Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Insurance

Options
  • 10-10-2005 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get bicycle insurance? My house insurance only insures upto €600 and my new bike it worth twice that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You could change your house insurance policy - the cover for bikes varies a lot. The hightest I've seen is €2500 per bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My house insurance is with Royal Sun Alliance, with AA as the broker.
    They cover 3 bikes, one of which is about the same value as yours. It could be up to e20/month to cover it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Im living in a rented house and have my contents insured with eagle star.Both bikes are covered the bmx is covered for 800e and the mountainbike 400e they are both kept locked in the shed when not in use.It cost me around 150 e per year.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thought I might revive this as I'm thinking about buying a €600 bicycle but I've been hearing a lot of horror stories about bikes being robbed despite extreme anti theft precautions being made.

So anyway on the insurance front I presume house insurance will only cover a bicycle stolen from ones house? Any other options out there for bicycle insurance? I'm really reluctant to spend so much on a bike seeing as it'll probably end up being stolen :(

Some insurance companies will also cover the bike while it's away from your house (Allianz for one). There may be an additional charge for this but not huge.

If you have a decent lock and take a few precautions, having your bike stolen isn't inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Some locks come with 'insurance' - has anyone ever claimed money back or tried? It might be an option as it will probably be worth investing in a good lock for that price bike
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I remember those locks in the 80's. I have searched a bit from them and cannot find any now. You had to bring back the mangled lock to claim, which is fair enough.

Some locks come with 'insurance' - has anyone ever claimed money back or tried? It might be an option as it will probably be worth investing in a good lock for that price bike
    R

A lot of people keep talking about these locks but nobody seems to know anything definite. It all sound quite dubious :confused:

Kryptonite offer their insurance in US, Canada, Germany, Sweden and UK only. Oxford offer it too. It'll be written on the lock packaging anyway but be sure to read the small print. You usually have to send the cut lock back to them - not much use if the lock is gone with the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

just thought id mention that i had my bike stolen about a month back (locked in dun laoghaire), anyway it was a gt outpost trail, about 7 years old, bought for 350punts. had it on the house insurance, something called new for old cover, means i had to go to a bikeshop and get a qoute of how much it would be to replace it with a similar new model, got quoted 899euro, should be gettin all or some of that soon for my new bike. i think the insurance is with allianz by the way-dont think theres a limit to the cover. ill let you know how long the claim takes and how much i get back if anyones interested.

• Advertisement

max_power wrote:
    just thought id mention that i had my bike stolen about a month back (locked in dun laoghaire), anyway it was a gt outpost trail, about 7 years old, bought for 350punts. had it on the house insurance, something called new for old cover, means i had to go to a bikeshop and get a qoute of how much it would be to replace it with a similar new model, got quoted 899euro, should be gettin all or some of that soon for my new bike. i think the insurance is with allianz by the way-dont think theres a limit to the cover. ill let you know how long the claim takes and how much i get back if anyones interested.

So you dont have to register the bike on house insurance, if it gets stolen just let them know and show proof of purchase I presume?

Where was your bicycle stolen from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

no, it ws registered on the house insurance. stolen from clarinda park in dun laoghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

max_power wrote:
    no, it ws registered on the house insurance. stolen from clarinda park in dun laoghaire.

Gah thats a pain in the arse...

Advertisement