Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 WWII films/tv

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

venoix, who 's seen "Force 5 from Navarone" it was 10 and the movie was cheapo crap!

Top Five in no order

The Big Red One
    Where Eagles Dare
    McKenzies Break
    The Great escape
    The Hill
    and don't forget Esacpe to Victory er...:p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Oh my God,Np
    Here we go. WW2 alla'Grimes.
    1 Guns of navarone
    2 A bridge to Far
    3 Kelly's Heroes
    4 Das Boot
    5 u-571

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

U-571???

Next you'll tell us you enjoyed Pearl Harbour.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The Eagle has landed(book version)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Not a WW2 movie but Stanley Kubricks 1957 classic Paths of Glory about a court martial in the French Army is the best war movie ever made so I'm gonna mention it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Thing I didn't like about saving private ryan is the fact I went watch a war movie, I didn't get one. Sat through the whole film complaining about it....

I just looked at my post and if I was to put in a number six it would be The Desert Fox, coz Rommel was a dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Just cause it's an inaccurate,historically crap flick it does have a good scene with a German Destroyer - U571

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Keep on Trekin

The Guns of Navarone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

In no particular order, the WW2 that I'll watch againa and again..

There are spoilers here, but I'm assuming evryone has seen them.

Kelly's Heroes - Top class chessy goodness. Best scenes at the opening when you realise that it's an Americain jeep in the middle of a hoard of Germans, kicks into the credits. 2nd best, the tank battle.

A Bridge too Far - fantastic, possibly the best WW2 ever. the screenplay was written by William Goldman (Butch Cassidy, Princess Bride) who made two of the most memorable comments on it. 1) The croosing of the river in pontoon boats was historicly done twice, a second wave immediately after the first - however this was not filmed, as the producers felt that it would be too unbelievable! 2) Goldman was advised by one of the British officers who was in Arnhem, and originally was going to say the line about refusing the Germans surrender because the Brits didn''t have the facilities, however the officer demurred on the basis that he hadn't said it, his 2nd had, and that he'd be a laughing stock if his character said the line on scree. The point is - that line was said to the Hun at the time.

the Graet Escape - all atar cast, brialliant script, again based on real events. 2nd Best scene: Big X's talk with the commandant, because the best scene is of course Steve McQueen aka Virgil Hilts: The Cooler King on his motorbike. Also best theme tune ever

Cross of Iron - Very few German/russian war films made in english, so aren't we lucky that this is so good. Really quite a brutal depiction of war, and the politics of armies. Brilliant performances all round. The return to the lines at the end of the film would have to be my favourite part.

Hell in the Pacific - Lee Marvin and that Japanese guy trapped together on a pacific Island. Again long, in depth. Of all the above, I'm not giving anything away on this as some may not have seen in.

That's my top five, but wait here's some honourable metions (many of whom have been said befor)
    The Hill - Sean Connery, superd
    Bridge on the River Kwai
    Ice Cold in Alex - yes the Carlsberg add is legit
    The longest day
    Sands of Iwo Jima
    Batltle of Midway
    Tora, tora, tora.

BAnd of Brothers; I have my doubts about longterm
    Savung private ryan was just nothing special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

i can't believe nobody has mentioned patton.

• Advertisement

Aye Patton is a great war flick, "Rommel you son a bitch I read your book" classic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

1Bridge on the River Kwai
    2The Guns of Navarone
    3Das Boot
    4The Great Escape
    5Dirty Dozen

Excellent;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Snoop_froggy

1.Enemy at the Gate
    2.Sains Private Ryan
    3.The Eagle has Landed
    4.The Great Escape
    5.Kelly's Heros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

1. Das Boot
    2. Great Escape
    3. Kellys Heroes
    4. Dirty Dozen
    5. Where Eagles Dare

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Saving Private Ryan
    Band of Brothers
    Enemy at The Gate

Enemy at the gate is at best a world war 2 b movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Cant believe no one mentioned the thin red line.
    The great escape is def up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

1) TORA TORA TORA
    2) A bridge too far
    3) Das Boot
    4) Enemy @ the gates
    5) Saving Private Ryan

Advertisement