Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omg Turn On The News

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by yellum
    Will there be a Nuclear retaliation ?
    I doubt it. I suspect that severl places will be bombed back to the stone age and bush will want to send troops into a couple of places to clear them out. Expect a lose of civil rights in the states and a few other countrys as a kneejerk reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

What can the USA do?
    I've Tourists from the states saying that there will be war etc.
    Just shows what they know about whats actually happening outside there in the real world.
    There is no country for The states to declare war on or attack.
    There is no Japan or Germany..no Vietnam or Russia.
    BUT there are Nutters out there...nutters who firmly believe what they are doing is right.
    They will also get there hands on Nuclear weapons..maybe not next year but definitly within 100 years...
    What then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

There cant be a WW over this.
    Not enough countries will get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

How could u possibly hope to fight such ppl, they've shown that human life means nothing for them, they kill ppl indiscriminately .... horrific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The CIA and NSA failed in their jobs today. I think the whole intelligence community did. This took a lot of planning and resources. No dount a witch hunt will occur to see what

America will become a very right wing country after this.

It will be hard to keep this nutters at bay though without drastically becoming a military overlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by beaver
    One of the head honchos of the Trade Towers has just said that from 8.30 to 9.00 there would be approximately anywhere up to 30,000 people in each tower, including staff and guests.

-Ross

The DIRECTOR of the World Trade Centre said in a live interview on FOX News that there would be up to 10,000 employees in each tower at the most during the day, and this would be at it's peak between 8.30 and 9am. Added to this, he said, there would usually be up to 5,000 visitors to the towers throughout the day on a typical day. So it appears the quoted figures of up to and including 50,000 people per tower are huge exaggerations.

He himself, along with the chief of the Port Authority Police had to dig himself out of the basement of the north tower after it collapsed.

This, according to the live feed of FOX News on SKY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

it's not who are america gonna kill, this thread should be wtf is happening over there.

to answer your question, yes, these people have shown what human life means to them.. quite a lot.. and by taking it they are making a huge statement , these are willing to kill themselves to make their point! I'm pretty sure they're gonna let the world know exactly why this was done - otherwise the deaths of their men were sort of pointless destruction - now pointless destruction for the sake of it.. that's the scariest form of violence!! - <now don't get me wrong, I'm *not* under any circumstances defending what has been done>. How will America fight them? By being just as ruthless and inhuman.
    Nuclear war? A bit extreme isn't it? And within the next 100 years? You couldn't be a bit more precise could you? Within the next 100 years there could be a weapon that make nukes look like party poppers, and it will probably be made from baking powder and a toilet roll tube.

has anyone got a definitive list of events? The one above was good but reports have gotten muddled since then.

ps. on another thread, someone said that this wouldn't have happened if gore ahd gotten in... I fail to see how this is bush's fault. I think this would have happened no matter who was in there because no president could live up the demands of the various terrorist groups out to take on the "big western capitalists"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Its been confirmed that a number of planes (around 4) are still unaccountted for.Its believed that the plane that crashed south east of Pittsburgh was shot down by American Aircraft

If you don't have access to a TV but have access to the net, you can watch the story unfold live here:
    http://www1.sky.com/sky_asx/news2/p2_live56.asx
    (Requires Windows Media Player)

--

An eyewitness said that as the second plane was approaching one side of the tower, she saw people jumping out of the windows on the opposite side to get away... over 70 stories up.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by LoLth

has anyone got a definitive list of events? The one above was good but reports have gotten muddled since then.

Start here and work forward by clicking "Later Stories" at the bottom. It's a fairly conclusive timeline of events.

If you believe in something , would you sacrifice you life to see that what you believe is right would happen?
    Thats how much these people hate america , there willing to kill themselves and thousands of innocent people to see , what they believe to be "evil" destroyed.

The FAA has just confirmed that 4 flights are missing and these are the planes believed to be involved the attacks , a number is now available for people in Ireland to call to find out info , if you have relations , friends etc... in America 1800 385 858 and 1800 401800

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I was in the states 2 years ago at a friends house.
    She worked in a Chemical plant and He worked in the trade centre.
    On the way home from New Jersey the one thing that struck me was the lack of security at the Airport.
    The people at the x-ray machine looked about 18..the were laughing and messing about like secondary school children.
    the didnt look at the screen as the people walked by!.
    Try that in Faro in Portugal....you wont have Figo the Security guard laughing and distracted.
    I remarked to my wife at the bad state of their security compared to Europe.
    Even Dublin had better security.
    Security will be increased in the states airports....planes may be re-designed so the cockpit is totally sealed off from the rest of the plane.
    How else can You stop crazy people from hijacking planes?.
    Oh and Lolth asking me to be precise over when nutters are going to use Nuclear weapons..why you want me to be precise?
    Its the point..the very idea that Zealot Terrorists pigs (womans quote just on tv) may EVER get a weapon of mass destruction should make you pause and think....
    And my reference to world war...I think you missed my point...which is, there is no real target for the states to strike back at.
    My Cousin hasnt rang home yet (she went to work there this morning).....and I havent got the guts to ring my friend in New Jersey to see if her husband is still alive.
    Nem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Nemesis
    I have and a few friends.
    My family and cousins are going crazy trying to ring NY to see is our cousin is all right.
    DemonBaby...:(

My sister and her friends work in the ground floor of the first one that went, luckly she's on holidays this week. I still haven't heard about the people she works with.

I hope your friends are alright. I haven't been able to get through to NY for the past few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by draffodx
    Both towers have now collapsed , each tower held 50,000 people , the pentagon is on fire , a car bomb has gone off at the U.S state department (unconfirmed) , there are reports that capatil hill has been hit and reports that there is another plane hi jacked and flying towards washington.

Each tower holds 10,000 people, a total of 50,000 people work in the four buildings. There were 156 people on the two planes that hit them.

The first building to collapse was the one with the observation deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Nemesis
    On the way home from New Jersey the one thing that struck me was the lack of security at the Airport.

Domestic flights are more like buses. Security isn't lax, however it is no where near the level for international flights. Europe has already had it's experience of planes being hijacked which is why security is a lot tighter in say europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

This is absolutely unreal is all I can say. I cant really think of words to describe it. People jumping from the buildings to avoid burning to death, sh1t like that. Its unreal.

I really do hope that as many people as possible were evacuated from those buildings before they collapsed. What is sad is the success of the terrorists, not just in terms of the scale of the attack, but in the timing of the attacks and subsequent collapses of the buildings. Emergency services would have had just enough time to get into the buildings, but not to get out. Thousands will have died while trying to help.

An aptly named "Chronolgy of Terror" from CNN.com:
    12:30 p.m.: The FAA says 50 flights are in U.S. airspace, but none are reporting any problems.

12:15 p.m.: The Immigration and Naturalization Service says U.S. borders with Canada and Mexico are on the highest state of alert, but no decision has been made about closing borders.

12:15 p.m: San Francisco International Airport is evacuated and shut down. The airport was the destination of American Airlines Flight 77, which was one of the aircraft to strike the World Trade Center.

12:04 p.m.: Los Angeles International Airport, the destination of two of the hijacked American Airlines flights, is evacuated.

11:59 a.m.: United Airlines confirms that Flight 175, from Boston to Los Angeles, has crashed with 56 passengers and nine crew members aboard. Emergency personnel at the scene say there are no survivors.

11:26 a.m.: United Airlines reports that United Flight 93, en route from Newark, New Jersey, to San Francisco, has crashed in Pennsylvania, southeast of Pittsburgh. The airline also says that it is "deeply concerned" about United Flight 175.

11:18 a.m.: American Airlines reports it has lost two aircraft. American Flight 11, a Boeing 767 flying from Boston to Los Angeles, had 81 passengers and 11 crew aboard. Flight 77, a Boeing 757 en route from Dulles Airport near Washington to Los Angeles, had 58 passengers and six crew members aboard. Flight 11 is believed to be one of the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center.

11:16 a.m.: CNN reports that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is preparing bioterrorism teams to respond to the incidents in a precautionary move. The preparation is not based on any known bioterrorism threat.

11:02 a.m.: New York Mayor Rudy Guiliani urges citizens to stay at home and orders an evacuation of the area south of Canal Street.

10:57 a.m.: New York Gov. George Pataki says all state government offices are closed.

10:54 a.m.: Israel evacuates all diplomatic missions.

10:53 a.m.: New York's primary elections scheduled for today are postponed.

10.48 a.m.: Police confirm the crash of a large plane in Somerset County, Pennsylvania.

10.46 a.m.: U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell cuts short his trip to Latin America to return to the United States.

10:45 a.m.: All federal office buildings in Washington are evacuated.

10:28 a.m.: The World Trade Center's north tower collapses from the top down as if it were being peeled apart, releasing a tremendous cloud of debris and smoke.

10:24 a.m.: The FAA reports that all inbound transatlantic aircraft flying into the United States are being diverted to Canada.

10:22 a.m.: In Washington, the State and Justice departments are evacuated, along with the World Bank.

10:13 a.m.: The United Nations building evacuates, including 4,700 people from the headquarters building and 7,000 total from UNICEF and U.N. development programs.

10:10 a.m.: United Airlines Flight 93 crashes in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, southeast of Pittsburgh.

10:10 a.m.: A portion of the Pentagon collapses.

10:08 a.m.: Secret Service agents armed with automatic rifles are deployed into Lafayette Park across from the White House.

10:05 a.m.: The south tower of the World Trade Center collapses, plummeting into the streets below. A massive cloud of dust and debris forms and slowly drifts away from the building.

9:45 a.m.: The White House evacuates.

9:43 a.m.: An aircraft crashes into the Pentagon, sending up a huge plume of smoke. Evacuation begins immediately.

9:40 a.m.: The FAA halts all flight operations at U.S. airports, the first time in U.S. history that air traffic nationwide has been halted.

9:39 a.m. President Bush is to convene a national security meeting immediately upon his return to Washington. The president has spoken with Vice President Dick Cheney and New York Gov. George Pataki.

9:30 a.m.: President Bush, speaking in Florida, says the country has suffered an "apparent terrorist attack."

9:21 a.m.: New York City Port Authority orders all bridges and tunnels in the New York City area closed

9:17 a.m.: The FAA shuts down all New York City area airports.

9:03 a.m.: A second plane, apparently a passenger jet, crashes into the second World Trade Center tower and explodes. Both buildings are burning.

8:45 a.m.: A large plane, possibly a hijacked airliner, crashes into one of the World Trade Center towers, tearing a gaping hole in the building and setting it afire.

For more as it happens:
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/11/chronology.attack/index.html

Lots if not all schools are closing here, also all the subway/buses/ferries are now free until further notice.

• Advertisement

www.rte.ie has been completely handed over to the disaster

The NY/NJ Port Authority home page gives a huge understatement... the only text on it being:
    "All facilities are closed due to a state of emergency. "

--

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Edud(sp?) Barak was giving an interveiw on Sky earlier today and he was basically calling for war against Afganastan, Iran, Iraq and the like. Will this turn into a scapegoat incident for inciting military action? Also in Bush's last statement the point of concern was in killing who was responsible rather than consoling those hurt. Will he lead the most powerful nation in the world into invading some country for revenge? Might he start a war over this issue??

>Also in Bush's last statement the point of concern was in killing
    >who was responsible rather than consoling those hurt.

Bush addressed the Nation twice. In the one shortly after the pentagon was hit he did console those hurt.

> Will he lead the most powerful nation in the world into invading > some country for revenge? Might he start a war over this
    > issue??

They are (a lot of the US Goverment) are treating it as an act of war. Any country helping the terrorists will be treated as an enemy.

Because it's an act of war NATO will have to help the US.

If you mean will nukes fall, doubtful, war though? probably.

It's funny watching the new feeds.
    - European news seems to deal on "Who did it"
    - Boston news dealing with the planes security issues.
    - Other news seems to be dealing the tradgedy. (getting blood, working out helping people).

I don't know what feeds you get, but Manhatten looks like it was hit with a nuke the amount of damage that was caused. At one point they had a camera at Ellis island and you couldn't see manhatten.

Boston city center is a ghost town (compared to normal).

I very much doubt the US will ever be the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

The world trade centre demolished the pentagon in flames a plane shot down 4 planes unnacounted for. There is nothing worse that can happen now the most violent act of terorrism ever.Bush cant declare an all otu war on terorrists so i dont htink nuclerar war or ww3 are realitys.At the mo .and the poor guys quote is he stated his name i was to shocked to notice it and then he said "were dieng up here" and hung up. I jheard it ont he bus home and thought my god this is bad i did not realiwe that the towers were gone its just so scary and bad.Words dont do it justice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Nothing is ever going to be the same after this. This is unimaginable. I can't watch it anymore...

Isnt Bush as bad as the terroist leader if he trys to set heads roling he siad a faceless coward attacked freedom , but isnt he a coward if he sits behind his cruise missiles and watches as they will (probably) hit civilian targets just like what happened in the U.S today , isnt he a hypocrite(spelling?)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

this is very bad i got some m8's workin near there. ..... hmmmm i cant believe that they would do it i know terrorism is ment to do this sort of thing but i dont think that it should be done to civi's . there is no reason for it . why did they do this building it has no military importance .

its about the same thing as what happened to in the north .

a this is just pissing me off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by draffodx
    Isnt Bush as bad as the terroist leader if he trys to set heads roling he siad a faceless coward attacked freedom , but isnt he a coward if he sits behind his cruise missiles and watches as they will (probably) hit civilian targets just like what happened in the U.S today , isnt he a hypocrite(spelling?)?

sorry but i dont think he is . if anything i think he should have a rapid action force rdy if anything else comes up and rdy to attack whoever attacked them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭corkie

Details of an operation that was as technically outstanding as it was horrific will no doubt emerge in the coming days.

Ananova: The pilots of the four hijacked aircraft were probably murdered, terrorism experts are speculating.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Seeing the footage of the crowds CHEERING in Jerusalum i felt sickened. Its disgusting :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement