Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mapping, Textures and Modelling Help!

Options

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh oeeeeeaaaahhhhhh Nice selection of stuff there Drakey...

I'll be requesting the adding of my Flash De_Desolate Website Type File at some stage so be afraid... Be very afraid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

can you save those urls on the game editing board? like the way the irish cs servers are saved on the Counterstrike board..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

they are saved scrappy.

STICKY is beside the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

anyone object to me posting a big list of WADS up here?? i reckon the way to provide texture goodness is just a whole thread of wads files available to anyone, and everyone can add to it. they should include descriptions of the textures, etc, but just a database of wads would be really cool...
    i'm so naive and idealistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Modelling and Skinng Tutorials and Usefull Sites
    I'll just post a list of site because some have modelling and skinning tutorials in the one page.

Clan Goat cs replacement site --- Some of the best cs models are here and there are some ref picks here also.

zeroping forums ---- Some of the best modellers and skinners post here and sometimes they post there refs also there are different tutorials if you search around.

Hitmans skinning site --- Some good skinning tutorials and a couple of modelling and skinmeshing tutorials. This site has everything pretty much.

Skindom
    General skinning site. Not just weapon skinning but flesh and clothes and stuff. Very good site.

Identity Crisis
    Like skindom has a good variety of skinning tutorials. Very good also.

Wavelength ---- This is a game editing site with tutorials for everything you need to make a game eg. skins models coding 2d art etc. Also check out the forums.

Project Boredom --- This link is to a good metal tutorial but if you look at the other pages you will find other good tuts.

Bobo the seal ---- Not especially great tutorials but there ok.

• Advertisement

can anyone tell me how to put up more than one file for download at a time??

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Quake Mapping Sites:
      Quakelab
      Lazarus
      QMap.org
      Q3Radiant
      Map Centre (very good site with lots of useful links)
      Quake3World
      Realistic Mapping for the Quake 3 Engine
      Claudec's Lair
      LVL
      Expert Quake

Quake Misc Sites:
        Code3Arena
        QDevels

Quake Mappers Sites:
          Charon
          ThrAx Level Design (My Site :) Reminds me how badly it needs updating...)

I can't remember any other good mappers URLs, but I reckon Charon is the best. I'll get the rest of my Quake mappers links from my favourites when I get home to Ireland.

For more links go to Mapping Links

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

how can i compile loads of .wal files into one bug .Wad file???

I'm assuming the .wal is quake textures? Try batch converting them into jpgs then just do "new" and then "open" and put the jpgs into the new wad.

• Advertisement

ehhhhhh.... how? do i batch convert something? psp?

oh yeah i forgot use wally.

okey doke. and finally, how does one post MORE than one link/file/image in the same thread i.e Thrax's links 6 posts
          above /\

when your making the thread just above where you type in stuff theres a load of buttons. Click on the "http://" button and then follow teh instructions.

okey doke i got that, but suppose i want to post 3 screenshots in 1 post, how do i do that??

theres a button called "IMG" press it, put in the link to your pic and then it will come out with something like "{IMG]www.bleh.com[/IMG]. It will be a pic when you post it. You can repeat this as many times as you like.

ok i got it. i wanted to wait till i could do this until i posted the latest screenshots of baile1916. i hated having to put up 2 or 3 posts at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Map images are normal TGA files (1024x768x24) made as screenshots from the level in HL. So, to create new map images, choose OpenGL 1024x768x32 as video mode for best results. The color green (0,255,0) is used as the transparent color.

