Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon High Speed - Is it worth it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭KILLER.BEE

for give me if i same bit informed but did some one on this board
    ask about the cost of ISDN ...you all say e37pm and nothing about
    the cost to install it the ISP cut in the cost at the time was 199 for 64k and 400 for 128k and i had to pay for the modem to

so thats 37pm+199install +199isp pre year (or 400 for128)+1cent per min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Originally posted by KILLER.BEE
    the cost to install it the ISP cut in the cost at the time was 199 for 64k and 400 for 128k and i had to pay for the modem to

Er I dotn know what it used to be but at the moment the cost is just Eur99 installation plus the cost of a terminal adapter. One of these can be had for Eur50.

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TitanFire

First, very interesting posts :)

Every time I've read the ISDN stuff or heard it, I've been anti them without hearing about it.

But... these posts really have made me think. I never thought it COULD make such a difference. Guess I was wrong.

Okie Dokie, I am I thinking of getting it now. I mainly use the net for gaming and some downloading (not much mind), and the bit of surfing. So... wondering if ye could help me out. I want to find out how much it will cost all in all.

At the moment, I'm on an Internal Trust 56k modem and find it a load of *$%^££$ for gaming... lag spikes make me want to throw the computer out the window!

I have two normal voice phone lines. Long story, but we had the second for something else, now only used for Net. My understanding is, if you want 128k, you need to connect on TWO lines? Does that mean both lines need upgrading, implying twice the installation costs? (I know, I know - lame question, but you only find out by asking!)

Next, when you do connect, say, 64k, you pay the same per min as connection through a modem at supposedly 56k?

Likewise, when you connect 128k you DO pay twice the charge per min? Makes sense I know..

What equipment all in all do you need and could ye give a run down on their costs!?

I'm in Sligo and DSL is looking grim :( Really, I dont think I need DSL, thus I'd be happy with the 64k connection. Would it be better to use one line and have the second there for "Those" times you need it? or is it better to get rid of second line and just stick to 64k?

Is 64k ISDN THAT big a difference than 56k for GAMING!? I'm in favour to think it does, that's why I'm considering getting it!!

Just to check, you can use phone when your using ISDN? Newbie question yes, and I think you can, I have read something on it! But I feel I should ask :) You know yourself ;)

Finally, what are the pings on gaming? and what is the monthly charge? Is it more when you have the 2 lines?

BIG BIG Thanks in advance, cos I know you're all going to be a great help ;) hehe ... flattery will get you everywhere, eh?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i'll try n answer some of your questions :

If you have 2 normal lines into your gaff, i'd get rid of them and go for ISDN personally. I think it's slightly cheaper, and A LOT BETTER for gaming.

when you connect at 64k you pay like a normal 56k modem call (depending on what service provider you use, some offer cheaper 1891 numbers that are like 44 cents n hour or something like that).

treminal adaptor (isdn modem is about 50 euros), installation about 99 euros, that's all you need for it.

ISDN is really good for gaming compared to modem, in Ireland it is simply the only viable gaming solution out there. The difference between ISDN and 56k is so massive. I've never lost a game of Quake to someone on a modem for example :)

you get 2 channels 64k channels on one ISDN line, you can use the phone and surf the net simultaneously or bind both channels together for 128kbit downloads average around 14.5kb/sec this means you'll be paying for 2 phone calls.

monthly charge is slightly less then 2 normal lines,

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by KILLER.BEE

I cost me £99 for the installation (already had a line) plus the cost of the modem (they are available at very low prices). I use UTV so there is no ISP cost.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TitanFire
    First, very interesting posts :)

I have two normal voice phone lines.

Next, when you do connect, say, 64k, you pay the same per min as connection through a modem at supposedly 56k?

Likewise, when you connect 128k you DO pay twice the charge per min? Makes sense I know..

Just to check, you can use phone when your using ISDN?
    Cheers.

(1) Get rid of one of your lines and have the remaining line upgraded to give you a Basic (ie two 64K channels plus D channel). You are charged for the upgrade.

The rental for the ISDN line is slightly less than the rental for two ordinary voice lines.

Think of the two channels as being equivalent to two telephone lines. If you make a 64K connection to the Internet the remaining 64K channel can be used for voice communications (incoming/outgoing phone calls). However, if you make a 128K connection then you are using the full capacity of your installation.

If you connect at 128K you are paying for two connections (equivalent to using two telephone lines).

I must admit that I prefer ISDN to ordinary POTS and would recommend it to you but as I have the option I intend to switch to ADSL fo Internet access.

Ah, thanks :)

So you think I should get rid of the second phone line, and have the original line upgraded to ISDN? That sounds cool.

Just to clarify, you say:

"The rental for the ISDN line is slightly less than the rental for two ordinary voice lines. "

When you say rental for ISDN line, how much is that? Does that include the normal line rental or is that now included in the ISDN rental charge?

Oh, yeah, some one posted that an Internal TA is better than Eircom's External one, yes? What model exactly would be best to buy and are they hard to install? Preferably, a model <€50. So long as it gives me a great 64k gaming ping and is cheaper and better than the one Eircom offer!

Thanks again, and apologies to sceptre for doubling the post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Oh, yeah, some one posted that an Internal TA is better than Eircom's External one, yes? What model exactly would be best to buy

asus internal isdn terminal adapter - £30

Ah, thanks :)

Just to clarify, you say:

"The rental for the ISDN line is slightly less than the rental for two ordinary voice lines. "

The fixed monthly charge for the two channel ISDN service is Euro 30.99 plus 21% VAT which is less than two analogue lines at Euro 16.20 (plus VAT) each per month. The only additional ongoing cost is the cost of usage.

asus internal isdn terminal adapter - £30

Are they easy to install yourself or do you need to get someone to do it? I mean, is it straightforward? Where might I get one?

Thanks again. I'm going to get ISDN now since DSL does look like it'll be years away :(

• Advertisement

Are they easy to install yourself or do you need to get someone to do it? I mean, is it straightforward? Where might I get one?

Thanks again. I'm going to get ISDN now since DSL does look like it'll be years away :(

did you ever open up your pc before?

its simple enough, open your pc, find a white/cream slot. There's usually around 4/5 in pc's nowadays. Put the TA into one of those slots, startup your machine and it should detect it. Then when it asks for drivers, use the one's on the CD that comes with the TA

Yeah mate, I have. I installed a new CDRW Drive myself and an Internal 56k modem on another PC. Thanks for the info :) If I can find out where I can get one, I might give it a shot!

Any ideas? Asus one is better than the eircom one? I thought that as a general rule, external were better than internal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

See this url for a discussion of the relative merits of the Asus TA and the Eicon Diva, both of which are recognised as the two best TA's going. Although different people have different preferences, I think everyone would be agreed that either of these two is far superior (and cheaper too) to the TA supplied by Eircon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54539

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive been using isdn at home for the last 2 years . my avg phone bill to the net is round €200 so ill be getting adsl whenever i can and it will be the 1 meg line one with no dl limit . i dl a huge ammount of stuff with it and also play loads of games .

been using the diva for the last 2 years and its proving to be very good

@ 64k i get dlspeeds of about 7.9
    @ 128 i get about 14.5

ping to radox at times goes to 29 - 50 steady esp at night after 12 for some reason . to english cs servers pings usualy about 70 - 130 i think its mutch better then a normal 56k would think of changing back .

I installed Internal 56k modem on another PC

There you go, its exactly the same as installing an internal 56k :D

Hehe, thanks. I'll see which is the cheaper and decide then. I've Win98 :( but I want the best ping and easiest set up!!

PS - I was just browsing Komplett.ie and I could get the Asus one for about €50 with postage and the Eicon for about €80 with postage. Any recommendations now? Obviously money is a factor but is there a big difference between them that makes the Eicon €30 more? I'm really interested in pings and no lag!

Hehe, thanks. I'll see which is the cheaper and decide then. I've Win98 :( but I want the best ping and easiest set up!!

PS - I was just browsing Komplett.ie and I could get the Asus one for about €50 with postage and the Eicon for about €80 with postage. Any recommendations now? Obviously money is a factor but is there a big difference between them that makes the Eicon €30 more? I'm really interested in pings and no lag!

jeez, your worse than my girl when she's shopping for clothes !!!! my advice is get the asus, its upto you. its the cheapest and best

*My Sig is too big!!*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

So if I just wanted to get the single line of ISDN say and not pay that extra 1.26c per minute. I could log onto one of those free ISDN ISPs and boost my current internet connection by 50% All you have to pay for is the ASUS modem.

Is that possible or am I talking out of my other mouth?

Advertisement