Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marijuana does not dent IQ permanently

Options
  • 10-04-2002 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Ye don't become stupid, just absent minded....which can seem like stupid alot of the time. :)

Mary Jane = Bye, Bye Memory Lane

must stop posting and go back to work,nnrrgh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

did you know, and this is a fact, that smoking 1 joint is the eqivalent to smoking 10 ciggarettes?
    you also burn up 10,000 brain cells with every one joint that you smoke.....hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

that smoking 1 joint is the eqivalent to smoking 10 ciggarettes
    True

you also burn up 10,000 brain cells with every one joint that you smoke
    False...cannabis does NOT kill any braincells.

hmmm,

I wonder why they would print that in a health book used at school then?
    I only quote what I'v read in the text book;)

it effects your short term memory WHILE under the influence ONLY.they forget to mention the last part
    go here for more info
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_health.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by IRISHLILY24
    you also burn up 10,000 brain cells with every one joint that you smoke
    Source please.
    Originally posted by Ruaidri:
    cannabis does NOT kill any braincells.
    Source please.

• Advertisement

ahem,
    I said it was a school text book, if your interested in which one well, take your pick..it was a health course....and ruidari posted a link on his reply ;)

I said it was a school text book, if your interested in which one well, take your pick..it was a health course....
    A high-school health class textbook isn't going to do as a scientific source. They tend to be full of anti-drug scaremongering. Can you post a link to a scientific paper from a reputable source that verifies the 10,000 brain cell figure?

well, I suppose I would if I cared about the subject that much, I however do not. I am stating a fact that was printed in a text book...if you would like to find out for yourself i suppose you could look up the information, I was just making a reply to the original question and since I neither smoke pot or care if others do or not its not that important to me I just remember what I learn. Dont get me wrong, I am not being sarcastic just making a comment ;)

Originally posted by Meh
    Source please.

1)The journal PHARMACOLOGICAL REVIEWS [2] reports that decades of research prove that, "Compared with legal drugs...marijuana does not pose greater risks." Yet based upon mortality statistics, we can safely conclude that cannabis is one of the safest medical drugs known, for, while prescription drugs, defined as safe by the FDA, kill up to 27,000 and aspirin up to 1,000 Americans per year, cannabis kills 0 per year
    - From Bureau of Mortality Statistics, 1988. U.S. Public Health Service statistics. National Institute of Drug Abuse statistics. U.S. Surgeon General's Report.

And the nail in the coffin

2) Doesn't Marijuana cause brain damage?
    The short answer: No.
    The long answer: The reason why you ask this is because you probably heard or read somewhere that marijuana damages brain cells, or makes you stupid. These claims are untrue.

The first one -- marijuana kills brain cells -- is based on research done during the second Reefer Madness Movement. A study attempted to show that marijuana smoking damaged brain structures in monkeys. However, the study was poorly performed and it was severely criticized by a medical review board. Studies done afterwards failed to show any brain damage, in fact a very recent study on Rhesus monkeys used technology so sensitive that scientists could actually see the effect of learning on brain cells, and it found no damage.

But this was Reefer Madness II, and the prohibitionists were looking around for anything they could find to keep the marijuana legalization movement in check, so this study was widely used in anti-marijuana propaganda. It was recanted later.

(To this day, the radical anti-drug groups, like P.R.I.D.E. and Dr. Gabriel Nahas, still use it -- In fact, America's most popular drug education program, Drug Abuse Resistance Education, claims that marijuana ``can impair memory perception & judgement by destroying brain cells.'' When police and teachers read this and believe it, our job gets really tough, since it takes a long time to explain to children how Ms. Jones and Officer Bob were wrong.)

The truth is, no study has ever demonstrated cellular damage, stupidity, mental impairment, or insanity brought on specifically by marijuana use -- even heavy marijuana use. This is not to say that it cannot be abused, however. -- source
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_faq1.shtml#3-3

now do you beLIEve?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That 10 times worse than a cigarette claim. Could that be due to the absence of a filter? Or is it the Hash that causes this?

How much more dangerous, say, would a filterless ciggy be than a regular filtered one. (assuming tar levels and such are the same)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    now do you beLIEve?
    I believed marijuana didn't kill brain cells anyway based on my own experiences with it. I smoked hash fairly regularly (1 - 3 times a week) during college and I graduated with a first class honours degree. Thanks for the info anyway -- interesting reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that may be, but how many people do you know that smoke as many joints as they do cigarettes? you'd smoke a few joints in a night maybe, but people who smoke cigs would smoke (i know it varies) 10-20 , or even more cigs a day.
    plus most people don't smoke a joint as often as they smoke ordinary cigs.

that fact may be true, but relatively it ain't half as scary as it sounds.

