Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are atheists at more of a risk of commiting suicide or becoming depressed?

Options
  • 27-10-2005 4:19pm

read an article in leitrim observer today about people who dont have faith in anything seem to think there is no meaning for life and get depressed.would ye agree this is generally true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

I read once that on average religeous people are happier, so its probably true. But being an atheist isnt really a choice to me, I couldnt believe in something I had no evidence of, I would know I was just deluding myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Did the Leitrim Observer give a source for this article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

read an article in leitrim observer today about people who dont have faith in anything seem to think there is no meaning for life and get depressed.would ye agree this is generally true?

It is true that groups that are hightly religious have lower suicide rates (such as Mormons), but it is doubtful it is due to less religious people or atheists feeling life has "no meaning"

A more likely explaination is given here -

"Religious Affiliation and Suicide Attempt" (161:2303-2308, December 2004).
    The American Journal of Psychiatry
    Social scientists believe that non-belief in God or lack of religiosity are not causitive factors leading to suicide. Rather, it is likely that religious belief that suicide is wrong is a strong deterrent factor that prevents otherwise suicide-prone individuals from committing suicide.

So athetism doesn't make you more likely to be depressed and suicidal, but being a member and a strong believer in a religion that outlaws suicide can make you less likely to go through with suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I agree with the last point. However I do often hear people saying that their faith helped them through really hard times, and you have to wonder how athiests get through really hard times without faith in some higher purpose. I wouldn't be surprised if there was evidence for this but don't know.

annR wrote:
    you have to wonder how athiests get through really hard times without faith in some higher purpose.

Properly I would imagine.

What i mean by that is I feel lot of forms of religious "strength" are just shy of full on self-delusion, and prevent people from properly dealing with the real issues facing them. I have often seen and heard about people seriously strugging to try and justify what has happened to them within some religious frame work (the classic "Why did god let this happen.."). This isn't healthy, even if they find some why to work it into that framework, and leads to longer confusion and more anger and resentment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd say that could well be a realistic statistic.

I'd agree that maybe the whole "suicide is wrong" element is a deterrent for those of faith but I doubt it's a major factor.

What it means is the faith can maybe help people find a meaning in life if they really need one. It's one thing to believe in "nothing" and go home to your wife and kids, but it's another to do so and live under a blanket on the quays. You're more likely to believe something if you really want to.

Like Thordon suggested you either believe or you don't. But when life turns around and kicks you in the ass - that's when your faith, or lack of, is truly tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

It's possible that rather than actual religious belief the religious community is what prevents people from commiting suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

I find comfort in my so-called knowledge that there is no meaning to life, and if there was I wouldn't care, I give my life my meaning, I've never been depressed at the tought of a meaningless life. But i wouldn't call myself an Athiest, I don't reject the idea of faith, I just dont believe in it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

"All around me are familiar faces
    Worn out faces, worn out faces
    Out and early for their daily races
    Going nowhere, going nowhere
    And the tears are filling up their glasses
    No tomorrow, no tomorrow

And I find it kind of funny
    I find it kind of sad
    The dreams in which I'm dying
    are the best I've ever had
    I find it hard to tell you and
    I find it hard to take
    When people run in circles
    it's a very, very

Mad world..."

Heard that? A beautiful song about the futility of the world. Our daily races go nowhere, we're running in circles. I believe this is what a depressed atheist could think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This may not be a popular opinion and it's based purely on my own observations rather than on any source I've looked up in order to add credence to it, but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway.

Perhaps it's because there seems to be a link between intelligence and depression?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

i'm an aetheist. i don't see how anyone who believes in some greater power would be less likely to contemplate suicide. deal with facts, not with fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

i don't see how anyone who believes in some greater power would be less likely to contemplate suicide. deal with facts, not with fiction.

If people truly believe in "God" and follow the teachings of Christianity, then they more than likely view suicide as being the premature destruction of what God created, therefore it is a sin.

Not sure about "contemplating" suicide though, but I would imagine that atheists proportionately "contemplate" it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Sleepy wrote:
    Perhaps it's because there seems to be a link between intelligence and depression?
    If it'll cheer you up, then sure :p

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

i'm an aetheist. i don't see how anyone who believes in some greater power would be less likely to contemplate suicide. deal with facts, not with fiction.

As am I. And I'm happy as a pig in ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If it'll cheer you up, then sure :p
    Who said I was depressed? :p

A thought just struck me reading this thread again.

Folk who are prone to suicide have obviously suffered terrible hardship, illness or changes in their lives. Therefore is it not realistic that they are going to spurn the notion of a benevolent God? If they become atheist (and who surveys suicide risks' religious taste anyway?) then it is likely they lost any faith along the way.

They die atheists, believing that no god would have let them suffer to the point where death was preferable to life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

TBH, I think Wicknight, annR and MrJoeSoap probably have the best assessment of the situation in that religions typically give an additional psychological crutch to those suffering from depression or other adversity and also act as a deterrent to suicide - after all, there’s not much point to the release of suicide, if all it does is release you to Hell.

The other theories being bandied about here smack of projection and over fertile imagination:
    • Atheists are statistically no more intelligent than the religious, agnostic or deist - such an conceit seems based entirely upon the belief that anyone who is religious must be less intelligent.
    • Someone who rejects their religion immediately prior suicide does not necessarily reject the concept of God or gods. That’s simply an unfounded assumption. They may simply reject that particular God or gods.
    Frankly, it’s not rocket science figuring out why statistically the religious are less prone to committing suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Oh dear, a link between intelligence and depression? I suffered from depression for a number of years, and while I have to say I *did* wander around dejectedly reading Kafka a bit more back then, it had no bearing on my intelligence.

Rather, I think my decision to renounce athiesm and have faith was an intelligent one, for me. It may not seem likely that there is some sort of higher concious entity, but it adds a pleasant tracing over life; it gives a sheen of purpose. I suppose, leaning a bit twoards Jung and the notion of a collective subconcious eased the voyage into faith for me. I find that for my particular sort of personality, having a personal faith makes life more enriching and challenging.

I find the notion that my faith means i'm more likely to be plebian a tad unsavoury.

Mind you, I can't be doing with that 'organised religion'.

I'd like to see a source for the OP's suggestion.

Is it just a casual link between the increase in suicide and the decline of the church's influence on young people? Or is somebody actually surveying people classed as suicide risks...

Out of curiousity only.

TBH, I think Wicknight, annR and MrJoeSoap probably have the best assessment of the situation in that religions typically give an additional psychological crutch to those suffering from depression or other adversity and also act as a deterrent to suicide - after all, there’s not much point to the release of suicide, if all it does is release you to Hell.

The other theories being bandied about here smack of projection and over fertile imagination:
    • Atheists are statistically no more intelligent than the religious, agnostic or deist - such an conceit seems based entirely upon the belief that anyone who is religious must be less intelligent.
    • Someone who rejects their religion immediately prior suicide does not necessarily reject the concept of God or gods. That’s simply an unfounded assumption. They may simply reject that particular God or gods.
    Frankly, it’s not rocket science figuring out why statistically the religious are less prone to committing suicide.

As I see it, less suicide among religious people depends on which religion. You have people committing suicide for their own faith's sake. I don't know if this has happened among Christians, but Islamic suicide bombers we've all heard of. But I suppose we are talking about suicide caused by depression..

Actually, intelligence has nothing to do with suicide. Many intelligent individuals have killed themselves. Happiness is not based on your mental capacity. The Times magazine had an interesting article about that where they listed the things that makes a person happy. Among them were: someone to care for/someone to be cared for by(family, friends, wives, husbands), a good self-image, a good mental and physical health(as far as I remember). Religion was either no 6 or 7 on the list while education and intelligence were no 9 and 10, the least important.

I'd say that a high intelligence or mind capacity can make you dwell more on things although I'm not sure. If you dig yourself into things it is easier to see the hopelessness in things around you and inside of you. Maybe this means anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

"O, that this too solid flesh would melt,
    thaw, and resolve itself into a dew!
    Or that the Everlasting had not fixt
    His canon 'gainst self-slaughter!"

Vangelis wrote:
    I don't know if this has happened among Christians, but Islamic suicide bombers we've all heard of. But I suppose we are talking about suicide caused by depression..

Slightly off topic, but Islamic "suicide" bombers don't actually believe their actions are in fact suicide, any more than you can say the soldiers on the beach at Gallipoli commited "suicide"

Okay, it's irrelevant then.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Correlation does not imply causation - Atheists may be more depressed than theists, but are they depressed because they are atheists or did they become atheists because they had more negative life experiences which led them to conclude that God did not exist. Whilst it is difficult to prove, I would be more inclined to believe that the latter is far more likely to be the cause of this phenomenon.

Neuro wrote:
    Correlation does not imply causation - Atheists may be more depressed than theists, but are they depressed because they are atheists or did they become atheists because they had more negative life experiences which led them to conclude that God did not exist. Whilst it is difficult to prove, I would be more inclined to believe that the latter is far more likely to be the cause of this phenomenon.

That is a good point. :) But one can't blame depression in atheists on religion. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Vangelis wrote:
    Actually, intelligence has nothing to do with suicide.

Time to burst this bubble.
    Atheists are statistically no more intelligent than the religious, agnostic or deist - such an conceit seems based entirely upon the belief that anyone who is religious must be less intelligent.

This is incorrent - see here and here. There do seem to be a lot of unsubstantiated 'facts' being presented in this thread.

I am always interested in other viewpoints. :) The article I read in the Times magazine stated otherwise though. (I don't have this magazine so you will have to choose to believe me or not.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think it has got to do with your personality and how well you hold up to things.If intelligence comes into it,meh.
    I havn't actually given much thought to committing suicide no matter how depressed I have been,I think it is pointless,selfish and I would rather just suffer.Other people might be different and just choose to end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I would disagree...

I am an atheist and because i know that there is nothing after life for me, i would be more inclined to live life to the full and wouldn't contemplate suicide because once i die that's it....my body rots away and i'm gone

I suppose religious people would have more of the happy feeling in their head because they more than likely believe that when they die it's going to be some utopia and they're going to see all their loved ones again...so when they know they're about to die, at least there will be something they can look forward to. Though if i become ill and know i'm dying, i will probably be a hell of a lot more depressed because i've nothing after death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

i'm an atheist - thank god.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement