Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter

Options
  • 12-11-2001 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Went to a private Harry Potter premier there last Sunday in the Parnell st UGC and I must say I was quite impressed. Exellant film, I'd recommend to anyone. Sticks extremly closely to the book, somtimes a bit too closely resulting in a slight lack in depth in some scenes but overall an excellant film. Defo one to see.

.logic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

read the first book last night. will read the next one tonight. looking forward to the film :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Amoi, who has actually read the book(s) and is really looking forward to it? It seems to be certain groups of people who have read the book, maybe they had you read it in school. Personally, me and most of the people I know had only vauguely(sic) heard of Harry Potter until about a month ago, whereas most of the people in my girlfriend's course(drama) have read it and love it. Is it really that good? Like Lord Of The Rings good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Excuse me,but what age are you lot?Harry Potter my arse!A pile of adults reading and going to see a film for kids 11 and under?Pathetic!P.S-If the Lord of the Rings is as bad as that thing the Gobbit or Hobbit or whatever i wouldnt touch it with a 50ft barge pole.We once read a chapter and twas ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

"We once read a chapter..." what, in primary school ?

i've read the books, and while they aren't near Lord Of The Rings good they are quality kids stories + cleverly written.

The movie was loyal to the book. I thought that it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by The Gopher
    Excuse me,but what age are you lot?Harry Potter my arse!A pile of adults reading and going to see a film for kids 11 and under?Pathetic!P.S-If the Lord of the Rings is as bad as that thing the Gobbit or Hobbit or whatever i wouldnt touch it with a 50ft barge pole.We once read a chapter and twas ****e!

Lord of the Rings is really nothing like the Hobbit. The Hobbit is a book primarily aimed at kids. LOTR is a lot more sophisticated (but then Harry Potter is also)

Too much bad poetry in LOTR in my opinion but then what do I know.

As for a pile of adults going to see a kids movie, I'll refer you to Shrek, ET, Star Wars, Toy Story and even Fantasia. Eat my shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

He only read the first chapter! yeah the first chapter is ****e! but if you can name a book that the first 2 or 3 chapters are not crap, you will be doin well! You have to get into a book before you enjoy! The Hobbit is excellent as is all the rest of the Lord of the Rings Series! Personally i haven't read the Harry Potter series but i think i might venture out and have a look at the movie! but i am really waiting for the Lord of the Rings! its should be excellent!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's a shame that something that will be forgotten in 10 years is looking like it could outstrip, say, a Star Wars film.

The Irish Times reckons that Potter merchandising is going to be worth about $1billion this year.

All together now....KER-CHING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

dont get me started on idiots that dont know that lotr is one of the best books every written!!!
    i just hope the films dont let me down!!

Originally posted by The Gopher

indeed, the well rounded opinion of someone who obviously still plays with matchbox cars and action man.....

maybe when you grow up you will find that people are allowed to enjoy, well, whatever they feel like. now, i dont go slagging you because you like bosco......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

this whole potter thing has gottin out of control imo. I havint read the books, and will probobly see the film, but lets face it - the movie event of the year is not harry feckin potter. Its LOTR next month.

AMOI... this whole thing stinks to high heaven of a marketing ploy. As far as im aware, it was after LOTR films were announced that they decided to make potter. The fact that it got released first - and only by a month - gives it an unjust advantage at the 'ol box office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

im waiting until ive read the book before i go and see the film.

Originally posted by Goodshape
    this whole potter thing has gottin out of control imo. I havint read the books, and will probobly see the film, but lets face it - the movie event of the year is not harry feckin potter. Its LOTR next month..

why do you think its lotr?
    is that your considered opinion?
    or is tha just the rumour thats going around the movie world?
    AMOI... this whole thing stinks to high heaven of a marketing ploy. As far as im aware, it was after LOTR films were announced that they decided to make potter. The fact that it got released first - and only by a month - gives it an unjust advantage at the 'ol box office.