Dont forget that there is more tobacco in a joint than in a normal cig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

That's not neccesarily true Ruaidhrí! Som epeople don't use tobacco - they use weed! Some people don't smoke joints they smoke pipes!!
    All these facts are more often than not crap. I just did a quick search and results on different sites said;
    One joint is the equivalent of'
    A pack (an american pack is 20 smokes)
    10 cigarettes
    5 cigarettes
    8 cigarettes
    and I've also heard someone claim 40 cigarettes!!! It's laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

did you know, and this is a fact, that smoking 1 joint is the eqivalent to smoking 10 ciggarettes?
    you also burn up 10,000 brain cells with every one joint that you smoke.....hmmm

so if ye make a blowgurt or funny cakes with it, it does you no damage what so ever? :D
    it'll only make you :confused: and :cool:
    ;)

what about hash though. the ****e that goes in making that must surely do so damage to some organ or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Well, lets see. Are we talking about a one-skin joint, a long-skin joint, a carrot, or a 1-metre long monster doobie? I've seen them all.

Over here in Switzerland, the bast majority of grass-smokers I see use between 3/4 to 1 cigarette in a joint. This would include the people I know are relatively heavy smokers, the strangers I see rolling on the train, and so on.

I'm not really criticising Ruaidhri here, but I find it interesting to see a comment like this coming from someone who is obviously well-informed about the "pro-canabis" arguments, because these are the type of pseudo-facts the anti-canabis school love to trot out, and seeing them used by anyone who has done any sort of proper reading on the subject only reinforces their belief that "marijuana is bad, mkay?"

jc

Originally posted by Scruff
    what about hash though. the ****e that goes in making that must surely do so damage to some organ or other.

what goes into making it that would do damage to you?

I'm not picking a fight - its one area I havent been able to find good information on. If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it...

jc

Originally posted by bonkey
    what goes into making it that would do damage to you?
    I thought it was just compressed resin from marijuana plants....We tend to get it in Ireland because it's compressed and therefore easier to transport/smuggle than marijuana leaves. In the US, they wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole -- they only smoke grass there.

Edit -- found this link:
    http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/marijuana/modmoroc.html

Originally posted by Meh
    I thought it was just compressed resin from marijuana plants....We tend to get it in Ireland because it's compressed and therefore easier to transport/smuggle than marijuana leaves. In the US, they wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole -- they only smoke grass there.

Edit -- found this link:
    http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/marijuana/modmoroc.html

I haven't looked up any links, but AFAIK hash is actually an opiate - while weed is not. Hash is what you generally would see in Ireland, it's also generally alot stronger than grass!
    If I find a link I'll whip it up.

<edit> some interesting links;

http://www.ccguide.org.uk/brain.html

http://www.ccguide.org.uk/deaths.html

Some Myths </edit>

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    I haven't looked up any links, but AFAIK hash is actually an opiate - while weed is not.
    Wrong. Hash is just another form of marijuana. The psychoactive substance it contains is THC, not opium/heroin.

• Advertisement

Sorry,i was thinking about how much tobacco my "friends" normally put into a j..and it was early..well it depends on the joing size of course..and how tight/loose wide/long you want..and of course if it's rolling tobacco or ciggy tobacco.
    let's say,for arguments sake one joint is roughly equal to a 3 skinner(if you have to ask you probably should not be reading this)
    now i've seen them rolled with a fag and a half(mmmm)and some scabs(note students:prudent people)using only 3/4..so i'm sorry for the stupid comment earlier :( blame the earlyness of it all
    as always it depends,but they are stronger than normal ciggies. oh yeah and sorry for going so off topic

Originally posted by Meh
    Wrong. Hash is just another form of marijuana. The psychoactive substance it contains is THC, not opium/heroin.

Yeah, sorry. Just looked it up. I recall someone telling me that though. Ah well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

here is the latest british gov commissioned research paper
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/crr_pdf/2000/crr00300.pdf

the consensus is that whilst not as harmful as some would have you believe it can exacerbate existing mental health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Meh

well i remember back year ago you could buy all different kinds of hash: camel and skunk were two "types" i remeber.
    I remember there was some type that was supposidly laced with speed too.
    There'd be all kinds of stories as to what exactly went into in alongside the resin. camel **** was one ingredient mentioned.

Originally posted by Clintons Cat
    the consensus is that whilst not as harmful as some would have you believe it can exacerbate existing mental health problems.

