Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Womans Place - The search for Equality.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭savoyard

The requirement for equality is a false set of demands and doesn't reflect equality at all. For equality in the workplace, you have to be just as available as a man, just as talented and have no intentions of having a child so you never have to take maternity leave. But to have equality amongst women as a desirable partner, you need to be open to the concept of a traditional family. You also need to be embracing your new-found independence in order to be equal to men, and not expect other people to do anything for you. You can't rely on support from the government, your employer or your partner, and if you go looking for it you may well be told that you've been shouting about wanting to do it all for yourself for long enough, now get on with it.

It's chaotic, unbalanced and shows no signs of relief. These days, if you're a woman, the only person who's really going to look after you is yourself.

Deep joy.
    :) Superwoman, eh?

As I said before, I think changing the world of work is the main way forward and I honestly believe with more men taking an interest in the day-to-day mechanics of childrearing and more women becoming the main earners, things will change. In addition, more and more companies are acknowledging that work-life balance is important and that technology now allows much more flexible ways of working (which can work out cheaper and more productive for the business).

I believe that the gains made by women in the workplace have benefited men enormously in terms of family life. It's absolutely fantastic that more and more men want to look after their children, that they want access to their children when relationships fail, that they want to be the primary childcarers, that they are prepared to make the same sacrifices in terms of career as their partners. I support that 100% and think that much more support should be given to men who want to properly share childcare. The problem is there's not a lot of role models out there and it will take more time for it to be acceptable. I think F4J is more about revenge than equality but you have to give them credit for putting the issue out there and I think behind the scenes, there are much more sensible people working out how to make things better.
    We've learnt you can't change the world overnight and if men want more family rights, they have to accept that it will take a bit more time for attitudes to change.

I have absolutely no problems with men having more to do domestically. I'm the main breadearner in our relationship. We plan to have kids in the near future and we plan that I will take statutory maternity leave and then he'll be the one at home.

We both work for companies that are very open about flexible working (working 80%, working from home, sabbaticals etc). His bosses have taken extented unpaid paternity leave and regular sabbaticals and have no problems with their emloyees doing the same. By the way, they're a very successful group of software engineers, not some PC paranoid quango:D. I work for an organisation that recognises that work-life balance is important and works around the fact that a large minority of their valued employees will be taking maternity leave at least once during their careers. Some people may complain, but the work gets done.

I'm very lucky that I have an extremely supportive partner and am able to choose the companies I work for. However, it is really tough going figuring it all out. My female friends and I are in the position that our careers are really taking off but we also know that if we want kids, we need to start having them now. We're trying to fit in conception around projects:rolleyes: I take my job seriously and I want to return to it. I've done maternity leave cover in the past and the women dove straight back into their jobs afterwards. Companies can work around it in many cases, but they have to want to do it, and the support of all employees is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

^^Interesting post
    savoyard wrote:
    I have absolutely no problems with men having more to do domestically. I'm the main breadearner in our relationship. We plan to have kids in the near future and we plan that I will take statutory maternity leave and then he'll be the one at home.
    We both work for companies that are very open about flexible working (working 80%, working from home, sabbaticals etc). His bosses have taken extented unpaid paternity leave and regular sabbaticals and have no problems with their emloyees doing the same.

...I work for an organisation that recognises that work-life balance is important and works around the fact that a large minority of their valued employees will be taking maternity leave at least once during their careers. Some people may complain, but the work gets done.

Fair enough. Perhaps it's me being a dinosaur but I feel the old ways are going to be hard to kill off - even if all employers can be got on side to accomodate these arrangements and not punish men or women for devoting time to their families.

Another thing is - what about people who don't have children? Things don't look good for them here. Just like the traditional man, who let his wife do the bulk of the work at home, they can put extra time and effort into a job. Will it be the case that this will not be rewarded by way of a leg-up on the career ladder because it would be unfair to people availing of parental/maternal leave, jobsharing arrangements etc?
    savoyard wrote:
    By the way, they're a very successful group of software engineers, not some PC paranoid quango:D

:D Ve hav only yor vord for zat!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement