Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest rock song of all time

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

God, too hard, but Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin was a brilliant song. It will never grow old.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

give any song of Appetite For Destruction the title

if i had to choose it would be Welcome To The Jungle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Did Rock die in 1983? Is everything since, with a few honourable exceptions (Guns n Roses, etc), just dross?

The Rock tracks that still stir my soul are all '60s/'70s............
    White Room - Cream
    Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
    All Night Long - Rainbow
    and most anything from Jimi, Allman Bros, Canned Heat, Ten Years After.

Living in the past, maybe..........Damn, that's another great Rock song from Jethyro Tull !!

Incidentally, rumour has it that Guns n Roses is the proposed name for the upcoming coalition between Sinn Fein and The Labour Party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Is this strictly Rock or does it include Metal and all sub-Metal songs?

Because I personaly love the WHOLE S+M albumb by Metallica.

Master of Puppets, Hero of the Day are 2 insane songs....
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven, Excellent song, but I wouldn't call it the greatest rock song of all time, especially nowadays...

Rock has taken on a new image than from the 60's + early 70's, and Zeppelin are still loved and listened everywhere, but I couldnt realy say they have the best rock song yet.

I think that people are forgetting our old Mexican friend Carlos Santana, he has been around for 30-odd years, and has brought us all kinds of rock, suttle rock, metal, solo's... the lot.

The song that has gotten to my senses the most has to be Limp Bizkit (I know I know...) Mission Impossible 2 theme, it realy is something else. And maybe if he wasnt such a ****ing idiot he would get a little more appriciation, but then again... that would ruin his image.

Eron - Has the Ear for Music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Andywil

There are a few for me. The songs that make me reminisce are in no particular order...

Motorcycle emptiness - Manics
    Baba O 'Reilly - The Who
    Bohemian Rhapsody/Stairway are givens...

Shad0r disagrees, but i would class these two as eternal rock songs, Hotel California and American Pie.

But,... if i was given 5 minutes to live and told i could have one tune blaring as the flesh eating virus consumed me from the inside, i would have to ask the DJ to stick on 'TIJUANA LADY' by gomez. It's the one.

A

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Eron
    The song that has gotten to my senses the most has to be Limp Bizkit (I know I know...) Mission Impossible 2 theme, it realy is something else.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh! My! God!
    How could anyone say that the MI2 theme was in anyways good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Andywil

jaysis - nearly left out - my bloody valentine, sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Oh Gawd, yeah.......... how did I forget His Coolness, Mr Santana.

At this very moment as I post, Fat Bottomed Girls (Queen) is playing on DadRock (Today Fm). Hold it, now the intro to Gimme all your Lovin' (ZZ Top) is coming thru. Wicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

well, my faves would be

Free Bird (live/full version) - Lynard Skynard

Rockin In The Free World - Neil Young

Whiskey In The Jar - Thin Lizzy

Hotel California - The Eagels

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Bad Penny - Rory Gallagher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TheLizardKing

Most of you out there are too ****ing predictable...can you guys not let it go...if the best rock song is B.Raphsody(sp?)and some one says well,o.k. it's gonna be the only song left on earth!**** THAT!!They're classic rock songs but they were made stale....
    Try maybe a less typical rock song,like ppl already mentioned..........Freebird (full lenth live ver) or The Great Gig In The Sky or Light My Fire or Canned Heat-"Woodstock Boogie"(live at woodstock)or "woodstock"by Crosby Stills and Nash-it was a milestone for rock which represented the Woodstock generation which led rock into the 70's and note : most of the chosen songs for best rock were written in the 70's!!!Cheers!peace!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

mine is Pardon Me by INCUBUS a total Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Ooh ooh! How'd I forget it?

Bowie, Pink Floyd, and Trent Reznor - Comfortably Numb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

It's too hard to pick just one. My all time fav's are:

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
    Metallica - Motorbreath, Creeping Death, For Whom The Bell Tolls, One, Master of Puppets, The Thing That Should Not Be, No Leaf Clover
    Nirvana - Frances Farmer, Teen Spirit, Lithium, Heart Shaped Box
    GnR - Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child
    Led Zeppelin - Kashmir, Stairway
    Pearl Jam - Alive, Corduroy, Rearviewmirror, Spin the Black Circle, Deep
    Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

Sorry - I intended putting down three but got carried away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Metallica: Enter Sandman

--

- not necessarily my favourite one of theirs, - but could certainly be described as THE definitive ROCK song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Appitite for destruction is a savage album and the whole thing just works ,Also Pretty tied up,November Rain,Breakdown,Locomotive,Coma,The garden,Dust N bones,Dont cry..

Lynrd Skynrd - Free Bird,Simple man.

Sound Garden - Spoon man (not an all time great but **** its a kewl tune),Fell on black days

The Doors - Roadhouse Blues,When the musics over,L.A. Woman

Led Zepplin 1 2 3 and 4 symbols..they are simply gods when it comes down to it.

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile,All along the watch tower,actully the whole of Electric lady land.

Pink Floyd - Money,Great gig in the sky,Hey you,When the tigers broke free,Brick in the wall part 2(The solo is just unreal),Comfortable numb,The Trial..Special mention to ..Shine on you crazy diamond,dear god thats one amazing song..and if we ever meet aliens or something and have to show off something amazing that we've achieved that should be it..not to mention the drug induced hazes of which it was the soundtrack to for a fairly substantial part of my life..

Metallica - Seek and destroy,Havester of Sorrow,For whom the bell tolls

Rage against the machine - Killing in the name of

White Zombie - More human than human

Rolling stones - Paint it black ,sympathy for the devil,Honkytonk woman

AC/DC - Anything at all,they are just rock embodied ..but Black in black,Thunderstruck,Night stalker,For those about to rock,You shook me..

Aerosmith - Crazy,Crying,Eat the rich,Livin on the edge,Rag doll,love in an elevator

White Snake - Here I go again

Fleet wood mac - Oh well,The chain,and various others i cant quite remeber..

Dire Straits - Once upon a time in the west,Privite investigations,Where do you think your going,Brother in arms (Have i drifted into some kind of soft rock genre?)

Diamond Head - Am I Evil

Black Sabbath/Ozzy - Parnoid,Iron man,Walk on water,Children of the grave

The who - Quadrophenia the whole album

Pearl jam -Alive,Black,Evenflow,Porch,Jeremy..

hmm thats probably a bit much but sure what can ya do..im only about half way through :P

all the best
    NeM

Pearl Jam, Eagles, amongst others... I forgot alot of good names...

Pearl Jam - Jeremy, is a realy good song - but I would prefer Yellow Ledbetter...

The Eagles, well, live version of Hotel California... truely one of the greats, but Desperado was a brilliant song aswell.

Jimi Hendrix, the national anthem... best thing to wake up in the morning listening too, amongst his other songs, I loved that one most of all.

Metallica - Master of Puppets is an incredible song, one of the live versions that I have (an .mpg) is something else, 9:30 mins long, and brilliant quality. - Has my vote.

And Limp Bizkit, yes I know, I am sorry for that cock up, but I like the sound... and does it necesserily have to be 20-30 years old?

Eron

Actualy, I will have to add a few more to that list of songs...

Black Sabbath - Hand of doom, excellent song and a good Slayer remix aswell...

U2 (people seem to have forgotten them a little) - Sunday Bloody Sunday, (I dont know what you could class With or Without you as but it is an amazing song)

I take back my erlier Metallica vote, and instead I hand it over to another Metallica song... off the albumb ride the lightning, I vote for Fade to Black.

Eron

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh and who can forget: Tenacious D - Tribute

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by TheLizardKing
    Most of you out there are too ****ing predictable...can you guys not let it go...if the best rock song is B.Raphsody(sp?)and some one says well,o.k. it's gonna be the only song left on earth!**** THAT!!They're classic rock songs but they were made stale....

:rolleyes:

Stop trying to be different for the sake of being different perhaps?? Why are aforementioned songs "classics" if they're stale and crap?

brand new and shineye, or obscure does not necessarily equal the winning formula lizardKing.

Perhaps people are mentioning all these songs and "being predictable" for a reason????

And answer me this. Why are Led Zepplin the biggest selling band of all time if they're predictable, after all these years even?

If they werent famous, and reckoned to be the greatest rock song of all time, wouldn't there be a problem? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TheLizardKing

maybe i was too harsh with the "stale"but when i saw the question i knew what people would say,i love all those songs lemming(most of them)but maybe it would be nice to see some other less "pop/known" classics rise up with the like of "stairway..."thats all:)im just Grateful for the music and i think were all on the same line of music,theres no point in fussing over what song is better,we all have different tones,melodies,lyrics,that strike us deep inside ..well what can i say about zep but they're just the greatest Rock'n'Roll band in the world:)oh,yeah im gonna try add one to my list!!
    Because-The Beatles..Peace,hope i helped...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I actually think him using the term "stale" is quite a fair statement. I mean, I would always regard "Boh Rhap" as a classic, it was the song that got me into headbanging for godsake!

But at this stage really, I'm kinda bored with it. No...wait. I'm really really bored with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Rufus T Firefly

Death of An Electric Citizen - Edgar Broughton Band

Bullfrog Blues - Rory Gallagher

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath- er...can't remember the band

Motorhead - Motorhead (still have the original 12" single)

Star Spangled Banner - Jimi Hendrix

Come Together - MC5

Kick Out The Jams - MC5

Let There Be Rock (live version) - AC/DC

Everybody Hurts - REM

God Save The Queen - The Sex Pistols

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Ain'tTalking about Love - Van Halen

Wonderwall - Oasis

In My Time Of Dying - Led Zep

I don't know if it'll become a classic but 'Spread Your Love' by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is worth a listen if you can get hold of it on Morpheus/Aimster.

PS First band I ever saw was Black Sabbath (with Ozzy) at the Hammersmith Odeon in '78 during their 10th anniversary tour. Support act for the tour? A little known band called Van Halen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Creep

Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Sweet Child O Mine
    Paint It Black
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Anarchy in the UK
    Goldfinger by Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

In no particular order:

Guns N' Roses: "November Rain"
    U2: "The Fly" (pref. live)
    Queen: "Bohemian Rhapsody"
    Led Zeppelin: "Stairway to Heaven"
    Jimi Hendrix Experience: "All Along the Watchtower"
    Nirvana: "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
    Radiohead: "Just"
    Smashing Pumpkins: "Bullet with Butterfly Wings"
    Aerosmith: "Angel"

I'm sure there's loads I'm forgetting... will post again if I remember.

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

I have LOADS!!!!!!

Some of these:

U2-Most songs from the "Joshua Tree" era, especialy "Where The Streets have No Name" Also "Pride". BTW- and TOTALLY OT, who remembers a wildlife programme-Survival I think- which was filmed in the Mojave Desert, and set to "The Joshua Tree" This was YEARS ago!!!

Guns n'Roses- November Rain. A FANTASTIC song with a wonderful video. If you've never seen the full 15 minute video, check it out, because it's AWESOME!!!!

Guns n' Roses- Sweet Child of Mine

Paradise City by (yes) Guns'n' Roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Originally posted by Giblet
    Oh and who can forget: Tenacious D - Tribute

:D Good choice Giblet. Quality song and the video is pretty good too. Do you know if they have any other stuff or is it just a one-off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

There's too many out there to list but one swarming about in my head at the moment is Tonight, Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins. What a frickin great song that is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Iron Man - sabbath
    war Pigs - Sabbath
    Paranoid - Sabbath
    Screamager - Therapy?
    Enter Sandman - Metallica
    Countdown to extintion - Megadeth
    Rhapsody - Queen
    Guerilla Radio - RATM

A about a million more but these are my top picks at the moment

BOMb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I don't know what the hell the big deeal is over the November Rain video. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Gnr fan and I love the song. But what's so damn special about the video?
    And it's 9 minutes long!

Advertisement