Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top ten Arcade machines

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

LoGiE wrote: »
    Oh dear lord.... I hate NARC! :eek:
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Narc is one of those horrendous Midway games that were only popular because they were filled with gore and awful digitised graphics (I'm looking at you as well Mortal Kombat series).

I agree with the both of you. It's a god awful game. Didn't stop me spending **** loads of money on it when I was a kid though. Kids + gore + drug references = hook line and sinker.

Well it was for me anyway. I wanted to stay true to what I've played in arcades. Most of which was done on Bray seafront when I was a young lad.

As for Mortal Kombat... it's a classic. Whether it's stood up to the test of time or not (Which it obviously hasn't)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

no particular order:

spyhunter, ya sat in, the tunes were cool, and the game too.
    punchout, as it had a dedicated cabinet type.
    kung fu master, looks basic but plays excellently.
    shinobi, just seemed to be a step up when it first came out (yes i'm that old)
    street fighter 2, again, when it came out first, t'was a quantum leap.
    super sprint
    truxton, I used to love it, no particular reason, just a good game.
    time crisis (2?), college time wasted there.
    Raiden DX, college time wasted there too. (Hi Sue)
    jesus, I nearly forgot Hyper sports!

way more but I'll stop at 10. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

EL_Loco wrote: »
    no particular order:

spyhunter, ya sat in, the tunes were cool, and the game too.
    punchout, as it had a dedicated cabinet type.
    kung fu master, looks basic but plays excellently.
    shinobi, just seemed to be a step up when it first came out (yes i'm that old)
    street fighter 2, again, when it came out first, t'was a quantum leap.
    super sprint
    truxton, I used to love it, no particular reason, just a good game.
    time crisis (2?), college time wasted there.
    Raiden DX, college time wasted there too. (Hi Sue)
    jesus, I nearly forgot Hyper sports!

way more but I'll stop at 10. :)

Punch Out ? read this :)
    http://the-minusworld.com/2008/03/03/punch-out-the-most-racist-video-game-ever-made/#more-42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Narc is one of those horrendous Midway games that were only popular because they were filled with gore and awful digitised graphics (I'm looking at you as well Mortal Kombat series).

I assure you Pit Fighter, and its spiritual sequel Guardians of The Hood are truly transcendent videogames.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    As for Mortal Kombat... it's a classic. Whether it's stood up to the test of time or not (Which it obviously hasn't)

It has stood the test of time. It's just as ****e as when it first came out. I wasted buckets of pocket money on the MK machines due to an impressionable mind that wanted gore and violence ahead of decent gameplay. MK1 was a truly abhorrent experience. MK2 was decent enough since the juggle combo system was quite good and the fighters quite balanced. But it came out at a time when SF2 Turbo and Samurai Showdown 2 were in the arcades, vastly superior games. MK3 was a complete joke. The juggle combos were replaced with stupid memory combos, the fighting was painful and dated as were the graphics and to make matters worse the gore was really looking silly and the fatalities were either unoriginal or just stupid. It came out at a time when people were playing Tekken 2, Virtua Fighter 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 and enjoying the gory delights of resident evil. MK3 was a relic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 i_have donethis

turly wrote: »
    Hmm, I must be a bit of an old-schooler I think.

1. Space Invaders (honorary first place)
    2. Moon Cresta
    3. Galaxian
    4. Robotron
    5. Tempest
    6. Red Baron and/or BattleZone
    7. Missile Defence
    8. Gorf
    9. 1942
    A. Zaxxon

What a cool choice, many a 10p I have loaded into these machines, moon cresta was the sh1te! Stick defender stargate on there and its perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

My list (most of which i've owned the origs)

1 defender
    2 robotron
    3 gorf
    4 stargate
    5 1942
    6 tiger heli
    7 salamander
    8 mappy
    9 bombjack
    10 starwars

all I've left with is a defender and boardsets for robotron, joust and stargate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It has stood the test of time. It's just as ****e as when it first came out. I wasted buckets of pocket money on the MK machines due to an impressionable mind that wanted gore and violence ahead of decent gameplay. MK1 was a truly abhorrent experience. MK2 was decent enough since the juggle combo system was quite good and the fighters quite balanced. But it came out at a time when SF2 Turbo and Samurai Showdown 2 were in the arcades, vastly superior games. MK3 was a complete joke. The juggle combos were replaced with stupid memory combos, the fighting was painful and dated as were the graphics and to make matters worse the gore was really looking silly and the fatalities were either unoriginal or just stupid. It came out at a time when people were playing Tekken 2, Virtua Fighter 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 and enjoying the gory delights of resident evil. MK3 was a relic.

*Untwists Retr0gamers knickers*

There you go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

Hi all, im new here but i too have spent many an hour or 2 or 3 and plenty of 10ps in the quest to clear games in one credit (although people with their credits in the machine werent always pleased :D) my top 10 would have to include:

1. Shinobi (one of the first games to reward for up close attacks when clearing each level I think it was an extra 20,000 points!)
    2. Street Fighter - all editions.
    3. Double Dragon - you got to smack people with baseball bats!!
    4. Ghouls and Ghosts
    5. Moon Patrol
    6. Bubble Bobble - using the button combos before starting the game for power ups.
    7. Metal Slug - all editions.
    8. Defender
    9. Pengo - kicking blocks of ice around the screen.
    10. New Zealand Story.

Im sure there is loads more I cant even remember.

Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭WECpoker

1. Space Invaders
    2. Pacman
    3. Ms Pacman
    4. Astroids
    5. Frogger
    6. Mario Bros

And just about any PINBALL GAME

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

I know this is an old thread but I've got to share some of these gems!

I also can't believe Tetris wasn't mentioned...

I have sorted these by the ones I spent more time playing or for going through more 10p and 20p's but there are just to many great games to limit to 10!
    Here goes:

1. Kung Fu Master. Best beat'em up ever.
    2. Ghosts and Goblins. Best music in a video game!
    3. Wardner.
    4. Splatter house. Probably the first ever gore/horror title with scary sound effects.
    5. Bonze Adventure
    6. Hyper Olympics
    7. Karate Champ
    8. Cabal
    9. Carrier Air wing
    10. Tetris

Notable mentions:

Oscar (Oskar)??
    Ikari warriors
    Gauntlet
    Galaga
    Double Dragon
    Midnight resistance
    Outrun
    Rad Mobile
    Street Fighter 1 (I can remember when it first came out with large punch buttons for you to hit with your fists. After 5 mins you were knackered playing the game)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hyper Olympic!! (Track & Field) i was only playing International Track & Field aka Hyper Athlete the other day... the good old days of thrashing arcade controls to within an inch of there life :)
    As for Tetris... there was always girls playing it (Insanely well I might add) so having my ass kick would not have been good for the ego. As for Street Fighter come on lets all agree...it was crap.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

In no particular order:

Kung Fu Master
    Burnin' Rubber
    Gorf
    Out Run
    Double Dragon
    Raiden
    Jackal
    Star Wars
    Commando
    Enduro Racer

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

70s and 80s were my gaming eras

1. Space Invaders
    2. Donkey Kong
    3. Defender
    4. Pac Man
    5. Pac Land
    6. BombJack
    7. Bubble Bobble
    8. Hyper Olympics
    9. Legendary Warrior
    10. Asteroids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

LoGiE wrote: »
    To get the ball rolling...

1 Killer Instinct :cool:
    2 Mortal Kombat 2
    3 X-Men COTA
    4 Puzzle Bobble
    5 New Zealand Story
    6 Street Fighter 2
    7 Sega Rally
    8 Virtua Fighter 2
    9 Pac-Land
    10 Primal Rage

You may notice theres a bit of a beat'em'up trend

:D:D

So what are other peoples favorite arcade games of all time
    ??

Oh i thought it was literally top 10 best arcades aka, Megalo 50 ect.....

1.In the hunt
    2.Ghoul's n ghosts
    3.SSf2X
    4.Metal slug 1
    5.Kof 95

Well there is 5 anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Mine Are...... (In no order)
    1. Outrun
    2. Streetfighter 2
    3. Shinobi
    4. Hypersports
    5. Wonderboy
    6. Pacland
    7. Chase HQ
    8. Afterburner
    9. Double Dragon
    10.Football Champ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

In no particular order..

* Magic Sword - Heroic Fantasy

* Truxton Great to see others mention it, awful blisters playing this.

* Pocket Gal (English bootleg Rom) Great social game, many laughs.

* Gals Panic II This must have been a bootleg version, down behind Clerys.. you could clearly see the 'gee bags'. Sitting there, all angelic faced, in my school uniform. Skill, timing.. and a pan handle. I see there's a German version listed, it might have been that. Very graphic.

* Black Tiger Out in Bray, place was always seriously overheated, comfy stools, I'd last ages on this. Once finished though, lost interest.

* Bomber Man World More 'good play value'. I could sit there for ever playing it.. Quirky's, before their move to a Gambling type venue, right down at the back, beside their Dungeons & Dragons cabinets. :)

* Virtua Racer (VR) The sit down version, behind Clerys, lovely lovely game, I still love the chunkiness of the graphics. The version they had was a two player sit down, side by side.

* Neo Turf Masters Great playing value, very relaxing.

* T-Mek Quirky's..! I know someone is going to take the piss, but I loved this cheesy sit down.

* Mystery game - Wizard, Bard, Ninja or Valkyrie I think.. isometric Fantasy hack and slash, first boss was a purple blob with ring of teeth in head..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

1. Street Fighter II
    2. Bubble Bobble
    3. Mortal Kombat I (MKII was the greatest load of crap)
    4. Spideman (the one with the Black Cat and Hawkeye)
    5. Virtua Tennis
    6. Prop Cycle
    7. World Soccer?? (I think that's what it was called. The 80's arcade machine where you had to hit the pedal to shoot)
    8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    9. Pac Land
    10. Golden Axe

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Amalgam wrote: »
    In no particular order..

* Magic Sword - Heroic Fantasy

* Truxton Great to see others mention it, awful blisters playing this.

* Pocket Gal (English bootleg Rom) Great social game, many laughs.

* Gals Panic II This must have been a bootleg version, down behind Clerys.. you could clearly see the 'gee bags'. Sitting there, all angelic faced, in my school uniform. Skill, timing.. and a pan handle. I see there's a German version listed, it might have been that. Very graphic.

* Black Tiger Out in Bray, place was always seriously overheated, comfy stools, I'd last ages on this. Once finished though, lost interest.

* Bomber Man World More 'good play value'. I could sit there for ever playing it.. Quirky's, before their move to a Gambling type venue, right down at the back, beside their Dungeons & Dragons cabinets. :)

* Virtua Racer (VR) The sit down version, behind Clerys, lovely lovely game, I still love the chunkiness of the graphics. The version they had was a two player sit down, side by side.

* Neo Turf Masters Great playing value, very relaxing.

* T-Mek Quirky's..! I know someone is going to take the piss, but I loved this cheesy sit down.

* Mystery game - Wizard, Bard, Ninja or Valkyrie I think.. isometric Fantasy hack and slash, first boss was a purple blob with ring of teeth in head..

I'm getting all misty eyed remembering back to the old arcades :)
    My favorites where the arcade beside Murphy's Laugher lounge and the arcade on the opposite side of the Liffey, around the corner from the 'Harp'. Bliss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭zap27

Ah the memories!

1.Battlantis
    2.Rygar
    3.Bubble Bobble
    4.Mexico 86
    5.CSI (the car game like chase HQ except better)
    6.Pacland
    7.Virtua Tennis 2
    8.Bank Panic
    9.Spy Hunter
    10.Time Crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 k-mecca

:pac::pac::pac:Wonder boy is for sure # 1
    Bombjack # 2
    Pac land # 3
    Rygar # 4
    Scramble # 5