Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused

Options
  • 19-04-2002 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

I have struggled with whether or not I should post my personal issue on this board, I decided that hearing others opinion on the situation could be helpful, so here goes....
    I went and met a guy and think I am falling for him, which is a big no no since I am planning on moving as many of you already know. Anyway, we hit it off like we've known each other forever..we told each other that we didnt expect each other at this point in each of our lives. We have mutual feelings for each other, you know my problem THE MOVE, but he has a problem as well...He has been seeing this other girl (or so he says, I'll explain) for the last few years. Now if I believed this I would have no problem walking away and getting on with my life, the fact that we fit so well together and enjoy each other so much is so refreshing, anyway...it turns out that we have mutual friends and I asked the friends about the g/f..they say they have never seen them together. He is alone all week, goes out alone on the weekends and tells me how he is usually bored with nothing to do. Hmm, now I know she atleast did exist because I saw a picture of them at his house, I have been to his house twice, There is no evidence at all that a women has been there...I say this because usually when a couple have been together for a few years they leave bits of themselves at one or the others house...
    his place, a total bachelor pad. I want to believe him, he says he has strong feelings for her but now that I have come along he doesnt know what to do...I fit him better but he has been with her for awile. I want to know what you think about this, he knows I am leaving, he also knows I would stay if it was worth my while...I dont know if I should wait or How long I should wait...I want to buy my tickets if its a lost cause, I havnt wavered in my plans to move in5 months, nothing could change my mind until now, thats how much it has affected me. I know I am able to walk away if I have too, maybe thats what will end up happening but right now everything is up in the air:confused::confused::confused:
    Could he be in denial that they are not together and afraid to get in another relationship i wonder, I cant ask him this just yet, it's too soon. I wonder because one of our friends says that he would talk about a g/f that cheated on him and other bad things...
    He has been with this girl for 5 years, so he says, A lot of things are contradictory with that time frame though...I'm not so sure
    what do you think?:(
    It bothers me to the point that I dont sleep at night, I run, ride my bike, do anything to keep my mind occupied...He says he is confused and doesnt know what to do now that I have come along :( It's tearing us both apart I think. Sorry I keep going on but its all that I can think about, until I go to the pub tonight and drink away my anxieties :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If he was really meant to be with you then he wouldn't have her on his mind.

Leave, if there is something special then it will still be after your move. Just because he won't be in the same country doesn't mean that you can't love him.

It seems like you've got to get to the roots of why you are leaving. The devil always throws a banana at the feet of a head strong do-gooder!

You may have clicked but it's obviously not 100%. Sorry to be a downer. At the end of the day you will do the right thing babe.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

i have to agree with gordon here...

obviously i don't know the full story but then it doesn't sound as if you do... this guy is screwing you around... if he really wanted to go for it he would or else he'd tell you that it wasn't going to happen... it doesn't seem as though he's made up his mind...

and if the girlfriend thing is made up then get out of there now... if he's like this as a friend, what would he be like in a serious relationship? he's not being open with you at all and as everyone jenny jones follower knows, communication is essential...

it's going to be hard if you feel so much for him but you need to break the ties now before you actually do get more attached...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

THANKS.
    Your both right, I guess I already knew that..just needed to hear someone else say it I suppose.
    I dont usually get hung up like this, he just took me by surprise ya know :( ahh well, everything happens for a reason. Your right gordon, I thought the same thing about the devil throwing in a wrench to screw the works...
    I am going to leave the situation be, everything will work itself out for the best I am sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

UGHH, THAT LAST COMMENT WAS MINE, I FORGOT TO REGEISTER BEFORE I REPLIED
    LOL

your move away might even motivate him to get his act together, this way you'll find out indirectly how he feels...

• Advertisement

Absolutely Rachel.

Some strong stance on your part is probably what he is wanting. But remember, if you do move and you tell him this then he may actually go out of his way to keep you here. Just make sure you are 100% decided and happy with yourself what you are going to do, this is an important time and how he reacts may be important too.

It's so difficult. Good luck Lily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I happen to know who you're talking about, and I'm the girl's friend. She's happy at the moment. I'd be very annoyed if you try to do something that will hurt her.

Originally posted by JustHalf
    I happen to know who you're talking about, and I'm the girl's friend.

which girl? the ''girlfriend'' or lily? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Without wanting to be facetious, methinks:

He is using her as excuse to temper his relationship with you or
    He can't face up to loss - break-up or death of the last woman or
    The other woman is chained up in the basement or
    The other woman is in a 50 gallon drum in the basement

Originally posted by JustHalf
    I happen to know who you're talking about, and I'm the girl's friend. She's happy at the moment. I'd be very annoyed if you try to do something that will hurt her.

SORRY BUT YOU ARE WRONG.
    I am in the usa. Unless you live in cleveland ohio then you havnt a clue who I am or who they are....I think you may have been joking..no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

lol

I appreciate all of the good advice here, and I agree with all of you. There has been a new development in the situation over the weekend..see what you think.
    I went to church saturday night and prayed for guidance on what I should do, asked for a sign/help. I hadnt heard from him since that last wed night and was beginning to feel that I should just leave it alone. Well right after church I went up to the place where we met to talk with some friends and there he sat. I swear everytime I pray about something its layed before me and then I am faced with the decision...ugh anyway. I decided to play it cool and not act as though I had been thinking about him since I'd last seen him. I sat made small talk and then got up to go and talk with a male friend that was there...My other friend told me that he watched me the whole time I was talking to the other guy. I went back down chatted and got up and went to walk back to my other friend and this time he followed me without my knowing, I turned around and he asked me to dance and was hugging me, all that stuff. hmm, I definitly know he digs me.
    Now, I drove him home that night and went up to talk...things got a bit involved but didnt go too far because he stopped and said he cant cheat on his girl......but wait it gets better......
    He started to tell me something twice that night but stopped when he realized what he was saying and changed the subject.
    The first comment has vanished from my memory but I remember that it shocked me, the second was this....we were talking about me moving away and then he said that "she ran away from me"
    he stopped and began to talk about something else.
    He is obviously depressed about this girl, atleast thats what I can gather from it.
    I decided not to go to the place where we met anymore, or atleast when I think he will be there. I am not going to bother him even though I would like to be there for him and find out whats really going on. He knows where I live, has my # so if he wants to talk he knows where to find me. It was hard coming to this decision as I havnt been with someone like him for a very long time and I know we feel the same for each other. He needs time to deal with whatever it is and I need to continue doing my thing. Comments are still welcome, I was just giving the update :)
    Thanks

Absolutely, and Lily, you are doing the right thing.

He's on the rebound, you gotta be very careful when balls are on the rebound!

Keep us posted

Originally posted by IRISHLILY24
    Now, I drove him home that night and went up to talk...
    Duh! Lead him on (not!).
    ....we were talking about me moving away and then he said that "she ran away from me"
    Hmmm, check his basement .... :)

LOL victor, he was the one leading me one, I was ready for action lol
    anyway, his basement huh...I think you may be right ;)

LOL victor, he was the one leading me one, I was ready for action lol
    What is it about people, that all the alarms bells are ringing and people still want in? Rush into any burning buildings in the last while?

wow victor...bit of sarcasm aye :)
    life happens, this is just one of those things that keeps you on your toes. I think this sort of thing happens to us all, its all in how you deal with it that separates the sheep from the herder. ;)
    **hugs**
    I can just imagine the response I am going to get from that one, please no surprising bah bah's it would be too much for the imagination :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

life happens, this is just one of those things that keeps you on your toes. I think this sort of thing happens to us all, its all in how you deal with it that separates the sheep from the herder. ;)

lifes too short.

