Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefly / Serenity ? the Big Movie who watched it ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Eastwood is boring.

Yoda is small.

This is a Big Damn Movie!

Listen to the sig. The sig. knows all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well I seen it at and advanced preview a month a half ago. I loved it. It exceded all my hopes for the movie. I will be going again when it comes out at the end of the week. (7th of October)
    Its a movie with a great cast, fantastic script and jaw droping SFX and all this was done on 40m. Unlike alot of the crap that has come out in recent years. This is a Sci-Fi that will apeal to alot of people. Even those who dont like Sci-fi

Its also the only movie I have seen an Irish Cinema Stand and cheer for when it finished.

You may hear fans of the show and movie refare to it as the BDM (Big Damn Movie) Or even call it "our Movie". This movie is about because the fans loved it so. That the DVD's of the show "Firefly" which the movie is based on, sold so many. Even on Such a low budgit for a Sci-fi movie. They deliver in every moment of this movie.

I douth you'd be sorry if you go into this movie with an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

ive been reading some average reviews about it and the trailer doesnt look that great, it seems a bit fifth element-esque...
    im guessing that no matter what the joss whedon/buffy lovers will hark this as the 2nd coming even if its a steaming pile of poo....

Oh God, the trailer is so bad. So very, very bad. Believe me, the trailer doesn't do it justice.

Fifth Element-esque? N-no, not quite. It's hard to explain.

I guess you'll just have to see the film to find out. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

yea i probably will check it out...joss whedon's done some interesting stuff before (not counting alien resurrection!). whats with him and his big fixation with strong female leads? and now this wonder woman project? not saying there's anything wrong with that, maybe he needs to branch out a little...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Being born of terrestrial TV, I've never seen Firefly, but I like the look of this film, I'll definitely go see it.
    Anyone who has seen it, will it be tough on someone who's completely unfamiliar with the series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭slovessmg

You'll get a lot more out of the movie if you've seen the show, but I know a bunch of people who never seen the show and still thought the movie rocked.

Everything you need to know is explained in the first 10 minutes.

Some well established movie critics are calling this the best movie of the year, promising that it will make up for the summer's "average at best" films.

See the movie, Love the movie, Tell everyone how brilliant the movie is, See the movie again, Buy the Show on DVD, Enjoy, See the movie again!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

is it bigger than eastwood,
    better than Yoda

or will this movie just Flop ?

Don't even compare it to the ****e that was Star Wars. This film bloody rocks. Packs way more punch than the TV show too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

without giving away(too many :D ) details, does the movie re-write/ignore/follow on from the TV show?

Well I have seen the movie, I loved it. I know many people who where Fans and too "n00bs" to see it. They all loved it.
    With out seeing the show first. People have had trouble with the characters of Book and Inara and their impact in the moive. However they still loved it.

In terms of story and plot. They keep true to the TV show. The movie is set about 6 months after the last episode. There is a 3 issue comic that fills in that gap a little. But seeing the show and reading the comic are not needed to understand what is going on.

If you want to know who is a fan. Look behind you in the cinema, anyone with a look of shock on their face at the end. Has watch the TV show.... that is all I will say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

However who will actually go to see the movie based on the trailer could be worrying. It was on before the movie tonight and I heard someone say "Well I certainly won't be in a rush to see that". Let's hope that the trailer doesn't cause people to overlook a little gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

sutty wrote:
    If you want to know who is a fan. Look behind you in the cinema, anyone with a look of shock on their face at the end. Has watch the TV show.... that is all I will say.

Heh! You make me want to go see it now just for that.

saw Serenity last night, was surprised i only left with about 5 mins to go, most people in the cinema left long before that. For fans of the show, (which ive never seen) maybe it delivers, but without the series behind this it would not have made the cinema.
    the characters are standard, characterless, apart from the lead guy who is about a cool as a Lada riva. The black guy wasnt bad, but thats about it. It reminded me of a star trek series my flatmate watches - the one with the guy from Quantum Leap. -Tacky. This is not big screen stuff, its more tues night at 9pm on Sky One.
    Im not anti sci-fi by any means, but this is your Buffy style 'cyberdemonoids' teenager stuff and I wouldnt reccommend you see this unless those kind of series' appeal to you

for those of you who thought it was good, and loved it - tell me why because I cant see one redeeming factor for this flick?

Where did you go see it last night? Seeing as it is only out in Ireland today.

Im not anti sci-fi by any means, but this is your Buffy style 'cyberdemonoids' teenager stuff and I wouldnt reccommend you see this unless those kind of series' appeal to you

I'm interested in how you came up with this. As there are no "cyborgs" or anything of the sort in it. Theres no monsters, no aliens. Just the really bad guys, the bad guys and well the not so bad guys.

The reasons why I liked this movie where. While sitting in the cinema from the very opening moment of the film. I was eather laughing, sitting quitely in awe at the scines or on the edge of my seat.

The Acting was fantastic. Lets face it. In the last year or 2. Sci-fi fans have been left with movies that at best, had woden acting.

The plot Was great and played out really well. It has a start, a middle and a ending. They all fit into each other nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am going to see tonight , I watched a couple of eps of Firefly the weekend on the Sci-Fi channel as my mate recommended it as a good show . I have to say I am looking forward to especially going on what my says. :)

Saw in Australia last night - its been out here for a while
    Yeah true no cyborgs etc, but the whole thing came across as being a bit unbelievable....a serious lack of realism, which is the same sense i got from watching buffy a few years back

On the acting side of things, the black guy could act, but as far as big screen goes those actors are about as wooden as you can get. i really dont know how you can say fantastic??? the characters are filling roles that require 0 creativity, standard roles that have been adopted for the last 20 years in sci-fi, and none of those guys brought anything new to the table.

I think it probably has something to do with being used to the characters particular type of humour from the series ...but humour was mostly tacky one liners from the angry guy or the lead guy. do you not think all those jokes were predicatable?
    at the end of the day I think this film is for sci-fi fans, and fans of that particular show...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I've not seen the film, but having watched part of the series and al of buffy I think what you might see as a flaw I appreciate: I think both what you see as poor acting and predictable humour is a good quality, jokes predictable like somethign a mate would say etc

I think Whedon genius is in making unreal situations look like they are happening on your street (hellmouth in the school grounds etc).

I think its a way of seeing things you eitehr get and love, or don't. but talking about it being unrealistic means you are so "not getting it"
    I best book a tme to see it, presuming our crappy ciniplex is showing it

Saw in Australia last night - its been out here for a while
    Yeah true no cyborgs etc, but the whole thing came across as being a bit unbelievable....a serious lack of realism, which is the same sense i got from watching buffy a few years back
    I have to say, I find it more realistic than anything that has come out in recent years. There is lack of sound in space. (which is real) there is a vacume in all. The reactions the have to things that happen. Lets face it. Have the ship can come off in startrek or starwars yet as long as the bridge is ok. Then the ship still flies. Not everything works in the Serenity universe. so they make do with what they have. Which is more how I would think settleing on an other planet would be.
    On the acting side of things, the black guy could act, but as far as big screen goes those actors are about as wooden as you can get. i really dont know how you can say fantastic??? the characters are filling roles that require 0 creativity, standard roles that have been adopted for the last 20 years in sci-fi, and none of those guys brought anything new to the table.
    Its true that if you have seen, some or all of the TV show that you will have a better understanding to the characters. The acting is spot on. If you watch and episode or two you will come to realise it. What gets me is that they care about the movie they are in. Its not just a pay slip for them. Its something the love doing and enjoy. You can see it on the screen as you watch the movie. I think whats happening is you are compareing it to other sci-fi shows/movies and trying to relate it to them. But it just doesn't work that way. The ideas are fresh and the way the characters are played out is as well. How many Sci-Fi shows would have the captin of the ship, kill someone because they pi$$ them off or didn't do something they wanted them to do?
    I think it probably has something to do with being used to the characters particular type of humour from the series ...but humour was mostly tacky one liners from the angry guy or the lead guy. do you not think all those jokes were predicatable?
    at the end of the day I think this film is for sci-fi fans, and fans of that particular show...

Its true that you can at moments know when some of the characters are going to say somehing. But you dont know what is the thing.

End of the day though. From what I have found there are two types of people. The first is the person who likes Firefly/Sernenity. The second is the person who doesn't. Its a case of each to their own really.

i only left with about 5 mins to go
    I can never understand why people leave so close to the end. I mean, you've watched this far, you might as well finish the film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well in fairness, the film's not particularly realistic - having a bunch of planets, all different distances from the sun and all having equivalent climates? Heh - not likely :)

Now to the acting and characters - wooden? I don't think so. The characters however are sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek a lot and that may make them seem one dimensional. We've had the benefit of seeing them fleshed out but the movie doesn't really do that. Just because Character Z reaches a resolution that we've waited 14 episodes to see, doesn't mean the average non-fan will appreciate the emotional pay off.

The plot? Ho hum, it was good, I liked it, but without the appreciation of the characters, and their circumstances, it might have felt a bit flat. I mean chasing a rogue is hardly new nor is a well-spoken villain. The humour, etc. alleviated it for me but Whedonesque humour is an acquired taste.

The direction I thought was quite solid, with some great sequences. Can't really fault the SFX....

Just trying to see it here from a non-fans POV...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Ok just back and this has to be best film I have seen all year gets 10/10 from me. :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh you have seen the light. Come, my child.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was dying to go see it earlier tonight but got work at 9am tomorrow so i'll probably go the late show tomorrow night!

Cannot wait!

i was trying to watch it from a non-fans point of view and I imagine that a non-fan would not have gotten the connections between some of the crew in the same way that someone whp has seen the series has, but then its a different medium working on a different timescale.

Never the less its a great film in its own right, and a far departure from the mediocre films that plagued the cinemas this summer.

to those who have'nt seen it yet, avoid all spoilers! I accidently came across a spoiler on a page (off this site, nor was it marked as a spoiler) and it ruined a major plot point for me, but there ya go.

is there any word on sequels, offers of a new series etc?
    again, great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i actually thought it was more confusing for a fan then a non fan.

I went with 2 friends, i myself am a fan as is one of my friend, the other has never seen firefly.

The move was great fun.

BUT

There were elements that me and my friend who has seen the series got muddled on.
    Firstly (correct me if i am wrong) but Simon, right up to episode 13 didnt know *WHAT* they did to his sister and its only in a few episodes that he pieced them together. Yet in the movie he is told when he is saving her what they did to her, only some perculier details left out (why they did it)
    Secondly The preacher living on Haven, is not as far as i can remember mentioned at all in the series.

My other friend not knowing any of this didnt get muddled and enjoyed the movie immeansly, thought it had good characters, nice plot and was very entertaining. I agree with him.

On what my friend and i got muddled on, we feel:
    that the film takes place after a number of seasons after the 1st season that were never made. Introducing Mr Universe, saying Bye to Preacher etc

Overall i give it plus points on.

+Space battle scene is much better then episode 3's
    +Plot is great (though i admit guessing it during the series)
    +Characters were all as great as ever

what i didnt like.
    -
    I still never found out who the preacher was!!!
    -
    two of my fav characters died.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Firstly (correct me if i am wrong) but Simon, right up to episode 13 didnt know *WHAT* they did to his sister and its only in a few episodes that he pieced them together. Yet in the movie he is told when he is saving her what they did to her, only some perculier details left out (why they did it)
    Yes, they changed the storyline from the show a little. In the show, other people smuggle her out for him. At least that's what he says. :)
    Secondly The preacher living on Haven, is not as far as i can remember mentioned at all in the series.
    This is done in the comics which bridge the T.V.-to-film gap.

I still never found out who the preacher was!!!
    They'll probably return to this in a future manifestation of the franchise.

In other news, Universal have released the first 9 minutes or so of the film on the internet. Clicky. I can confirm that this is a reputable and official release. And it is the real thing. If you're a fan and are going to see the film for the first time in the next few days then just wait. However, if you're maybe someone who doesn't know whether they'd like it or who has seen the film and is trying to convince a sceptical friend to go then this is the thing you need.

Don't worry, it doesn't reveal any spoilers. It just introduces the bad guy and has some exposition about River and Simon, "Earth That Was" and the Alliance and the civil war.

In other news, Universal have released the first 9 minutes or so of the film on the internet. Clicky. I can confirm that this is a reputable and official release

cool, thanks for that I missed the first 2 minutes
    up to where they stick that thing in rivers forehead
    cause I had to wander and go look for a friend of mine who hadn't found her way into the cinema.

one thing though:
    From the series I always got the impression that they didn't know the location of 'Earth that was', that in the time since they left earth, the location had been lost, in fact when they found Miranda, I thought for a second perhaps that was some kind of code word for Earth

By the way , the Ticket supplement in the Irish Times today gave Serenity a great review, the reviewer suggested that George Lucas should be nailed down to a chair and forced to watch Serenity several times to see how a proper space movie should be made (in light of the 3 most recent star wars movies), the review also praised Whedons storytelling.

I've just finished reading the X-Men comic books that Whedon wrote, great dialog in them.

Spooy, what where the turn outs like in the cinema?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What a great show! Didn't disappoint at all.

i know that there were a few minor tweaks to the story, possibly to make it more big-screen friendly, but besides that, it was great.

i want more! I want a series

Advertisement