This actually seems to be the emerging "determination" about its effects. I notice that there is a growing trend of reports to come out and say "yes, its not as bad as you were led to believe", but relatively few go on to scientifically quantify whether or not there are positive effects - most notable when used as a medication.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭papashiv0

Originally posted by Meh

There is good reason why the yanks wont touch our 'solid' or resin what ever you want to call it. it can be laced with all sorts of sh!t from animal fat to plastic to god knows what. But the flip side is that the grass in ireland is no better than see weed so what ya gonna do until they leagalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

free pot

SEATTLE—A push to legalize marijuana on the West Coast is picking up steam as Washington lawmakers and pot proponents in California and Oregon propose separate measures.
    The Washington state legislature will hold a preliminary vote Wednesday on whether to sell pot in state liquor stores, though even its authors say the bill is unlikely to pass. The same day in California, backers of a well-funded ballot measure to legalize marijuana are expected to file more than enough signatures to put the initiative before state voters in November.
    Activists have also been busy in Washington state, with one group filing a marijuana-legalization initiative last Monday to put the issue on the November ballot. Activists in Oregon, meanwhile, say they have collected more than half of the signatures they need by July to allow a vote on whether the state should set up a system of medical-marijuana dispensaries.
    View Full Image

OB-FH143_washpo_D_20100115192018.jpg
    Reuters Richard Lee, of Oaksterdam University, looks at cannabis plants maintained by students in July.

BTN_insetClose.gif

the efforts are part of a national marijuana-legalization movement that has lately been emboldened by several factors, including laws allowing marijuana for medical purposes. The recession may be another reason. With many states suffering big budget deficits, for instance, legalization advocates say the states could benefit from new taxes on the sale of marijuana. In addition, the Obama administration appears to have taken a more-mellow attitude on medical marijuana as societal views about the drug evolve. In a poll last week of 500 adults in Washington state by SurveyUSA, 56% of respondents said legalizing marijuana is a good idea.
    "We're beyond a tipping point culturally," said Roger Goodman, a Democrat representing Kirkland, Wash., and other Seattle suburbs in the Washington legislature who co-authored the legalization bill, known as HB 2401. "Now we're at a point where we're figuring out the safest way to end prohibition."
    West Coast states—especially California—are particularly in the vanguard of the marijuana-legalization push given the region's more-liberal attitudes toward a variety of issues. Legalization measures in other states, such as Massachusetts and New Hampshire, haven't gotten as far, said Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.
    Washington lawmakers will vote on a second bill next week that seeks to reduce the penalties for possessing small amounts of marijuana to a $100 fine from a crime with jail time.
    Still, there is deep opposition to legalizing marijuana in Washington state from law-enforcement groups and chemical-dependency organizations, many of which argue it would make the drug even more accessible to teenagers than it is currently. Also many argue that marijuana is a "gateway drug," meaning it will lead those using it to moveon to other drugs.
    "What message does legalizing marijuana send to the youth of Washington?" asked Riley Harrison, a ninth-grade student, before a packed committee hearing this week in Olympia. "That you're willing to gamble our future for a little tax revenue?"
    Washington, California and Oregon are three of 13 states that have medical-marijuana laws, which permit patients with doctors' notes to use the drug. The New Jersey legislature last Monday approved a medical-marijuana bill that will make it the 14th state and outgoing Gov. Jon Corzine is expected to sign it before leaving office next week.
    The legality of selling medical marijuana remains tenuous. Federal law considers pot illegal, and enforcement of state laws varies widely among California cities and counties. Last October, though, the Obama administration said it wouldn't aggressively pursue users of medical marijuana where it is legal.
    The legalization ballot measure in California was organized by a pot seller in Oakland, Calif., Richard Lee, whose group says the petition now has more than 700,000 signatures, far more than the 434,000 or so it needs to qualify for the November ballot. The measure would let local governments determine how to regulate and tax pot sales.
    So far, Mr. Lee says that his business—which includes a medical-pot club and marijuana-business school dubbed Oaksterdam University, named after the city of Amsterdam where marijuana is decriminalized—has spent "a little more than $1 million" supporting the pot-legalization initiative. Mr. Lee says he is optimistic the measure will pass.
    An April survey by the Field Poll found that 56% of California voters support legalizing pot and taxing its proceeds as a way of mitigating the state's financial crisis.
    The California measure's opponents include various law-enforcement groups represented by lobbyist John Lovell. He says the California Peace Officers' Association, California Narcotic Officers Association and California Police Chiefs' Association are concerned that legalizing pot will lead more impaired drivers and embolden illegal-drug cartels to gain control over a legal industry. "The bottom line for all three groups…is we already have significant criminal and societal problems with alcohol abuse," said Mr. Lovell.

i want more" upps":D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

just vaporize that **** then its not really too bad for you at all

• Advertisement

sorry mate im off the fags the vap and im clean yes very clean i sound like a twit but yes I'm high on life for 20 years but i agree be free. iv been there, done that, seen that, faced that, experienced that. I'm just an old fart. OK so leave me be as Woodstock is i am.:P yes to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement