Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources: Comic shops, webcomics, and useful links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Graphic novels mainly, but wouldn't mind browsing some back issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fans of the super webcomic Devils Panties might be interested in this fun flash game based on the strip

major spoilers for Transformers but this Vcat strip sums the movie up for me perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 -Kosh-

Just wanted to point out a few comics I haven't seen mentioned:

Cat and Girl - The author describes it as "A comic about a cat, a girl, and a meta-narrative". It's one of my favorites.
    Three Panel Soul - From the creators of Mac Hall
    Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - one-panel offensive fun!
    Li'l Formers - A weekly Transformers webcomic.
    Midnight Macabre - Another webcomic by the creator of Something Positive.

Finally, I'd like to plug my own webcomic if that's alright with everyone, The Life Effect. It started only recently and just now I'm getting around to frequent updates. But hey, it's a webcomic that takes place in Ireland, and there's not enough of those doing the rounds (I live here but I'm not Irish, mind).

couple of links for peeps:

Liz Greenfield, of Stuff sucks fame, has a new website for her new comics project.

And Riana Telgemeier, cartoonists of the babysitters club graphic novel and the fab webcomic Smile - has updated her website with a whole new look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭el_bandita

My comic (supposed to be funny) about two guys, Polish and Irish who are best friends.

http://www.bielewicz.com/zbeschekandseamus/

anyone know the name and or location of the comic book store in waterford?

saw this ages ago on scamp and meant to post a link over here. Irish cartoonist/illustrator Chris Judge and his brother give a step by step guide to how they created their latest comic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Silfar

Can't believe you are missing these (Webcomics)

www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
    www.vgcats.com
    www.dominic-deegan.com (awesome storylines)
    www.zapinspace.com

o no its happening I'm rec'ing something form Zuda lol but its easy to do as Bayou is head and shoulders above anything else on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Silfar wrote: »
    Can't believe you are missing these (Webcomics)

www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
    www.vgcats.com
    www.dominic-deegan.com (awesome storylines)
    www.zapinspace.com

In fairness, VG Cats & Ctrl-Alt-Del aren't exactly unheard-of. And it'd be pretty rubbish if the recommendations were only for comics everyone's already heard of.

Anyway, on the Zuda front, I had a quick look the other day and quite liked the look of High Moon. Although it feels slightly like something that was intended as a conventional comic and re-engineered into a webcomic. (But that couldn't possibly be the case, could it? :rolleyes:)

Fysh wrote: »
    In fairness, VG Cats & Ctrl-Alt-Del aren't exactly unheard-of. And it'd be pretty rubbish if the recommendations were only for comics everyone's already heard of.

was going to say the same thing - I know we've had links to both before [I linked to the VG Cats transformers movie strip]

How r u finding the Zuda veiwer thing? Couple of people told me it wasn't working for them but I've no issues with it [other then feeling its overly complicated] - wondering if its a Mac thing or just them checking it during a glich.

Had quick look at High Moon - looks interesting. There are a couple of good comics poping up on it thou I'm not liking the fishing for votes thats going on, makes me worried the better comics will get over looked.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The viewer seems OK on XP, I've seen a couple of comments about there being an "issue" with how the current version of Flash Player works on Macs which is apparently interfering with the viewer. I find that the default size of it is resizing the images down to a size that's about 1/3 smaller than the size I want to view it at, and I'd prefer an option that let me specify a size to be applied to all pages I view of a given comic.

I've been ignoring the voting side for the time being, to be honest. It's my biggest concern with Zuda, it's not like DC's titles don't already do fanservice - judging titles by votes just strikes me as something that will be exploited...but anyway.

On a related note, Battlefield Babysitter seems rather good - the first 8 strips serve as a nice setup for the whole series, but also work quite neatly by themselves.

thought I'd post this here as well:

dublincomicshops.gif

Red Forbidden planet
    Purple back issue place [someone give me a name]
    Green third place [entrance on crow street]
    Blue Sub City

Anyone want to do a map for limerick, cork etc etc Still trying to find the store in waterford, loads of people seem to know of it but not where it is or what its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

That place is called "story"

bombidol wrote: »
    That place is called "story"

which the purple blob or the store in waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm part of a collective called Transplant Comics, which hosts some really great alternative comics if anyone feels like checking it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Plurple

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Questionable Content
    A great little webcomic, updated monday through friday.
    It's a damn shame I'm up to date on it, I want to read some more, :(

Great interview with cartoonist Nick Bertozzi over at metabunker

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    I

Anyway, on the Zuda front, I had a quick look the other day and quite liked the look of High Moon. Although it feels slightly like something that was intended as a conventional comic and re-engineered into a webcomic. (But that couldn't possibly be the case, could it? :rolleyes:)

Hey High Moon was just annouced as the first winner over at Zuda.

Also does anyone know if the comic store in dun laoghaire is still there? someone asked me yesterday and I haven't been out in years so haven't a clue.

Hmmm. On the one hand it's a cool comic and I'm glad it did well, but on the other hand it feels like they had it planned as a miniseries or something and re-jigged it to be a webcomic so they could enter the whole Zuda thing. Which is fine, but goes against Zuda's professed "looking for new talent, not existing print talent" approach.

On a different note, Chris Judge has updated his site so you can now download an 11Mb PDF of the first 20 pages of Dystopia and the first issue of The Team. Well worth checking out.

E07.jpg

found the store in waterford - its called comix stop and its roughly were the purple circle is. If your coming into waterford over the bridge [ie from dublin/limerick road] you turn left and just go down straight and its on the right hand side.

Its a shop like Story in dublin - it doesn't order from diamond, so its all back issues. Declan who runs the shop is super nice and has a drawing table set up for himself in the shop and sells his own comic work and paintings in the shop as well. He also teaches a few kids classes in comic art. Had a good long chat to him and would have stayed alot longer cept I'd made plans to meet my cousin for food...stupid cousin

I can't remember if this has been linked already but figured it can't hurt to link again as its coming to xmas and people might be looking for a gift idea.

Stuart Ng books is a great online bookstore for artists sketch books. They vist the big two each year, SDCC and Angouleme, and stock up on all the con sketch books that alot of artists make up for different cons. Alot of these sketchbooks are selfpublished by the artists and are limited runs just for the con. Really worth having a look through the site.

I do suggest having a quick google online for the artists own site before ordering anything esp when it comes to the french books as I've found you can sometimes get them cheaper that way.

American Elf has just had a big overhaul and the big site news it that all the archives are now free!

Theres a niffty how to guide over at Girls with slingshots Step by step guide to how they put together a strip which is a nice mixture of hand drawn/inked work and computer shades and tones.

this comic book cover browser might be of some use to people looking for a comic or if like me, you want to feel old when you realise how far back you can go before you find covers you don't rec.

My friend Ryan sent out an email about his new book and I thought I'd pass on the love!

I'm writing to let you know about my new comic which is now available at lulu.com.
    The book is called The War in Heaven and is written by Will Kenton, illustrated by myself.
    The War in Heaven is an adaptation of Milton's Paradise Lost, featuring the battle for the city of God. Please check it out and order a copy if you are so inclined.

www.thewarinheavencomic.com
    www.lulu.com/thewarinheavencomic

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement