Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling

Options
  • 04-02-2002 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any channels showing wrestling apart from Sky Sports, i know Bravo used to shoe WCW and ECW but is anyone else showing wrestling??

Bomb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sky ONE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

YAH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Watch Sky One for all your Wrestling and Topless Women Needs!
    :D:D:D

DOH! - just got rid of it.

Does E4 have it.. probably not.. maybe it was Bravo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Bravo used to have wrestling, ECW I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Since WWFE, Inc. bought WCW and ECW lock, stock and barrell around this time last year, WWF is the only brand of wrastlin' around on TV.

Shame really.

Channel 4 did have some PPV's and Sunday Night Heat, until the end of 2001, they didn't renew the contract, so SNH is available, its not on any Sky channel, yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Phelim 3:16

Bravo is showing a wrestling event from somewhere in England on March 3rd I think. It is sponsored by Talksport. Eddie Guerro and Brian Cristopher (GRAND MASTER SEXAY fromm wwf) will be appearing on it. I don`t know if this will become a regular occurence but I doubt it since the show is being filmed about a month before it is being shown.

Other than that there is nowhere. However on sky sports, there is a UFC programme on this thursday night. UFC is sort of shoot wrestling (It is real). I hope they start to show UFC ppv`s that would be cool.

Also I noticed on a wrestling website that WWA (they did some shows in uk and ireland last november) are in negotiations with Channel 5 to produce a 16 episode wrestling show following their international tours. I dunno if this is a realistic prospect because as far as i know, WWA are having some financial trouble. If it does happen, they have Randy Savage, Jeff Jarrett (soon Sid Vicious) and a host of other ex wcw/wwf wrestlers under contract.

check out www.wrestlingobserver.com for the full story.

Phelim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Phelim 3:16
    Other than that there is nowhere. However on sky sports, there is a UFC programme on this thursday night. UFC is sort of shoot wrestling (It is real). I hope they start to show UFC ppv`s that would be cool.
    Ultimate Fighting Championship? please let it be. i have been wanting to see that for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i know about C4 and Sky1 i was just wondering about any other channels, also would it be possible to resposition my satellite or buy another one (maybe on a mobile base) so i could watch programs live from the USA or maybe watch the wrestling channel in Japan???
    Whatcha Think?

Bomb

• Advertisement

i thought i saw that ultimate fighting thing on TG4 of all places.. probably wring

That was two leprachauns in a bath tub!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

They show ECW/NWO wrestling on DSF Sports Channel (German)
    on Thursday evenings and Saturday evenings. Its still available for free on Astra Analogue (yer old sky dish)

Smackdown is shown uncensored for free on TV3 Chesky (SKY Digital) on Wednesdays I think

Mosssy,

Yeah it is Ultimate Fighting Championship! On Tuesday they officially announced the deal with Sky. I lifted this from another forum:

ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP TO AIR WEEKLY SHOW ON SKY SPORTS IN U.K., IRELAND STARTING FEB. 7
    LAS VEGAS, February 5, 2002…Officials of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) today announced it has signed an exclusive television distribution agreement with British Sky Broadcasting (BskyB), Great Britain’s leading sports television channel, to air “Ultimate Fighting Championship,” a one-hour fight show, for 23 consecutive weeks at 11 p.m., every Thursday starting February 7, in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
    The agreement represents a landmark for the UFC’s international distribution strategy. For millions of British and Irish sports fans, it represents the opportunity to watch the world’s best mixed martial arts fighters.
    “Ultimate Fighting Championship” will feature videotaped championship fights and top matches in each of the UFC’s five weight divisions and will bring U.K and Irish fight fans an insiders view into mixed martial arts with personal interviews with its top stars. The host will be UFC announcer Mike Goldberg.
    The series will include championship bouts and matches featuring UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture, Light Heavyweight Champ Tito Ortiz, Middleweight Champ Murilo Bustamante, Welterweight Champ Matt Hughes, Lightweight Champ Jens Pulver and top contenders Josh Barnett, Pedro Rizzo, Pat Miletich, BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell and many others.
    “Today starts a new era in our history and is recognition of our development in the past year,” said Dana F. White, UFC president. “This agreement with Sky will increase the international growth of our sport. The United Kingdom and Ireland have some of the world’s most knowledgeable fight fans. We look forward to entertaining them each week.”
    In the U.S., UFC events are available to over 50 million pay-per-view television subscribers.
    WOOOOOOOOOOO!

As for the wwa promotion that I mentioned earlier, they are going to be running a PPV in vegas on the 24th of this month. But I doubt it will be broadcast here unless C5 step in quick!:p

Phelim.

this is great. let's hope they get the viewers so Sky will renew when this new deal ends

WWA are filming a PPV here in April, hopefully well get to see it on RTE or TG4, Also can i get that DSF Sports channel with my Digital Satellite, and does anyone know if its possible to get Japanese channels here in Ireland??

Bomb

And by the way WWFE didnt buy ECW at all, they bought the rights to use the ECW logo for a very short period of time.

Bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

Wrestling sucks!

Draw me a bath Smitthers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

did anyone watch faking it last nite?
    it was about a ballet dancer who had to become a preofessional wrestler in 4 weeks.
    cool

Yeah here is hoping that they get enough viewers and we start to see UFC PPV's.

As far as I know, the WWA PPV is on the 24th of this month, and no network here is carrying it. Anyway most people in the States think it won't go ahead, and even if it does they have no mainstream appeal (Hogan hall and nash were snapped up by WWF) and no weekly television to promote their show. WWA will probably only be able to survive as as a international touring company unless they get television soon. The XWF seems like a better bet to succeed as they have a deal with Clear Channel.

From what I heard, the WWF didn`t even pay ECW any money to use the trademark. Because ECw is bankrupt and Heyman is in the WWf anyway they got away with it. There was a chance that Acclaim would sue the WWF and put the Invasion ppv in jeopardy because they are a creditor owed money by ECW. That is why WCW/ECW was soon christened the Alliance so that Acclaim would not sue. In fact the bankruptcy trial for ECW is still ongoing.

I was thinking about starting another forum, seperate to this Dgital Satelite one, about wrestling/MMA. Would anyone be interested?

Phelim.

• Advertisement

Yeah faking it was a good laugh, but it was poxy the way it was done under Kayfabe, all the Faking it shows are really good.

Bomb

i fell asleep halfway through it and woke up 3 minutes into Jackass :)

Yeah a wrestling group would be cool, WWF paid the highcourts the once off fee to use the ecw name and logo, because once a case is in the highcourts it is controlled by the US justice system, acclaim would have been given a percentage of the money, also its a little know fact that the WWF owned stocks in ECW.

Bomb

Is nobody using this board anymore?????
    Bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

We aren't allowed.
    BECAUSE STONE COLD SAYS SO!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

What?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

In relation to a new group, apparently the XWF are in negotiations with TBS who used to broadcast WCW. However apparently Ted Turner wants to own the promotion and this is a huge stumbling block if they do geet a tv deal, it won`t be long before they are over here in some cpacity.

The XWF doesn`t have much talent though. Jimmy Hart and the nasty boys are the sum of it as far as i know. They did have Curt Henning as their champ, but those nice guys at Titan Towers snapped him up.

Did anyone hear that Scott Steiner was in Stamford last Wednesday for a medical? From what I heard he passed so he will probably sign with the WWF soon.

As for that faking it show, why did they have to Keyfabe it? They came across as complete idiots to anyone who understood pro-wrestling. But it was a blast seeing Tatanka again!

Phelim

Heat is going to be shown at 7pm on MTV every sunday. No info as to when this starts though. And no information about the 4 PPV's that were dropped by C4. I hope they show the live american version but i doubt it.

Phelim

Dont expect seeing any new federation anytime withing the next 20 years.The only thing that might rival it is UFC.I was pretty chuffed when i turned on sky sports and it was on.You never know there are rumers of Ted Turner buying a new federation and there are some pretty big stars still out there.Anybody ever check out the british wrestling ?? Its not too bad .

• Advertisement

Where do you check out british wrestling? Is it on tv?

I think your right about no new promotions. It will become even more difficult to start something when vince splits the crew and runs two ppvs a month after mania. Classic monopoly move! And even if somebody did start one, vince would just take their stars. The only hope is if Turner buys the XWF or something. There were always rumours that Murdoch was interested in starting something for FOX but I think that is just pie in the sky.

Phelim

Advertisement