online, once you get past the online test (MOUT McKenna), most lag problems are fixed now with the release of some patch that u can get at their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PyjamaMan

i want that dman resistance game !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

myself and SearrarD and another guy were playing a lan game.. .it seems to be good so far... need a good few ppl to get a good game going though....

• Advertisement

Resistance = teh victorious

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    World exclusive. Irish army's new recruiting drive uses methods employed by the us military.....

Can you mute the sound?

touché

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

In a nutshell, I think this game is gonna own once all the mods are out for it.

Heads up: This game isn't for the weakhearted (i.e: point and shoot HL players), it's really for those people to enjoy the effects of realistic games such as Operation Flashpoint.. However, when it comes to realism, nothing compares to America's Army. At the moment it is a pain to play online, but hopefully in a month or so it should be ironed out. :)

-Dark-Angel-

Ryan McAllister: 'g4y' heaven since 1911.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I whole heartedly do not endorse this product and/or service.

Recruitment propeganda is wrong. Even if it is not targeted at you.

*I do not care if it is a good game or not. Perhaps I should start a new thread about this

When's "Village Napalm Basic Training V1.0" coming out?

After "Advanced Collateral Damage and Friendly Fire Training"

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

I whole heartedly do not endorse this product and/or service. Recruitment propeganda is wrong. Even if it is not targeted at you.
    i whole heartedly agree!
    this is very wrong. no-one say "its just a game". its designed to prepare american youth for a career in the army. i hope some big media thingy kills it, like the one that removed all the swastikas from DOD.

i've saw it being played at a lan and it looks slow and boring
    (for those who choose to ignore the nasty evil it represents and play it anyway)

Delta Force, Op Flash, Ghost Recon, Rogue spear.......

I reckon this'll be another Spec Ops (shudders)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

The training is really rather annoying. Im not sure if i can be arsed doing it. Is it worth slogging through the training to play it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brp21

I've been playing the game for about 2-3weeks now (ie I got it as soon as I was able to get a download of it from somewhere). I have to say, it's a lot of fun. The level of realism is high enough that you really don't want to get shot, but not so high as to make the game no fun (ie if you have decent reactions you can get out of the line of fire before dying). It's not quake though, so expect to die a LOT before even managing to survive a round, let alone get in a rake of kills...

The online aspect does suck at the moment though - there are not enough servers and the ones that are there often kick you for no reason. Patience is the key. In particular, have enough patience to wait for a month or so until all these teething problems are ironed out.

Offline? You just have the training missions. One big problem with getting sniper qualification: the distant targets are a bugger. However... The randomisation algorithm for the targets doesn't seem to be sufficiently random. So.. If you play the qualification through completely once and then, at the end when it asks you if you want to continue, choose the option to replay, you'll get more targets at close range when you are doing the qualification from a shooting stance (ie, when you most want them to be close). Mind you, these are just personal observations - I'd love to know if anyone else can back them up as I'm one target short of sniper and it's driving me mad... Anyone got tips for aiming when in the standing position? I've come to the conclusion that for the most distant targets, slightly off center and to the right works best. which is kinda stupid since the recoil goes up and right....

As for the people complaining about propaganda, I have two comments:
    1. This project took money from the defence budget that would otherwise be used directly in combat or combat-augmenting roles (and yes, I would include "hiring more cooks to feed the troops" in the latter category)

2. Before getting all arsey about "American propaganda" and "recruiting the youth" perhaps you should remember that more than one European country has _compulsory_ military service. And a lot of the prospective European Union members have even more stringent requirements. Perhaps you should use your european citizenship to influence these decisions closer to home before worrying about the americans. Unless of course you are more heat than noise.....

SUMMARY: Have fun, it kicks ass. But wait for one or two more patches first. And remember, you are doing your pacifist duty by redirecting money from those imperialistic American pig-dogs!

/me says "fúck that" and goes back to Cannon Fodder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

If you don't have this game drop into dnc Temple Bar and we'll put it onto a CD for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Although it is like government funded projects to p1ss away as much as the taxpayers money as possible. I wonder if the Army are doing any kind of metrics on the games being played.

I also heard that you cannot play a "Terrorist" in the game. Both sides look like US Army to themselves and the others look like baddies.

Also I can see in the near future the headlines "Al-Queda train in online boot camp paid for by the US taxpayers". :rolleyes: Good supermarket journalism :)

TBH, the only motive of the game is to get people to join the army.

it would want to be bloody accurate.

Do they have any foreign weapons?
    AK-74s, RPGs, dragunovs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I myself have hit 36 targets and need that 1 more to make sniper. I use a combination of 2 methods to hit the targets. The first being the basic just looking through the sight on the gun and shooting at the target while compensating for your breathing. The other is quite handy also, you point unzoomed at your target then hit z to look through the sights at the target and before the breathing starts to affect your aim just hit fire and that should hit the target spot on. In response to the question weather or not there are AKs Dragunovs and RPKs Yes there are. The terrorists use them so you have to pick them up off their dead bodies. Then hit 1 and it cycles through primary weapons IE:M16 or AK etc. The AK is fully Automatic which is a good laugh when in the mood for some chaos! :P Sniper addon is out within the next few days. With this addon tho they have put in alot more than we had been led to believe. Read about it HERE . Can't wait!

*!*:I said it before but just incase you missed it EVERYONE will have to re-do marksmanship training to qualify for sniper school when it is released. You have been warned!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i wanted to become a Neculear Phyasist for Black Mesa, only to descover i was not very good at physics, hell i cant even spell it but i enjoyed Half life all the same. And i like americas army and i dont care if its a recruitment drive for the us and its nice to get a free game for a change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

is it worth downloading? i've got a fairly fast connection in work, but i don't want to get in trouble (again) for eating up the bandwidth

• Advertisement

well i bit the bullet and downloaded it last night. graphics are incredible absolutly jaw dropping. round hills, realistic trees and maps that seem to go on forever. this new unreal engine is something else. but it comes at a price 1ghz and a geforce2 not an mx one to run it smoothly. its inredibly realistic, look through the iron sights on the m16 and it moves in time with your breathing, the m249 is impossible to control the recoil is huge. but there are some slip-ups. try to go prone near an obstacle and nothing happens. then the interface. it will only run @ 800x600 thats not really a problem but every time you finish a mission and got back to the menu then start a new mission it resets the in game resolution back to 800x600, and for someone who barely scratches 10fps at the lower res of 640x480 this is annoying. the game its self could be fun if it was playable on my machine but its not so i dont like it. and then there is this load of us army bullshít propaganda every time yotu start a mission. no mr bush i dont care for you war mongering and insidious recruitment tactics for your military. if your a gun nut from the deep south of the us then this is you chance to get those international terrorists/opposition to us foreign interests without leaving your home. probaly better because if your were off in iraq shooting arabs then you wouldnt be able to spy on you friends and neighbors as part of the T.I.P.S program.

Advertisement