[sarcasm]
    D'OH!!!!

you mean they make movies to make money?
    good heavans! why didnt someone inform me before?
    do the police know?
    [/sarcasm]

a marketing ploy eh?
    so you think they took a few books which were pretty popular and made em into a film. good marketing ploy that. kudos for those boys. certainly made their salary with that desicion didnt they?
    lotr has been in production for a long time. in fact most films that have come out in this millenium were announced after lotr!
    an unfair advantage?
    are you making into a race?
    or is it a case of 'im a lotr fan and i want to see my film do better at the box office'?

i cant believe so many people have such huge issue with the harry potter film. especially since they havent even read the books. yeah, its aimed at 11 year olds. so what?
    you think the magic roundabout was aimed at 5 year olds.

or hold on....
    the simpsons. hands up here who doesnt watch the simpsons coz its for kids.....?

point made, yeah i think so. if youre gonna debate, then bloody do a good job of it, otherwise post something sensible to do with the thread.

tut! children these days....

jaysez WWM, calm down... deep breathes... in through your nose... out through your mouth and all that.

no need for the attitude. Of corse it was only my opinion. And I have no problem with films aimed at kids. Some of the films I love the most are aimed at kids.

....and yes, this is just a simple case of "I hope my film does better". I'm sorry if it upsets you so, but I have been awaiting the LOTR films for years.... and now some upstart comes along and tries to steal the press? forgive me for being a bit annoyed.
    i cant believe so many people have such huge issue with the harry potter film.

...I thought that was my point.
    point made, yeah i think so. if youre gonna debate, then bloody do a good job of it, otherwise post something sensible to do with the thread.

tut! children these days....

whats this then? a feckin' sing-song?

tut! moderators these days....

wait a sec... not finished...

...LOTR has been a labor of love for peter jackson and crew. The guy is a long-time fan of the books. Harry Potter, no matter how fathful the film is, has been rushed out before X-Mas for obvious reasons.
    do the police know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Speaking as someone who has read the philospher's stone, and not "gotten it", allow me to add my 0.0254 euros.
    mumbled by whitewashman
    why do you think [the movie even of the year is going to be] lotr?
    Because, my good sir, LOTR is one of the most-read books in the history of literature (actually, didn't it win some incredible title, like best work of fiction ever?). As such, the movie is eagerly anticipated by just about everyone who has read the books. Even those that haven't still want to see what all the fuss is about. Let's compare and contrast this to Harry Potter, shall we?

All of this without a massive advertising and marketing blitz. All of this without a coke deal. All of this without it's distributor giving that oh-so-media-friendly soundbite "this film could be bigger than star wars".

I think the point that Goodshape was trying to make was that the Harry Potter movie is not in any way, shape, or form an actual movie. It is merely a promotional tie-in for all of the merchandise that is already hitting the shelves just in time for Christmas. Director, Chris Columbus, has already said that he's going to be still cutting the film as he's running into the Cinema for it to be shown - if a director has not had time to produce what he thinks is a finished product, what is the point? Is the quality of the finished product worth sacrificing, just so that product can be ready for the pre-christmas buying rush? As both a consumer and a member of the cinema-loving public, I resent this. I fail to see how a half-finished movie (or any movie starring Robbie Coltrane, for that matter) could garner "Movie of the year"

Then again, perhaps it's all just because, like I said, I didn't "get" Harry Potter.

One final note -
    [sarcasm]
    D'OH!!!!

do the police know?
    [/sarcasm]
    There is, quite honestly, nothing worse than people using excessive amounts of sarcasm (especially when they actually bracket the fact) in an argument. It's easily the quickest way to make you look like a dickless fuckwit.

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Speaking as someone who has read the philospher's stone, and not "gotten it", allow me to add my 0.0254 euros.

should i really take into consideration someone who cant 'get' a book aimed at 11 year olds?
    Because, my good sir, LOTR is one of the most-read books in the history of literature (actually, didn't it win some incredible title, like best work of fiction ever?). As such, the movie is eagerly anticipated by just about everyone who has read the books. Even those that haven't still want to see what all the fuss is about. Let's compare and contrast this to Harry Potter, shall we?

ok, go ahead. compare and contrast.
    lets see, ive read the first 2 harry potter books over the last 2 days because i was curious to see what they were like. oops#! must have fallen into the merchandising thing. silly me, but i didnt know they had the book of the film out already?
    lotr.. hmm, must have read it about 5 times over the last 3 decades. looking forward to it? yes and no. like starwars phantom menace i will be surprised if it doesnt disappoint for the same reasons. oh, lets make it over 3 films too. yeah 3 books, 3 films. good money making plan there.
    and im sorry, but lotr should never ever win any such award like the best fiction ever. its good, not that good.
    All of this without a massive advertising and marketing blitz. All of this without a coke deal. All of this without it's distributor giving that oh-so-media-friendly soundbite "this film could be bigger than star wars".

sorry, i wasnt aware that the more hype a film has the worse it is in the eyes of the considered public. boy, am i glad you warned me there too.
    oh look, my film is better than yours.
    sad.

I think the point that Goodshape was trying to make was that the Harry Potter movie is not in any way, shape, or form an actual movie. It is merely a promotional tie-in for all of the merchandise that is already hitting the shelves just in time for Christmas. Director, Chris Columbus, has already said that he's going to be still cutting the film as he's running into the Cinema for it to be shown - if a director has not had time to produce what he thinks is a finished product, what is the point? Is the quality of the finished product worth sacrificing, just so that product can be ready for the pre-christmas buying rush? As both a consumer and a member of the cinema-loving public, I resent this. I fail to see how a half-finished movie (or any movie starring Robbie Coltrane, for that matter) could garner "Movie of the year"

who said it would be movie of the year?
    i ceratinly didnt.
    oh no i didnt, go back and read.....
    oh no a movie starring robbie coltrain could never be film of the year. what about one starring chris o'donnell?
    its not a film?
    oh, it must be double episode thing then is it? bit like the ridiculous star trek movies?

Then again, perhaps it's all just because, like I said, I didn't "get" Harry Potter..

does it really matter if you get it or not?
    its a film.

One final note -

There is, quite honestly, nothing worse than people using excessive amounts of sarcasm (especially when they actually bracket the fact) in an argument. It's easily the quickest way to make you look like a dickless fuckwit.

youd be surprised how many people here let sarcasm slip over their little heads. i see irony has probably pased you by as well.

one final note as well.
    im glad to see you get outraged at the mere thought of a crass film like harry potter, a 'blow in' should we say, arriving and someone proclaiming it might actually be good.

you see, the problem is that while you have waffled on and talked a not inconsiderate amount of rubbish, you have completely missed the point of my post.
    the thread is about a film called harry potter.
    some people posted that they would see it, some people posted that they wouldnt see it, some people posted saying they had seen it and enjoyed it. in my own inimitable fashion, i try to put to rest the talk of lotr because its a different film.
    you want to be outraged at lotr etc then go and make a thread about it. if you cant stand to here someone make critisisms, then dont look or turn away.
    dont however call me d1ckless or a f*ckwit when its obvious you cant put an argument together.
    maybe you just feel passionate about the whole affair. in that case, go and sit down.
    you will read back and see that i havent said anything bad about lotr. i have mearly said that its not going to be film of the year for me because i think (and i hope im wrong) it will suffer from the same problem as phantom menace.
    no attitude from me.
    in future try to read what was written and not what you want to see.

WWMAN, your a fool. I dont feel the need to continue the LOTR v HP debate.... but quite obviously its more than valid in this thread. The HP movies were made because LOTR was on the way.

Am I saying that they wouldint have been made anyway? no. But that dosint take away from the validity of the argument. released within a month of each other... ever so similer themes... one the most popular book ever (TM), the other the talk of the moment.... see the relevence?!?!

<EDIT>
    ...also, read back.. I dont belive I said anything bad about Harry Potter, not the books anyway. It simply pisses me off that such an obvious cash-in could subtract in anyway from a film like LOTR. My opinion could be changed when I see either film, but this is a webboard... its were poeple post there opinions on a given topic ffs.
    </edit>

WWMAN, your a fool. I dont feel the need to continue the LOTR v HP debate.... but quite obviously its more than valid in this thread. The HP movies were made because LOTR was on the way.

Am I saying that they wouldint have been made anyway? no. But that dosint take away from the validity of the argument. released within a month of each other... ever so similer themes... one the most popular book ever (TM), the other the talk of the moment.... see the relevence?!?!

<EDIT>
    ...also, read back.. I dont belive I said anything bad about Harry Potter, not the books anyway. It simply pisses me off that such an obvious cash-in could subtract in anyway from a film like LOTR. My opinion could be changed when I see either film, but this is a webboard... its were poeple post there opinions ffs.
    </edit>

yep thats right! whatever.
    similar themes? they have magic thats a bout it.
    so i guess die hard and towering inferno are same type movies as well as they both have large skyscrapers in them?
    still going on?
    say something useful
    snore.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    should i really take into consideration someone who cant 'get' a book aimed at 11 year olds?
    Allow me to elaborate. I read it. I understood it. What I don't 'get' is what all the fuss is about. Apologies if this wasn't obvious.
    ok, go ahead. compare and contrast.
    lets see, ive read the first 2 harry potter books over the last 2 days because i was curious to see what they were like. oops#! must have fallen into the merchandising thing. silly me, but i didnt know they had the book of the film out already?
    What?
    What exactly are you trying to say here?
    If you've got issues with people berating you because you're "jumping on the Harry Potter bandwagon" - please take them up with someone else. I have absolutely no problem with people reading the books for any reason, whether it's a result of the movie hype or not. Re-read my original post for evidence of such.
    lotr.. hmm, must have read it about 5 times over the last 3 decades. looking forward to it? yes and no. like starwars phantom menace i will be surprised if it doesnt disappoint for the same reasons. oh, lets make it over 3 films too. yeah 3 books, 3 films. good money making plan there.
    I think the main problem with people not liking the Phantom Menace was that most people were children when the originals came out. Then they (predictably) grew up, and probably expected the Star Wars films to grow up with them. Perhaps people were expecting some sub-Tarantino bumpf? "Use the force, Motherfucker!". I dunno - I personally dug TPM.It would come second if I was to list the Star Wars films in order of preference, so I can't even begin to make excuses for it.

As for LOTR - 3 books, 3 films. Where's the problem?
    I don't know about you, but I personally can't sit through a film for more than 3 hours. And there was no way for any director to try and cram all three books into one film, and still remain "true" to the books. I doubt the fact these films are being released as a trilogy was some cynical marketing ploy, I propose this is simply simply the result of a director looking for the best way to realise his vision. I could be wrong, though.
    and im sorry, but lotr should never ever win any such award like the best fiction ever. its good, not that good.
    Like I said - I only think it won it. Or maybe it came in after Ulysses. Can anyone clarify this?
    oh no a movie starring robbie coltrain could never be film of the year
    Okay, this was a cheap, facetious jibe at the quality of Robbie Coltrane's
    A. Acting abilities
    B. Choice of roles in the past.
    (I wonder how this fact escaped you, I thought it was quite obvious enough. Perhaps I need to bracket these comments to highlight exactly where I'm being facetious)
    Everything else I said was said in all seriousness.
    the thread is about a film called harry potter ... i try to put to rest the talk of lotr because its a different film.
    Let me refer you to the question in your post that prompted me to comment.
    Do you always try to 'put to rest' the talk of a subject by asking question about it? Odd tactic.

Please read over what I said. I kept my argument on-topic - The only references I made to LOTR were answering a question you had asked. The rest of my post was me listing the problems that I have with the Harry Potter movie. I suggest you take your own, bizarre advice - "if you cant stand to here someone make critisisms, then dont look or turn away". Just don't blame me for being off-topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

I went to see HP last saturday and i suppose it was fairly good film but has anyone else noticed how similar it is to star wars at times?
    i know star wars follows a familiar fantasy theme but harry potter is just takin the piss

• Advertisement

Allow me to elaborate. I read it. I understood it. What I don't 'get' is what all the fuss is about. Apologies if this wasn't obvious.

i was being facitious.

What?
    What exactly are you trying to say here?
    If you've got issues with people berating you because you're "jumping on the Harry Potter bandwagon" - please take them up with someone else. I have absolutely no problem with people reading the books for any reason, whether it's a result of the movie hype or not. Re-read my original post for evidence of such.

[/]

no, it was the point about harry potter only being released as a vehicle for merchandising. ie, the book of the film. i thought it was humourous. obviously im alone on that one. wel, we arent all as talented as me :)
    I think the main problem with people not liking the Phantom Menace was that most people were children when the originals came out. Then they (predictably) grew up, and probably expected the Star Wars films to grow up with them. Perhaps people were expecting some sub-Tarantino bumpf? "Use the force, Mother****er!". I dunno - I personally dug TPM.It would come second if I was to list the Star Wars films in order of preference, so I can't even begin to make excuses for it.

hahahahahahaha! i like it!
    use the force motherf*cker!
    brilliant.
    however, we all had different reasons for not liking this or that about TPM. personally i thought it was ruined by the likes of jar jar binks. the film wasnt menacing enough. i thihnk star wars was menacing. thats why i didnt like it anyway. well, not disliked, but let down. also, it was more a spot hte cameo film. would have prefered it like the oiginal, use all unknowns.
    As for LOTR - 3 books, 3 films. Where's the problem?
    I don't know about you, but I personally can't sit through a film for more than 3 hours. And there was no way for any director to try and cram all three books into one film, and still remain "true" to the books. I doubt the fact these films are being released as a trilogy was some cynical marketing ploy, I propose this is simply simply the result of a director looking for the best way to realise his vision. I could be wrong, though.

again you are taking me at face value. try to read into what im saying a little bit. dig around. im trying to make you think a little bit. i dont want to have to write an essay on mhy i wrote something in the first place :)
    and dont get all techy with me!

Like I said - I only think it won it. Or maybe it came in after Ulysses. Can anyone clarify this?

i wasnt taking you at face value, im quiet sure it has never won any such award. apart from being critically acclaimed its not actually the wonderfully written. entertaining and fantastic yes, good writing no.

the thread is about a film called harry potter ... i try to put to rest the talk of lotr because its a different film.

Let me refer you to the question in your post that prompted me to comment.

quote:

Do you always try to 'put to rest' the talk of a subject by asking question about it? Odd tactic.

erm, someone else brought it up, i was merely refering to it.
    Please read over what I said. I kept my argument on-topic - The only references I made to LOTR were answering a question you had asked. The rest of my post was me listing the problems that I have with the Harry Potter movie. I suggest you take your own, bizarre advice - "if you cant stand to here someone make critisisms, then dont look or turn away". Just don't blame me for being off-topic.

the only problem with that is that i cant see where you said youd actually seen the film or not, and if you havent seen hte film, you cant really comment on it as such :)
    which in itself is quiet amusing, as i havent either :)

i do have aproblem with someone turning around in a thread and saying something like,

well i thihk harry potter the film is a load of rubbish because..
    a) i havent seen it.
    b)i havent read the books
    c) lotr is coming out and i think it should be much better because its older and its been worked on for a lot longer and its my favourite book of all time.

now, do you think i have a little bit of a valid point here. i mean i can argue all you want, but to be honest my only point among all of my padding was this.
    i think the saying is, dont judge a book by its cover.
    sure, entitled to an opinion, its just the wrong one :)
    ...also, read back.. I dont belive I said anything bad about Harry Potter, not the books anyway. It simply pisses me off that such an obvious cash-in could subtract in anyway from a film like LOTR. My opinion could be changed when I see either film, but this is a webboard... its were poeple post there opinions on a given topic ffs.

oh and goodshape, if lotr is so good, it wont matter what is realeased a month in advance. it p1sses me off when people open their mouth and spew before they think. and i think its a just and noble cuase that all the money earned from lotr will be donated to charity. oh? its not? must be another marketing ploy eh?
    but this is a webboard... its were poeple post there opinions on a given topic ffs.
    amen brother. amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

take this from a person who never ever heard of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings before now and who couldnt be arsed to read the books since there are full length feature movies available to be watched on both subjects soon. give it a ****ing rest!! go smell a flower.

my mum has kindly offered to take me to see the movie (Harry Potter) to which im quite excited since i dont have to pay for the ticket or the popcorn. so im gonna take logic's advice and go see it.

adnans

oh and goodshape, if lotr is so good, it wont matter what is realeased a month in advance. it p1sses me off when people open their mouth and spew before they think. and i think its a just and noble cuase that all the money earned from lotr will be donated to charity. oh? its not? must be another marketing ploy eh?

well tbh, WWMan, my first post was intended to be taken kinda lightly... y'know tongue-in-cheek styleeE....

....i mean these are 'just films' for gawds sakes.....

.........but HP was planned produced and rush-released primarily for two reasons:
    1. X-Mas toys
    2. coz LOTR was looking like a sure thing.

whether or not the film is any good remains to be seen, and I wasn't trying to comment on it. As I haven't seen it. Because its not out yet. I just wish they took a bit of pride in there work as oppose to worrying what people will buy for christmas or what the 'latist trend' is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

woooooooooooooooooooow!!!!

calm down people.

On lotr, I would have to disagree with you wwm on the fact that lotr is not well written, I [personally] think that it is one of the best written books I have ever read (but this could be a caused by the fact that I have read the wrong books, but I acknowledge that that could be the case so don't technically analyse my post and start ripping the piss out of me AnyBody mmmkay), from the very first moment I picked it up to the very last moment I put it down I wanted to be reading it 24/7, but like i say thats just me personally.

On HP I unfortunately am in germany at the moment so i probably wont get to see the flick on the big screen (unless in german, or it is still in the big screen at xmas time), but if I was going to see it I would definitely like to read the books first... Whats my point ihear you all ask, well actually i just asked myself that and it appears i dont have one doh.

Anyways to wwm that sarcasm in the [sarcasm] brackets was just classic, I laughed for a good 30 seconds, keep up the good work.

Baz_

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Without getting dragged into Harry Potter -v- Lord Of The Rings debate, I'll say this...

I saw Harry Potter on 9pm on Saturday evening (did you say the premieré was on Sunday Logeroo? ROFL) and it was a really good film - not breath taking like I hope LOTR will be, but a really well put together flick that has something for everyone.

Anyway, it really could wait for the DVD, but if you are bored and fancy something different, give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

OK,

I'm not going to get into the whole b1tch-slapping which has been going on here, but I thought I'd offer a few morsels for thought.

People are complaining about HP being all pure marketing while LOTR is somehow different. Newsflash - LOTR is being released in three films, each a year apart. These three films were all shot together, and it will not take a year to finish each of the remaining two movies. The reason they are spread out like this is pure marketing - nothing more.

All you people who are complaining about HP being a "marketing ploiy" should really make themselves aware of some facts. First of all, the marketing surrounding your beloved Star Wars movies dwarfs that of Harry Potter. Secondly, JKR banned any product placement in the movies, as she felt it would not be appropriate - hardly the work of a marketing campaign.

Now, lets look at the books. LOTR was written over 50 years ago, and its fair to say that most people have been waiting for a movie of it ever eince they read the book. Does its age somehow lend it more credibility? Or the fact that LOTR is a more "adult" book? The simple fact is that in 50 years, LOTR is estimated to have sold close to 100,000,000 copies - pretty impressive. Harry Potter, on the other hand, has racked up 100,000,000 sales across the four books in just 4 years. While this is across the four books, the sales figures continue to climb for all books, and it is highly probably that by the time the 7-book series is complete that the sales figures will be in the region of 40-50 million per title.

What does this tell us? It tells us that Harry Potter is at least of a comparable popularity to LOTR, and possibly even more than that. It indicates that Harry Potter will probably still be remembered in ten years time, despite what some posters here seem to believe. The Harry Potter series is likely to become a timeless childrens series in the vein of CS Lewis' Narnia chronicles. Just because its new doesnt make it bad.

Also, I cant understand people posting here saying that "I havent read Harry Potter but....". There is no but. If you havent read it, and havent seen the movie, then you have absolutely no basis to make any assertions as to the quality of either. So do the rest of us a favour, and keep schtum until you have some basis to rest a case on.

As for the argument that LOTR was announced first, and HP is an attempt to steal the limelight....this shows a complete lack of understanding for how the movie industry works.

Although the major studios are in competition with each other, they keep a very sharp eye on the competition, and time their releases so that they dont clash. Its all about getting as large a share of the pie as possible, and this is done by not putting two giant movies against each other. Furthermore, it is highly unusual for a movie to remain at the top of the box office charts for more than 3 or 4 weeks. It simply doesnt happen very often. One month is a massive gap between movies in relative terms for the industry. It shows that WB do consider LOTR likely to be a major success, as you can be damn sure that they would have preferred HP to be a Christmas hit, as opposed to a November one. November, incidentally, is traditionally a weak month for movie sales - again further proof that it is not being set up to cripple LOTR.

At the end of the day, I reckon HP will take the no.1 slot for the year in terms of box-office gross. LOTR will hopefully take the second slot, but this is by no means guaranteed - its popularity is far more "niche" based than HP.

Theres only one thing worse than snobbery ("HP shouldnt do well because its kids marketing" crap) and thats begrudgery ("HP shouldnt do well because I want LOTR to do better").

Personally, I'm hoping for two enjoyable movies. If I get that I'm happy. All you whiners who want LOTR to be top dog should really give it a rest. WHO CARES if it is the top movie this year? All three have been shot, they will be produced, and you get to see it. WHAT MORE COULD YOU POSSIBLY WANT?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

.........but HP was planned produced and rush-released primarily for two reasons:
    1. X-Mas toys
    2. coz LOTR was looking like a sure thing.

:rolleyes:

it was produced because they thought a film of the book would be a good idea and *shock* make some money.

it was rush released because films aimed at young children (and those of us adults who will go to see it :)) generally do better at this time of year, and there is no major box-office release out at the same time (and not because LOTR is out a month later. they probably chose that release time because there are no other big films out then).

toys and merchandising are inevitable these days with any childrens film or major blockbuster. duh! they want to make as much money as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I've been reading some stuff about the making of the HP movie, some good some bad...I havent checked the veracity of all these facts, but thought they may make for some interesting reading, and perhaps start a bit of intelligent discussion as opposed to the "I want my movie to be better than yours" rubbish that most of this thread has been proliferated with ;)

1) Hollywood initially wanted to make Harry Potter as an animated movie, but Rowling refused them the rights.

2) Spielberg was rumoured to want to do the first three books as one movie, but this was also refused. (I'm skeptical of this one because of the next item). Another version of this is that Spielberg turned it down because of "fan expectations and artistic limitations"

3) Speilberg is interested in directing the thrid movie, as he reckons it is the best written and darkest of the first three

4) Rowling apparently only agreed to the current director (Chris Colombus) on the condition that she had some input into the style of the movie - she was concerned that his track record of movies such as Home Alone would result in the film not being "dark" enough.

5) There are persistent stories about the actors and actresses in the first movie getting relatively little pay by todays standards, causing the potential for problems in the second movie if the same cast is to be used

6) The excusive first-showing-on-TV rights for HP broke the previous record ($30m) set by Titanic. HP went for $70m. This is suppsedly where the "bigger than Titanic" comment from the producer originated.

7) The fourth book, The Goblet of Fire, may end up being produced as two movies due to the length of the book. Should this happen, it is also possible that they get released as little as 3 months apart (in 2004)

jc

sometimes i wish i could put points accross as well as bonkey has done so.
    bas7ard :)
    anyway, im half way through the third book, and still enjoying it :)

am such a kid sometimes. cant wait for the film on friday

• Advertisement

sometimes i wish i could put points accross as well as bonkey has done so.

...yea.... em, dont have much to say after that. Good points there likes..... but fudge it... i still want my movie to do better :p

...darn films gettin us all worked up.

Advertisement