Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Polish

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭oranje

Hi all.

I'm Irish, but my mother is Polish, yet i cannot hold a simple conversation.

Does anyone know of any language schools or evening/weekend courses available to learn Polish?

Regards,
    Anna

I am always surprised to hear of languages not being passed on. My wife is Polish and we live in Holland but she speaks to the kids in Polish and I speak to them in English. My daughter who is nearly three speaks very good Polish and good English and understands Dutch from going to playschool but can only say simple things for now.

Anyway, as you have cousins in Poland and I guess that you hard your mother speaking it when you wer younger I would say that you have a big advantage becaus you will be able to hear all of the sounds which can be a problem for some people.

The book Teach Yourself Polish is an excellent introduction to the language but you have to have the willpower and time to follow it through. Another idea would be to borrow a Polish Linguaphone from your library (I imagine a bigger library may have one).

For me the easiest way to learn Polish was not through books or classes (though I did do some) but by just listening to Polish people and doing my best to join in conversations when I could.

Do you have Polish TV? Polonia has lots of programs with English subtitles.
    If not, as far as I know TVP are starting to broadcast programs through the internet. 'M jak Milosc' is pretty addictive and a good way to learn some more Polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AniaCh

Hi,

I'm Ania- polish native speaker. If you are interested in taking polish classes with fun in Dublin please let me know. I finish postgraduated studies in Krakow and have 3 years of teaching experience.:)

You can contact my by email:
    anna.chlebda@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AniaCh

Hi:)
    For all who are interested in Polish culture and language. For polish classes with experienced in teaching native speaker in Dublin. Please contact
    email:
    anna.chlebda@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zayats

Czesc wszystkim!:)

I am new here, looking for some info about studying Polish - some of your ideas I found really cool and will try them out.
    Basically I am intermediate now and need to learn on... It is good to watch Polish tv and read magazines but I need real practice so I think I have to get a private tutor, which is hard to get in the place I live (Russia, Irkutsk).

My passion for the Polish language started when I first went on a short trip to Poland in May last year and was lucky enough to find intensive courses for foreigners, so I came back this year in winter. It was a very useful experience for me - I had over 20 lessons a week - the course lasted 2 weeks, so after the course I could talk to native Poles - of course, not about philosophy, but could communicate - it's a great feeling knowing you don't need a translator to have a talk with somebody :) The great thing about the course was that we learnt not only at school but also in pubs, on trips etc. talking to random people and learning about Polish culture - and anyone who's been to Krakow knows how fascinating Poland can be :) It was great fun (first of all ;) ) and education too... That's how you learn best - through contact with the real language, culture and fun. Have a look at their page: www.varia-course.com. Really cool - this course, I might go there next summer again, but for the time being will have to do with boring books and maybe (a less boring) teacher if I find one...

Pozdrawiam i caluje,

Zayats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 annamaria

it is not problem for me- to nie jest dla mnie problem.
    I can teach you polish- Moge nauczyc Cie polskiego.
    If you are interested it, write me e-mali: mars100@interia.eu
    I am waiting-czekam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 annamaria

It is not problem for me- to nie jest dla mnie problem
    I can teach you polish- moge nauczyc cie polskiego
    write- napisz
    mars100@interia.eu
    I am waiting- czekam

Advertisement