YES...IT IS.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think that you are perhaps thinking too much. Go to the pub and have a good time. If he is not the right one perhaps the next is. It is a life of surprises, good ahead, surprise yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Oh and stop using caps plz thx gg

Yes, you are right. I am going to go ahead and go to the pub, if he isnt really interested and see's my car parked there then he will just keep going, and if not then I'll just have a good time as I intended. Either way, with him or without him I will have my fun :)
    I'll post on monday if anything happens...oh btw, his birthday is on tuesday and I have a card for him, I plan to leave it in his mailbox that day as a good gesture. Does this sound okay?
    This way he knows I am still cool with him and he knows where to find me if he wants to talk, and he will also know someone is thinking of him on his birthday...he doesnt really see his family and is an only child. I dunno, I guess I just care for him no matter how hard I try not too. oh well...tis life.

oh btw, his birthday is on tuesday and I have a card for him, I plan to leave it in his mailbox that day as a good gesture. Does this sound okay?
    No, mail it.

why?
    we live on the same street.

why? we live on the same street.
    I didn't know that, OK drop it in his letter box. Going across town and dropping it in his letter box could seem extreme (at both ends of the scale).

oh ok, no prob. :)
    I thought I had said that previously ;)
    you are right though, thanks :p

Ok, here is the update....ughh
    I ran into him when I was out with my frineds sat night.
    i was riding with my friends, they were leaving so he said he'd take me home since we live on the same street...instead he drove to his house so we could "chill" anyway, we talked until 8am, no funny business this time. I made him tell me what was going on with the g/f. They are infact still together and that night they had a fight because his friend was throwing a surprise b-day party for him (today is his b-day) and she snitched to him, and she invited some people that he doesnt like, to his own party! they got inot a fight over it as he didnt appreciate her doing that and then coming over and trashing his house on top of it so he kicked everyone out and drove up to our place, thats right when i walked in. My friend said he had just got there before I walked in..what timing huh. anyway, after we talked we wnt to get breakfast and drove around for an hour then he took me home.
    I got home at 9am sunday morning. He told me that he stays with her because his life is unstable and she is the only constent that he can count on...he said he likes knowing he has something to fall back on and that he is afraid to throw away this security blanket and start over again. I told him some things and let him knew I'd be there for him as a friend. Anyway, today he is coming over because i told him I got him a card ...I dont know if he still wants to go out but he mentioned that he'd like to have dinner and go to an art museum sat night....
    I'll give another update tomorrow ;)

Well here it is folks,
    my daily soap opera...This is the end of it I hope.
    He came over and we wnet back to his place to watch a movie and talk...he cancelled his trip to cancun with his g/f got his refund and said he is trying to decide if he wants to break it off completly....wow, I was not expecting this. Then he says things like he wants to come to Ireland with me etc... We talked until 5:30am!! I am dead tired....anyway
    we talked, I gave him a b-day gift which he really liked, he didnt get any other gifts really. We were totally behaved, no funny stuff and then he gave me the kiss goodnight, after I made it clear that I would be there for him as a friend, now I think I cant be around him because he is still confused and I just dont want to get caught up in it anymore, It has ceased to interest me.
    While I am growing less interested, he is growing more interested
    ughh, what have I done.:(
    I do like him and feel close to him, but I think its time to cut off all ties and let him do whatever it is he is going to do.
    I dunno, life has been throwing me some real curve balls latley
    I am just getting disgusted with the whole thing now.
    what do you think?

Then he says things like he wants to come to Ireland with me

this from a guy who says:
    He told me that he stays with her because his life is unstable and she is the only constent that he can count on...

imo, cut the ties... the guy seems more trouble than he's worth

• Advertisement

Didn't someone say life's too short.

Get the scissors out and start cutting him out your life, he's not worth it, end of story.

Just imagine if you get into a serious relationship, imagine how tired you'd be every day, it would just spiral and spiral and spiral and all the time you'd be trying to convince yourself that it'll get better, no really it will, I can see it, I can see him understanding and I can feel it, I can feel it Mom. Get out and snog a stranger in the street I bet it'll be more fun than the future you'll have with this guy.

Some typical quotes here for ye Lily.
    "Ditch that **tch"
    "Lose the loser"
    "Hit the twit"
    "Fire the liar"
    "speak to the hand coz the face isn't listening to you, madam."
    And "Never trust a man that speaks total bollix that is willing to disregard your feelings for the sake of his emotional overdraft and pull all the world in a round him to justify that engine."

Why are you asking when you have made up your mind?

Advertisement