The engine has a special cvar "dev_overview" to create new map images. If set to "1", the engine draws the level from above, looking down, but using orthographic projection instead of the normal perspective projection. This is done to avoid perspective distortions in overview mode. The engine will write the current parameters to the console (make sure to set developer 1 also) like so:

Zoom 1.63, Map Origin (1903, -1283, -200), Z Min 500, Z Max -1088, Rotated 0

You can move the map around with keys FORWARD,BACKWARD, RIGHT & LEFT. Maps will be automatically rotated to fit optimally onto the screen. If they are rotated, FORWARD and RIGHT are swapped, etc. Use the keys ATTACK and ATTACK2 to change the zoom. With zmin and zmax you can choose which parts of the map should be drawn. Only polygons between these two values are shown. This can be used to cut off ceilings or other unwanted objects. Origin is your viewpoint projected into the map. The map will be rotated around this point if you move the mouse in overview mode. Zmin can be changed with UP & DOWN and zmax with JUMP & DUCK. If you think you've found the correct values for the new map, simply make a screenshot and remember all of the values, which are needed for the overview description file (to avoid console text on the screenshot set developer 0).

The screenshot can be edited with any paint program to erase areas or make dark rooms brighter. The final map image could also be the result of several merged screenshots (each with different zmin/zmax values, but some origin and zoom) to get an optimal map representation.

Next, you have to create an overview description file that will be parsed by the client DLL to get the map image filename and the correct view parameters. This file must be in the overviews\ directory and must have the same name as the current BSP file, but with TXT as its extension. Here is an example (overviews\de_vegas.txt):

// overview description file for de_vegas.bsp

global
          {
          ZOOM 1.63
          ORIGIN 1903 -1283 -1088
          ROTATED 0
          }

layer
          {
          IMAGE "overviews/de_vegas.tga"
          HEIGHT -1088
          }

The global section describes zoom, the origin point the map is rotated around, and a boolean to indicate if the map image is rotated or not. The layer section describes the map image filename and at which height (z-axis) the map should be shown. The overview mode uses the some coordinate space as the game world and all icons are drawn at the same position as their corresponding entities (you could even combine map and world mode. For example real players and items moving over a map blueprint). In software mode, map images should be BMP files with 512x384x8 resolution.

Remember, the complete description file parsing, inset window, map projection and drawing code is all within the client DLL and may be changed as desired. It should just give an idea of what could be done with the new multiple views per frame and the LoadMapSprite() functions. It's not really needed for HLTV support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Hey does anybody know where wavelength is gone. It is ( or was) a great site

• Advertisement

Its appears to be down and gone from the planethalflife editing section. Ah well wasn't overly fantastic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

you talking 'bout this one ? :
          http://www.thewavelength.net/

you can still visit there old site the are making a new one I think:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Does anyone know anythin about changing settings of cars in GTA Vice city, any time i mess around with the settings the car will become too unstable. I want to set it so it will be fast and can jump high yet be stable, HELP PLEEAESE!!

Just get that gta3 adminconsole. Lets you do all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

Do any of the links already supplied in this thread have or link to a place that has pre-made images for armature adventure or RPG games. I've used AGS to try and make adventure games before but I can't draw for, well you get the idea! I once found a site that had some images I could use but that was a long time ago and the amount was limited(the person offered legal downloads of his game images for ones he'd made for his own games). I want to make sure the ones I get are appropriate for those sort of games and that they're legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

wings3d is a free easy-to-use 3d modelling tool however it does not feature proper texture mapping or animation.
          blend is a free less-easy-to-use 3d modelling tool that does feature texture mapping (i think) and animation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bluplr

http://iwannamap.com/

Where I started learning mapping in CSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LongDarkBlues

I'm stuck with a Mac this year, so I've been trying to teach myself some of this stuff.

I'm using Blender, which is pretty awesome and free, for the modeling, Photoshop for the texturing and trying to make something of it all with Unity - which I think would be great if I had even a tiny concept of C scripting.

Has anyone here used Unity? I've been working on designing a game for years and this seems like the perfect tool to make it with - makes games for Windows, Mac, Wii, web, and I think 360 - it has something to do with C#.

I'd love to work with someone on getting it made - I'm still trying to figure out how to bake my Blender meshes, though, so there's much learning to do. The game design is pretty solid, though.

• Advertisement
        • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dick101

thanks for the help realy happy to find smoe of them sites :)

Advertisement