Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite rts games ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Shogun, for single player, such bastid and then stupid AI, a joy to play against the computer

Homeworld, for the best missions

Red Alert 1, for multi player, the sheer volume of tactical moves and tricks, even better with the add-on packs, as like all C&C games the single player missions are just puzzles...(there is a Knack to it)

I found AOE too much resource management, and the fact you could win by not leaving your base...(feckin wonders)

TA....it was great, i think the upgrade system was a bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by kaids
    bastards, cant find my TA cd :(
    See if you can find the Commander's Pack,
    TA + Core Contingency + Battle Tactics + huge strategy guide and it cost me £19.99 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Anyone who likes Total Annihilation clearly smells like a pair of socks worn for four days in a row by someone who spends all their time hiking through a marsh in mid-summer, then left to mature for a further month still damp beneath their bed and finally washed in a toilet someone forgot to flush. :p

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Whats Total Annihilation ? :confused:
    Never played it.
    Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

No.

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

yeah ok relax its just a computer game, needless to say a brilliant one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

hrm in no real order:
    HWC
    AoE RoR
    AoE 2
    C&C Red Alert Retaliation
    ST Armada 2 (Tactical fusion cube aaaaaaahhhhhhh /me drulles on self)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

1: Tib Sun. (dont know why peeps knocked it. I loved it. played if for over a year online before moving on to UT. STill play it now and then.

2: Red Alert 1. (had a load of all nighters vs mates on the ps1. couple beers and C&C. what more could u want :P )

3: AOE2.

4: C&C

5: Warcraft3

I didnt like RA2 as much as TS. No idea why tbh. I found it a huge let down tho it was great fun. Dont get me wrong there. But online it was just not as good as TS had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

1) Homeworld - full 3d combat environment kicks my a$$

2) warlords - classic turn based adventure

3) emperor of the fading sun - less classic turn based goodness

4) Mechcommander - hey im a mechwarrior at heart

5) dune - great mixed rts/adventure game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Em Jag, RTS = Real Time Strategy, i.e. not Turn Based m'kay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by m1ke
    Post up your favorite rts games lads ... here are mine

1. C&C
    2. Total Annihilation
    3. AOE2
    4. C&C Red Alert
    5. Starcraft

I never really liked Starcraft so I was put off Warcraft too - but i'm literally being lynched into buying Warcraft 3 by the other lads in my clan. So what are peoples opinions - is WC3 just another Starcraft clone or is it worth the buy ?

In no particular order I would say:

1 C&C: Tiberian Dawn
    The first proper RTS I ever played, and what an introduction. Good plot, great units (the obilisk of light *drool*), nice number of viable tactics, and one of the greatest ever game characters in Kane... :)

2 Sudden Strike
    Frankly, this is my personal favorite. You'll either love or hate this WW2 RTS, but for me, the sheer maturity/depth of the strategy available to the player was great. For me, it makes Warcraft look like toy soldiers in a sandbox.

3 Battle Realms
    Fantastic plot, and great new ideas used in this game. You literally train units, instead of magically "building" them ala *craft or the C&C games, from your basic peasent units, making them become warriors using different academys. The "resources" are rice and water! :D

4 Homeworld
    For god's sake you get to command gigantic star-destroyer type capital ships, as well as hundreds of fighters in the vastness of space. The wow-factor of this game is awesome. Hard as nails, but epic.

5 Red Alert 2
    The environment is as camp as Christmas, but the energy and fun of the multiplayer aspect is fantasic. I love the game for it's tongue-in-cheek units and characters, plus the frenetic, exciting LAN games that can happen.

Top of the heap though would have to be Sudden Strike. The game made me realise what RTS should be about. Strategy and Tactics, and the realisation every unit counts, was taught to me upon playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i know that but there arent enough rts games that i like to put in there :)

anyone remember dark colony that was pretty good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

how the hell did i forget Mechcommander ...
    that would kick AOE2 off my list anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

1. C&C/C&C:RA/Tib Sun/RA2
    2. Hostile Waters
    3. Ground Control
    4. Total Annihilation
    5. Z2:Steel Soldiers
    6. Starcraft

and a few others.

Bought Dark Colony for a fiver.
    Burnt the disc 10 minutes after opening the box.
    I've an ad in a PCGamer I must scan up.
    The quotes are gas now looking abck on the game.
    The Sun/Mirror/Tabloid described it as a great action game. Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

AOE : TC is my favourite

it requires real skill to balance the economy and military aspects

the zone makes playing online great, where this games is best, against the computer is waste of time, the zone rated system is also good

roll on AoM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I can't stand AoE.
    I'm not a farmer.

Ground COntrol suits meh down to the ground

have to sit down and try Empire Earth soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

if you dont like farming, you could always forage the berries or on a water map, fish? but you have to farm a little, in TC the farms can be queued so you dont have to rebuild every time it runs out,

there is only ground and sea units in AoE to control, did you mean military units only? then why not try a scenario? they are good fun, you have unlimited resourses and cant rebuild buildings so you have to concentate fully on battles (no farming), try Germz Blood

EE is terrible, dont waste your time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you dont like farming you will hate EE, games last ages in it (usually about 12hours) and most of it is resource gathering.
    I found EE quite fun on LAN tho, the computer is too stupid tho, if you advance through the ages real quick you can build b12 nuclear bombers and airstrike the computers base before it even has anti air defence buildable.

Advertisement