Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Emulated Console

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So far the best host machine for emulators, outside of PCs, has been the Xbox, which is ultimately still a PC.
    But the Wii is turning out to be a fantastic machine for emulation, getting a headstart from the good emus on the GC.
    Coupled with the classic controller and SD card support its a combo that's hard to beat.

PSP is damn good for emulators too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The original version or the PSP Go? And a side question, has the PSP Go been cracked to play iso's of PSP games yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

PSP?
    And now we just slide back into the discussion of just how awful the analog nubbin is, and the rest.
    Ah well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

PSP?
    And now we just slide back into the discussion of just how awful the analog nubbin is, and the rest.
    Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

PSP?
    Ah well.

Heh, I was going to do that but then decided not to post :D. Starting to repeat myself. Repeat myself. Starting to. Repeat. Myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Is Raine still about ?
    I loved Rainbow Islands and Wrestlefest on that :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just can't play emulated games on the PSP. The controls are all wrong and the resolution is off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    The original version or the PSP Go? And a side question, has the PSP Go been cracked to play iso's of PSP games yet?

Sorry to hijack the thread, i didn't want to make a new thread for one question. Just a quick answer and i'll be on my way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've read that someone found an exploit through an old game save file, but won't release the information for fear of Sony patching it.

That's it really! You'll just have to stick with the standard PSP for all your emu needs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Aye Emu needs... Please dont mention PSP iso's cause we all know they make baby jesus cry and moderators very nervous. I used my psp for emulation all the time. I completed Super Mario World and Zelda countless times on it until the CPS emulators arrived.
    Is Raine still about ?
    I loved Rainbow Islands and Wrestlefest on that

It went unmaintained for a while but is back and can be found here It still emulates a lot of stuff far better then MAME (Speed wise) and was my emulator of choice back in the day for playing Taito and Toaplan games.

Anymore details on the emu's available for the wii?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say the Wii emulators are great. I use it to emulate SNES, Megadrive, TG-16, NES and Master system games. Works wonderfully and the resolutions are all correct thankfully. They are allbased on existing PC emulators so there's not glitches whatsoever and some of the newer ones even update automatially online which is a great feature. Much better than paying 8 euros for a shitty PAL version of a SNES game. There's a mame emulator but unfortunately it's rubbish. Can take up to 30-120 minutes to load a rom and some larger roms won't fit on the piddly amount of ram on the system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have to say the Wii emulators are great. I use it to emulate SNES, Megadrive, TG-16, NES and Master system games. Works wonderfully and the resolutions are all correct thankfully. They are allbased on existing PC emulators so there's not glitches whatsoever and some of the newer ones even update automatially online which is a great feature. Much better than paying 8 euros for a shitty PAL version of a SNES game. There's a mame emulator but unfortunately it's rubbish. Can take up to 30-120 minutes to load a rom and some larger roms won't fit on the piddly amount of ram on the system.

I already have it my wii set up for hombrew/ playing divx etc so I'll defo be looking into this. That's if I get a chance to play it as the little lady is playing through New Super Mario Bros again and it's hard to get a look in. (Apparently I'm to rubbish to for 2 player :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Im having real trouble getting sff running, anyone got a basic step by step guide??

The saturn emulator? Firstly you might need a bios and secondly you need a beast of a machine to run it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The saturn emulator? Firstly you might need a bios and secondly you need a beast of a machine to run it.

Yeah the Saturn one.

I downloaded a bios file.

How much of a beast??

Ive got a Quad Core Q6600, 3gigs ram with an nVidea GeForce 8600 gts graphics card.

That good enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

o1s1n wrote:
    I've read that someone found an exploit through an old game save file, but won't release the information for fear of Sony patching it.
    One of the VERY FEW SMART PEOPLE OUT THERE!

Ya got something good YOU KEEP IT TO YOURSELF OR YOU MAY LOSE IT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

can't believe anybody voted anything other than MAME

Dude111 wrote: »
    One of the VERY FEW SMART PEOPLE OUT THERE!

Ya got something good YOU KEEP IT TO YOURSELF OR YOU MAY LOSE IT!!

You're shouting again.

Exclaimation marks will suffice.

Watch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Opps sorry buddy!! (I keep forgetting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

No 2600? No Stella?? For shame...:( Where's the real retro section round these parts?? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

o1s1n wrote: »

That's it really! You'll just have to stick with the standard PSP for all your emu needs.

Think I mentioned it on one of the other threads, the exploit uses the patapon 2 demo, can find videos of it running snes and mega drive emulators, along with the required files. Don't know anything about psp iso's, not my thing. Have a psp go but haven't bothered trying running emu's on it myself

I'm going to get rid of the custom firmware on my PSP. Only useful for emus and my Wii and laptop do a much better job and I like owning my PSP games. It's also a total pain in the ass upgrading the custom firmware 5+ times every time I want to play a new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

mame and neogeo are getting some loving from me at the min:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Scorchio MK7

Besides MAME and Neo Geo (Neo Rage)

I love the KEGA Fusion Emulator. Its a Master System, Mega-drive, Mega CD, 32x and Game Gear in one and they all run perfectly. Plus the emulator is great for Video Capture.

Whats the best PS1 emulator??

epsxe, although it's plugin based so a lot of games require certain plug ins and tweaks to get the emulation correct. You'll need a PSX bios as well.

Cheers, is there another thats almost as good but maybe a bit easier to setup and use??

Nope, they all seem to be plugin based. The standard plugins are fine for most games but some later ones like Chrono Cross and FFXI require some messing with options and plugins, a quick search should bring it up. It can be very annoying if you have to have your emulation perfect because some plugins can make small changes to the games, particularly a bad sound plugin would really annoy me.

Given how cheap PS2's are right now, and how easy to get PS games are as well, why bother emulating at all the PS?
    Aside from the lack of a true portable version?

I mean, if you are going to all that trouble, why not just hack a PSP and use that to play the PS back catalog, aside from some missing shoulder buttons and an analog stick it's perfect.

• Advertisement

Given how cheap PS2's are right now, and how easy to get PS games are as well, why bother emulating at all the PS?
    Aside from the lack of a true portable version?

I mean, if you are going to all that trouble, why not just hack a PSP and use that to play the PS back catalog, aside from some missing shoulder buttons and an analog stick it's perfect.

Well there's the fact that PAL games are usually awful conversions that aren't worth playing so you are best getting a chipped PS2 to play the games properly which costs a bit extra. The hard disk exploit doesn't help for playing PS1 games. As for the PSP option, the d-pad and analogue nub are useless for anything that fast action games let alone the problem of missing buttons, analogue stick and the resolution being off.

Advertisement