Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTL == Time Travel, or not ???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**
    OK say for arguments sake that the particle when it begins to travel (visably) forward through time again it is parallel to the original - well as you mentioned before you would see (and remember science is NOT about what we can see but of what IS) 2 particles but when we see (at the Z time frame which I assume you meant runs parallel to the time BEFORE the particle looks to reach Y3) the original coment of the 2 particles colliding and seemingly dissappearing you would still actaully be left with 1 particle continuing onwards.

I still think you're misinterpreting whats happening.

If a particle is travelling forward in time it exists at timeframe X1, X2, X3, X4, and so on until something happens where the particle ceases to exist. Note that while these are arbitrary discrete points, the particle also exists at every timeframe between these discrete points.

So, let simplify and say that at time X0 it leaves its origin, travels thru X1, X2, X3, and arrives at its destination at X4, at which point it ceases to be of interest to us....but still exists.

Now, this particle is travelling across a distance, so we will mark these arbitrary positional points with Y0 thru Y4. We will term Y0 the source and Y4 the destination, because we know that the particle is travelling in that direction.

Were another particle travelling the exact same path, at the exact same time, only faster than light, what would we see? Well, because the particle is travelling backwards thru time, it would appear to us that it appears at X4 (time Y0) and travels to X0 (Time Y5). Why? Because we cannot tell that something is tavelling backwards or forwards through time - we perceive time only in a uni-directional manner.

Yes?

Put another way, if the particle was involved in some reaction at the end of its journey, in the case of our <c particle, we would see it travel from source to destination, then partake in a reaction.

If it were travelling backwards thru time, we would see it partake in a reaction, and then speed away from that reaction from destination to source.

Now, consider what happens when the particle changes its velocity in midflight. At some point in the flight, it stops travelling forward thru time, and starts travelling backward thru time. I am notionally defining this "transition point" as time Y2, point X2 (to fit into my model).

From Y2 forward in time, that particle no longer exists. It can only exist if it drops below c and travels forward in time again past time Y2.

So, the particle travels X0Y0, X1Y1, X2Y2, X3Y1, X4Y0. at no time does it exist in time beyond Y2 because from then on it moves backward thru time.

But at time Y1, the observer will observe the particle apparently occupying 2 locations. At Y2 less a tiny amount, the particle will appear at 2 locations (closer together) at Y2, the particle exists at one location (X2). At >Y2, such as Y3, the particle does not exist.

This has never been observed. Honestly. It may be theorised, but that doesnt mean it happens. As I said....I started this by questioning the fact that FTL == time travel.

The more I think about it, the more that theory appears flawed, whatever abouit the practicalities of whether or not anything can travel FTL.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The problem is that we have no way presently of determining if FTL is possible, as we do not know of anything that can travel faster than light. All we have is an unreliable equation that shows FTL can't be achieved. I don't think we will really know what can be achieved until we have a better understanding of physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Okay appart from the mathamaticaly equation we still have the problem of the effects of time time travel on other events..

Example!
    if time travel is possible then we get back to the grandfather paradox where you go back an kill your granfather, but if you did this then you would not exist, there for how did you go back and kill him??

some people say that there are multible timelines and so if you goback to kill your grand father then you are simply now existing on a new time line.

Personaly i think this is a cheat! and that there is only a singular time line but this for most people causes problems that will arise from the paradox syndrome.
    However! i say.. there can never! be a paradox because the past effects present, the present effects the future and the future is the result of the past and cannot be changed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well you may not believe it but that doesn't negate the possibility that it is science fact.

Scientists are currently researching this theory of alternate dimensions.

<sarcasm>Though in saying that, maybe if they read your post and that you said it was bull they may just catch on and stop</sarcasm>

hehehehe sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 So What!

Ok Id like to start by sayen that im only in 6th year in school and have only a basic understanding of phisics. I have to upmost respect 4 all u mad brainy ppl out there but id like to point out that light comming from the sun takes 500 seconds or 8.33minuts to come from the sun.

I love phisics cos i love to know how things work some day i hope 2 have as good an understanding of the subject as yea have.

I also do chemistry now that a whole different story I hate it its so ****en boaring. I only did it cos i wanted 2 know how 2 blow **** up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

HAHAHAHAHAH well that's how we all start.

I know we used to pur some flamable chemicals into people's sinks and set the alight to scare them. Also magnesium gives a nice shock value when they aren't expecting it.

Best ones so far.....People who lean over bunsen burners to reach for something and wonder what that burning smell is (at least 2 people in my class did that) and my science teacher......

2 points.

1st when we studied vacuums and he sucked the air out of a beaker, then while taqlking turned it in reverse to refil it with air but forgot to stop as we were all standing around him and nearly clocked a girl on the side of the head as the beaker shot off and to the back of the classroom. HAHAHA it was like that scene from men in black when he knocks the orb......

2nd He took us for Biology too and the day we did secsual (hehehehe can't type that word here) education and he came in wearing a paer bag over his head with 2 eyeholes cut out and a BIG smile painted on.

Advertisement