Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and cons of doing transition year?

Options
  • 26-10-2005 4:13pm

i skipped transition year when i was in school but my bro wants to do it next year!so if anybody doing it could tell me what their opinions are!is it worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Cons: too many useless projects
    Pros: trips and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Pros:
    1) You get a year to do things that you can only do in school/when you're young, like the Young Scientists Exhibition, Gaisce award etc. (you mightn't be able to do this in other years because of study).
    2) You get another year to choose what subjects you'd like to do for Leaving Cert, and you get to try some of them out.
    3) You get another year of education for the LC, which leads to better results.
    4) You have a lot of fun and it's a memorable experience.
    5) You get a break from studying and homeowrk and subjects are less acidemic based.
    6) You make loads of new friends.
    7) You do different subjects like Photography, Criminology which you might develop a hobbie out of.
    8) You do useful courses like ECDL and First Aid.
    There are probably more I missed.

Cons: 1) You might lose contact with friends who skipped TY and went straight into 5th year. (Which also applies if you skip TY and your friends did it)
    2) You get out of school quicker if you skip it. (which, when you look back when you're older, could be a bad thing)
    There are probably more cons too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Halo

ty.........what a waste of time. totally regret doing it:rolleyes:

you made some good points there diarm!although i think if i did ty id get bored and hate the next two years!you can do gaisce and 1st aid in 4th year!

yea same in my school. we can do kickboxing too :p

• Advertisement

We're doing Judo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

It really got me out of the swing of doing any work and i was enver able to get back into doing any decent study.

I never really did decent study so it doesn't make a difference for me.
    I hear that a lot, people saying that they couldn't get into the studying mood after but our teacher told us that it only happens to about 1 in 25 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

I went from gettign the best JC in the whole year to only around 50points over the year average (which tbh is high for an average) in the LC. If you managed to disciplin yourself to doing even just a bit of work it's probably fine but I didn't do a stroke. Maybe just concentrate on maths and a language or something for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

For some people it can be a really useful year in which they get to try new things etc. as Diarmsquid said, but for others it can be a big waste of time. Really, as we keep being told, you get as much out of TY as you put in, if you sign up for lots of things, get involved, do the work you're set, it will really benefit you. If, however, you're a lazy bum, the year will be a doss, but you'll forget everything you've learnt, be bored and forget how to study.

It's up to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Pros: The best school year I've ever had. Everyday was spent taking the piss out of each other and the teachers. Did the ECDL and went to Carlingford for a few days.

Cons: My brain is officially made from cotton now. I'm rightly fecked for the leaving in a few months time but I dont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yep, I'm the same as the above post. Best fun ever, I used to love going into school. All we did was mess and have a laugh. It completely melted my brain for the leaving cert though. It was the end of 5th year before I'd managed to get back into 'work mode'. I didn't have a choice of doing transition yeah, if somebody were to ask me now if it is a good idea to do I would definitely tell them yes. You'll have the best time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

i totally regret doin TY. it was a complete waste of time. my brain is officially gone now. i cant study or even concentrate in class anymore.

I could never concentrate in class! Unless it was my beloved science....or even more beloved maths.....okay, I couldn't concentrate in history! But I don't think I'll enjoy this year more than I'd have enjoyed fifth year with my friends. Though we were learning some oddly sexual moves in judo today, which is always fun...:)

Maths are you insane rofl!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Got a problem with maths?

*reflexes angles*

its the scurge of most of us. And history??? whats wrong with history :p

I like Maths too, getting the right answers in Maths is a great feeling. better than secks!

Diarmsquid wrote:
    better than secks!
    how would you know :eek:

Don't Deny It Jakkass!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

TY is good for me cos I'm doing loads of stuff outside school that I dont want to have to drop yet, but if I wasn't I definatly would have skipped it, for alot of people it's a waste of time, especially if you know what you want to do when you leave school (which I don't)

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Don't Deny It Jakkass!
    lol maths sucks and you know it :p

I'm sorry, you're wrong!

languages in general are my best subjects anyway :p

Jakkass wrote:
    Diarmsquid wrote:
    better than secks!
    how would you know :eek:
    I was talking about that.

:p oh were you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Halo wrote:
    ty.........what a waste of time. totally regret doing it:rolleyes:

100% agree. It was the first transition year in my school and what a sham it was. Depending on the school and the activities involved all transition year is doing is putting your overall education on hold. So unless you get your drivers license, learn a new language fluently, go on a trip abroad don't do it, it's a pain inducing waste of time.

too late :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

TY is great! I am really enjoying it! It's a great chance to make new friends and find out what you really like doing and to take up new stuff.

As Flash said before, you get back what you put in, and all that stuff about not being able to study when you go into fifth year, well I'd say that it's more that you can't be arsed, not that TY actually made it harder. I'm working in TY and learning stuff so if you aren't/didn't then maybe it was because you weren't listening in class? Just a thought....

If you get into it and are willing to do a bit of work to make it better then I think you'll get loads out of TY. I'm so glad I'm doing it.

And maths is great! :)

• Advertisement

lol perhaps if i wasnt such a lazy student :p hmm....

Advertisement