Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Us to introduce a per email sent charge?

Options
  • 18-01-2002 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭

Perhaps this isnt the right forum for this discussion but yesterday on the Pat Kenny radio show. Pat was mentioning a report which stated that in the US the are looking to pass a federal bill that for every email a user sends there will be a 5 cent charge.

He was saying that with an average of a user sending 10 emails a day in the states it would be around 50 cent per person per day...imagine the revenue the could make with that?

Firstly I do not know how they would enforce that but the present governments reasoning behind it is that they see that business on ecommerce sites have begun to dwindle. They need to keep revenue going through the internet and thus they have come up with this radical solution.

Personally I do beleive that if america were to introduce something as mindboggling stupidness as this idea then Ireland would be one of the first countries to follow suit.

And if America do want to generate more revenue from the whole internet business then they should go the seperate route of introducing a minimal internet connection charge.

thoughts and ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

twas on the pat kenny show. my fate in pat kenny has died.

I shall now email the twat with the URLs..thanks dahamsta

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Haha (can't believe he fell for that one after all this time - I'm gullible enough to swallow a bus and I didn't fall for that one when I heard it first)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

yea, per email charging, liek that will ever happen, next they will be talkign about per minute charging, ooo.. hold on a minute

Actually about 6 weeks ago i saw a think causign a stur in the american online world. it said that the federal goverment would start charging per minute, some people were really pissed at the idea. i had to laugh. in the end it was a hoax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

that may be a joke but the EU a few years a ago were testing out a bandwiht tax 1cent per mb downloaded. but as the US was not going to do it the EU would be left laging behind. and the isp's gave out stink so they droped it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Remember years ago that chain mail went around telling a story of a guy in a bar in the states that met some girl, she bought him a drink, they went to his room, he passed out, he woke up in a bath full of ice, beside him was a note saying "Call an ambulance, your kidneys have been harvested"?

Well that was a fairly obvious hoax, but Pat Kenny sure didn't think so when he reported it on his show.

(PS Pat Kenny = moron)

-Son of Blam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

oh yes, the Pat Kenny show; that old reliable source of technolgy news.

I actually find it hilarious that RTE took this hoax seriously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heh, If my linux server at home had a net connection, I could send anonymous emails to anyone - how would they charge me for that? :D ah poor aul Pat. God luv 'im :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Son of Blam
    Remember years ago that chain mail went around telling a story of a guy in a bar in the states that met some girl, she bought him a drink, they went to his room, he passed out, he woke up in a bath full of ice, beside him was a note saying "Call an ambulance, your kidneys have been harvested"?

Well that was a fairly obvious hoax, but Pat Kenny sure didn't think so when he reported it on his show.

(PS Pat Kenny = moron)

-Son of Blam
    rofl, he actually reported that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

didn't they run a similar story on april fools day last year something about the royal mail introducing an e-stamp for emails.

"up excuse me I would like to send a registered e-mail"

• Advertisement
Advertisement