Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL deploy cable-modem "broadband" in Dublin since Monday 4th Feb.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

I have just rang NTL enquiring as to which parts of Clondalkin are upgraded. As usual, my area is not ready :confused: but she assured me that it should be ready within the next month or so. I asked her if she could tell me what parts are upgraded but she said she didnt have a list. She mailed me on some information on the service - the usual stuff plus a special offer that waives the installation charge if I subscribe before the 1st March.

I may have to wait a while longer but it is definitely a different situation from when I rang them at the beginning of January when they said Clondalkin wouldnt be upgraded for 7-10 months.

It would be helpful if NTL had a page on their website listing newly upgraded estates in each area. At least you could tell how quick and how far away they are from reaching your own estate

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

Guys, we should create a page somewhere, with the city map, and some explanatory stuff, just to track the real situation progress...

For instance, if NTL does the promised upgrade within 2 weeks or the nearest month in some areas, would be cool to have confirmation about this somewhere.

Another nice thing would be to compare replies. I've just got reply about at least 6 months for upgrade in D3 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Good thinking greys...
    Maybe someone from IOFFL could get in touch with someone at NTL that actually knows something... and share it with the rest of us?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was going to try and get in touch with them today, but I didn't get around to it. I'll try on Monday.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

roll on dublin 14 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I was going to try and get in touch with them today, but I didn't get around to it. I'll try on Monday.

adam

I'm sorry but that's just not good enough.

You're fired ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

NOOOOOOOOOO

I used to live in Killinarden in Tallaght.......DAMN.......now i live in the middle of NOWHERE, 4km from the nearest town......and for them prices.........NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Renton
    I live in marley grange in dublin 16, Still on a 1-way network according to the wan at the other end of the phone :(

Oh well...

Renton
    Available in most of knocklyon for a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

I enquired to NTL about when the Blackrock area would be upgraded, but I was unlucky enough to get a foreign customer service person who hardly new the English language let alone when the area would be upgraded, so this news makes me smile a bit more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

I emailed them asking how long before it will be available over here in Galway. They replyed giving me the number for the Waterford NTL branch and told me to ring them. Why would I have to ring Waterford to get information on when NTL cable is available in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Been connected for the last 2 months on Limekiln Road (this road runs all the way from Greenhills to Terenure). I have a feeling that the areas that were made 2-way first were the areas that Cablelink let fall apart. Faced with having to re-cable these areas the might as well have installed the 2-way network.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

bard/adam
    can you sticky a list of specific areas that are ntl cabled?

Kennington, Limekiln Road
    :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've sent an enquiry to the NTL public relations manager, I'll let you know when I hear anything back.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by MiCr0
    bard/adam
    can you sticky a list of specific areas that are ntl cabled?

Kennington, Limekiln Road
    :-)

doesnt fergus have some site for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Ok, so it's six months later...

...any progress???

I've called them several times askin bout the odd Dublins (Northside), and my one in particular. Responses varied in consistency and sureness:

# Not sure - hopefully 6 months #
    # Won't be within the next year, yes I'm sure #
    # Definitely within the next 6 months #

They seem to like the number six.
    Anyone else notice that they tell you they'll take your number to register your interest, then say bye and hangup, without you telling them your number. Pretty much a "stop hogging the line" effort. (That particular call I gave no full address or account number)

Got a cold-call on the door from a rep for NTL Digital. The cables were changed on the houses a few weeks earlier, so I was interested in the prospect of cable internet. Blah blah blah great lineup of Digital channels blah blah blah. Asked him bout cable net. Er hold on, I'll call my supervisor. And ya know on those Nokias, you can hear the callee miles off. A lil' youngfla. I could hear somethin along the lines of no we're not doing cable net there. Flog him the weekend thing.
    So I got the forms, I asked him to come back for the copy of the Eircon bill (cos they need CPS to provide free weekend net access).
    He came back two days later after I read all the pixieprint, and I pretty much told him to feck off I changed me mind! He looked none-too pleased.
    But in the meantime they'd set our bill to monthly so I called themt o revert. They asked me for my PIN. My what? Em, do you like Leeds? (WTF has this gotta do with anything? methought)

Although I did get a guy who was frank about the whole thing. Told me they had problems with existing users of the service abusing it and slowing the network for others. And that he didn't think that it would be rolled out any time soon in this area.

What a ramble, eh? :rolleyes:
    Seems we've all heard the same carp before :(

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Has anyone on the boards enquired about Lucan?
    I asked them about two months ago and was told it will be early next year and that the area was not upgraded yet (sound familiar?)
    Funny thing is there's probably more new houses being and been built in Lucan than anywhere in the country in the past five years. Therefore more new roads, more new cable ducts and, presumably, more new cable being laid. Do they really just lash out the cable to get new connections without the forethought of future demands on the network?
    Seems to me it would be cheaper to lay a decent infrastructure first time round than to do a job twice.
    Am I over-simplifying here? If anyone who knows more than me about this sort of thing (most of you!) can enlighten me further I would appreciate it.
    One of the most annoying things is that I moved here from Tallaght!

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I moved into a new house in the new estate in Tyrrelstown so I rang up asking if new estates had 2 way networks. Yer man told me that all new developements have the 2 way network but they would not be offering the Cable Internet service until all areas were upgraded. I told him I was seriously thinking of moving to Sky Digital but if I thought I could get Cable Internet with them I would stay with them. He didn't care. No wonder NTL are losing money all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A ntl rep came to my door asking about digital tv which i have.

I posed the obvious cable inetrnet question, his reply was it would be 1-way rather than a 2-way cable offering and next year was time limit which i conclude that upgrading areas is a non-starter for the foreseeable future

And just to add, ntl in glasgow are offering dirt cheap 1mb connection to a scottish friend i know !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Most of NTL's network is physically not suitable for two-way cablemodem traffic. It does not have the bandwidth. There was a project to upgrade it a couple of years ago, but around February of 2001 all work stopped. No area has been upgraded since then.

Here's an extract from an interview with Stephen Carter, MD of NTL (UK and Ireland).
    Why have you lost customers in the UK market recently?

If you are running a customer service business that is based on connections to people's homes you are always subject to people moving house. Especially if you are not running a national business. And we don't in the UK or even in Ireland where we just serve Waterford, Dublin, and Galway. In the UK there are 24 million homes and we pass 8 of them, so we are a third of the size of a national company so that means there are lots of people who can move off our network and we can't sell them a service.

The other thing is the NTL business in the UK has been concentrating our growth on broadband rather than on digital TV. We are adding 10,000 broadband customers a week, at the moment. If you factor that up on a national level, bearing in mind that our broadband network only passes a third of homes, it would mean we are adding 32,000 broadband customers a week. BSKB who are romping home on digital TV are only adding 24,000 pay TV customers a week and that is a national business. So it depends how you look at the picture.

Due to halting the upgrading of NTL's Irish network you can't launch cable modems here? Will there be more money to invest in Ireland?

This year we will spend £400 to 500 million sterling on capital investment and we have been in chapter 11. So it's a myth and an inaccurate fact that we haven't been making investment in our business. Operating expenditures are not even included in this, so if you wrap that in its about a billion sterling.

So its not he case that we are not investing. And we have been at pains throughout the chapter 11 to point out that our operations in the UK and Ireland were not affected by this process. We haven't failed to pay one supplier or a member of staff. We haven't stopped connecting customers or stopped developing a product. As far as broadband in Ireland is concerned Graham and his team are working on some exciting plans in that area.

That sounds like a fudge. Can any company and NTL specifically afford to do that upgrade here now, which was estimated at £300 million?

My answer to that question is the world has changed. Three years ago it cost you £400 pounds to buy a set top box, now it costs £120 pounds. It would have cost over £100 pounds for cable modem at the same time whereas now you can buy one for £30. It's the same with fibre capacity, peering costs and all the constituent elements of building networks. They are not what they were.

So the headline numbers from 3 years ago for capital expenditures are not appropriate measures for going forward. There has been seismic change in that market and as I say watch this space. Right now in Ireland we are concentrating on a digital roll out. Its a different business from the UK, it's a TV led business and we have hundreds of thousands of customers- that's were the focus is. But we don't have an ambition only to provide TV services.

Can you give the consumer an idea of when the focus would move to broadband?

No.

Can we [Irish consumers] put it off for at least a year?

Someone once told me the only luxury you have in an interview is not to say something, we are doing what we are doing in broadband. We've had a trial going in west Dublin that's gone very well. We're emerging from chapter 11 process, we've got new leadership in the business in Ireland, we re rolling out digital, improving customer service and we have some exciting plans for broadband. I think if you look at the telecoms and technology territory that's a pretty good place for the company to be.

"Exciting plans for broadband"- What does that mean?

I don't know yet.

When will the company know?

When it knows.
    I don't believe that it's malice that is causing NTL to concentrate its broadband investment to Britain. Rather it is the legacy nature of the Irish cable system. Due to the lack of mult-channel TV in Ireland in the 60's and 70's, Ireland got cabled up far earlier than other countries. At that time, the requirement was simply to pipe in two or three British channels. Initially it was just BBC1 and Ulster TV, later adding BBC2. Much of the cable infrastructure dates back to these days. This was sufficient to give a choice over the single RTE channel.

Other countries got cabled up later than Ireland. The technology had moved on and so had the competitive environment. Therefore a much higher grade of cable was installed to carry a much larger number of channels. In the US, analogue cable systems can carry 60 to 70 channels. When they convert to digital it increases to around 200 (in Ireland I believe that NTL's digital service only offers around 50 channels in total). The side-effect of this greater capacity meant that cablemodem Internet became possible. Upgrading is still necessary but they don't need to upgrade the cable running between the houses - the expensive bit.

In Ireland we have the worst of all worlds. Although NTL now have £400m to play around with, it does not make sense to upgrade here when for a much smaller amount they can be upgrading new towns in the UK to two-way services. Therefore, that is where the money will be going.

There may be other aspects to the situation in Ireland however. Here's an extract from an Interview with Ed Brophy (head of regulatory affairs in Ireland) from the summer of 2001:
    A disappointing but inevitable result of doing business in Ireland and the
    changing economic climate, claims Edward Brophy, manager of regulatory and
    statutory for NTL Ireland. "At the moment it is just not economically viable
    to roll out fibre networks," said Brophy. "There simply isn't the demand."
    "A year or so ago, operators were getting plenty of capital to fund what I
    call a field of dreams, the notion that if you build a broadband network
    then the customers will flock to it. That has proved not to be the case and
    now operators have to be more pragmatic and look for demand before they put
    the infrastructure in place. The simple fact is, that most people in Ireland
    are quite happy with a dial up connection - there isn't a pent up demand for
    broadband."

Despite the embarrassment of having to revise it original plans, Brophy
    insists that any network operator would be mad to build networks when there
    is no demand, no services and no applications.
    "Realistically, what applications and services are in place at the moment to
    make customers want broadband?" he said. "What is so compelling about
    downloading a film to watch on your computer screen when you can go to the
    video shop and hire one to watch in comfort on your TV?"
    Full article here. I don't know to what extent this attitude pervades the telecoms industry in Ireland. It is certainly very different in other countries.

The sad thing is that the need to upgrade the cable networks was forseen as far back as 1996 by Government advisory bodies but nothing was done.

Anyway, the chances of NTL upgrading it's network to full two-way standards in the next five to ten years are slim to none (and slim just left town :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Skeptic, where did the interview with Steven Carter come from? The journo seems to be well on the ball.

(i bet its from an Ioffl press release or something and ill be emabaressed ;) )

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Skeptic, where did the interview with Steven Carter come from? The journo seems to be well on the ball.

(i bet its from an Ioffl press release or something and ill be emabaressed ;) )
    It is from Jamie Smyth of the Irish Times. The interview is in the technology section of the main ireland.com website and did not appear in the paper itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

friday 30/0902 or thereabouts near the back of the supplement on friday.

Skeptic has quoted the bulk of the article and with it the overweening impression that was given

IT when do we paddies get jam?

NTL we are spreading jam at a phenomal rate everywhere

NTL we have great plans and think our jam is yummEEEE

NTL (Finally) but we think ye only watch television, thats the flavour of jam ye are getting for the foreseeeable.

The best thing is to ask NTL yourself and post their ....no doubt interesting.. answers in here when you get them.......next year I suppose. One of these should know.

John Gregg
    Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
    ddi: 0171-909-2000
    ext: (729) 2003
    mobile: 0385-502-161
    fax: 0171-909-2012
    e-mail: john.gregg@ntl.com

Stephen Carter
    Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer
    ddi: 01256 754500
    ext: (711) 4500
    mobile: -
    fax: 01256 754501
    e-mail: Stephen.Carter@ntl.com
    other contact information:
    PA - Karen Mott, 711 4502

Mr Peter Douglas
    Group MD Broadcast
    ddi: 01962 822214
    ext: (716) 2214
    mobile: 07774 650474
    fax: 01962 822555
    e-mail: peter.douglas@ntl.com

Mr Scott Falconer
    Managing Director Consumer Services
    ddi: 01256 752003
    ext: (711) 2003
    mobile: 07881 500953
    fax: 01256 752908
    e-mail: scott.falconer@ntl.com

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Muck

That article makes it pretty conclusive. No jam. No cheese. No hang (as in sandwich). No dairy gold. Not even a spread of blue band. In fact, no bread, and not even a few crumbs. Apart from a few isolated pockets, Broadband via cable is dead.

At least Carter has the decency to state his case, devoid of ambiguous waffle.

Nowadays, faced with a choice of

SKY
    NTL or
    Chorus

I would simply recommend SKY to people, there is no point in hanging around waiting for the others to roll out broadband anywhere else....never mind the crap analog service on NTL around my area with no digital option. The customer service and picture quality from NTL and Chorus is simply AWFUL. We might have put up with it if we were offered extras such as Internet and/or Telephone service but instead we simply have a juvenile SKY with not a care in the world as to what it is doing.

Cable is dead in Ireland, it will be gone in 2-3 years . It will have been a victim of its own incompetence.

The Cable companies have NO telephone service anywhere, that runs over cable.
    There is no Broadband in Connacht
    There is no Broadband in Ulster
    There are 2 small deployments in Munster
    There are 2 larger deployments in Leinster

Hopefully the government will renationalise NTL once its value drops to 10 Million or so. Then we may have a future.

In the meantime FLEE

M

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Nowadays, faced with a choice of

SKY
    NTL or
    Chorus

I would simply recommend SKY to people, there is no point in hanging around waiting for the others to roll out broadband anywhere else....never mind the crap analog service on NTL around my area with no digital option. The customer service and picture quality from NTL and Chorus is simply AWFUL. We might have put up with it if we were offered extras such as Internet and/or Telephone service but instead we simply have a juvenile SKY with not a care in the world as to what it is doing.

Cable is dead in Ireland, it will be gone in 2-3 years . It will have been a victim of its own incompetence.

The Cable companies have NO telephone service anywhere, that runs over cable.
    There is no Broadband in Connacht
    There is no Broadband in Ulster
    There are 2 small deployments in Munster
    There are 2 larger deployments in Leinster

Hopefully the government will renationalise NTL once its value drops to 10 Million or so. Then we may have a future.

In the meantime FLEE

M

Yes, another nail in the coffin of broadband. The only viable widespread option is now (gasp) €ircon!. Wheres my plane ticket....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

In the meantime FLEE

Mind you, in fairness, we are probably being unfair to Caseys in Dungarvan. They were always a step or two ahead of the rest. And apparantly they continue that position. Fair dues to them.

There are 3 small deployments in Munster

From the Census Here we see that the combined population of Thurles Clonmel and the inadvertently overlooked Dungarvan is

6874 + 15200 + 7218

About 30,000 and thats assuming everybody in those towns has decent cable. 0.75% of the population

There are 2 small deployments in Leinster

Kilkenny and spots in Dublin. NTL will not list these spots despite being asked, pupoulation coverage.

8507 + 25000 (assume)

About 34000 and again assuming decent cable. 0.85% of the population

So 1.6% of the population has some chance of getting cable internet.

Wow, spanking.

M

Chorus' cablenet service is available to around 12,000 homes in Clonmel, Kilkenny and Thurles.

If you add all the alternative "last mile" platforms together, less than 2% of homes are covered. This means that Eircom have a 98% monopoly on last mile provision.

Ireland is pretty unique here. In the US and the other place, Europe, most of the larger towns will have two-way cable thus providing price competition to the encumbent telco. ADSL at over $100 simply is not viable. The whole EU regulatory framework depends on having this level of competition. We can't expect them to change just for us. We have to do this ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    We can't expect them to change just for us. We have to do this ourselves.

Any suggestions?
    Lay our own cable?
    Grab some wireless gear and make a mass movement towards IrishWAN?
    Storm eircom's offices with axes?

Noticed one of their exchanges near Camden Street in town while passing by... resisted the urge to throw things at the blue and orange vans though :)

zynaps

• Advertisement
Advertisement