Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collating complaints against IBB.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

novarock wrote:
    I dont think its fair of you to post his name if he was so helpful.
    So we should post the names of people who aren't helpful? I work in a customer service job, I don't want people plastering my name all over the place and making horrible comments about me. But if they thought I was helpful, hell, put my name wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

But everyone who reads that post is going to ring IBB looking for him. Just an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Not neccesarily. Most people have the good sense to start from the bottom. And if they're pushed so far as to look for the customer service manager then that's IBBs fault. Like people who call Dell and want to speak to Aongus Hegarty or Michael Dell - most of them have been pushed around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

WexCan wrote:
    Not neccesarily. Most people have the good sense to start from the bottom.

You think?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

At the end is the text of a message I sent to the Office Of the Director of Consumer Affairs. I have also complained to ComReg who have sent a complaint to IBB on my behalf. I would love to hear from people who have experienced delays in getting refunds from IBB with a view to demonstrating systematic abuse by IBB. I was waiting for nine weeks for a refund. I cancelled within three days of signing up. NO money was supposed to have been taken for ten days, anyone in a similar situation?

Also IBB have a recorded message that says the average wait time is ... 2 ... minutes. An IBB staff member confirmed to me that this message is fixed and doesn't change although it's set up with pauses and stuff to make it sound like it does change according to the real estimated wait time, this is a joke and takes the customer for an idiot, as soon as I find out who to report it to I will. They also claim in a phone message to be the leading broadband provider in Ireland, I have to check this out as I don't think it's true...

text of complaint to ODCA.
    Hi

Can any action be taken against a company that has sold me a product, the product was defective so I returned it for a refund (no replacement possible)... the refund then took nine weeks to be credited to my bank account and only then after numerous contacts over several weeks with the company requesting a refund. I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that this company routinely ignores refunds and many people experience undue delays, these delays are described by the company to each consumer as being unique and individual when in fact they are standard and represent systematic abuse of the consumer.

Is it possible for me to ask the company to demonstrate that my case was in fact unique?

The company in question is Irish Broadband and the product is their Ripwave Internet Connectivity service. (€18.95 per month)

In particular can any punitive action be taken which would result in the company losing more than the initial refund, if not the company will continue to act as it has with no fear of punishment which isn't ideal for the consumer.

There is also an issue of monies having being taken from my account before they were supposed to have been, these are the same monies that took so long in being refunded, if thay had waited for the specified period before taking the first installment no refund would have been necessary as I cancelled within three days of the supposed ten day 'cooling off' period. (my phrase 'cooling off', there was a ten day period of whatever name during which no money was supposed to have been taken)

Any help you could give in this matter would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Joe Ballantine
    end text to ODCA...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

novarock wrote:
    But everyone who reads that post is going to ring IBB looking for him. Just an opinion.
    And so what? That was the reason I posted it. He is actually helpful. He is capable and at least gives the impression that he is trying to improve things.

I would be against posting the name of unhelpful people but if a person is good at there job it should be acknowledged. He is in management and should be available to people for people to ask for.

I did not post his number simply his name. I can't believe it was removed.

No one removes Aaron's name from the VoIP forum when people say he is helpful.

There are several guys working in petshops who are helpful mentioned by name all the time in the Pet forum, their names are not removed.

I am sure there are examples in most forums where a person who is seen to be helpful is recommended, why can this not happen in the BB forum?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dan99989

MrPudding wrote:
    I did not post his number simply his name. I can't believe it was removed.

No one removes Aaron's name from the VoIP forum when people say he is helpful.

There are several guys working in petshops who are helpful mentioned by name all the time in the Pet forum, their names are not removed.

I am sure there are examples in most forums where a person who is seen to be helpful is recommended, why can this not happen in the BB forum?
    MrP

Why was the name removed? Mods? This seems a little inconsistent...

MrPudding wrote:
    He has authorised my credit. I still need confirmation that the credit has gone through. I await my next invoice with interest.

MrP

Qick multiple choice question for you all.

Q: Did MrPudding get his credit of 5 months subscription applied to his account?

A:Of course he did. Irishroadband always follow through on their promises.
    B:You must be joking!

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 peddler

did any1 else see that post earlier today about irish fraudband about the general manager martin o foole? lol was mental
    I also hear that the building they are using is full so they are moving to a smaller building.
    hmmmmmmmm, excellent decision, should be given the nobel prize 4 dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't argue with idiots, they will bring you down to there level and then beat you with experience

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

peddler wrote:
    did any1 else see that post earlier today about irish fraudband about the general manager martin o foole? lol was mental
    I also hear that the building they are using is full so they are moving to a smaller building.
    hmmmmmmmm, excellent decision, should be given the nobel prize 4 dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't argue with idiots, they will bring you down to there level and then beat you with experience

Because yourself & mo.toole are the same person I have banned you, don't register another account to get around a ban!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

Mr. Pud, I was promised a full refund as well, only after I involved Comreg, that was over 3 weeks ago .... still no refund! Surprise, Surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just spoke with IBB installer and he told me that the R&H Hall High site is in the process of being upgraded over the past two weeks, this I might add while he was installing a Breeze aerial on the front of a building without planning permission... Now where did I put the City Council Planning Inspectors number??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

I complained to ComReg and The Consumer Assoc. about Irish Broadband not refunding me my money for over a month a few weeks ago. I got a call from a lovely lady at The Consumer Assoc. who said that mine was the only complaint about Irish Broadband to cross her desk in months. She was well prepared to do something as Irish Broadband had flagrantly broken the law but they had issued the refund at this stage so nothing could be done.
    It is a big problem that companies know they can abuse the consumer and then make amends if the consumer complains and Irish regulatory bodies are powerless, none of them seem to be able to actually punish companies for systematic abuse.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Just spoke with IBB installer and he told me that the R&H Hall High site is in the process of being upgraded over the past two weeks, this I might add while he was installing a Breeze aerial on the front of a building without planning permission... Now where did I put the City Council Planning Inspectors number???
    Dude, are you serious?!
    You're complaining because they installed an antenna on your roof and didn't apply for planning permission first to do this?!! It's up to you, and not a company do apply for planning if it's needed. If you're in breach of planning restrictions because of this, then it's entirely your own doing as you were told what was involved, and I'm sorry to say this, but deserve to pay whatever applicable fines as such. IBB may have their faults, but this is simply taking the piss!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Download Speed: 262kBps
    Upload Speed: 590kBps

QOS: 69%
    14ms Round Trip Time
    107ms Maximum Pause

Got these from Irish ISP Test. Does anyone think this is taking the piss a bit for a 1Mb Line (after they'd the cheek to tell me they had upgraded it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

sisyphus wrote:
    Dude, are you serious?!
    You're complaining because they installed an antenna on your roof and didn't apply for planning permission first to do this?!! It's up to you, and not a company do apply for planning if it's needed. If you're in breach of planning restrictions because of this, then it's entirely your own doing as you were told what was involved, and I'm sorry to say this, but deserve to pay whatever applicable fines as such. IBB may have their faults, but this is simply taking the piss!!

Maybe you need glasses but where in my post did I say it was MY building???

And regarding the planning: The company is responsible if they don't first confirm with the property owner and ensure planning has been complied with, this goes for IBB, Sky (the actual installer is the party held responible here) or Jimmy Blogs...

And yes, I was winding up the installer as I first asked him if packet loss was an key part of IBBs network to which he just started to laugh and shake his head.

Look (or in your case) Read before you post :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Can you believe 7 months after i cancelled IBB are STILL sending me invoice's by e-mail,i gave up some time back asking them not to so i just delete now,anyone else in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

got my refund - AT LONG LAST!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

And regarding the planning: The company is responsible if they don't first confirm with the property owner and ensure planning has been complied with, this goes for IBB, Sky (the actual installer is the party held responible here) or Jimmy Blogs...

off topic: got a reference for this? nothing to do with IBB to be honest, more interested in implications for Sky dishes.

My refund hit my bank account today. Sweet!

Credit where credit is due. I asked for and received a refund, my connection has been perfect since the "upgrade" which is over a month now and the time to speak to someone in support has dropped dramatically. Oh and I love the dart driver ad they have running.

Is this a sign of things to come or just a short term blip?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 starcrown

I can send mail from my IBB e-mail address but cannot receive messages. When I attempt to do so the Mail program on both my desktop & laptop Mac (running the latest version of Mac OS X) says that the IBB POP3 server (which - curiously - is named stmp.irishbroadband.ie) rejects my password as invalid. This has happened with three different username/password conbinations set up by three different IBB techies. Eudora (Mac) and telnetting into the server via Terminal (the Unix level of Mac OS X) all give similar error messages. A friend trying to set up the same username/password combination on his Mac at a different location also obtained the same error messages with Mail and Terminal. The last person that I spoke to at IBB (yesterday) insisted that the problem was a 'faulty program' on my Mac which, given that it occurs on three different computers at two different locations, seems to be nonsense - especially as, prior to switching to IBB, I had no difficulty in connecting to the Eircom POP3 server. In addition talking to a techie for 30 minutes on the phone only to be cut off and have to start at the beginning with a different person only to be cut off again .... and so on is pushing my bloodpressure to dangerous levels. Has anyone some light to shed on this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

starcrown wrote:
    I can send mail from my IBB e-mail address but cannot receive messages. When I attempt to do so the Mail program on both my desktop & laptop Mac (running the latest version of Mac OS X) says that the IBB POP3 server (which - curiously - is named stmp.irishbroadband.ie) rejects my password as invalid. This has happened with three different username/password conbinations set up by three different IBB techies. Eudora (Mac) and telnetting into the server via Terminal (the Unix level of Mac OS X) all give similar error messages. A friend trying to set up the same username/password combination on his Mac at a different location also obtained the same error messages with Mail and Terminal. The last person that I spoke to at IBB (yesterday) insisted that the problem was a 'faulty program' on my Mac which, given that it occurs on three different computers at two different locations, seems to be nonsense - especially as, prior to switching to IBB, I had no difficulty in connecting to the Eircom POP3 server. In addition talking to a techie for 30 minutes on the phone only to be cut off and have to start at the beginning with a different person only to be cut off again .... and so on is pushing my bloodpressure to dangerous levels. Has anyone some light to shed on this nonsense?

Hi Star

First off who is hosting your email. I have three different email accounts and I pull my mail from THEIR servers, my techeads 1, eircom and esatclear all using the pop or mail server (pop.esatclear.ie, mail1.eircom.net). smtp.irishbroadband.ie is for sending mail only, if you try sending your mail through the eircom or esat server you'll get an error, the same for IBB's smtp server. If you email address was star@irishbroadband.ie then yes you can pull your mail from mail or pop.irishbroadband.ie but they don't offer that service as far as I know.

So with your original username and password for your mail accounts, enter the appropriate settings in your accounts preferences in Mail.app and that should sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

starcrown wrote:

sending mail uses a smtp (assume your stmp was a typo!) server. probably the only authentication it needs is to see that your IP is on the IBB network. i.e. it most likely doesn't need to check you password, that's why you can send mail.

To receive mail you need to login to a pop3 server. definitely need username/password so only you can get the mail.

The pop and smtp services could be running on the same server hence the same name.

nslookup smtp.irishbroadband.ie gives 62.231.32.12 & 62.231.32.13
    I havn't seen a nslookup give 2 addresses before, maybe someone else might comment on this.

As for pop.irishbroadband.ie & pop3.irishbroadband.ie (what you might expect the pop server to be called) nslookup says they're both aliases for smtp.irishbroadband.ie

Are you trying to get your IBB mail at home (i.e you'e on the IBB network) or elsewhere. maybe the pop server won't work if you're on the wrong network.

but more likely your username/password not properly set.

also pop3 would fail if any firewall / router was blocking port 25
    (don't think you would get as far as password then)

my suggestion, disconnect any router (if you have one) and connect pc/mac direct to IBB radio. try the 2 ip addresses in turn. (in case one is pop and 1 smtp and IBB have messed up)

connect to a different POP3 server to verify your end ok (if not already done with that setup)
    Get confirmation that IBB are using POP3, you never know!

nialler wrote:
    Hi Star
    If you email address was star@irishbroadband.ie then yes you can pull your mail from mail or pop.irishbroadband.ie but they don't offer that service as far as I know.

It's been mentioned on here before that IBB do indeed provide ***@irishbroadband.ie email addresses if you ask for them (though never seen that advertised anywhere)

if it's not an IBB email a/c then connect to your email provider's POP server not IBB's.

also FYI Star, this might have gotten more focus if was posted as new thread rather than lost at end of IBB complaints thread (maybe mods can move)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html

small claims court...all of you...why not??

Dave_W

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Xennon wrote:
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html

small claims court...all of you...why not??

Dave_W

Only useful if you have suffered loss, out of pocket as such. It can't be used for compensation claims, ie: you are unable to claim for, say, €1,000 on the basis that the company upset you and you want to extract some form of revenge.

On the other hand, it you have paid for a service, and not received it, that would be a different matter.

1013 wrote:
    On the other hand, it you have paid for a service, and not received it, that would be a different matter.

or if the service didn't work properly

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:

* of merchantable quality
    * fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    * as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Feoras

So we are agreed that the service is rubbish. What are the alternatives?

I want a DSL connection (not ADSL). I want at least a 2MB download speed and I want a 2MB upload speed. I want no cap. (all the things promised by IBB but not delivered).

I live in Clondalkin (beside the Siac Building). I am willing to pay up to €80 per month. Where can I get this service that IBB promises but cannot provide?

Eircom, UTV, ESat, NTL are all ADSL and capped (although UTV offer an option to buy out the cap)

Any other offers out there? Cash waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

starcrown wrote:

The reason you can't send mail through IBB is because since last Thursday no upload speed has been available to Ripwave customers. Rest assured though that Techie people are looking in to it!! I also run a Mac and have been successfully since October 2004. This is THEIR problem, not yours, don't waste any time messing with your machine or settings. I posted about this on another site, follow this link.

http://www.irishisptest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭krissrodriguez

yesterday around 7pm my IBB droped, and did not comeback, on to the antena, I have 3 small green lights, and a big red one, Unfortunatelly the IBB do not have customer service after 5pm and before 9am. What can be wrong? Is it from my side or their side? I've checked all the settings, and they are correct, still no luck, any suggestions?

Advertisement