Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU Flag...Hot or Not !?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by 80project
    FYI,
    The 12 stars stand for the divinity of the Virgin Mary (seen on most iconic statues as a halo).

NOT, contrary to popular belief as the indicating the number of member states.

I've heard that. People call it the "Marian Seal" hypothesis. What adds to the theory is that the Council of Europe adopted the flag on December 8, 1955 - feast of the Immaculate Conception and all that.

The official explanation behind the number of stars is that in the 1950s the Council of Europe had 15 members. One of these members was Saarland, before it reunited with West Germany. Because of this the Germans wouldn't agree to 15 stars. France wouldn't agree to 14 as it excluded Saarland. No-one would agree on 13 for superstitious reasons. Twelve was agreed upon because it was a "good" number and because of the historical importance of the number 12 (signs of the zodiac, spots on a clock, months in a year, apostles, tables of Roman law and starry crowns of the horsemen of the apocalypse)

The official reasoning, if you probe a Eurocrat, is the 12 spots on a clock.

Believe whichever appeals. I'm a fan of conspiracy theories so the December 8 adoption might just swing it for me.

The reason behind the colours is at least undisputed: blue and gold were the original colours of Count Richard Coudenhove Kalergi who first proposed a Pan European Union in 1923.

Alternative designs (while we're laughing at one, we may as well laugh at a few more):
    euroflagtile.jpg

euroflagpoints.jpg

euroflagtwirl.jpg

euroflaggrain.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I think it is Great. Very modern and trendy.
    Oh and i have a Peter Werth shirt that looks something like that except it has brown and orange stripes! LOVELY

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

\why don't we just make it the same as the American flag with different colours and get it over with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Hi,
    I think that the E.U flag is just fine, it represents all countrys involved, It should not get anymore stars even if enlargemant does occur, i myself are against enlargement, but i'll save it for the "Jobs to go with No to Nice Vote" Thread,

Regards netwhizkid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Gah!
    I never wanted to look at that flag again!!!!
    look what you did!
    look at WHAT YOU DID!
    LOCK THIS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by netwhizkid
    Hi,
    I think that the E.U flag is just fine, it represents all countrys involved, It should not get anymore stars even if enlargemant does occur, i myself are against enlargement, but i'll save it for the "Jobs to go with No to Nice Vote" Thread,

Regards netwhizkid

Please read this post mentioned above...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=469745#post469745

It clarifys your post regarding stars/member states :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Souldn't this thread be in 'Politics' and not 'Business & Economy'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

its a good idea but the flag sucks,mabey they could implement something from each countrey but not as complicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

most definately NOT!!

while the reasoning behind the proposed new EU flag may be well intentioned i.e. to show the multicultural identity of the union, it is never the less and eye sore!! and quite frankly it kinda makes me dizzy!

plus should we not be emphasing what is common to the member states not the differences??!!

I say lets keep our well balanced 12 star flag......anywho doesn't Romano Prodi have anything better do be doing with his time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

i voted no because its ugly as hell and think of the poor kids in national school trying to paint that, the horror! :eek:

but we are the first flag on it so YAY!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

i kinda like it, it grows on you...

b

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by PH01
    Souldn't this thread be in 'Politics' and not 'Business & Economy'?

Only took 5 months for you to think of this? :)
    That flag sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I think we should stick with the current flag. I quiet like it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

I hope our friends in brussels didnt spent too much money researching this little project for a new flag.

Advertisement