Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure programming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Often people's coding at home is dabbling and relying on what people have taught themselves for fun, for a production piece of software is not a good idea.

- Kevin

Hmmm. I can see where you're coming from there, but a lot of the code I write at home is in languages that I already know(i.e. vb and java). Now if I started coding in delphi my code wouldn't be production standard but it would be a lot better than a newbie's code. I have the experience to know between good and bad. :cool:

However, dabbling at home is a good way to get the proverbial foot in the door of a new skill. Hopefully you'll then start to get paid to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by Trojan
    Hey P! Just want to clear up a some confusion!
    Here's where we go off-track: yes, the company should train me, but no training course is going to teach me what hours of coding at home will. If I undergo their training alone, I will probably be able to do my job, and that's great.

But I am in charge of my own career, including making myself look good for advancement, for getting on good projects, and making myself look as attractive a hire as possible. I need to develop skills and update with new technologies as much as possible. Coding at home lets me do that.

Oh yea,
    I agree with you there.
    There's nothing wrong with someone doing that.
    Companies shouldn't rely on the person who's dabbled with PHP to write a content management system for example. He/she should be trained up or someone else should be brought in unless they can show adequate campability.

Also don't forget that a lot of open source stuff is production quality, and most of it was written in the days before corporations starting sponsoring it.. it was the hackers at home.

Well yea,
    I don't think most things people do would be to that same quality though.

- Kevin

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Here's a step in the right direction :)

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,63323,00.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement